Metal Storm logo
Metallica

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 24.09.2008 - 04:44
Once again, topic for Metallica.

Quote:

WRITTEN BY X-CALIBER:
Youve been the one making the same excuse over and over again. I know its not 84. But even for 08, I still think that DM isnt an amazing album. So, why do you like it so much?

Because it's strong, agressive, fast, the solos are back, and it has SOME ELEMENTS form the old stuff. I loved ...And Justice For All so there's not really a reason for me to hate Death Magnetic. I enjoy every Metallica album, some more than others,. but DM is deffinitely in teh ones I like the most.

I mean, you can't expect that they make the same stuff they did in 83, when they were like 20 years old, when it's 2008, and they're 45 years old. Maybe they're not so skilled, maybe the album is mediocre, but since I am no musician, I can't really judge. People who bashed how "mediocre" the album supposedly is, for like 4 pages in teh past topic whould go and listen to Dram Theater or Porcupine Tree or sth. Like that, you'll find no mediocre stuff there.
26.04.2009 - 21:17
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by K✞ulu on 26.04.2009 at 15:04

I totally feel you on that. And his singing Seek&Destroy is also awesome.

really? i havent heard that one i'll check it out. also, have you heard that metallica is gonna be on some show one the discovery channel that uses super slow motion cameras to put into perspective on how fast things are actually moving. as if metallica moves very fast anymore and warrants a slow-mo analysis...
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
26.04.2009 - 23:05
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by LeChron James on 26.04.2009 at 21:17

really? i havent heard that one i'll check it out. also, have you heard that metallica is gonna be on some show one the discovery channel that uses super slow motion cameras to put into perspective on how fast things are actually moving. as if metallica moves very fast anymore and warrants a slow-mo analysis...

yeah, i've just read about it a few hours ago on facebook. string-bending will probably look cool in slow motion like in one of Pantera's videos.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.04.2009 - 10:55
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Anyone has metallica's 1991 donington bootleg? I searched to find it for years but I cant find it, niether its audio cd. if someone has seen "a year and half in the life of metallica", for whom the bell tolls" is from that bootleg.
27.04.2009 - 21:38
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by LeChron James on 26.04.2009 at 21:17

Also have you seen this? I have just finished watching Dimevision, where this video is featured. Totally mind-blowing. Pantera wasn't that gay in the 80's after all.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

07.05.2009 - 14:43
Written by Lord_Regnier on 26.04.2009 at 01:02

Written by terrorist on 25.04.2009 at 11:18

Yes you're right but you don't have to say that they sell out.They are playing whay they like and that is the fact.If someone starts to play and got famous today what will happen??Most of the people will say aaa they sell out they play it only for the money.

Yes, they are sellouts. They sold out at the time they released the black album.

A band that simply starts to sell more and becomes more famous but still play metal that will never become mainstream because it's too heavy and aggressive can't be accused of having sold out. For example, Slayer are very well-known nowadays, much more than during the 80s, but they're not sellouts: they still play Thrash Metal and don't appeal to mainstream masses.

Metallica is a totally different case. They started to release commercial metal with the black album, they changed their style to appeal to mainstream masses and make more money. It's not the same attitude at all than old bands like Slayer, Kreator or Exodus.

In other terms, they're not sellouts only because they sell lots of albums and are very famous, they're sellouts because the kind of metal they play is among the most commercial you can find.

I don't want to start a debate over it but Lars cares so much for money he helped to close Napster, even if Metallica were already rich as Hell back then.

You don't know how retarded this statement sounds.

Lars did not shut down Napster because he needed the money. He pursuited legal action because demo tracks were leaked onto it, and were not representative of the final product, giving people a bad impression of the song. If all they cared about was money, would they set up special sections at their gigs for bootleggers to record the show, meaning they can go enjoy and get a good quality recording? No. They'd take the route of bands like W.A.S.P. and prohibit any recording equipment at their gigs.

Do they constantly flood the market with stupid stopgap live albums, or "unearthed" rarities, like Iron Maiden or Megadeth or every other metal band ever? No. They offer a chance for people to purchase good quality live recordings as downloads, giving them artwork and stuff, for a cheap price, without placing an obligation on hardcore fans to collect them all. You don't have to buy any of them, but they give you the choice to do so, if you wish, and you get some bang for your buck.

They don't have an exceedingly stupid merch range like KISS? No. Granted, there is a few daft items, but that's just the norm for most big metal bands. Slayer and Iron Maiden have fucking SHOES for christ's sake! Slipknot have lightswitches!

If Metallica are sell-outs, then Iron Maiden, Slayer and Megadeth are practically fucking accountants. You seem to have seIective vision when it comes to Metallica, as most people do. I'll accept that St. Anger wasn't the best album ever, but it's still fucking decent and should be applauded for such a radical direction.

Also, on the subject of "commercial music". I doubt this very much applies to St. Anger. How could you possibly concieve that St. Anger is commercial? Metallica fans didn't want to hear it, and it's hardly palatable to mainstream "pop" tastes! If you went up to anyone in 2001/2002 and asked what they would like to hear from Metallica's new album, NOBODY would have said: "I want it to be intensely sludgy, with a racket drum sound, and absolutely no solos. I would also like James to sing out of key a little bit. All songs must also contain 2 riffs repeated for 8 minutes". Calling St. Anger a commerical venture is like Mr. Kipling saying that he wants to put glass in his cakes because, you know, everyone loves glass!

The same argument could be stretched to Load/ReLoad. No-one wanted to hear this sort of stuff from Metallica and although it's more accessible, it's hardly a common sound in the charts. You don't see Blues Rock bands headlining Ozzfest or Coachella or Lollapalooza or even Download or Rock Am Ring.

If Metallica were truly in it for the money, they'd have rehashed MOP 10 times. If they kept releasing Thrash Metal, you'd buy it, wouldn't you?

In reality: Metallica don't care if you buy their albums. They don't NEED anymore money. They'll just do what they want to. If they cared so much about what 15 year old fannies on Blabbermouth had to whinge about, they'd never have done St. Anger, or Load/Reload.

Stop being a knob and just spouting what everyone else told you to, and actually think about what you're saying.
07.05.2009 - 15:11
Lord_Regnier
They can do whatever they want now because they released a purely commercial and extremely easily accessible album in the early 90s (the black album). Tons and tons of people who bought it weren't even metal fans, but radio listeners. This album had such a commercial success that they could do whatever they wanted after because they became very rich through this commercial move.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
07.05.2009 - 15:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
People denying that Tallica sold out with the self-titled fifth album clearly have no idea what they are talking about.
The self-titled one was clearly marketed at gaining mainstream exposure and acceptance. Why else would a band such as Tallica hire Bob Rock for production purposes? FFS the guy made Motley Crue huge with his slick producing and mingling in the songwriting as well.
Cliff's death didn't totally fuck up Tallica, Bob Rock did.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.05.2009 - 16:25
Granted, the Black Album was fairly commercial, but it's also one of Metallica's weakest albums and the commercial songs are the worst on the album. Regardless, people still forget that album when they rant on about Metallica "selling-out". The reason Bob Rock was hired was because he is a good producer. The sound of TBA is possibly Metallica's finest and sonically, Metallica excelled on that album. Bob Rock didn't make them go in this direction, Metallica did. Bob Rock had barely any input on the album, and Metallica chose to go that way as a reaction to the over-progression of Justice.

Anyway, what is so bad about TBA-era Metallica? They made an album people LIKED? The sell-out bastards! Quite frankly, if I was given the chance to play bigger arenas and people to buy my album, I'd fucking jump at the chance. You seem to hate them for having money, but what's wrong with having a bit of money? If people like what they're doing, they deserve all the money they get. You seem to be crucifiying them for being able to pay the bills, and being able to live comfortably? Would you rather they were unable to make a living and playing shitty bars to 75 people?
07.05.2009 - 16:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by HarmonyCorruptio on 07.05.2009 at 16:25

Bob Rock had barely any input on the album....

He bleeding co-wrote the songs, wrote MOST of the bass parts, even recorded a lot of the bass parts. And you think he barely had any input? He is the person that dumbed down Metallica musically.
Btw, I think And Justice is their first truly bad album due to the so-called progessiveness of the album. It only contains three good songs in my books.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.05.2009 - 18:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.05.2009 at 16:30

I think And Justice is their first truly bad album due to the so-called progessiveness of the album. It only contains three good songs in my books.

i agree, the best are those 3 songs you said(one, dyers eve and blackened) and sure there is filler, but at least it's not shit thrown in the face of everyone like Load or St. Anger(and yes, it was shit thrown to the fans mostly, because they first completely discarded everything their 80s fanbase liked, and it was them who elevated the band to the top of the thrash metal movement in the late 80s, and then they pissed on their other fans, the ones who thought "ooooh, metallica nothing else matters teh best songz evuhrzh ahhahahhah1!'1")

they may have made some good stuff in all their eras(proving that when they want to they can be good musicians) but you have to hand it to them, they took the whole concept of "we can do anything we want now cause we have so much cash" too far..
08.05.2009 - 21:30
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
...And Justice For All has to be one of Metallica's best albums...even if it doesn't have any bass parts and the production is questionable, it's really a landmark in their discography and history as a band because it's really when they came together...every song on that album is fantastic...it's quite a memorable album...it's just one good song after another...
08.05.2009 - 22:17
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 08.05.2009 at 21:30

...And Justice For All has to be one of Metallica's best albums...even if it doesn't have any bass parts and the production is questionable, it's really a landmark in their discography and history as a band because it's really when they came together...every song on that album is fantastic...it's quite a memorable album...it's just one good song after another...

Well, some people just don't agree with that. You the first review on it here, right? The guy finds it boring... I totally agree with you though. Every song is great. There a short period of time when I enjoyed this album more than any other.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

09.05.2009 - 00:42
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 08.05.2009 at 21:30

Some people just don't agree with that

Yeah, yeah they make their opinions known all the time I know and so I do too
09.05.2009 - 21:37
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Lord_Regnier on 07.05.2009 at 15:11

They can do whatever they want now because they released a purely commercial and extremely easily accessible album in the early 90s (the black album). Tons and tons of people who bought it weren't even metal fans, but radio listeners. This album had such a commercial success that they could do whatever they wanted after because they became very rich through this commercial move.

If I hadn't seen your age sir, I would've definitely said you're a young man who has lost control of his mental faculties or intoxicated with alcoholic liquor. Of course I do respect your stance, still, and from where I've seen, you're more into "black meets folk" metal, right? That remembers me my first clash with Marcel.H who's by the way more into doom...Anyway, don't you think that the fact of illogically trashing one of the leaders of thrash metal, one of the big four, the heaviest one of them, could be directly referred to as "blasphemy"? If I were you I would prefer bashing St.Anger cause It would make some sense but "The Black Album"?! it's Enter Sandman, It's the mighty "The Unforgiven", it's the whole album! They sold millions if not billions of copies and it was certainly not for nothing. They are amongst the cream of the crop and they were somehow involved in influencing one or two of your favorite bands. Ask Blinded by Faith
10.05.2009 - 02:07
Lord_Regnier
And what is "The Unforgiven"? A purely commercial ballad, like nothing else this band had done before (until AJFA). Same for "Nothing Else Matters". If it's not a sellout move, then I don't know what else I could add.

As for Blinded By Faith, maybe Metallica influenced them but their music doesn't sound at all like Metallica. "Under An Occult Sun" and "Weapons Of Mass Distraction" are heavier, faster, and much harsher than anything Metallica have done after AJFA. Blinded By Faith's music is too harsh to appeal to mainstream audiences and play on radio.

"They sold millions if not billions of copies and it was certainly not for nothing". Of course, like I said before, it sold so well because it was a commercially-aimed album that appealed to mainstream audiences, to people who don't even listen to metal normally.

Everything you say just proves my point that the black album was a commercial, sellout move. End of discussion.
----
10.05.2009 - 11:54
Smurfophagist
Written by Lord_Regnier on 10.05.2009 at 02:07

And what is "The Unforgiven"? A purely commercial ballad, like nothing else this band had done before (until AJFA). Same for "Nothing Else Matters". If it's not a sellout move, then I don't know what else I could add.

As for Blinded By Faith, maybe Metallica influenced them but their music doesn't sound at all like Metallica. "Under An Occult Sun" and "Weapons Of Mass Distraction" are heavier, faster, and much harsher than anything Metallica have done after AJFA. Blinded By Faith's music is too harsh to appeal to mainstream audiences and play on radio.

"They sold millions if not billions of copies and it was certainly not for nothing". Of course, like I said before, it sold so well because it was a commercially-aimed album that appealed to mainstream audiences, to people who don't even listen to metal normally.

Everything you say just proves my point that the black album was a commercial, sellout move. End of discussion.

Dude, did you watch their San Diego Binge and Purge concert? Watch their performance of Unforgiven. After they finish the song Hetfield turns to the audience and asks: You like that shit? and the crowd goes YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That's when Metallica realized that thrash doesn't pay.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
11.05.2009 - 00:59
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 10.05.2009 at 02:07

So if a band makes a ballad the are "sell outs"?

In other Metallica News: James Hetfield returns to Swedish eatery to eat same meal that laid him flat; time to take a rare opportunity to put Hero tag on a Metallica story.
----
(space for rent)
12.05.2009 - 01:53
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yeah The Unforgiven is a decent song...there is a great balance between hard parts and sort parts...the video is killer...the riffs are catchy...in a lot ways, it's easier to put out an album chock full of fast, poorly recorded speedy thrash metal songs where all the modes are the same...but to piece an album together and REALLY piece it together (1983 vs. 1984, 1984 vs. 1986, 1988 vs. 1991, etc...) where it takes the band a lot of time and effort to release something decent with the thrash songs, commercial songs, segue parts, instrumentals and conceptual lyrics is a lot more respectable then putting out something that is heavy, brutal, speedy, trashy, whatever all at once and really fast in order to stay true to the fans, etc...it doesn't make them sell-outs: it makes them respectable progressive (not in the fan of progressive metal obviously) musicians who have matured over the years and who have let their experiences with the music and their environment bleed out into their music...
12.05.2009 - 16:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 12.05.2009 at 01:53

where it takes the band a lot of time and effort to release something decent with the thrash songs, commercial songs, ...

What thrash songs on Metallica - Metallica? There isn't a single thrash song on that album, hell, even Death Magnetic is more thrash and has more thrash songs than Metallica - Metallica.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2009 - 02:04
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
It's interesting how Metallica gets hate because they become succesful and get piles of cash.
Purists.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
13.05.2009 - 02:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 13.05.2009 at 02:04

It's interesting how Metallica gets hate because they become succesful and get piles of cash.
Purists.

I don't hate them for becoming more succesful and getting piles of cash. I HATE them for dumbing down their music and for getting progressively worse since Master Of Puppets and then REALLY goign for mainstream success with Metallica - Metallica totally disregarding their fans by that sell-out major cop-out album which is full of DUMB DOWN stupid mainstream billboard songs.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2009 - 02:55
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.05.2009 at 02:44

Purists.

I don't hate them for becoming more succesful and getting piles of cash. I HATE them for dumbing down their music and for getting progressively worse since Master Of Puppets and then REALLY goign for mainstream success with Metallica - Metallica totally disregarding their fans by that sell-out major cop-out album which is full of DUMB DOWN stupid mainstream billboard songs.

I love your ramblings. they makeme giggle.
But you must agree Marcel, Death Magnetic is a good album, even if it's not a Pure Thrash album....
They tried something that sold and got 'em money, and they stayed on ti, and moved with the waves
Everything changes Marcel. Or will you say yo have the same music taste, clothing style, life style than 20 years ago? I don't think so my friend....
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

13.05.2009 - 02:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 13.05.2009 at 02:55

Purists.

But you must agree Marcel, Death Magnetic is a good album, even if it's not a Pure Thrash album....
They tried something that sold and got 'em money, and they stayed on ti, and moved with the waves
Everything changes Marcel. Or will you say yo have the same music taste, clothing style, life style than 20 years ago? I don't think so my friend....

I agree that everything changes but I wholeheartedly DISAGREE with Death Magnetic being a GOOD album (regardless if it is thrash or heavy metal) DM is a mediocre album at best. The reason being precisely that Metallica tries hard at getting back to what they were about 20 to 18 years ago, but, alas, failing miserably at it since it is a cut and paste affair of an album. Not a single songs flows naturally and all the ideas they use here they already used a long time ago.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2009 - 03:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I'll agree with my fellow old man on this. i dislike and was horribly disappointed by the musical path they opted to pursue following "...And Justice For All..."

While "AJFA" did not live up to it's predecessors, at least it was still a solid album.

"Metallica" was a complete and total cash grab. I'm sure they don't regret it, so bully for them, but as a fan of the band that could not wait for that album to get released, it was the single greatest musical let down ever.

Honorable Mention goes to Megadeth for trying to do the same thing, following up a ripping "Rust In Peace" with the horribly pedestrian "Countdown".

if you were not a fan of either band 'back when' i honestly don't think you will ever understand just how disappointing those releases were.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.05.2009 - 03:48
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.05.2009 at 02:59

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 13.05.2009 at 02:55

Purists.

I agree that everything changes but I wholeheartedly DISAGREE with Death Magnetic being a GOOD album (regardless if it is thrash or heavy metal) DM is a mediocre album at best. The reason being precisely that Metallica tries hard at getting back to what they were about 20 to 18 years ago, but, alas, failing miserably at it since it is a cut and paste affair of an album. Not a single songs flows naturally and all the ideas they use here they already used a long time ago.

They were announcing a Retunr to teh roots for years. And everyone - you included - expected it. It came and what? You hate it. Hell, i dont' get it. How do you expect an album to be like in teh good old days without copy paste the same formula? Diagram, please
----

13.05.2009 - 05:45
Aspiring Nobody
Account deleted
The main problem I had with Death Magnetic was that it was, very much, like other people have said, an average, derivative album that attempted to capture what they had 20 years ago with modern production and touches to the core sound, but ultimately fell flat. I don't think it was terrible, but I'm glad I listened to my friend's copy before realizing it wasn't worth my money.

And on the Black Album I can tell you 3 tracks that I actually liked and about 2 tracks that were okay.
13.05.2009 - 07:54
Lord_Regnier

Exactly. Only blind fanboys can try to deny the evidence about the black album.

I also agree with everything BitterCold said in his last post.
----
13.05.2009 - 08:53
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Marcel: Well...I was referring to any album after Kill 'Em All really...Even their second album has commercial stuff on it with songs like Escape...they weren't really pure thrash for long...
15.05.2009 - 23:34
WITCHCLAN
Death Magnetic is a great album with some very strong material but for me, nothing has ever come close to ..And Justice For All - this is timeless and an absolute classic, followed closely with Master Of Puppets. I wonder what the next one will be like, I would like to see some faster material next time but that's just me.
----
Pre-order the new Witchclan demo now at www.witchclan.co.uk - release date 1st September 2010.
06.06.2009 - 12:03
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Last Thursday the 4th, I saw them here in Mexico, more than 50,000 voices singing along old and new material, It was a great night, after all, is one of my favorite metal bands of all times. They played many songs from "Death Magnetic", it wasn't that bad because for this reason I think they didn't played songs from "Load", "Reload" and "ST. Anger". On the other hand they played some songs I really thought they would not play that night, like "Blackened" and "Trapped Under Ice", I got crazy because those are great songs and "Trapped Under Ice" is one of the most underrated songs in their entire career, it was great. They also played some classics like "One", "Master Of Puppets", "Creeping Death" and "Seek And Destroy".

A cool part was when James took an acoustic guitar and started playing the intro for "...And Justice For All" and then changed to play "The Unforgiven".

Overall a great night, full of headbanging, mosh pits, flying garbage, beers (some fights too!) and a lot of Metallica, and after reading many things on this thread I got to think that I really don't care if they sold out or they released bags full of shit like ST. Anger, I don't care, they deliver a huge-ass show, they make their fans feel like Candy Candy in a sex-shop, they made me feel the energy flowing through my veins, they are Metallica, their Legacy is there, on each one of their albums, and even if they changed their style since the black album, I thought they got that they wanted, make the people talk about them, good or bad things, fans or haters, everyone knows them, every single metalhead talks about their good and bad albums. so it is like one of that phrases I heard on a movie a long time ago, "Atheists, always talking about God".

Let's see what they have prepared for us this saturday night.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"