Album: The Intimate Earth
Style: Atmospheric black metal, Blackened folk metal
Release date: July 2021

01. Ember Dream
02. Fire Season On The Outer Rim
03. The Rite Of Passage
04. Sphagnum In The Hinterlands
05. The Salt Binding

Do you miss Agalloch? Do you like Dead To A Dying World? Do you enjoy Cascadian metal? If your answer is an emphatic 'yes' to any or all of these three questions, keep reading.

Hailing from Oregon, Felled is a folk / atmospheric black metal quartet featuring former and current members of bands like Cerridwen, Poet, and Yob. Their debut album exudes an atmosphere of aloneness and of wandering through desolate, snowy landscapes like the wolf on Adam Burke's cover art does, with the faint light of the sun setting in the distance. There is a beauty and the beast element in the music, again depicted on the cover through a dead and frozen face that belongs to an otherwise healthy-looking, naked female body.

Despite opening in furious mode with "Ember Dream", dramatic twists and turns take place in The Intimate Earth with the mood being not just aggressive but also desperate, mellow, and melancholic, depending on the tempo and the use of vocals and melodies. The deep growls have a way of sounding haunting and demonic, and there are also gently nuanced appearances of female vocals on "Fire Season On The Outer Rim" and "The Salt Binding" that add delicate hints of exquisite flavour.

The violin and the viola reign on the album almost acting as lead guitars, but without sounding overwhelming. The lead guitar is still very present and some of the best moments are when it is taking turns with the other stringed instruments in playing captivating melodies. Featuring five songs and clocking in at just over 40 minutes, The Intimate Earth sometimes feels like the songs following the short "Ember Dream" would be benefited by some trimming. However, there are enough moments in them to perch on and there are certain passages that become instantly memorable, most notably the intros of "Fire Season On The Outer Rim" and "The Salt Binding", "The Rite Of Passage" at 5'30", and "Sphagnum In The Hinterlands" at 5'10".

The production is on the lo-fi end, something that seems to have happened on purpose and, for me, it allows for the vocals and instruments to naturally coalesce into an emotionally gripping ordeal. I expect some people to find it too "muddy" though, especially as far as the drums are concerned but I believe the drums sound great and the person behind the kit does a fine job too.

What I really enjoyed about The Intimate Earth is that it is almost a visual listen; I can somehow picture the leafless trees, the frozen lands, and the wrenching loneliness through my headphones. Give it a try if you want to picture all that too.

"Salt and wood and ash and tree
Salt for sea and wood for burning
Ash for fire and hex for tree"

Written on 05.09.2021 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 178 users
05.09.2021 - 12:59
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Help, I felled and I can't get up
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.09.2021 - 13:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How come radu always comments first on all staff reviews?
Good review, interesting band. Will keep eye on this later on, nice description. My kind a band.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.09.2021 - 18:55
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by RaduP on 05.09.2021 at 12:59

Everybody thought of it, but only one made the joke.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
05.09.2021 - 19:26
metalwolf

I felled it too.
----
----------------------------------------------------------
Cthulhu for President! Why settle for the lesser evil?
05.09.2021 - 19:42
metalwolf
OK, I gave it a listen, and I'm no convinced. There are moments when the violin is a plus, but there are also moments when I find it almost annoying. And then there's indeed the drums... it's as if the sound engineer forgot them in the mix and quickly added them later on.

Pity, but for me this album needs a remix.
----
----------------------------------------------------------
Cthulhu for President! Why settle for the lesser evil?
05.09.2021 - 20:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

I hope you can get up the other thing....
----

apos;'
[image]
05.09.2021 - 22:22
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Bad English on 05.09.2021 at 20:50

I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.09.2021 - 22:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by RaduP on 05.09.2021 at 22:22

Written by Bad English on 05.09.2021 at 20:50

I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter

Your re getting in my age
----

apos;'
[image]
06.09.2021 - 17:21
Rating: 7
musclassia
Staff
I do like the use of strings on the album quite a bit; definitely the best aspect of the album
06.09.2021 - 22:30
Rating: 8
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
My experience is too limited to answer those three opening questions with anything stronger than "I guess so," but that's a hell of an album cover, and your descriptions were intriguing. This was definitely one of the most memorable Cascadian black metal albums I've heard so far. Great drumming and great production for this kind of sound - and the strings gave me strong Thrawsunblat/late Woods Of Ypres vibes. I can see myself coming back to this in the future.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
09.09.2021 - 13:57
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Fun fact: I can't listen to this album when my cat is around. She does not appreciate the strings. Like, not at all. Even when she's outside, I can't play it without headphones, for she'll still come running over to complain, meowing continuously and loudly.

I own this because the download code was a gift from Transcending Obscurity, I think. But isn't it kind of sad that I can't really say for sure where I got it from? On the other hand, I can still remember what tee I was wearing when I bought Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium (just as an example to stay with the violins), and that was thirty years ago...

Too much music, too little time, too much meow.
Great review though.
----
signatures = SPAM

Hits total: 1984 | This month: 14