Metal Storm logo
Board/Table Games you play (non-video games thread)

Original post

Posted by Bad English, 19.06.2007 - 12:16
Firts this is not about PC games

This tread are about games hat w eplay like table games or otherkid games

About me:
I werry offen play draughts and lil chess, also domino, I love play table games but since in nowdays ppl are more to PC i havnt play such games long time, but I wanna

alos I play football, moustly football I goolkeeper but also paly in field and soemtiems volley and basket too
but my fav game are table kockey, I play it since I was 5-6 years old, but that kind of hockey I play 10 years so nobody dont wanna play whit me, I win them all no destroy them all
17.09.2008 - 14:40
TK421
Account deleted
I'm far too competitive when it comes to Monopoly, and gets so annoying when you land on other people's streets but they never land on yours. In Sixth Form (school 16-18 here in the UK) we used to play a card game called Shit Head which is pretty addictive.

I've recently had a interest in playing Risk although the LotR version appeals a lot more. That and Warhammer. I've started collecting at various times but never actually played a game. It looks like loads of fun though.
06.10.2008 - 15:51
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
Written by heresiarch on 04.05.2008 at 17:58

Written by Guest on 04.05.2008 at 07:28

Written by heresiarch on 04.05.2008 at 02:52

I like to play chess , my international rating is 1850 --> compare best in the world has 2800

That's a decent rating, well done. How long have you been playing? I used to play online for fun and I had a rating there of about 1000 - and they say online ratings are about 100 points higher than in real tournament play. I really didn't stand a chance against anyone with an online rating over 1300, so a real rating of 1850 is hard for me to comprehend!
I started when I was 7 or 8 years young but I quit playing for many years and started again about when I was 22
If you really want to get better you have to study openings,middle game variations and positions , and end game ---> this is very easy to say , I have read over 100 different book about chess tactics and strategy and I'm still confuced

I used to play chess a lot with me dad when I was young but I just discovered it again and started playing. It's a fascinating game once you get into it, if there was no power for TV and computer games etc. I'd be quite happy playing chess instead. I've just started studying openings but there's a lot to take in.
23.10.2008 - 13:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I just got new table hockey(look pic in main post) damn first was bought in Sweden, this in Lv, realy idots work here, thay evemn dont know there shood be 2 players who keep stick to right side and 3 to left, I got all 5 players who hold i in left, I cant play it, can not defend good and use right forvard anymore But i dididnt trow old players away so I shood change it
Next time I buy player sin Sweden, need try diferent combinations for players
Big - are golay has plastic stick, (players iron) so werry powerfull trow goaly stick be brokken
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.11.2008 - 14:39
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Monopoly haha. That game is still very fun. also stratego. does anyone remember that game?
----
Coldgrits
17.01.2015 - 17:46
Mercyful_Kate
I just played Pandemic last night. It's a great cooperative game; a little complicated but very easy to learn in a few rounds. All players select a role with special abilities and work together to contain, treat and cure four different diseases around the world before there are too many outbreaks.

17.01.2015 - 22:18
IronAngel
Written by Mercyful_Kate on 17.01.2015 at 17:46

I just played Pandemic last night. It's a great cooperative game; a little complicated but very easy to learn in a few rounds. All players select a role with special abilities and work together to contain, treat and cure four different diseases around the world before there are too many outbreaks.

I got it for Christmas. Awesome game, really clever design. I like how simple it is - there's a bunch of stuff you need to remember to do each round, but like you said it's really easy to learn. Those few simple, elegant rules work really well to make every game different, allow for several strategies, and most imortantly, create a real sense of everything going wrong in your desperate struggle to save the world. Taking the infection discard pile and shuffling it back on top the draw pile after each Epidemic is genius, sadistic design.

I don't have very much experience with co-op games, though, so I may be biased. I really want to get Shadows Over Camelot one day, and it would be nice to have a regular gaming group to play some Arkham Horror with.

Board games are awesome, it's nice that nowadays there are well-designed games for adults. King of Tokyo, Citadels, Bohnanza, and Settlers of Catan are some of my favorites. Ticket to Ride is pretty good too, especially with people not too into complex games. Saw Munchkin mentioned above, though: fucking overrated. It's hilarious the first few times, but the design is too simple to stay interesting for long. The randomness is part of the fun, but it's only amusing for so long.
19.01.2015 - 16:31
Mercyful_Kate
Written by IronAngel on 17.01.2015 at 22:18

I got it for Christmas. Awesome game, really clever design. I like how simple it is - there's a bunch of stuff you need to remember to do each round, but like you said it's really easy to learn. Those few simple, elegant rules work really well to make every game different, allow for several strategies, and most imortantly, create a real sense of everything going wrong in your desperate struggle to save the world. Taking the infection discard pile and shuffling it back on top the draw pile after each Epidemic is genius, sadistic design.

I don't have very much experience with co-op games, though, so I may be biased. I really want to get Shadows Over Camelot one day, and it would be nice to have a regular gaming group to play some Arkham Horror with.

Board games are awesome, it's nice that nowadays there are well-designed games for adults. King of Tokyo, Citadels, Bohnanza, and Settlers of Catan are some of my favorites. Ticket to Ride is pretty good too, especially with people not too into complex games. Saw Munchkin mentioned above, though: fucking overrated. It's hilarious the first few times, but the design is too simple to stay interesting for long. The randomness is part of the fun, but it's only amusing for so long.

"Elegant" is a great way to describe the mechanics of this game as they create an authentic experience. That being said, the game is very difficult to win even when playing with fewer epidemic cards. If you like Pandemic and want to try something kind-of similar, have a go at Freedom: The Underground Railroad. http://www.amazon.com/Academy-Games-AYG-5401-Freedom/dp/B00HCHRGNI It's a bit more complex, but is also a very well designed co-op game.

I agree with you about Munchkin. It's funny and cute but gets boring, and frankly, annoying.

You really should get a gaming group together! It can be difficult to find people who are interested and dedicated to meeting regularly, but it's really awesome when you get a good group. Mine meets every Friday for board/card games. They also do role playing on Thursday but I haven't really done that, although I did agree to play Dread next week. A few of those guys also go to the gaming convention in Indianapolis annually and bring back all sorts of great new games.
26.12.2015 - 21:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I tried ''Ticket to Ride'' nice railroad game about Europe, I did not won, but I accomplish my way in second game
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.07.2019 - 22:40
Metren
Dreadrealm
Getting into Dungeons & Dragons lately. Already writing my own campaign as well as playing campaigns with friends. Can't believe I didn't get into this sooner. It feels like I was born to play and write this stuff. Here's a map for the world in which my first campaign takes place that I drew a few days ago:

https://i.imgur.com/1lsPqpQ.jpg
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
11.07.2019 - 16:44
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I used to play D&D with my friends till we realized there are too much rules and bureaucracy, so we thought: hey, why not invent 'our' own status and battle system and oversimplify the battles?

Then the games started going far smoothier
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
13.07.2019 - 15:39
Metren
Dreadrealm
Played D&D last night. A party of three (me, the wife and a friend) and another friend as DM. 5e rules. I played a fromer apprentice of The King's Royal Huntsmen and a rogue , my wife played a half-orc sorcerer and my friend was an annoying little gnome bard. We all woke up in a jail run by goblins and after 4,5 h, finally made our way out, almost all of us nearly getting killed in the process. It was my "rousing speech" that gave my companions the necessary temporary HP to make it out alive. And when it came time to roll HP for the next lvl, I rolled a goddamn 1. So much for luck. Was fun though

Personally, I prefer to create and participate in campaigns with more NPC and more interesting NPC and a heavy emphasis on political intrigue and ... err... romantic stuff... but it was my friends first time DMing for us, so it was still pretty great.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
29.01.2020 - 22:22
Metren
Dreadrealm
Going to be DMing for the first time two weeks from now. One-shot campaign, possssssibly two-shot, depending on how much my players choose to mess about.

The campaign's titled "Crimson Tide And The Serpent Sun", which probably sounds more badass than it actually is. Still, I am excited as balls. Dragon balls. And Dungeon Balls. Ew.
----
17.02.2020 - 00:25
Metren
Dreadrealm
D&D one-shot went better than I could've ever hoped. All players were co-operative, really focused on the story and their characters and they all even showed up in cosplay, which was freakin nuts and amazing. I had written 44 pages of text and we played through it in just under 8 hours.

Long story short: there was a ship, an offer for a mission, then a shipwreck, waking up on an unknown shore, carrying a wounded comrade to a village for healing, battle with grungs (frog-like lawful evil humanoids), running over a bridge and then destroying it, to stop the grungs from following, reaching the village and seeking out a healer only to have the wounded unconscious comrade's mother inform the party: "That's not my son, it must be an imposter". Then there was a temple with a demi-god turtle waiting, a huge fortune to be collected, some more twists and turns and a bittersweet ending, where the party made it out alive, but a whole bunch of bastards got away with deception and murder. Perfect set up for the adventure to continue at some point.

I have so much to learn about being a game master, but it really feels like it's what I was born to do at times.
----
07.03.2021 - 04:40
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Well now I'm back to playing D&D sporadically with another group of friends on discord
We use that roll20 platform which is pretty neat what with all the maps and dice system.
Perhaps I like it better than playing on the actual board.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei