Metal Storm logo
Old fart Metalstormers (The 45+ crowd)

Original post

Posted by Derwood, 13.10.2009 - 02:12
I know there are more of us here than Marcel and I... (I'm looking at you Lord Regnier and BitterCOld)

I figured we could use a thread of our own to discuss those things that are a concern to us aging metalheads, like actually buying albums and reminiscing about the scenes we grew up on and other things of little interest to all these young whippersnappers that are overrunning this place.

So...how many of us can still pull off the long hair without a hat? I know I'm out.
13.11.2009 - 09:50
albatros
Written by Derwood on 12.11.2009 at 05:07

I remember seeing a sign once that said "Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken." I've taken it as my motto.

Haha, lovely ... I didn't know this one. I'll post it on my locker in the office.
13.11.2009 - 10:05
albatros
Written by hanna of steel on 12.11.2009 at 12:09

So , what is it that makes you angry ?

My favourite rant is against people who don't do the job they are supposed to do - helplines etc
I won't go into detail , I'm sure you all know what I mean ...

I work at some sort of helpline myself. It's fun to help people and I like it. Sometimes I just screw up and then I'm sorry.

Reckless driving makes me angry. Both in a car or on a bike I really try not to be a nuisance, but I want to be left in peace.
13.11.2009 - 10:31
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by albatros on 13.11.2009 at 10:05

I work at some sort of helpline myself. It's fun to help people and I like it. Sometimes I just screw up and then I'm sorry.

In that case in future I will call you instead of the helplines designated

The cheese and wine theory is good - except I don't drink red wine or eat much cheese - maybe it's a guy thing

Anyway , as we are on a music forum ( supposedly ) I thought I would ask - do you prefer to hear new bands or would you rather stick with the old tried and trusted ones ?

Or a bit of both ?
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
13.11.2009 - 11:27
Jan
A bit of both really - the bands I heard in my formative years will always be special for me - but there is a lot of new bands releasing metal of really high quality these days - it would be narrow-minded to dismiss a band just because it is new IMO.

But whether we are talking new or old - my tastes runs to an oldschool, not too brutal sound these days.
13.11.2009 - 16:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
IN answer to Hanna's question.

I am always looking for new bands but also go to my old favourites.
Like right at this moment I am listening to some good old Armored Saint again (Delirious Nomad (1985) and Symbol Of Salvation (1991) and then some Dark Angel)
Whereas tonight I will seeing Akelei (they are about 2 - 3 years old now and about to record their debut), Officium Triste (formed in 1994 but about to record album nr. 5) and Forsaken (just released s tunning album on April 1)

And it's not only that I stick to old school sounds (which tonight's concert could suggest) I also love loads of new stuff like Obscura, Burnt By The Sun, Minsk, A Storm Of Light, Buried Inside, Tombs which is being released by Relapse and can be brutal as can be.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.11.2009 - 19:13
albatros
Written by hanna of steel on 13.11.2009 at 10:31

Written by albatros on 13.11.2009 at 10:05

In that case in future I will call you instead of the helplines designated
Anyway , as we are on a music forum ( supposedly ) I thought I would ask - do you prefer to hear new bands or would you rather stick with the old tried and trusted ones ?

Or a bit of both ?

I'd be delighted to get a call from you. Just have the callsign of your aircraft ready, please

I'm always searching for new bands. I'm skimming the threads of this forum for recommendations. It's nice to get a feeling for the tastes of many people here. I've also listend a little into your favourites "King Fear" They are not my thing but it was worth the effort.
15.11.2009 - 05:31
Derwood
I keep listening to the older stuff I enjoy, but I'm also always looking for new bands. A couple I've been very impressed with that I've just discovered over the the last month or two are Process of Guilt (thanks Marcel) and Revocation. At the same time, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden are never far from the CD player.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
16.11.2009 - 21:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I'm also of the "one foot firmly planted in the old stuff and one in the new" variety. seems like their is a lot of cool stuff coming out now in the genres that are less strictly defined... i.e. doom, sludge, black.

but as with Derwood, the classics are just a mouseclick away.

(i've copied everything i own to my pc and ipod to save wear and tear on disks. i've actually owned SIX different copies of The Cure's Disintegration - two tapes, four cd's - because heavy use, wel. disintegrated prior copies.)
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.11.2009 - 07:43
Derwood
Written by BitterCOld on 16.11.2009 at 21:08

(i've copied everything i own to my pc and ipod to save wear and tear on disks. i've actually owned SIX different copies of The Cure's Disintegration - two tapes, four cd's - because heavy use, wel. disintegrated prior copies.)

I rip all my stuff as well. It's also a lot more convenient to get half a dozen albums onto a single CD for my hour long commute.

I've only bought three copies of Disintegration, though (vinyl, cassette and CD). However, I must be up to seven or eight copies of The Who's Quadrophenia.
----
17.11.2009 - 13:40
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
All of my metal cds are ripped to my computer too - I do have another secret stash of other stuff which I don't listen to any more .
Songs from a past life

I listen to mostly newer stuff ( from the last 10 years or so ) .
I decided that perhaps the reason I didn't get into metal sooner was because I don't really like the older stuff .

This weeks bands of choice are Antigama and Dagoba .
----
05.03.2010 - 20:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
You know what i miss?

those cool old 'baseball' style t-shirts with the black shirt and the white 3/4 sleeves... god those were huge in the early 80's.

not sure why those popped in to my head during my commute to work (REO Speedwagon - completely unmetal - was playing on the radio, maybe it placed my subconscious "back in the day"...) but they did.

i miss those.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.03.2010 - 22:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 05.03.2010 at 20:27

You know what i miss?

those cool old 'baseball' style t-shirts with the black shirt and the white 3/4 sleeves... god those were huge in the early 80's.

I had a Suicidal Tendencies shirt like that.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.03.2010 - 23:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.03.2010 at 22:57

I had a Suicidal Tendencies shirt like that.

I had this ST shirt...

and if you look real hard in the back, you can see the CD longbox cover for Lawnmower Deth...
----

05.03.2010 - 23:51
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 05.03.2010 at 23:48

whoa, a younger Bitter COld!!!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
05.03.2010 - 23:56
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Darkside Momo on 05.03.2010 at 23:51

BitterCYoung!
----

06.03.2010 - 07:13
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 05.03.2010 at 23:56

Written by Darkside Momo on 05.03.2010 at 23:51

BitterCYoung!

Lol. Wait though...is that...Gumby, hanging from a noose in the corner?
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
06.03.2010 - 07:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Raiden on 06.03.2010 at 07:13

Lol. Wait though...is that...Gumby, hanging from a noose in the corner?

indeed it was.
----

31.03.2010 - 05:01
I_Die_Often
How could I miss this post?!?
Damn bi-focals!
OK, this old man is going to ramble aimlessly for a bit now...
I have always been attracted to the heaviest songs that were on the radio as a kid, listening to Ted Nugent, Rush and AC/DC in '77 and progressively getting into harder music as time went by, and my musical taste is getting more "extreme" all the time.
I have worked for the same company for over 26 yrs, a manager for 18. But... Peaking out from under my nice Bill Blass dress shirt today was... God Dethroned
I have a 23 yr old son, who is a MetalStormer also (I turned him onto the site!). We attend concerts together quite often.
Everybody I have known for years has gone away from the music, or they're stuck in 1986... I wonder how many of these "kids" that are so trOO will still be trOO in another 25 yrs? Not many I guess, just look at the small population of us old folks on here.
I'm not ready to "grow up" and listen to country or soft rock or some other shit... give me Dying Fetus!!!!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
31.03.2010 - 10:00
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
I wonder what we will be doing when we are in the " Old Folks Home " and everyone is gathered around the piano for a sing-song of Beatles tunes ...
----
31.03.2010 - 16:59
I_Die_Often
Written by hanna of steel on 31.03.2010 at 10:00

I wonder what we will be doing when we are in the " Old Folks Home " and everyone is gathered around the piano for a sing-song of Beatles tunes ...

more llike doing our best gutteral growls!
and corpse paint on our saggy faces!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
31.03.2010 - 20:14
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
And grimmed out walkers.
----

31.03.2010 - 20:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I think I will make my zimmerframe extra slow.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.04.2010 - 05:13
I_Die_Often
I just added my girlfriends picture to my profile.
I don't know what this attractive young girl sees in me...
Let's just say... she is not old enough to be in our club yet...
----
11.05.2010 - 01:54
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Hello geriatrics! I am going to see Rush for the ump-tenth time this July. Talk about a 35+ crowd? Wow! I can smell the Old Spice already!
----
rekt
13.05.2010 - 21:37
Derwood
You're a lucky bastard tea[m]ster.

Rush are still on my "I want to see before I (or they) die" list. I'll get to finally cross Iron Maiden off the list next month.

I know what you mean about the 35+ crowd. When I took my wife to see Judas Priest in '08, the section we were in looked like it could have used wheelchair access.

I hate to admit it, though I don't wear cologne, I do use Old Spice body wash and antiperspirant.

Kind of sad, really.
----
15.05.2010 - 18:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Jeez, Old Spice, my 69 year old uses Old Spice, I use Davidoff
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.05.2010 - 20:52
Derwood
I wonder if the Old Spice thing might be more tied to length of marriage than age. I use the stuff because my wife of nearly fourteen years likes it. It's something that changed around the ten year mark of our marriage. The other guys I know in their late 30's/early 40's who use it have all been married ten or more years. none of the single guys or those married for fewer years use it. Any amateur sociologists in this thread?

Nothing says "comfortable" quite like Old Spice.
----
15.06.2010 - 00:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hey older members whats your memmories about visiting dentist from 60's , 70's 80's
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.07.2010 - 20:30
FOOCK Nam
Never heard of Old Spice, sounds very longitude "oldie" tasting spicy. Such a good recommendation
18.07.2010 - 00:20
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Sorry boys Old Spice says "grandad " to me
----