KMFDM
Godflesh
Oomph!
Nine Inch Nails
Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill ost's)

Total votes: 32
06.06.2006 - 09:30
Vunts
So this thing became to interest me when i was driving home on a bus today. The artists in this poll (meaning, also postable under the excuse of "other") represent industrial music in general, not only metal. I noticed that two spots were left empty, but i couldn't fill em with my knowledge alone. I will vote for Yamaoka, but i'll get around to WHY, after i've gone throught the others shortly.

#Oomph! - I respect the influence the've had as an industrial band. And i like the singer. Pretty much on all of the CDs, he brings something new in. Even if only slightly, but still something that one would note.

#Rammstein - I added them because very many people will probably want to vote for them. I don't listen to them myself, and their road has been going downhill lately (worse than Oomph! anyways, as i like Oomph!'s new stuff). However they have managed to pull together some amazing songs in their past. The first song that comes to my head when i say Rammstein, is Mutter. And it's decent.

#Ministry - I can't really say much here...i think they are the oldest band from the ones named...and i do have their discography, but i haven't gotten into them yet, so i haven't formed an opinion on them. Thus i keep my mouth shut about them

#Nine Inch Nails - Sortof the same as Ministry, in the area of me not knowing too much, but having to put them up here.

#Fear Factory - Their industrialest days are behind their "slightly industrial influenced" days imo. I can listen to Archetype very easily, while their fully industrial CDs like Hatefiles, take more time to rub in. One note on this tho: when voting, please don't count the releases similar to Archetype. If i did that...i probably would have voted for Fear Factory instead of Akira

#Akira Yamaoka - The music creator of the Silent Hill series. It varies from industrial rock to industrial metal to just industrial, and it's plain awesome. The atmosphere he displays in his music is the best i've ever heard. He can create both melancholic and angry melodies. And have masterpieces in both of them. Silent Hill 1 had a track named "I'll Kill You". With the right sound system, it could sound like a goddamn hurricane hanging ontop of you. Of course...it should also be renewed, since the time it was created in falls to rather old times. The movie of course presents the slightly altered track in it's full power. While he probably hasn't been of any influence on any industrial bands, he is one of the best composers and since he has a CLEAR industrial sound for a large part, he is in this poll.

Please don't complain about me not adding this or that band. I already said i didn't know very much of this area. The bands listed are the only industrial bands that i know...I think that there is a possibility to edit bands into the poll though, so if a few bands not on the list stick out, i probably will add them.
Til that time, enjoy voting!

EDIT: inspired of a very...ummm...okay, the word isn't coming to me, maybe heartfelt was the one...don't hold it against me if it isn't. So umm yea, inspired by a very heartfelt opinion by Horlequism where he voiced his opinion about KMFDM, i redid the poll. Also adding in Godflesh.
I hope that now there are no complaints.
06.06.2006 - 19:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Godflesh - I opted for them via the 'other' option in the previous thread... not sure to what extent they are considered 'industrial metal.' I have been listening to them for a good 15 years now, and 'Streetcleaner' and 'Selfless' are still in heavy rotation.

Honorable mentions to Ministry (particularly the late 80's/early 90's material) and Red Harvest - who absolutely crush.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.06.2006 - 22:00
Dam3k
I went for Rammstein, is my favourite among that, I don't like Ministry and Goldflesh, Oomph! is cool and Nine Inch Nails isn't industrial at all, I haven't listened the others. Rammstein is very catchy!!
----

07.06.2006 - 00:12
Vunts
Written by Dam3k on 06.06.2006 at 22:00

...and Nine Inch Nails isn't industrial at all...

Umm...DUDE!? What are you on? NIN is as industrial as Rammstein. Probably even more. And even though wikipedia has screwed me over a few times, this part isn't that bad to point out
Quote:
NIN's sound has variously been described as alternative, electronica, heavy metal, rock, synth pop, or, most commonly, industrial or industrial rock. Regarding his music being categorized as industrial, Reznor said in a 1994 Axcess Magazine interview:

What was originally called industrial music was about 20 years ago Throbbing Gristle and Test Dept. We have very little to do with it other than there is noise in my music and there is noise in theirs. I'm working in the context of a pop song structure whereas those bands didn't. And because someone didn't come up with a new name that separates those two somewhat unrelated genres, it tends to irritate all the old school fans waving their flags of alternativeness and obscurity. So, I'd say I've borrowed from certain styles and bands like that.[3]

NIN's songs cover a range of genres: "The Perfect Drug" has the flavor of drum and bass, "Down in It" was influenced by early Skinny Puppy [4], "Happiness in Slavery" is tinged with industrial metal in the vein of Ministry, "The Frail" is a melancholy piano piece, and most of Pretty Hate Machine could be considered dark electronic pop in the style of Depeche Mode.

Yes the second paragraph sortof contradicts it. But poppish or not, industrial elements are in pretty much every song i've heard by them.
07.06.2006 - 00:20
Baz Anderson
Staff
i have voted for Fear Factory
i have known them a long time - they were one of my first metal bands and i still love them from time to time now. haha
i saw them live not long ago as well and managed to get the setlist, so i can amuse myself with that whenever

they have made some very good albums, i still like 'Transgression' even though a lot of people dont seem to
but i do wonder which direction the band are heading
07.06.2006 - 00:41
Dam3k
Written by Vunts on 07.06.2006 at 00:12

Umm...DUDE!? What are you on? NIN is as industrial as Rammstein. Probably even more.

LOL =), do u really think songs like "The hand that feeds" can be categorized as industrial even metal?!?!? No way... this is an electro rock band not industrial, is not the same industrial than electro
----

07.06.2006 - 02:08
Horlequism
Account deleted
Well...I can see that my post was deleted but I'm glad that KMFDM is up there...they have been putting out better albums in the new millenium...Adios was crap though...I'm glad they're not into the techno too much anymore...
07.06.2006 - 03:32
-Valhalla-
Nine Inch Nails is the best Industrial band ever. They paved the way for all these othe bands. Trent Reznor is a musical genious.
----
A decapitated head could remain conscious for up to 30 seconds after being removed, offering the victim a truly unique perspective on the world for those last few moments.
07.06.2006 - 08:40
Vunts
Written by Dam3k on 07.06.2006 at 00:41

Umm...DUDE!? What are you on? NIN is as industrial as Rammstein. Probably even more.

LOL =), do u really think songs like "The hand that feeds" can be categorized as industrial even metal?!?!? No way... this is an electro rock band not industrial, is not the same industrial than electro

So you judge a band from one song alone? I bet you didn't read that part where it was said that their style varies from song to song and greatly. Hey, Rammstein - Los doesn't have any industrial elements. Do you still think that they're industrial?? Plus to be honest...i don't even remember any Rammstein songs that would make them industrial. Anyways i never said NIN are metal. And if you don't bother to read that i didn't add only metal bands here (i did so in my first post), then there might be a problem for you.

@Horlequism: Well, i deleted the other thread entirely, not only your post. I just didn't see a "lock" opportunity or an edit poll opportunity.

EDIT: now this is better. Two bands without a vote and the rest with 1! Much much better.
07.06.2006 - 22:43
Dam3k
Written by Vunts on 07.06.2006 at 08:40

Written by Dam3k on 07.06.2006 at 00:41

So you judge a band from one song alone? I bet you didn't read that part where it was said that their style varies from song to song and greatly. Hey, Rammstein - Los doesn't have any industrial elements. Do you still think that they're industrial?? Plus to be honest...i don't even remember any Rammstein songs that would make them industrial. Anyways i never said NIN are metal. And if you don't bother to read that i didn't add only metal bands here (i did so in my first post), then there might be a problem for you.

No I don't judge from one song, thats ridicoulus, that was just an example, industrial metal has nothing to do with industrial this band isn't industrial metal... u can say maybe industrial but for sure not industrial metal.
----

07.06.2006 - 23:07
Vunts
You find one place where i said they're industrial metal and i'll give you my account password.
07.06.2006 - 23:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by -Valhalla- on 07.06.2006 at 03:32

Nine Inch Nails is the best Industrial band ever. They paved the way for all these othe bands. Trent Reznor is a musical genious.

So NIN paved the way for 'all these bands', did they?

I find that highly amusing as Ministry had already released a good chunk of material before "Pretty Hate Machine" came out in 1989 - evolving from 80's pop to industrial metal over "With Sympathy" (83), "12 inch singles" (85) which contained singles released between 81-84, "Twitch" (86), and "Land of Rape and Honey" (88) PRIOR to "Pretty Hate Machine", as well as "The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste" in 89 - the year "PHM" was released.

Godflesh's self-titled debut came out in 1988, and they released "Streetcleaner" (89) and "Slavestate EP" (91) prior to NiN releasing the "Broken" EP in 1993 - a year in which Godflesh released another full length album, "Pure."

KMFDM released "opium 1984" (84) "What Do You Know, Dueschland?" (86) and "Don't Blow Your Top" (88) prior to "PHM", as well as "UAIOE" in '89 when "PHM was released.

These three alone - Ministry (five), Godflesh (four) and KMFDM (seven) released well over a DOZEN studio albums, not to mention at least that many singles and EP's before NIN released their second studio album, "downward spiral" in 1994.

I think you perhaps may have overstated NIN's influence within this genre...
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.06.2006 - 23:33
Dam3k
HAHA lol, I misunderstood I thought you were refering to industrial metal saying industrial, I hate people who confuse industrial with industrial metal, anyway, sorry dude =)
----

08.06.2006 - 00:00
Vunts
Alright. No harm done. It's nice to argue from time to time.
08.06.2006 - 00:05
Dam3k
=))) Really I'm sorry I just misunderstood we cool
----

08.06.2006 - 00:15
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
I am guessing this is actually an industrial metal poll since if it were an industrial poll, the bands mentioned should be much different (Coil, SPK, Swans, Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire etc)

Here are my opinions about the bands listed:

KMFDM
Obviously, they deserve to be here since they are a very influential industrial metal band, especially on the 'kraut' version of the style (ie. Rammstein, Oomph! etc.)

Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill ost's)
Well, he is a soundtrack composer so I'm not sure if he fits this poll. Also, when it comes to ambient industrial music, there are many far superior artists than him - Controlled Bleeding, Nurse With Wound and Lustmord, to name but a few.

Fear Factory
They were never industrial. They are simply metal with some electronic elements. Hatefiles, Remanufacture and Fear Is The Mind Killer, which do contain some songs that are sorta industrial, are REMIX albums.

Nine Inch Nails
Totally industrial, no matter what people say. Please, just listen to Downward Spiral or Broken. If you cant hear echoes of Skinny Puppy and Foetus over there, you are deaf! Also - totally metal. Just listen to "Last", "I Do Not Want This" or "The Wicked".

Rammstein
They gradually became less industrial as time went on, to the point when now I wouldnt call them industrial anymore. They were also never particularly original or unique, but they did have a few well written songs. Still, I dont think they belong to a list of "best industrial metal bands"

Ministry
Not much to say, these guys are extremely influential.

Oomph!
As listenable as these guys are, I simply dont think they deserve to be listed with the main artists of this style. Their influence is not as large as some people would like to think.

Godflesh
Obviously, this band needs to be in this poll. No question about it!

Other bands that should be in the poll:
Foetus - mixed industrial with rock long before KMFDM or Ministry had any guitars in their sound.
Die Krupps - the best German industrial metal band, period.
Skinny Puppy - they have enough industrial metal elements to make them a part of this poll. And they are an awesome band too...
Chemlab - probably the closest metal ever got to 'real' industrial.
Skrew - short lived and unlucky band but their first 3 albums are absolute bibles of industrial metal.
Pitchshifter - started as Godflesh clones but evolved into a completely unique band, mixing drum'n'bass with metal. Essential to any fan of the style.
The Young Gods - also predate Ministry and KMFDM when it comes to mixing industrial with rock/metal. Crucial band, phenomenal lyrics, extremely innovative music, which totally changes perceptions about how rock should be played.
Chrome - mixed industrial and metal in 1979. Nuff said! They might be forgotten today but that doesnt make them any less influential..

@BitterCOld
Not only were there a lot of industrial metal releases before PHM, PHM was also completely ignored in 1989, when it was released. It became big in 1991.
08.06.2006 - 10:02
Vunts
Well...so the poll results are mainly from metal. They're just what i know the best. However naming simply industrial bands isn't wrong here.
About Rammstein: i took Herzeleid sometimes yesterday and well...THAT had industrial elements i think. But their new stuff barely deserves the name...if even that.
About Fear Factory: i still think that even if the albums were remixed, they are more industrial than simply electronic elements.

It's good that you replied. It opened my eyes to...rather much new bands and brought a few back into my interest-list.
08.06.2006 - 21:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by jupitreas on 08.06.2006 at 00:15

@BitterCOld
Not only were there a lot of industrial metal releases before PHM, PHM was also completely ignored in 1989, when it was released. It became big in 1991.

I agree. The little goth/industrial/alternative club I used to to go in fall 89/spring 90 used to play "Head like a Hole" and "Sin"... but it wasn't until eMpTy Vee started playing "Head" on a regular basis several years later (like 92-93 was when they started getting popular while I was stationed on Guam... ) that anyone else knew who they were.

In that regard, "Head Like a Hole" is the industrial/industrial-metal cousin to Danzig's "Mother" and the Proclaimers "500 miles" which also became 'hits' something like four years after release.

I agree they are an influencial band, but saying they 'paved the way for these other bands' is akin to saying something like, oh, "Metallica paved the way for Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden."
----

08.06.2006 - 22:05
Vunts
Written by BitterCOld on 08.06.2006 at 21:36

I agree they are an influencial band, but saying they 'paved the way for these other bands' is akin to saying something like, oh, "Metallica paved the way for Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden."

Simply hilarious, in a good way. (damn, why did they take away the lettercount...this post by me wouldn't have happened, had the count stayed)
09.06.2006 - 03:01
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Well, since Ministry is the only industrial band that I like I voted for them. I prefer their last two cd's, but Psalm 69 was pretty good. Rio Grande Blood is my favorite, but it almost sounds more metal than industrial. That's probably why I like it the most.
09.06.2006 - 06:01
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Of course I vote again for Ministry, not only for what they are but also for what they had mean for my life as Metalhead... this makes me remember than since long ago I don't listen to them, but I had even enjoyed their older techno-pop stuff hehehe....

anyway... The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste" is an overwordly album....
16.06.2006 - 15:01
danzig111
Account deleted
oh that's Industrial Rock........i mostly just like Pure Techno-Industrial.............but from the list, most definately Rammstein!
13.07.2006 - 16:06
Bankler
Account deleted
Rammstein is best! The only industrial Metal I listen to. Till Lindemann got the voice!
13.07.2006 - 18:14
Damnated
Churchburner
Rammstein, because I got into the bands much later, when I was listening to more raw metal, and I didn't like them very much. I find Rammstein still good, but only their earlier albums. It's a good thing that they died, though
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.08.2006 - 19:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dunno I rhink no of those bands are my fav
Maybe Ramstain because well them attitude and probobly one historical leader be proud of them,
But my fav are Early Ministry so I vote goes to them
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.08.2006 - 01:01
DIE_by_my_HAND
MY favorite by far is SYL because of Devin Townsend's use of samples in the perfect places to compliment each riff and make it even heavier than it already is. It's just so effective and timeless...
----
And music: well it's just entertainment folks!!
-Devin Townsend
04.03.2007 - 04:02
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Oomph! Because Dero's voice is unique, he can go softly or do harsh or having a standard voice. Also because their ballads slam, and their videos are greatly made, they're like short films.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.02.2008 - 17:29
NOИ
I heard Ministry before some days. from this list I prefer Rammstein, they more completed in many ways.
26.02.2008 - 17:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
The first 3 albums of Rammstein are almost perfect...

And they have one of the best lyrics IMO...

It was a easy question
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.02.2008 - 07:07
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Skinny Puppy for me. I love Rammstein, Ministry, Fear Factory, Nine Inch Nails, and KMFDM, but SP set the standard for which I discovered all these. Rammstein makes good songs but they are fairly simple and cliche, Ministry sometimes get a little too punk-like, Fear Factory were awesome (similar to SYL), Nine Inch Nails albums changed my life, but With Teeth and Year Zero were letdowns IMO, and KMFDM are occasionally genius but inconsistent for the most part.