Metal Storm logo
Riverside - Drop New Single

Poland's leading progressive rock/metal ensemble Riverside are soon to release their new studio album, ID.Entity, on January 20th, 2023. Therefore, today, the band are pleased to reveal a next new single and video for the album's opening track "Friend Or Foe?" in its 'Single Edit' with a video clip animated and directed by Thomas Hicks.

Mariusz Duda checked in with the following comment about the new single:

"’Friend or Foe?’ is one of the key songs on the new Riverside album. Not only is it the opening track but, musically, it is possibly also the most courageous and intriguing one. One of its strong points is the lyrics which talk about how we're perceived by others, especially these days, when pretending to be someone you're not on social media has become the norm. Can we still be ourselves or do we have to keep adapting to the requirements of new algorithms? Perhaps we've already lost our identities and we're only waiting for instructions from a Siri or Alexa?

"Who do you pretend to be?" are the first words of the song and the listener has already started searching for that 80s band it reminds them of. Is this a mere inspiration or is it provocation? Is the writer of the song pretending to be someone else or is this who he really is? Who is behind it all? The artist himself or a producer churning out music for many other artists? Is what I'm writing now a reflection of what I'm feeling or am I writing it because I want to put the song on a higher recommended playlist? And if we apply it to politics, who are the candidates? Are they credible? Trustworthy? Will they keep their promises? And finally, will we be able to trust each other one day, hear each other out and understand, or will we still keep our distance and suspicions?

"Perhaps there is a chance to build a better world, but how to recognise who is a friend and who is a foe?”

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Riverside
Posted: 10.01.2023 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 3   Visited by: 79 users
10.01.2023 - 20:41
Kais
I genuinely love everything RIverside ever put out. This is no different.
What a cool song with a fantastic concept.
11.01.2023 - 01:46
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Damn, after the darker and more melancholic Wasteland, this new album is shaping up to be their most uplifting and fun yet. I guess I personally prefer the sound from Wasteland, but this was very enjoyable (except the last minute, it felt like it dragged and went nowhere, it could have ended with one last rendition of the chorus).
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
11.01.2023 - 19:35
Oracles
Written by Dark Forever on 11.01.2023 at 01:46

Damn, after the darker and more melancholic Wasteland, this new album is shaping up to be their most uplifting and fun yet. I guess I personally prefer the sound from Wasteland, but this was very enjoyable (except the last minute, it felt like it dragged and went nowhere, it could have ended with one last rendition of the chorus).

Wasteland was a crazy unique album for Riverside and always came off as a one-time thing for me. The majority of their sound has always been what we've heard on their first three-ish albums or on the more trance album you find on Anno Domini High Definition. Based off the songs, this new one sounds almost like a mix of ADHD and Love, Fear, and the Time Machine put together. I didn't hate LF&TTM, but it was a bit too soft for me considering all the other metal elements they've had in the past.

Hits total: 994 | This month: 6