Metal Storm logo
Metallica with Dave Mustaine.

Original post

Posted by Hermann Langke, 25.10.2009 - 17:54
Metallica are the Holy Grail of Thrash Metal.Now we all know that,once,it also had Dave Mustaine in its ranks.Now I want to know where would have Metallica been now had the volatile but hyper-talented Mustaine still been around with them?

Poll

Where would Metallica be had Dave Mustaine still been a member?

They would have been even greater
Can't say
They would have gone down
They would have stayed the way they are

Total votes: 171
16.12.2009 - 18:48
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Richard on 16.12.2009 at 05:07

Written by SatyriconChick on 16.12.2009 at 03:18

I honestly can't say. Who knows what might have happened had Dave been allowed to stay in the band? One thing I do know is that they probably wouldn't have put out a good deal of songs we've gotten out of them if Dave were still there and Kirk had never been with them.

Possibly, but then again who knows how the band would've changed? It's not as if Dave is the 'Metal guy' who wouldn't have ever taken a non-Metal direction, because Megadeth haven't exactly been consistent there either! People's attitudes change over time, and also various different scenarios could've happened even if the original line-up had remained, which could've altered the course of the music...

you talk very nice rechard, if you are not a fanboy! may I see your album votes to know if you are a fanboy or not?

anyway really liked your posts about metallica, really rational.
17.12.2009 - 01:40
Richard
Elite
Written by Guest on 16.12.2009 at 18:48

I honestly can't say. Who knows what might have happened had Dave been allowed to stay in the band? One thing I do know is that they probably wouldn't have put out a good deal of songs we've gotten out of them if Dave were still there and Kirk had never been with them.

Possibly, but then again who knows how the band would've changed? It's not as if Dave is the 'Metal guy' who wouldn't have ever taken a non-Metal direction, because Megadeth haven't exactly been consistent there either! People's attitudes change over time, and also various different scenarios could've happened even if the original line-up had remained, which could've altered the course of the music...

you talk very nice rechard, if you are not a fanboy! may I see your album votes to know if you are a fanboy or not?

Thanks - I think! My Metallica collection is here:

http://www.metalstorm.ee/users/collection.php?user_id=1722&wishlist=&tradelist=&c_where=bandname&c_what=Metallica

I haven't actually voted on any of those releases, though...
----
17.12.2009 - 01:45
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Richard on 17.12.2009 at 01:40

http://www.metalstorm.ee/users/collection.php?user_id=1722&wishlist=&tradelist=&c_where=bandname&c_what=Metallica

it was a bell for someone who tries to say Im a fanboy cause I have a lot of 10 votes for metallica but to be honest for me ppl how vote 5 6 for black album: you are very metal
18.12.2009 - 04:52
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I can't say, 'cause IMO, MUstaine's and Kirks styles are different, when it comes to solos, maybe with teh songwriting they would have gone a bit less into personal lyrics and that kinda stuff. Butthat's something I can't imagine, TBH.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.12.2009 - 12:02
Panterica
Can't say. If Dave was still in the band I guess the lyrics would've been better, but you got to remember that their relationships were/are pretty bad, so I guess it would've damage the music...
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
26.12.2009 - 17:55
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I think if dave was with them, jaymz would go to rehab sooner.
26.12.2009 - 19:54
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Panterica on 26.12.2009 at 12:02

Can't say. If Dave was still in the band I guess the lyrics would've been better, but you got to remember that their relationships were/are pretty bad, so I guess it would've damage the music...

I have nothing against Mustaine's lyrics, but I think Hetfield writes much better ones.
----
26.12.2009 - 21:07
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 26.12.2009 at 19:54

Written by Panterica on 26.12.2009 at 12:02

I have nothing against Mustaine's lyrics, but I think Hetfield writes much better ones.

at least Metallica without Dave has not a music video with Christiana Scabbia. Im very happy.
27.12.2009 - 11:04
If they kept Mustaine Metallica would never have had the commerical success they have seen today. Probably keeping within the same leagues of bands like Testament, Exodus etc.... but never breaking out to be an arena rock band.
----
"The people who are dark fear the people who are fair
And hippies live in terror of the guys who have no hair
The saddest thing of all - what I really find grim
Is we haven't yet noticed what a mess we're all in."
27.12.2009 - 12:17
Warman
Erotic Stains
So Mustaine in Metallica would surely have kept the band from reaching commercial success? Why do so many believe that? Oh sorry, more likely, why do so many KNOW that? Seems that many here are 100 % sure of what would happen, no speculations.
----
27.12.2009 - 12:42
I'm fairly sure of talking of the implications of change of event that happened in 1983/84 would be speculation and not solid knowledge, but just so I don't confuse you as to if I am being clarvoyant or speculating. The above post of mine is what I think might have happened not a 100% certainty.

Glad we cleared that up.
----
"The people who are dark fear the people who are fair
And hippies live in terror of the guys who have no hair
The saddest thing of all - what I really find grim
Is we haven't yet noticed what a mess we're all in."
27.12.2009 - 12:46
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha yeah don't worry about it, everyone's got an opinion, fine with me. I was just so tired of users writing stuff like they were absolutely sure about what would happen with Dave in the band. No "I think", "I guess", "maybe", "what if" etc. etc.
----
29.12.2009 - 02:34
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Megadeath>Metallica
29.12.2009 - 08:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bitter Dawn on 29.12.2009 at 02:34

Megadeath>Metallica

Never heard of a band called Megadeath, is that your new band?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.12.2009 - 13:31
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.12.2009 at 08:44

Written by Bitter Dawn on 29.12.2009 at 02:34

Megadeath>Metallica

Never heard of a band called Megadeath, is that your new band?

I think it might be a amateur band who cover Megadeth songs!
29.12.2009 - 18:42
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Real funny smart asses. That whole Metalocalypse/Dethklock thing throws me off from time to time. I honestly don't understand why people even bother with Metallica any more, those guys have sucked for the better part of the last 14 years, Load was some what forgivable, at least compared to St.Anger and so on.

Not to mention, there was a lot better music coming out during the 80's and early 90's, they really should just throw in the towel and stop emberassing themselves.
30.12.2009 - 02:42
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Bitter Dawn on 29.12.2009 at 18:42

... Load was some what forgivable, at least compared to St.Anger and so on.

I just forgave Mustaine when he made a duet with a bitch. what a big difference metallica sings for poor prostitutes (Turn the Page) then Mustaine makes a Duet with the sexiest female vocalist (take a look at Rolling Stone Magazine) for "A Tout Le Monde".

in the end, read Dave's last funny Letter, he says: "I was praying (piss myself laughing) to be friend with slayer and metallica again!" , ask him why he cares about metallica anymore?
31.12.2009 - 08:21
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 30.12.2009 at 02:42

I just forgave Mustaine when he made a duet with a bitch. what a big difference metallica sings for poor prostitutes (Turn the Page) then Mustaine makes a Duet with the sexiest female vocalist (take a look at Rolling Stone Magazine) for "A Tout Le Monde".

in the end, read Dave's last funny Letter, he says: "I was praying (piss myself laughing) to be friend with slayer and metallica again!" , ask him why he cares about metallica anymore?

Dude, can you stop bashing Megadeth and Mustaine for the mere sake of bashing them. Stop talking shit.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
31.12.2009 - 08:39
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 31.12.2009 at 08:21

Dude, can you stop bashing Megadeth and Mustaine for the mere sake of bashing them. Stop talking shit.

I wont till ppl talking wrong about metallica just for hold mustaine's back. the shit which you are talking about was an answer or you are blind?

secondly you are not supposed to give me advice about my words, as I remember your quotes are always seems advices to me. change the manner or dont quote me.
31.12.2009 - 08:49
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 31.12.2009 at 08:39

I wont till ppl talking wrong about metallica just for hold mustaine's back. the shit which you are talking about was an answer or you are blind?

People will continue talking talking shit about Metallica. That doesn't mean you should talk shit about Megadeth as a response to that. That's not the way out (especially for the purpose of defending Metallica).
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

31.12.2009 - 09:29
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 31.12.2009 at 08:49

Written by Guest on 31.12.2009 at 08:39

People will continue talking talking shit about Metallica. That doesn't mean you should talk shit about Megadeth as a response to that. That's not the way out (especially for the purpose of defending Metallica).

you think its just a respond? no, I said the truth. if James did such song with Scabbia I would erase Metallica from my favorite bands. I hate ppl who do anything for money! and its Megadeth not Metallica. its what I think, true or false.
31.12.2009 - 12:46
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 31.12.2009 at 09:29

if James did such song with Scabbia I would erase Metallica from my favorite bands.

yeah... right...

Written by Guest on 31.12.2009 at 09:29

I hate ppl who do anything for money!

Are you saying Metallica have never done anything for money? One could argue that any music video that any does is for money.

And why are you saying that singing a song with Scabbia is a sell-out move? And what does her sexiness have to do with anything. And don't call her a bitch. wtf?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

31.12.2009 - 13:11
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@ktulu, everyone have an opinion, I call her a bitch cause I didnt like her photos in rolling stones, whats the difference btw her and Britney then?

about metallica and do things for money, yes all ppl do things for money but the way of doing it is very important. you can be a bitch and make money you can do a lot of things. you can say that other bands are sell-out and do what the fuck you want! Im not a Mustaine or megadeth enemy, but just trying to show Megadeth's faults to blinds, I dont have to count metallica's faults over here, I thinkn there are a lot of ppl who are trying to do this with the worst manner. I cant understand who brainwashed them! for example, if megadeth was released Black Album, now ppl were talking about a masterpiece. but now cause Metallica is big as hell, they say its a normal album. piss myself laughing, just ppl who are really DEF can give a rate under 9 to that album.
31.12.2009 - 16:05
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Ok, don't really know anything about Scabbia, so can't comment on what you said. But as far as the Black Album, Megadeth had their own called Countdown to Extinction. And there are people who hate the two bands for releasing those records and there are others who like them, so your normal/masterpiece argument just doesn't make sense. And as far as rating albums... people have different tastes; live with it.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

31.12.2009 - 16:50
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 31.12.2009 at 16:05

Ok, don't really know anything about Scabbia, so can't comment on what you said. But as far as the Black Album, Megadeth had their own called Countdown to Extinction. And there are people who hate the two bands for releasing those records and there are others who like them, so your normal/masterpiece argument just doesn't make sense. And as far as rating albums... people have different tastes; live with it.

take a look at my album votes, "Cryptic Writings" got 10 IMO. I really dont hate Megadeth, but the problem is that MEgadeth's fans cant take metallica always. but we are not like them. But when they dont calm down and cant talk rational, then its time to show them the truth. when a fan of megadeth says why ppl care about metallica, then he should know that Mustaine wrote a letter and its very clear that how he cares about metallica that was all which I wanted to say.
04.01.2010 - 18:08
Panterica
Wow, what a heavy discussion...Who wants ice-cream?
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
05.01.2010 - 07:53
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted

it seems that you erased your votes about metallica recently.
06.01.2010 - 01:30
Richard
Elite
Written by Guest on 05.01.2010 at 07:53

it seems that you erased your votes about metallica recently.

Nope, as I said, I haven't voted on any of the Metallica releases, I haven't recently changed anything in that respect...
----
13.02.2010 - 08:54
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Panterica on 04.01.2010 at 18:08

Wow, what a heavy discussion...Who wants ice-cream?

I do.
25.02.2010 - 10:25
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps

An interesting hypothesis.