Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2017

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 29.11.2016 - 06:23
You know the drill, recommend me good metal stuff from 2017. Remember this is not a playlist or promotion place, it should be stuff you have HEARD ATLEAST ONCE which means it is not just stuff YOU think is good but something that OTHERS should find good and enjoy as well.

Death metal from Portugal. Sounds more closely to Disma than anything else to my ears. Quite melodic and groovy. It's hard to judge anything from a single but yeah this seems like something that is worth keeping an eye on.

The Ominous Circle - Appalling Ascension

16.01.2017 - 20:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yet another release from the EEE Recordings (Oaks of Bethel, Njiqahdda etc. folks). This one is a sublime sounding ambient drone / drone doom release. Quite peaceful in nature, even when it gets noisier.

Interestingly, there's a version of it with only the synth and effects kept, here.

And a bump for this coz it's great.

How's that for an artwork. Seems like this track by track preview of it is back from early 2016 but seems like it's still relevant as it'll finally be out soon. Very nice sounding black metal with members of Akhlys / Nightbringer and Enthroned / Lvcifyre. Out on Dark Descent Records or Daemon Worship Productions. Or both.

16.01.2017 - 22:12
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Guest on 16.01.2017 at 14:17

This fantastic album is now fully streamable.

Turia is amazing! This one is more or less the same as Dor, which was phenomenal. That warble on the background is such a great feature, it's as if the guitar chords were quite clean and the feedback distortion stays on the back emitting that sort of hum.

Stoked to see them in a few days along Lubbert Das (another fantastic band with similar line-up). Gonna be good.
16.01.2017 - 22:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

This fantastic album is now fully streamable. Hypnotic black metal with an almost folk quality in its melodies. Still loving the alien warble that permeates in the background.

Seen them live a couple of times, quite fun to be honest and the female vocalist is also good.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.01.2017 - 22:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Vombatus on 16.01.2017 at 22:12

Stoked to see them in a few days along Lubbert Das (another fantastic band with similar line-up). Gonna be good.

Yeah the guitar player of Turia plays bass in Lubbert Das.
Als seen Lubbert Das live a couple of times.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.01.2017 - 23:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Not sure I realised it was a female on vocals actually. Seems to be happening a lot lately. Lubbat Das rings a bell too; I feel like I have good associations with that name.

Some enormously fun sounding jamming hard rock, or as they call it "Psycho-delic shred-tastic ultra-hyphened rock-punk heavy jams."

Absolutely spectacular art by sci-fi artist Frank Frazetta.

16.01.2017 - 23:38
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ That sounds surprisingly interesting for a hard rock band
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.01.2017 - 06:13
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New Cloak of Altering madness. Vocals are more prominent than ever before.

17.01.2017 - 15:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New Twinesuns single out finally. Sick drone doom with weird atmospheric effects.

Got this from a pretty good source but oddly enough I can't find confirmation of it anywhere. Probably legit though.

Upcoming blackened death EP being released on Invictus Productions. Yet another Aussie entry in this scene, and a good one too.

Blistering black / punk. I think I overlooked this a few weeks ago but after trying again it is indeed pretty good.

17.01.2017 - 18:57
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 17.01.2017 at 15:14

Blistering black / punk. I think I overlooked this a few weeks ago but after trying again it is indeed pretty good.

Already posted this on 29/12. Its on page 3. Its a caligari records release which means I will post it pretty damn sure without missing it. Definitely good stuff indeed.
17.01.2017 - 19:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 17.01.2017 at 19:30

Written by 3rdWorld on 17.01.2017 at 18:57

Already posted this on 29/12. Its on page 3. Its a caligari records release which means I will post it pretty damn sure without missing it. Definitely good stuff indeed.

We need that search function back.

No idea what you're on about but I can search for Cioran in "General Metal forum" in messages and the search shows it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.01.2017 - 19:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Or at least on a pc. No idea about smartphone, tbh.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.01.2017 - 19:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.01.2017 at 19:42

Or at least on a pc. No idead about smartphone, tbh.

Actually I just this second spotted that Ivan has re-implemented the search bar at the top of the thread.
17.01.2017 - 19:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Excellent sounding split between Ecferus and Palace of Worms. While I'm a big fan of Ecferus I think Palace of Worms side sounds better here. Really punchy black metal with a death edge.

17.01.2017 - 20:25
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Turkish death black metal combined with a nice putrefying stench ridden oil painting from Paolo Girardi. Need I say more?

Sarcophagus - Beyond This World's Illusion

17.01.2017 - 20:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Death metal? Straight up generic black metal with a melodic edge if my earlier listen was anything to go by.
17.01.2017 - 20:33
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Alright the paolo girardi cover and the title kinda blinded me and I wasn't paying attention while listening to it. Good song though.
17.01.2017 - 20:36
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.01.2017 at 22:25

Yeah the guitar player of Turia plays bass in Lubbert Das.
Als seen Lubbert Das live a couple of times.

Thought you would since they are from The Netherlands, plus every single band always play over there

But it's quite an event to see foreign quality underground BM in this place!
17.01.2017 - 20:47
3rdWorld
China was a neat
This sounds great and good enough to be one of the best of this sort of albums. Japanese powerviolence (or Industrial-ish sludge doom, whatever you wanna call it) from the brilliant Sentient Ruin Laboratories label.

"One of the most vile, antagonist, and visionary powerviolence masterpieces to ever emerge from Japan, Friendship's "I&II" is a compilation of tracks previously self-released by the band as two separate EPs (the "I EP" and the "II EP") now both condensed into a single castigating long player of maximum auditive torture. This release masterfully showcases the full extent of the band's absurd formula: a maelstrom of bleak and punishing powerviolence/grind ferocity in the vein of Column of Heaven and Hatred Surge, colliding with the suffocating weight of the most abject sludge-doom of bands like Godflesh, Swans, and Corrupted, and further enhanced by the iconic and completely mindless approach to extreme metal and punk which has always characterized Japanese bands as being the most absurd and visionary out there. Friendship's stark and austere sound, paired with the crippling and lawless cruelty with which they play, has yielded twelve tracks of absolutely unfathomable violence, that will ​plunge the listener ​into​ an authentic plight for survival​,​ as they desperately try to survive the utterly senseless chaos unleashed upon them by these masters of complete sonic terror.​"

Friendship - I&II

Another death metal demo from the same label.

"Bastard death legions from the bowels of the underworld. Petrification's old school death metal trudge batters the flesh and smashes bone with the cruelty of an orc unleashed from hell. Their debut demo tape "Summon Horrendous Destruction" is a glorious onslaught of mummified and gross as fuck old school death metal for fans of Autopsy, Nihilist, Grave, Cruciamentum, Disma etc."

"SUMMON, complete, HORRENDOUS, fucking DESTRUCTION! Petrification are a brand new death metal band from Portland OR formed by ex-members of Warmster. They play flesh-eating and bone-smashing putrid death metal in the ancient Finnish style. We're releasing their bloodthirsty demo tape "Summon Horrendous Destruction" on March 3"

17.01.2017 - 22:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Very, very weird thing on I, Voidhangar. Some sort of avant-garde metal with moments of black metal. Very variable but I suspect quite good. No idea what the hell is going on in that artwork though...

18.01.2017 - 17:02
DoomGuild
Account deleted
Volur - Disir

Great fucking album. Essentially it's an atmospheric black metal album. No vocals but lots of violin.
https://volur.bandcamp.com/album/disir
18.01.2017 - 19:04
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted

Lol. it sounds like MIDI death metal.

This fantastic album is now fully streamable. Hypnotic black metal with an almost folk quality in its melodies. Still loving the alien warble that permeates in the background.

Turia - Dede Kondre[/center]

Its even better than the debut. The debut was great but I like that theyve have more variety now on this album.
18.01.2017 - 19:34
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 18.01.2017 at 19:04

Its even better than the debut. The debut was great but I like that theyve have more variety now on this album.

Guess who's back.
18.01.2017 - 19:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.01.2017 at 19:04

Variety is the spice of life, as they say

mz will be happy that this is now streamable in full from the Invisible Oranges site. Somewhat psychedelic Icelandic bm for those not familiar with them.

18.01.2017 - 20:03
mz
Great.
I've been waiting for this thing since I heard their single track last year.
Thanks.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
18.01.2017 - 20:05
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New Dark Descent Records release. Woo hoo.

Finnish death metal featuring the guitarist from Krypts. Their sophomore release actually.

Gorephilia - Severed Monolith

Very raw black/death split from Blood Harvest featuring the greek band AIMA (or Aiμα in Greek) and spain's Supremative.

Aima/Supremative - Blood Chalices From The Impure

18.01.2017 - 21:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Was pretty certain this was a 2016 release, and it may well be, but it seems to be popping up with 2017 attached to it, including the Bandcamp page. Great sounding modern black metal with meaty production. Really nice sound, offhand it reminds me of Ondskapt, early Glorior Belli etc. I.e. orthodox black metal that doesn't ape the dissonant thing too much. One of the best things I've heard this year.

18.01.2017 - 22:10
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by 3rdWorld on 29.11.2016 at 07:07

"The lumbering grooves, the transcendent lead work, the emotive vocals, even a newfound swagger, and just the consistently bursting energy across their forlorn stomp...CONDENADOS are reverential of the form, but masters all the same. As such, The Tree of Death is very likely to appeal to fans of classic Candlemass, old Cathedral, the UK's Solstice, compatriots Procession, and even those who worship Bathory's Viking era. And at six songs in a swift 35 minutes, CONDENADOS succinctly make their point and compel repeat spins of The Tree of Death. " Doesn't sound much doom to me but they have really tagged it very properly in bandcamp which defo describes their sound. "Nowbhm", "doom metal" and "heavy metal". The one track is just decent. Let's see how the rest of it turns out to be.

Condenados - The Tree Of Death

This album now streaming in full.

Decent old school death metal from Netherlands. Looks like its on Metal Blade.

AntropomorphiA - Sermon Ov Wrath

Good sounding groovy german brutal death that sounds like Benighted but sans the ott aggression and grind influences.

Phobiatic - Phobiatic

18.01.2017 - 23:08
mz
New netra track here:
http://tometal.com/interview-song-premiere-experimental-black-metal-trip-hop-artist-netra/
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
19.01.2017 - 19:34
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Karlabos on 13.01.2017 at 13:47

Some quite accurate AFoS worship. The vocalist sounds just like the same. (might as well actually be the same, didn't check =p)
Ashenspire - Speak Not of the Laudanum Quandary

Written by Guest on 13.01.2017 at 16:17

Awesome, been waiting for this ever since they released this single from it way back in 2015. This should be great.

Written by 3rdWorld on 15.01.2017 at 06:54

This is good stuff. Defo reminds me of AFoS.

It looks the whole thing is out now :3
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
19.01.2017 - 19:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 19.01.2017 at 19:34

It looks the whole thing is out now :3

\m/