Metal Storm logo
Traditional Doom Metal

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 23.05.2006 - 11:16
IIRC Dr. X started a similar topic in the old forum. Anyway, I thought I just as well a start a new one here. With Traditional Doom Metal I mean Sabbath-based bluesy Doom with clean vocals. Thus the thread is meant for bands like for Saint Vitus, Trouble and Candlemass but not My Dying Bride or Katatonia.

Anyway, my favourite Doom Metal bands are the following:
Black Sabbath
Blood Thirsty Demons
Candlemass
Dantesco
Doomsword
Internal Void
Orodruin
Pagan Altar
Pale Divine
Pentagram
Place Of Skulls
Reverend Bizarre
Saint Vitus
Solitude Aeturnus
Spirit Caravan
The Gates Of Slumber
Trouble
Witchcraft
Witchfinder General

Other good Doom bands I listen to are:
Abdullah
Acrimony
Against Nature
Begotten
Bigelf
Blood Farmers
Cathedral
Confessor
Count Raven
Doomshine
Earth Flight
Eight Hands For Kali
Electric Wizard
Forsaken (MLT)
Goatsnake
Grand Magus
Great Coven
Isole
Krux
Leather Nun
L'impero Delle Ombre
Merca
Minotauri
Mood
Penance
Sorcery
Spiritus Mortis
Starchild
The Hidden Hand
The Obsessed
Thunderstorm
Veni Domine
Voodooshock
Wall Of Sleep
Well Of Souls (US)
Witch Mountain
World Below

The list became quite extensive... Anyway, any more Trad. Doomsters around here (besides Dr. X)? And in case, yes, what are your favourites?
21.05.2008 - 13:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 21.05.2008 at 12:48

Regardless, this is some tasty doom. Now playing - "Stormchild."

Which is of course a cover of NWOBHM band Trespass but unfortunately not as good as the orginal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.05.2008 - 13:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 21.05.2008 at 12:58

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.05.2008 at 12:55

The New Dark Age I find to be Solstice's best closely followed by Lamentations.The Halcyon ep is also very goo. So, what it boils down to is that all three releases are very good to great. All three have been re-released by Cyclone Empire last year and contain a lot of bonus tracks. All three re-releases clock in just over 70 mnutes.
'So... just go get all three and you won't be disappointed.
Rich Walker is a great musician and of course a full cousing of Warning's Pat Walker.

Alright thanks. I'd love to get them all at once but 1) I have limited funds at the moment and 2) I've actually only been able to find 'Lamentations' for sale online and neither of the other two. I may just not be looking hard enough though.

http://www.displeasedrecords.com has all three in stock, but isn't the cheapest place on-line to buy your stuff if you live outside the Netherlands. Maybe you could also try http://www.cyclone-empire.com
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.05.2008 - 08:07
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well hot damn! I just found and ordered Solstice's 'New Dark Age' on Amazon.com for only 7.97 USD, and that's with shipping! I'll be getting two really great albums here within the next week for less than 20 USD. I think I did pretty well. (And deserve to buy myself a couple of albums, seeing as I haven't bought a new album in months.)
----
The force will be with you, always.
22.05.2008 - 08:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 22.05.2008 at 08:07

Well hot damn! I just found and ordered Solstice's 'New Dark Age' on Amazon.com for only 7.97 USD, and that's with shipping! I'll be getting two really great albums here within the next week for less than 20 USD. I think I did pretty well. (And deserve to buy myself a couple of albums, seeing as I haven't bought a new album in months.)

Wow, only 8 usd... that's only 5 euro. Nice find.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.05.2008 - 08:38
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.05.2008 at 08:10

Written by Clintagräm on 22.05.2008 at 08:07

Wow, only 8 usd... that's only 5 euro. Nice find.

Yeah, I thought so. It was only 4.99 + 2.98 shipping. I was suren't at first, but the guy had a great rating, and there were a few others for cheap, and some really expensive ones. Says it was in good condition, an import, but those usually seem to be more expensive. Anyway, looked legit. I guess I'll find out. Great find indeed. Can't wait.

Another good band I'm listening to right now is Russia's Scald. Some really epic stuff here.
----
22.05.2008 - 18:18
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Anybody like The Lord Weird Slough Feg? I think they're quite doomy enough to be mentioned here.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
22.05.2008 - 18:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by CrypticMyth on 22.05.2008 at 18:18

Anybody like The Lord Weird Slough Feg? I think they're quite doomy enough to be mentioned here.

I consider them to be epic heavy metal with some very very very slight doomy touches. And last year's effort Hardworlder I don't come across those doomy touches any more at all.

Funny you should mention them cause I just ordered the following Hardworlder edition on vinyl:
yellow/orange sunburst 180 gramme vinyl with 350 gramme cardboard gatefold sleeve "Gully Foyle" special edition limited to 100 copies:
The first one-hundred copies will come as the "Gully Foyle" edition. They will be pressed in sunburst coloured vinyl and include one artcard signed individually to the buyer's name and a 16 page re-print of the first comic adaption of "The stars my destination" ever, originally painted by Stan Pitt, one of the most renowned cartoon artists (Marvel, DC Comics, etc) in 1967 and issued only in a handful of copies. A true rarity unearthed not only for fans of band, but also for fans of Science Fiction and classic comics in general.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.05.2008 - 21:39
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.05.2008 at 18:42

yellow/orange sunburst 180 gramme vinyl with 350 gramme cardboard gatefold sleeve "Gully Foyle" special edition limited to 100 copies:
The first one-hundred copies will come as the "Gully Foyle" edition. They will be pressed in sunburst coloured vinyl and include one artcard signed individually to the buyer's name and a 16 page re-print of the first comic adaption of "The stars my destination" ever, originally painted by Stan Pitt, one of the most renowned cartoon artists (Marvel, DC Comics, etc) in 1967 and issued only in a handful of copies. A true rarity unearthed not only for fans of band, but also for fans of Science Fiction and classic comics in general.

Geeze, that sure is a collector's item, but it sounds like it would take more money just to make it happen than you'd get from selling them. Unless it had a pretty price tag on it? Cool nonetheless.
----
22.05.2008 - 21:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 22.05.2008 at 21:39

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.05.2008 at 18:42

Geeze, that sure is a collector's item, but it sounds like it would take more money just to make it happen than you'd get from selling them. Unless it had a pretty price tag on it? Cool nonetheless.

this limited to 100 copies edition costs 17 euro (around 27 usd)

the limited to 425 copies regular edition costs 13 euro (around 21 usd)

the limietd to 5 copies test pressing costs 30 euro (around 48 usd)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2008 - 11:56
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
^^Woah. Sweet. And I thought the cover art on the CD was way cool... Heh.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
24.05.2008 - 00:18
Glen_Doom
My current trad. doom favourites are Blood Farmers. Simply amazing heavy riffs.

I think currently missing from the 1st post list are:

- Mercy (Messiah's pre-Candlemass, pre-Memento Nostri band)

- Iron Man (a band that started as a cover-band of Black Sabbath)

- Hour of 13 (can't believe this band is left out)

- Jex Toth

- The Lamp of Toth

- The River

- Warning

- Lords of the North

- Misericorde

Currently these are the bands that come to my mind. Lastly I want to give a special mention to my compatriots Forsaken and my friends from Pagan Altar. The latter are really friendly people.
----
Spitting in the face of mainstream music !!!
24.05.2008 - 00:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Glen_Doom on 24.05.2008 at 00:18

I think currently missing from the 1st post list are:

- Mercy (Messiah's pre-Candlemass, pre-Memento Nostri band)

- Iron Man (a band that started as a cover-band of Black Sabbath)

- Jex Toth

- The Lamp of Toth

- The River

- Warning

- Lords of the North

- Misericorde

Currently these are the bands that come to my mind. Lastly I want to give a special mention to my compatriots Forsaken and my friends from Pagan Altar. The latter are really friendly people.

I see you mentioned Jex Thoth, then also be sure to check out (which you probably did) Totem which was the same band, but different name.

Warning are of course gods check out the concert review here http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/article.php?article_id=446

IMO The River is marred by the powerless vocals of their female vocalist. Musically nice band but vocally doesn't cut it.

As Forsaken, saw them live at Dutch Doom Days last year November and met them. The are great guys.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.05.2008 - 00:54
Glen_Doom
Really great review there. How can such bands have only 70 spectators still baffles my mind. But it seems that good music is reserved for the few and I'm happy to be one of those few.

I knew already about Totem and I somewhat agree about your comment regarding The River.

Would like to point out also the fact that a doom band from Greece with the name of Litany have recently released their debut album which I personally rate highly. Link: http://www.myspace.com/litanydoom

PS: On the 12th of July there is going to be the DOOM METAL INQUISTION V with a very good lineup consisting of:

Pagan Altar
The River
The Lamp of Toth
Witch Sorrow
Centurions Ghost
Warning
Lazarus Blackstar
Misericorde
Forsaken

Hope I can make it because doom concerts don't get much better than that.
----
24.05.2008 - 04:07
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
It's mostly just Death/Doom I pay attention to, but doom metal is still a new genre to me.

Candlemass, however are the latest Doom band I've gotten into and they're not Death/Doom
24.05.2008 - 04:11
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder

Their sister band Ogre is also very good. They take on a bit more of a '70s Rock feel, but still great nonetheless.

By the way, that would be a kick ass concert, too bad they don't ever have anything like that around here.
----
24.05.2008 - 04:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

This is actually the very first time I have seen this name around.
So went over to check them and lo and behold...

Hour Of 13 has Phil Swanson on vocals.

I absolutely love his vocal work on Atlantean Kodex - The Hidden Folk & Vestal Claret - Two Stones. IMO it is a shame that didn't do the vocals for Atlantean Kodex - Pnakotic Demos. His vocals are better than those of Markus Becker.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.05.2008 - 04:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 24.05.2008 at 04:11

Their sister band Ogre is also very good. They take on a bit more of a '70s Rock feel, but still great nonetheless.

By the way, that would be a kick ass concert, too bad they don't ever have anything like that around here.

I have only heard Ogre - Seven Hells but like it very much. Like you said a 70s rock feel. They remind me of a St. Vitus/PLace Of Skulls/The Obsessed/Black Sabbath mix.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.05.2008 - 04:31
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.05.2008 at 04:21

I have only heard Ogre - Seven Hells but like it very much. Like you said a 70s rock feel. They remind me of a St. Vitus/PLace Of Skulls/The Obsessed/Black Sabbath mix.

That's quite a mix but yeah, they pull it off quite well. However I don't know if any of the newer or post-70s bands (Witchcraft, The Obsessed, etc) can ever beat any of the early stuff: Black Sabbath, Sir Lord Baltimore, Captain Beyond, Leaf Hound, etc. But they sure as hell can pull it off quite well. I myself prefer Traditional Doom over '70s Rock, but both worlds are among the best, of course.
----
24.05.2008 - 04:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 24.05.2008 at 04:31

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.05.2008 at 04:21

That's quite a mix but yeah, they pull it off quite well. However I don't know if any of the newer or post-70s bands (Witchcraft, The Obsessed, etc) can ever beat any of the early stuff: Black Sabbath, Sir Lord Baltimore, Captain Beyond, Leaf Hound, etc. But they sure as hell can pull it off quite well. I myself prefer Traditional Doom over '70s Rock, but both worlds are among the best, of course.

Witchcraft are great on album but really really disappointed me last April when I saw them at the Roadburn festival. They didn't even come close to a quarter of the greatness of The Alchemist. I heard from others who had seen them before that that is usually the case. So, unfortunately it seems that Withcraft is a band to be treasured on album instead of in live environs.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.05.2008 - 04:49
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.05.2008 at 04:40

Witchcraft are great on album but really really disappointed me last April when I saw them at the Roadburn festival. They didn't even come close to a quarter of the greatness of The Alchemist. I heard from others who had seen them before that that is usually the case. So, unfortunately it seems that Withcraft is a band to be treasured on album instead of in live environs.

Yeah, that's too bad. They seem like a band that would be able to recreate their atmosphere quite well live. However, considering their sound and style, I don't think a bigger venue (like Roadburn was, I'm guessing) is exactly right for them. I could just be talking out of my ass though. But I never followed Witchcraft much anyways, even though when I first heard "No Angel or Demon" I was completely blown away, but that might have been from the fact that they sounded like a '70s band yet weren't, as opposed to them actually being that amazing. However, they still are quite good. Unfortunate about them live though.
----
24.05.2008 - 04:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 24.05.2008 at 04:49

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.05.2008 at 04:40

Yeah, that's too bad. They seem like a band that would be able to recreate their atmosphere quite well live. However, considering their sound and style, I don't think a bigger venue (like Roadburn was, I'm guessing) is exactly right for them. I could just be talking out of my ass though. But I never followed Witchcraft much anyways, even though when I first heard "No Angel or Demon" I was completely blown away, but that might have been from the fact that they sounded like a '70s band yet weren't, as opposed to them actually being that amazing. However, they still are quite good. Unfortunate about them live though.

The Roadburn was limited to a capacity of around 2000. They did play the mainstage (so 2000 did fit into that room) But apparently they have also played the other two, way smaller, rooms at Roadburn a couple of times in the past and they still sucked live.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.05.2008 - 04:58
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.05.2008 at 04:55

The Roadburn was limited to a capacity of around 2000. They did play the mainstage (so 2000 did fit into that room) But apparently they have also played the other two, way smaller, rooms at Roadburn a couple of times in the past and they still sucked live.

Could just be a poor live band then. I doubt I'll ever have to worry about that though. I don't see them coming around here anytime soon. Regardless of how they are, I'd still say that's unfortunate for me. Oh well.
----
24.05.2008 - 05:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 24.05.2008 at 04:58

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.05.2008 at 04:55

Could just be a poor live band then. I doubt I'll ever have to worry about that though.

and then to think I am worrying about the fact I can only spend my euro once on a show here. It seems like everyone is always to eager to tour my little country.
Besides of all sorts of small club gigs coming up (and just having attended) tomorrow and in two weeks time the first ever Hail Of Bullets gig, there is a doomfest coming up in September (feat. amongst others Warning, Krux, My Dying Bride, Primordial, not doom but fitting for such a bill nonetheless) and then in the last weekend of October Dutch Doom Days (feat. 15 doom bands, of traditional doom bands Fall Of The Idols has already been confirmed, and knowing the organisers some more trad doom will be booked since they want a nice cross section of as many sorts of doom as possible)
And tomorrow off to see Officium Triste's first gig with their new drummer and now their old drummer manning the keyboards fulltime, as well as the first ever gig by Faal (who sounded really promising on their myspace site)
So as you can see, totally no shortage of good gigs in this country. And the great thing about the size of The Netherlands is that you can get anywhere you want with a two-three journey at most.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.05.2008 - 05:47
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.05.2008 at 05:10

Gee, thanks for rubbing it in. But oh well. Hopefully I'll live in a more tour-friendly city in the near future after I get out of undergraduate school. I may even take a few trips over to you guys and catch some good shows in the process. All in time.
----
24.05.2008 - 10:20
Glen_Doom
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.05.2008 at 04:19

This is actually the very first time I have seen this name around.
So went over to check them and lo and behold...

Hour Of 13 has Phil Swanson on vocals.

I absolutely love his vocal work on Atlantean Kodex - The Hidden Folk & Vestal Claret - Two Stones. IMO it is a shame that didn't do the vocals for Atlantean Kodex - Pnakotic Demos. His vocals are better than those of Markus Becker.

Having just recently obtained 'The Pnakotic Demos' and never heard their previous split album, I too believe Swanson would have done a better job on the latter album. He voice is nearer to what I like to hear associated with this kind of music.

A band which comes to my mind right now and wanted to bring to your attention is 'Kin of Ettins'

Link: http://www.myspace.com/kinofettins

Another band is Lord Vicar, which consists of Peter from Reverend Bizarre and Count Raven vocalist Chritus

Link: http://www.myspace.com/lordvicar
----
24.05.2008 - 10:35
Glen_Doom
Quote:

Thanks for pointing that out. I have already heard about Ogre but not listened to them enough to have an opinion of my own. I will try remedy to that situation a quickly as possible.
----
24.05.2008 - 12:13
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
@Marcel: I'd kill to live in the Netherlands man! I'm hoping I can get a scholarship out of the Erasmus Mundus programme and hitch a ride to some university there.

And if you're a fan of the Hardworlder artwork, do check out the new Ogre disc. The sleeve inside SLAYS! Total retro-comic goodness, and awesome music to go with it as well.
----
25.05.2008 - 05:51
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I just stumbled across this US Doom Metal band Last Chapter while I was searching for Solitude Aeturnus CDs online and well, I think they sound pretty good. I'm sure some of you have heard of them. They sound like your usual Traditional Doom band, and their vocalist on their debut is Rob Lowe! Check them out.

http://www.myspace.com/lastchap
----
30.05.2008 - 12:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Just received my copy of it today... and my God this is some kick ass METAL. I wouldn't call them straight up doom though. More like NWOBHM with heavy doom influences. So a bit like The Lamp Of Thoth, but the Lamp is nowhere near as good as Hour Of 13 though.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.05.2008 - 17:05
Glen_Doom
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.05.2008 at 12:45

Just received my copy of it today... and my God this is some kick ass METAL. I wouldn't call them straight up doom though. More like NWOBHM with heavy doom influences. So a bit like The Lamp Of Thoth, but the Lamp is nowhere near as good as Hour Of 13 though.

I'm glad my comments were useful to you in discovering a new band. In addition to that I want to mention a new band called Nomad Son http://www.myspace.com/nomadsonmalta http://www.nomadson.com . It consists of Albert Bell (bassist Forsaken) and the other 4 members come from a classic rock/metal band Frenzy Mono. Their debut album is going to be released 19th July on Metal-On-Metal records. Pretty good stuff.
----