Metal Storm logo
Slayer the thread, Reprise

Original post

Posted by BitterCOld, 19.10.2007 - 22:39
Original thread to the mighty SLAYER was locked due to size. Continue any discussions here.
03.11.2009 - 14:35
WPB is worse than Death Magnetic, definitely.
05.11.2009 - 10:50
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by HarmonyCorruptio on 03.11.2009 at 14:35

A bold statement for sure. But how do you compare two completely different releases? It's like comparing Toyota Yaris with pineapple juice.
05.11.2009 - 13:34
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Daniell on 05.11.2009 at 10:50

A bold statement for sure. But how do you compare two completely different releases? It's like comparing Toyota Yaris with pineapple juice.

If I understand you correctly, then the comparison should been like between Toyota Yaris and Skoda Superb. Toyota Yaris and pineapple juice would be like comparing a CD to a cell phone.

And still, what do actually mean when you say "completely different releases?"
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
05.11.2009 - 13:40
Tormentor666
Yeh, I find Death Magnetic quite better than World Painted Blood, which is... I don't know, bored?? Yes, I think that could be the word for describing the album. I mean, it's just speed and it has some fucking good riffs in some of its songs, but generally, this album says nothing to me. Maybe the fact that I liked DM better is because of all that long waiting until the album comes out, I don't know.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
05.11.2009 - 17:34
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 05.11.2009 at 13:34

If I understand you correctly, then the comparison should been like between Toyota Yaris and Skoda Superb. Toyota Yaris and pineapple juice would be like comparing a CD to a cell phone.

The you don't understand me correctly. "Death Magnetic" and "World Painted Blood" are so different musically, that comparing them is pointless in my opinion, hence my car/juice metaphor.
Of course, you have every right to like one more than the other. I like them both by the way.
05.11.2009 - 17:48
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 05.11.2009 at 13:34

what's your opinion of the album anyway? (didn't mean to sound rude, but gotta ask as I quite highly regard your views)
----
loves 小巫
05.11.2009 - 17:48
Warman
Erotic Stains
But both Metallica and Slayer belongs to "The big four". So a comparison between those albums aren't wrong at all IMO.
----
05.11.2009 - 22:14
Tormentor666
Written by Warman on 05.11.2009 at 17:48

But both Metallica and Slayer belongs to "The big four". So a comparison between those albums aren't wrong at all IMO.

Agree, and besides they are supposed to be both thrash metal releases.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
05.11.2009 - 22:58
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Ag Fox on 05.11.2009 at 17:48

what's your opinion of the album anyway? (didn't mean to sound rude, but gotta ask as I quite highly regard your views)

well, to my surprise, it wasn't all that bad, but then I haven't heard any supercatchy riffs on that album. Listened to it three times so far. In around two weeks I'll probably give it another listen.

The fact that you "quite highly regard [my] views" is a most curious thing by the way. Can I ask why?

Written by Daniell on 05.11.2009 at 17:34

The you don't understand me correctly. "Death Magnetic" and "World Painted Blood" are so different musically, that comparing them is pointless in my opinion, hence my car/juice metaphor.
Of course, you have every right to like one more than the other. I like them both by the way.

Well, they are not that different. They are both thrash no matter what people say about Death Magnetic; I think the two albums are musically close enough to compared.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

05.11.2009 - 23:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 05.11.2009 at 22:58

well, to my surprise, it wasn't all that bad, but then I haven't heard any supercatchy riffs on that album. Listened to it three times so far. In around two weeks I'll probably give it another listen.

The fact that you "quite highly regard [my] views" is a most curious thing by the way. Can I ask why?

Written by Daniell on 05.11.2009 at 17:34

Well, they are not that different. They are both thrash no matter what people say about Death Magnetic; I think the two albums are musically close enough to compared.

I agree with daniel that it's like comparing a car to juice or whatever. Slayer plays 100% thrash whereas Metallica only has some thrashy parts on Death Magnetic but not enough to call it thrash. Even Endgame is thrashier than Death Magnetic. Metallica haven't released an album entirely full of thrash since 1988 whereas Slayer have always stuck to their thrash roots.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2009 - 02:44
Overlord_PT
What you guys think about last slayer album?
06.11.2009 - 03:15
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 05.11.2009 at 22:58

i know we have different taste in a lot of occasions (e.g. Opeth), but I know that you are among sensible groups of users in the site that don't vote blindly just for the heck of it. Furthermore, we also have points to agree upon (e.g. Dark Passion Play, Rise of the Tyrants) and I like your reviews too.

back on topic: I expected it to be quite bad tbh because when the single came out everyone's reaction was so "meh". I waited for the full length though and decided I like it.
----
loves 小巫
08.11.2009 - 17:43
demonseed
When compared with Christ Illusion,God Hate Us All or Diabolus in Musica, WPB is the album of the year. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it that much but at least I'm ready to give it a try and I've no doubt WPB is their best effort in the last 15 years.
----
A Servant in Heaven A King in Hell
08.11.2009 - 18:34
albatros
I just took a netbook and tuned it to the Slayer stream on Myspace. I connected a microtransmitter to the computer and now I'm broadcasting the new Slayer album in my bathroom on 106.1 FM . My old Panasonic boombox is receiving this an armslength away and so I now can have a shower and listen to Slayer.

What I've heard so far pleases me a lot more than Magnetic Death, btw.
13.11.2009 - 23:05
Saitenhexerin
UK, European tour postponed till march. That sucks *SO FUCKING* much.
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
16.11.2009 - 14:18
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I much prefer God Hates us All to World Painted Blood. In fact, God Hates us All is one of my fav Slayer releases. As far as the new album goes, I'm loving some songs and really finding others boring. So, it's not as consistent as some other albums.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.11.2009 - 01:32
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've just heard a snippet of the song "Atrocity Vendor" which was left off the new album, and I really now want to hear the full song!

The riff at the start sounds more like a punkish Megadeth, nothing like Slayer at all! Then it becomes much more Slayer-like....This sounds like a really great song, dunno why it was left off "World Painted Blood"...
17.11.2009 - 01:42
Warlock84
American Carnage Tour just announced today- Slayer, Megadeth, and Testament!!! Hell yeah!!!
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
17.11.2009 - 01:43
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.11.2009 at 01:32

I've just heard a snippet of the song "Atrocity Vendor" which was left off the new album, and I really now want to hear the full song!

The riff at the start sounds more like a punkish Megadeth, nothing like Slayer at all! Then it becomes much more Slayer-like....This sounds like a really great song, dunno why it was left off "World Painted Blood"...

Maybe because it didn't blend in to well with the rest of the songs!!!
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
17.11.2009 - 01:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Haddonfield on 17.11.2009 at 01:43
Maybe because it didn't blend in to well with the rest of the songs!!!

If the rest of the song was like the intro riff, then I would agree!

When the verse comes in, and Tom starts singing, it sounds like the style of the rest of the album
17.11.2009 - 05:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
World Painted Blood sounds like a shittier version of Christ Illusion, making it their worst album for me. The only two songs I really like are Public Display of Dismemberment and Psycopathy Red.
01.01.2010 - 01:24
I_Die_Often
Written by Dangerboner on 17.11.2009 at 05:41

World Painted Blood sounds like a shittier version of Christ Illusion, making it their worst album for me.

I completely agree with this statement!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
02.01.2010 - 13:03
World Painted Blood to me is their best album since Seasons and one of my best albums of the decade.
----
"The people who are dark fear the people who are fair
And hippies live in terror of the guys who have no hair
The saddest thing of all - what I really find grim
Is we haven't yet noticed what a mess we're all in."
02.01.2010 - 20:06
Lord_Regnier
The few songs I heard from the last album sounded way too modern for my tastes, production-wise.

Anyway, I like the old Slayer material very much (until SITA incl) but I don't care at all for their material since Divine Intervention.

I prefer their stuff prior and up to Hell Awaits. Imo, the raw sound suited the music much more. It created atmosphere, which is something Slayer's music lacks since a long time. Modern Slayer sounds like pointless screaming without emotion.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
13.03.2010 - 12:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Woah these guys have one mammoth touring schedule ahead. it's gonna be pretty much impossible to miss them regardless of whatever european country you're from.
23.03.2010 - 13:26
Black Mass
Written by Valentin B on 13.03.2010 at 12:40

Woah these guys have one mammoth touring schedule ahead. it's gonna be pretty much impossible to miss them regardless of whatever european country you're from.

I know!!! I'll see them at Hellfest and Wacken which is awesome cos I'm leaving London at the end of April (moving to Abu Dhabi) and will miss their London June show.
23.03.2010 - 13:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Black Mass on 23.03.2010 at 13:26

Written by Valentin B on 13.03.2010 at 12:40

I know!!! I'll see them at Hellfest and Wacken which is awesome cos I'm leaving London at the end of April (moving to Abu Dhabi) and will miss their London June show.

lol what are you doing moving out again, this time in Abu Dhabi? did you marry some rich oil sheik?
23.03.2010 - 19:24
Warman
Erotic Stains
I really liked "World Painted Blood" actually and it still grows on me. The best they've done "Seasons" IMO. Can't wait to hear some of the songs live this summer, especially the title track and "Americon" would be great.
----
24.03.2010 - 16:47
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
After many many listens, I'm quite sure that it is Slayer's best album since "Divine Intervention". Also, I have no idea why, but the title song sounds to me like it would perfectly fit into "Hell Awaits"...
One things really bothers me though. Why does the album sound so bad???
15.04.2010 - 22:28
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Listened to World Painted Blood a few times recently and I started thinking about the title... it doesn't make sense. If it was Blood(-)Painted World, then it would mean "a world, which is painted with blood." Maybe the original could mean something like "blood shed by the world?"

Cool album by the way. I feel the touch of the masters.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner