Metal Storm logo
Your Favorite Korn Album

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 06.11.2007 - 23:28
The Nu Metal pioneers, Korn have been putting out albums for some years now. While much of their fan base has dwindled, many of their albums are still talked about. So here is the question, what is your favorite album from Korn?

For me, I am going with 2002's Untouchables. This album showed Korn going in a new, more Avant-Garde direction. Maybe it was because of their Faith No More influence. Maybe they were wising up? Maybe it was a fluke? Not sure. But the opening track, "Here To Stay" might be my favorite Korn song ever.

So how about the rest of you?

Poll

Which Korn album is your favorite?

Korn
Untouchables
Follow The Leader
Issues
Life Is Peachy
Take A Look In The Mirror
[Untitled]
See You On The Other Side

Total votes: 108
20.01.2011 - 19:40
MordecaiHexagram

You can't go wrong with their first album.

Their newest album is surprisingly good too though.
21.01.2011 - 00:47
Sonic MrSumo

Whilst Follow The Leader has the best individual songs (Justin is their best song), I think Take A Look In The Mirror is a more complete album.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
28.01.2011 - 10:17
MissMetal86

Untouchables FTW
28.01.2011 - 19:07
Maim

Hmmm, tough choice - I'm honestly torn between Life is Peachy and Untouchables. While I think Untouchables is arguably their most original release, Life is Peachy was pretty original as well for it's time - lots of funk, old school hip hop, a mix of hard rock, hardcore, and a pinch of metal - and also, is considerably more aggressive. So with that being said, I pick Life is Peachy.
----
Friends will help you move... REAL friends will help you move bodies...
01.02.2011 - 18:01
Rebel Monster

[Untitled]

I don't know why but it's the korn album i have listend most to
----
Bad English :p
06.02.2011 - 02:10
Empyror

Untouchables got me into Korn. When they first came out everybody loved them and I hated them. I heard Thoughtless off this album and fell in love with the whole album. I went back and listened to their old stuff again and finally "got it." This album has a more melodic and mature sense of songwriting than any of their other releases because Jonathan had just got done doing the Queen of the Damned soundtrack and had taken many music lessons from his co-composer Richard Gibbs of Oingo Boingo fame. I think a lot of Gibbs' classical influence on JD bled into this album.
02.04.2011 - 02:00
John Sandman

Hard choise between "korn" and "follow the leader". But I choose "follow the leader" because it's the album that i've listened the most from them.
And... The first metal song that I heard and liked was "freak on a leash"
25.04.2011 - 04:37
Kennoth

I'm glad people appreciate Untouchables as much as I do. Truly their most mature work. In case you're interested in my further insight about it, my review pretty much covers it.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
25.04.2011 - 06:37
king_matt

I really like their self-titled album the best. It shows great instrumental skills and it's a unique and creative album. I cannot get the song "Clown" out of my head.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
25.04.2011 - 10:35
Nefarious
Doom Knight
I voted for their debut.

I'm quite a fan of the first 3 releases but i honestly cant stand Untouchables & say it was the album that killed my interest in Korn. I had begun to lose interest with Issues but Untouchables just confirmed for me Korn were going in a musical direction i wasnt a fan of. I prefered the dark & raw vibe of the first album while Issues/Untouchables just came across to me as expensively overproduced McMetal for the masses.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
25.04.2011 - 11:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Surprised Life Is Peachy isn't higher up. Is one of Korn's three good records.
25.04.2011 - 11:26
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 11:06

Agreed.

I almost voted for it myself but thought their debut was just slightly better.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
04.05.2011 - 15:53
FinnishSammich

Their self titled debut is the best. Next comes Untouchables and Follow the Leader.
25.05.2011 - 02:48
king_matt

Written by Nefarious on 25.04.2011 at 11:26

Agreed.

I almost voted for it myself but thought their debut was just slightly better.

Indeed.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
25.05.2011 - 13:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Which are the other two then?
I'm not that familiar with their discography but I really enjoy their debut. Pretty agressive shit tbh.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.05.2011 - 14:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.05.2011 at 13:17

I'm not that familiar with their discography but I really enjoy their debut. Pretty agressive shit tbh.

Yeah their debut and, arguably, Untouchables, which is defo my fave, has the best sound (just try and ignore the lyrics). Some people like Issues and Follow The Leader but aside from a few tracks I was never that keen. It's debatable anyway, just avoid everything after Untouchables.
25.05.2011 - 18:16
Guib
Thrash Talker
None
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
25.05.2011 - 21:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 25.05.2011 at 14:40

Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.05.2011 at 13:17

Yeah their debut and, arguably, Untouchables, which is defo my fave, has the best sound (just try and ignore the lyrics). Some people like Issues and Follow The Leader but aside from a few tracks I was never that keen. It's debatable anyway, just avoid everything after Untouchables.

Oh yeah I forgot about Issues. I do like it quite a bit... Ithink I really like it because I have so many nice memories of it. One of the very first songs I enjoyed around 7 years old. I still think Falling Away From Me is a cool song after all those years. I don't care about the lyrics.. I mean, the debut has some horrible lyrics and I still think is cool as fuck.
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.05.2011 - 17:29
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.05.2011 at 21:09
I don't care about the lyrics.. I mean, the debut has some horrible lyrics and I still think is cool as fuck.

Agreed, some of the lyrics on the debut aren't great, but it still doesn't detract from the fact that most of the songs are amazing. I mean, "Shoots & Ladders" lyrics are just ridiculous, but I still get goosebumps now when THAT mid-section riff comes in being creepy as all hell before exploding into the part where Jonathan's screaming "Knick knack paddy whack, give the dog a bone..."

Even the haters can't deny that when Korn started they were doing something fresh and new, that nobody else was doing. Korn will always be leaps and bounds above almost all the bands in the genre they spawned, and those first 2 albums still stand up as great stuff today. xD
27.05.2011 - 09:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Angelic Storm on 26.05.2011 at 17:29

Agreed, some of the lyrics on the debut aren't great, but it still doesn't detract from the fact that most of the songs are amazing. I mean, "Shoots & Ladders" lyrics are just ridiculous, but I still get goosebumps now when THAT mid-section riff comes in being creepy as all hell before exploding into the part where Jonathan's screaming "Knick knack paddy whack, give the dog a bone..."

Same thing happens to me with "Divine" with that bass line and Jonathan just going pissed off as all hell "FUCK YOU"
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.05.2011 - 10:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.05.2011 at 09:28
Same thing happens to me with "Divine" with that bass line and Jonathan just going pissed off as all hell "FUCK YOU"

That is a very intense song, and that part is amazing. xD I was fortunate enough to hear the first album when it first came out, and it was a very tense experience cos I'd never heard anything like that before. Indeed, nobody else at that time had either. lol

Its a shame that Korn soon became vilified by many metal fans because of the trend that many seen them as the orginators of. But Korn had a great ability of ramping up the tension in their songs, and then unleashing total chaos at just the right moment for maximum impact. So many songs on the first album showed that to great effect. They are above the nu metal tag as far as Im concerned, and those first two albums still give me goosebumps when I listen to them now. 99% of so-called nu metal bands can't touch Korn at their best, as far as songwriting nuance and being able to sound truly menacing goes.
27.05.2011 - 11:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.05.2011 at 10:37

That is a very intense song, and that part is amazing. xD I was fortunate enough to hear the first album when it first came out, and it was a very tense experience cos I'd never heard anything like that before. Indeed, nobody else at that time had either. lol

I haven't heard their second album yet but he s/t is still some of the most intense albums I've heard (and definitely the most intense in Nu Metal). My band loves to do a cover of blind every now and then to end our practice sessions Same with "Killing In The Name". It's just nice to end everything with a high note and scream your guts off.

My band is very trve metal XD Haters gonna hate.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.05.2011 - 13:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.05.2011 at 11:55
I haven't heard their second album yet but he s/t is still some of the most intense albums I've heard (and definitely the most intense in Nu Metal). My band loves to do a cover of blind every now and then to end our practice sessions Same with "Killing In The Name". It's just nice to end everything with a high note and scream your guts off.

My band is very trve metal XD Haters gonna hate.

Woah you haven't heard "Life Is Peachy"? :O You're kidding! If you love the S/T, you really need to hear it, it's great stuff.

You have a band? Kewl! What sort of metal do you play? xD
07.10.2015 - 21:12
winchimes

Korn be willin
----
Dividing walls of stone,
Eternal heathen Throne,
Beneath the cold starlight.
Revealed for the purest sight.
28.10.2015 - 19:46
Cavernous

"Korn" is fantastic, too bad I associate it so hard to my stupid asshollish teenage years, but it is, still today (something rare among nu metal's big albums), absolutely fantastic
10.08.2019 - 21:31
Neronino

The selftitled album is the only Korn album I like, a little bit. Because Im not a fan of rap metal.