Metal Storm logo
Destruction - Part Ways With Founding Guitarist

After almost 4 decades and 17 studio albums, Destruction and founding guitarist Mike Sifringer have parted ways. Martin Furia will step in as the new permanent guitarist. More can be read below. In other news, Destruction are premiering a brand new single "State Of Apathy", which will be part of the upcoming record (details soon).

Statement from the band as follows: "It has been some difficult weeks for us since Mike left the band in March, we apologize for the delay and the late statements. We kept on working hard, so we can present you the future of Destruction. We have a pre-album single and video for you with "State Of Apathy" also available as a 12 inch vinyl in September. We welcome our front of house soundnguy, tour manager, good friend and producer Martin Furia in our team - please give him a very warm welcome! He is part of our family for many years! We are wishing all the very best to Mike, please read all statement below."

Ex-guitarist Mike about parting ways with Destruction: "It's hard to leave a band after 39 years. Destruction is my life and something like my baby. But sometimes you have to take decisions that hurt. I'm very sad at the moment, but if something doesn't feel right anymore, better stop doing it. Thanx to all former bandmates. I'm very proud about the music we have created together. Cheers to all thrashers out there. Without your support and your passion, Destruction would not exist. Peace."

Destruction's new guitarist, Martin Furia, on joining the band: "The news is finally out and I have mixed emotions. I'm extremely proud to be part of this legendary band since 2016 as sound technician and tour manager, I've been all over the world with the Destruction family and they have always treated me like another member of the band.

"I'm sad to see Mike go because I love him and respect him as a person and guitarist, but when I was asked if I would like to be the new guitarist of Destruction I didn't hesitate for a second. I feel ready to honor Mike's legacy, to add my own touch and I will give my best to keep the flame of Destruction burning strong forever, with deep respect and devotion for the past and with full energy and commitment for the future!"

Destruction's Schmier about the new single: "The last two years have been testing times for all of us. We are all sad to announce that Mike has left Destruction. It all was a shock and hit us hard but nevertheless there was never any doubt that we will continue as a band. We are a strong unit and are proud to welcome our new guitarist, Martin Furia, to the band! Our chemistry is great since Martin has been a part of the Destruction family for many years now. He is the perfect new man on the axe - the first shows have been a fucking blast!

"State Of Apathy" shows the direction Destruction will go with the new record: more 'back-to-the-roots', more guitars, more in your face! This band is my life and we will always give 100% to keep the spirit alive. I hope you love the new single as much as we do - thanks for all the support! We are wishing Mike the best for his future, for us there is only one way to go THRASH TILL DEATH!"

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Destruction
Posted: 19.08.2021 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 6   Visited by: 76 users
20.08.2021 - 00:57
I think the whole band should retire, the last great album by them was "The Antichrist" and that was 20 years ago, and judging by this new song it's the same mediocre thing.
20.08.2021 - 09:27
Rufus Valentine
Account deleted
Sad news. Only Schmier left!

So many old thrash bands I used to worship are just going through the motions. We all know what Destruction are capable of but this is average at best.
11.09.2021 - 18:55
Novas

Written by ThrashingSpeed on 20.08.2021 at 00:57

I think the whole band should retire, the last great album by them was "The Antichrist" and that was 20 years ago, and judging by this new song it's the same mediocre thing.

Antichrist was a pretty good one, but I think Devolution & Day of Reckoning were also pretty good solid albums. If they go back to how Day of Reckoning or Release From Agony sounded, they will be brutal. Newer ideas can sometimes be the best.
12.09.2021 - 22:16
NDNI

WTF! well - I am very sad as well, especially that after many years Destruction has become the quartet again what IMO is a great step forward! I stay with old school statement I've read about 30 years ago - more or less after incredible live album - Live Without Sense - that Mike & Harry this is the best guitar duo of thrash metal in Europe ! It's a pity that this duo survived only few short years. I am still of the opinion Mike is a legend, we can only listen his incredible solos on Mad Butcher, or Release From Agony (songs). For me a real shock. I would also not be so negative to Destruction after 2000. I come back with pleasure to "All Hell Breaks Loose" And on each record after 2000 you can find two or three really great songs. (Of course this is not anymore the level of "Infernal Overkill") The statements of all guys are quite laconic and are rather the signals that something went wrong in the team. Shit happens. I am really sorry! Mike shall get therash metal nobel prize for Live Without Sense and everything he did all over the years . Thanks Mike !
16.10.2021 - 04:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 20.08.2021 at 09:27

So many old thrash bands I used to worship are just going through the motions. We all know what Destruction are capable of but this is average at best.

I mean this isn't just an old band... it's an ancient one. The only people who expect something mindblowing from them are people whose minds were blown decades ago.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.10.2021 - 17:52
Rufus Valentine
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.10.2021 at 04:00

Written by Guest on 20.08.2021 at 09:27

I mean this isn't just an old band... it's an ancient one. The only people who expect something mindblowing from them are people whose minds were blown decades ago.

Not expecting 'mind-blowing' - half-decent would suffice.

Hits total: 1086 | This month: 4