Metal Storm logo
TV Series You're Watching

Original post

Posted by Ragana, 05.12.2011 - 22:16
I watched the show before I knew it was based on books but few months ago I started to read the first book (haven't had the chance to read anything besides study materials ever since) and I guess I'm glad I already knew what all characters look like. anyway, recently I spotted the other four books in a bookstore and I think I'll make an exception and buy them (I rarely buy fiction books as I just read them once and then put away, so what's the point of that?)... winter's the coolest season for reading books.

plus, if one's worrying about the language... well, um, practice makes perfect, right? reading books is one of the best ways how to improve your knowledge in any language.
15.02.2023 - 10:38
Morax
Currently I'm on Last Kingdom season 5 and Vikings Valhalla season 2..
16.02.2023 - 04:16
no one
Written by Morax on 15.02.2023 at 10:38

What you reckon of Valhalla season 2, I got three episodes in I think and was pretty bored and disappointed, especially after how good the first season was.
----
Unable to connect to the database
18.02.2023 - 11:00
Morax
Written by no one on 16.02.2023 at 04:16

What you reckon of Valhalla season 2, I got three episodes in I think and was pretty bored and disappointed, especially after how good the first season was.

Firstly not even close to original Vikings wich is my favorite tv show of all times.. Its watchable and fun but wouldn't say anything special.. I was also disappointed with season 2, I expected more from Michael Hirst who is also working on this show..
18.02.2023 - 12:36
no one
Written by Morax on 18.02.2023 at 11:00

Written by no one on 16.02.2023 at 04:16

Firstly not even close to original Vikings wich is my favorite tv show of all times.. Its watchable and fun but wouldn't say anything special.. I was also disappointed with season 2, I expected more from Michael Hirst who is also working on this show..

Oh yeah definitely nothing on the original vikings, well the first 3 or 4 seasons anyway
----
19.02.2023 - 19:10
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Recently watched the anime Bocchi The Rock, which I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys SoL / music animes. The obvious comparison here would be with K-ON!, and justifiedly so but it does not hit quite the same way and forges an identity of its own, making it very fun to watch. The comedy is on point and the music is very good, highly recommended
07.03.2023 - 13:49
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
If anyone not hopped on "Black Bird" yet, get on it now.

Plot: Watch out for Larry.

Paul Walter's acting is the best I ever seen on the tv network. Just surreal.
31.03.2023 - 19:29
no one
Vikings Valhalla - season 2
So fucking weak, wouldn't recommend.

Helter Skelter: An American Myth
I found the commentary's from the actual Manson family members super interesting, it gave an in depth look at what life was like living with Manson back then.
Also found the documentation on the hippy period real interesting and kind of similar to what's happening today.
----
03.04.2023 - 23:14
mz

Recently watched these:

- the last of us: (Spoiler Alert) I kinda feel that this is an overrated series. The most emotionally impactful episode (the one with the guy couple) is totally redundant and does not advance the story in any meaningful way. It could have been in any other zombie apocalypse show without much change. This essentially amounts to an episode, which, although amazingly written and performed, is a filler at the end.
Some sequences were also kinda unrealistic, and I know we are talking about a zombie show: the way Joel kills everyone in the hospital elevates him to superhero status. 7/10

- the white lotus (S1, S2): this one was also kinda overrated to me. The first season was very sharply written and had a great balance between comedy and drama. This was, however, gone in the 2nd season, which was mostly just drama. Not bad, but not something out of the ordinary either tbh. 6.5/10

- The bear: the best thing I've seen in a long time. This modest, unpretentious show is amazing at offering a perfect mix of comedy, workplace drama, and family tragedy. The performance, writing, and dialogues are all top-notch. The short duration of each episode makes everything just denser and more intense. 9/10

----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
28.05.2023 - 22:29
Metren
Dreadrealm
I watched season 1 of Breaking Bad and season 1 of Severance recently. Breaking Bad supposedly gets better after season 1 and I hope that’s the case. The first season was underwhelming. Severance was excellent, with the season finally being the best single episode of TV I’ve ever seen. That last episode was monumentally satisfying. Severance season 1 makes Breaking Bad season 1 look mediocre. That’s how good Severance is. I am eagerly awaiting season 2. And I hope the creators don’t screw it up. Severance is the first show I’ve seen that has a chance of dethroning The Wire from its place at the top of my all-time favorite series list.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
29.05.2023 - 16:08
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by Metren on 28.05.2023 at 22:29

Breaking Bad supposedly gets better after season 1 and I hope that’s the case.

Season 2 of breaking bad is arguably the worst one, but the next 3 are some of the best in the history of television
21.06.2023 - 00:30
ylside
Staff
My favourite shows as of 2023 :

1 - The Wire
2 - Secret Army
3 - The Sopranos
4 - Twin Peaks
5 - Band of Brothers
6 - Upstairs, Downstairs

the following are excellent too, but no need to put them in exact order after 6 :
The Sandbaggers, Treme, Black Mirror, Seinfeld, X-Files, Game of Thrones, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett), 'Allo 'Allo, Firefly, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, Green Wing, The Office (UK).
19.07.2023 - 15:06
nikarg
Staff
I'm currently watching Season 2 of Toast of London (following a recommendation from Nejde, if I remember correctly). Super-funny.
19.07.2023 - 15:14
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by nikarg on 19.07.2023 at 15:06

I'm currently watching Season 2 of Toast of London (following a recommendation from Nejde, if I remember correctly). Super-funny.

"Steven, this is Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?" always gets me laughing hard

This is English humour at its best. Matt Berry is great in the title role. Also, Ray "Bloody" Purchase is a hilarious character. Glad you like it Nik
10.08.2023 - 15:37
samive
I started the From series very interesting with a lot of suspense.
28.08.2023 - 23:21
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
I recently watched Maniac on Netflix and it's a very weird, surreal, and absurd storyline about people testing new medicines as part of an experiment and it goes from 80s clichés to medieval fantasy to alien invasions as they experience various parts of their psyche. It's quite mind boggling, often very understatedly funny, and a really interesting watch. Have a look if you're into something out of the ordinary.
25.09.2023 - 09:12
no one
Wasn't a series but I watched Ordinary Men "the forgotten holocaust" on Netflix.

This program explains how ordinary working men came to execute jews point blank and commit mass murder.

I won't spoil too much but it is scary how ideology can lead an ordinary man to murder. I'm not saying it was all ideology but it was often what they told themselves to justify the horrible crimes they were committing.

----
03.10.2023 - 23:47
ylside
Staff
Some of the worst TV shows I've seen :

Community
The Wheel of Time
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
The Kingdom (Riget)
Sense8
The Good Place
The Big Bang Theory
Money Heist (Casa de Papel)
13 Reasons Why
Mr. Robot
Disenchantment
Queen's Gambit

Sorry I don't feel like explaining why so don't ask, just wanted to write them down.

04.10.2023 - 02:45
no one
Just finished Last Kingdom, so much better than vikings, it actually stays good all the way through.

After Life

I thought could have finished aftervthe first season but I guess it kind of made it more real life that it didn't.
----
04.10.2023 - 22:46
ylside
Staff
Written by mz on 03.04.2023 at 23:14

- The bear: the best thing I've seen in a long time. This modest, unpretentious show is amazing at offering a perfect mix of comedy, workplace drama, and family tragedy. The performance, writing, and dialogues are all top-notch. The short duration of each episode makes everything just denser and more intense. 9/10

Just saw The Bear aswell, really good. Modest and unpretentious as you said, but I would use "sober", qualifies it better. If you like it you'll love Treme, give it a shot
25.10.2023 - 23:13
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
For those familiar with the UK TV program SAS who dares wins, which is where a group undertake a gruelling test to get selected for the SAS (I've watched the show many times myself), well anyway, I just causally met billy billingham the commander on the show, just walking by in the street, and he was kind enough to just stop and have a conversation with me. His a really top guy, nothing like the hard man you'd expect from show, and I also found out he used to be body guard for A-list celebrities like Angelina jolie and Brad Pitt. I wasn't sure how much was true so had to look it up, and apparently it was all true, amongst other crazy stuff too. It's just all so surreal.
27.10.2023 - 18:50
Metal Rasputin
Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

This is not just an anime, but an initiation rite. Around here (Finland, Sweden, etc.) you're not considered legit if you haven't seen this shit at least a dozen times, it's so damn huge and popular they even made a live musical out of it. I can tell you, ask any Finnish guy or gal what breed this or that character are and I can guarantee you they can tell you. People have been totally insane about this thing since the late 80's and the madness is still going strong, it's something special that moves from father to son without a question.

Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin is basically an epic Shakespearean samurai story but with speaking warrior dogs instead of just humans. Sounds very stupid, but it is not actually. I mean there's every great plot device and theme you could wish for, like courage and friendship, conscience and responsibility, sacrifice and death, revenge and pride, etc. There's even nice theme of the importance of family: Gin loses his father at the beginning while another dog's whole family (or clan) burn themselves to death for honor. Hell yeah, man! It's all a bit goofy, but it's fantasy where all kinds of things happen.

The best thing about the series? The music, especially the theme song.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
27.10.2023 - 23:26
ylside
Staff
Written by Metal Rasputin on 27.10.2023 at 18:50

Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

Will definitely check..., thanks !

Interesting how japanese animes are distributed around countries, we got more Captain Tsubasa, Goldrake, and such, never heard of Silver Fang until now.
03.04.2024 - 17:17
Metal Rasputin
Gargoyles

One of my all time favourite animated tv shows and overall best things ever on tv. Gargoyles is like classic graphic novels by Neil Gaiman mixed with the classic 90's Batman the Animated series, a kind of more mature fairy tale and urban fantasy written in epic Shakespearean style, the first 65 episodes have a continuous plot with twists and turns, multiple timelines and dozens or hundreds of characters. Every time I read about or watch this show I just keep finding new interesting details, like the last time I noticed that the gargoyle clan of London consists of heraldic beasts. That's so damn smart. I don't want to spoil anything, though. It's all little silly, but awesome.

Oh yeah, this shit was produced by Disney during their golden period back in the mid 90's, it was huge and ambitious project with one of their then big bosses and unlimited resources involved. The voice cast is one of the best ever, like there's lots of people from Star Trek the New Generation, Mark Hamill, John Rhys-Davies, Tim Curry and Keith David with his legendary massive dominating baritone voice. The show was originally released back in the 90's but only released in Finland about a year ago on Disney's own streaming service, so nobody around here knows about this crown jewel of Western tv animation except for maybe me and few other fans.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
03.04.2024 - 19:32
no one
Written by Metal Rasputin on 03.04.2024 at 17:17

Gargoyles

One of my all time favourite animated tv shows and overall best things ever on tv. Gargoyles is like classic graphic novels by Neil Gaiman mixed with the classic 90's Batman the Animated series, a kind of more mature fairy tale and urban fantasy written in epic Shakespearean style, the first 65 episodes have a continuous plot with twists and turns, multiple timelines and dozens or hundreds of characters. Every time I read about or watch this show I just keep finding new interesting details, like the last time I noticed that the gargoyle clan of London consists of heraldic beasts. That's so damn smart. I don't want to spoil anything, though. It's all little silly, but awesome.

Oh yeah, this shit was produced by Disney during their golden period back in the mid 90's, it was huge and ambitious project with one of their then big bosses and unlimited resources involved. The voice cast is one of the best ever, like there's lots of people from Star Trek the New Generation, Mark Hamill, John Rhys-Davies, Tim Curry and Keith David with his legendary massive dominating baritone voice. The show was originally released back in the 90's but only released in Finland about a year ago on Disney's own streaming service, so nobody around here knows about this crown jewel of Western tv animation except for maybe me and few other fans.

Haha I should watch that series, I remember watching it as a kid.
----