Before Blackwater Park
After Blackwater Park
Who cares, Opeth is overrated!
I don't know, can I vote anyway?

Total votes: 130
13.01.2008 - 13:31
Harmonic
Account deleted
Blackwater Park was a turning point for Opeth. Their collaboration with Steve Wilson (Porcupine Tree) yielded a more polished, refined sound - and carried them from obscurity into the mainstream. Yet with the success of Blackwater Park, Opeth drifted away from the raw, edgy sound that characterized their early work and went so far as to produce a non-metal album (Damnation). So is Opeth heading in the right direction under the influence of Steve Wilson? Or is their old stuff superior, and they're just losing ground now?

My vote goes out to Opeth AFTER Blackwater Park. They're sophisticated, focused and ready to break new musical ground. Their original stuff was nothing more than a warm-up for the brilliant music that is now emerging. Am I wrong? Cast your vote and let me know!
13.01.2008 - 13:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Sorry but Opeth hasnt changed so much man hasnt only lats album wa sdiferent and after one diferent album we cant tell old vs new thats why I vont wote I let music do the talking because I love all albums of band and even leithest
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.01.2008 - 15:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
What that hell????
K7.. Opeth changed a lot with the last album...
and Deliverance is also a big change form what Blackwater Park was before......

The only album that I don't like is the last one.. totally overrated... boring as shit.
I hate the vocals.. the only songs that are good are Ghost of Perdition, The Grand Conjuration and Isolation Years... th others... from bad to average.

Orchid is a bit boring IMO... But it's better than Ghost Reveries.. all the way man.
Soo that's why I can't vote.. I like almost all their albums.... I think that One topic about the best Opeth album would be better.
For me.. is Morningrise, or My Arms Your Hearse.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.01.2008 - 15:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.01.2008 at 15:31

What that hell????

But its only one album, last album it is not like 4 such style albums
Its not like In Flames , Lacrimas Perfendum or Paradise Lost

We will see about it aftre thay realise 2 more albums
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.01.2008 - 16:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Bad English on 13.01.2008 at 15:54

What that hell????

Aaaa well.. That sounds correct xD

That's why I still think that one "Opeth's best album" topic is quite better
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.01.2008 - 19:25
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I understand that they had to develop and progress as a band, which I feel they have by branching out from Blackwater onwards, keeping their music fresh adequately. Their sound has definitely changed (although not drastically) but it still remains enjoyable throughout.

My two favorite albums come before Blackwater Park: Morningrise and Still Life. I also enjoy My Arms, Your Hearse as much as any of the post-BP albums. They just sound at a much different level in those early albums, very majestic at times. It has nothing to do with the cliche'd metalhead belief that old is always better than new, or that they were more "brutal" back in those days (To Bid You Farewell is my favorite Opeth song), it is just a personal preference and certain nostalgia associated with those works.
13.01.2008 - 19:42
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.01.2008 at 16:13

Written by Bad English on 13.01.2008 at 15:54

What that hell????

Aaaa well.. That sounds correct xD

That's why I still think that one "Opeth's best album" topic is quite better

The idea here is if you HAD to choose between Opeth before or after Blackwater Park, which would you choose? And please don't be so quick to put down my poll - it IS an interesting poll because it's NOT an easy decision to make. And as for Opeth's best album, that's clearly Blackwater Park so I don't see why "Opeth's best album" is a better poll - it just tells us something that we already know. :

Listen, if you really like Morningrise and My Arms, Your Hearse then go vote that way! Is it too hard to figure that out?
13.01.2008 - 19:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Quote:
Written by [user id=22888] on 13.01.2008 at 19:42

The idea here is if you HAD to choose between Opeth before or after Blackwater Park, which would you choose? And please don't be so quick to put down my poll - it IS an interesting poll because it's NOT an easy decision to make. And as for Opeth's best album, that's clearly Blackwater Park so I don't see why "Opeth's best album" is a better poll - it just tells us something that we already know. :

Listen, if you really like Morningrise and My Arms, Your Hearse then go vote that way! Is it too hard to figure that out?

Blackwater Park their very best album?
Sorry, but that's only a personal opinion.. And don't see why it must be the best... maybe the most well know... but nothing more.
Cds like Morningrise, Still Life and MAYH kick it's ass easily =p
But Like I said before.. I can't vote, because I like almost all their albums...
And the changes are very few. but interesting... ecept for Ghost Reveries.. I really start to hate that album, so damm overrated IMO.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.01.2008 - 20:08
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Introspekrieg on 13.01.2008 at 19:25

I understand that they had to develop and progress as a band, which I feel they have by branching out from Blackwater onwards, keeping their music fresh adequately. Their sound has definitely changed (although not drastically) but it still remains enjoyable throughout.

My two favorite albums come before Blackwater Park: Morningrise and Still Life. I also enjoy My Arms, Your Hearse as much as any of the post-BP albums. They just sound at a much different level in those early albums, very majestic at times. It has nothing to do with the cliche'd metalhead belief that old is always better than new, or that they were more "brutal" back in those days (To Bid You Farewell is my favorite Opeth song), it is just a personal preference and certain nostalgia associated with those works.

Thanks for your input. I definitely prefer Opeth's newer albums, but I know that a lot of fans (like yourself) prefer the original stuff. (I'm still trying to gain an appreciation for Still Life.) That's why I created this poll - to see how many people shared my sentiment compared to fans of the 90s albums. I'm intrigued by your description of the early albums as "majestic" because I haven't had the same experience - maybe I need to keep listening until I understand?
13.01.2008 - 20:13
Harmonic
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.01.2008 at 19:49

Sorry, but that's only a personal opinion.. And don't see why it must be the best... maybe the most well know... but nothing more.
But Like I said before.. I can't vote, because I like almost all their albums...
And the changes are very few. but interesting... ecept for Ghost Reveries.. I really start to hate that album, so damm overrated IMO.

Irrespective of your personal opinion or mine, we already know that Blackwater Park would win a poll like "Best Opeth album" because it consistently ranks the highest on the MS Top 100 list (out of all Opeth's albums). So a poll like that still tells us nothing new... right?
13.01.2008 - 20:26
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by [user id=22888] on 13.01.2008 at 20:08

I'm intrigued by your description of the early albums as "majestic" because I haven't had the same experience - maybe I need to keep listening until I understand?

Listen to "Nectar" from Morningrise @ 7:20. That is THE sound. The acoustic melodies and mellow lyrics transcending into the fires of painful screams and distortion, then returning to acoustic closure. The only word describes the feeling for me is "majestic." It sounds almost ancient to me...
Does anyone know what scale is used or what folk inspired that segment?
13.01.2008 - 21:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Quote:
Written by [user id=22888] on 13.01.2008 at 20:13

Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.01.2008 at 19:49

Irrespective of your personal opinion or mine, we already know that Blackwater Park would win a poll like "Best Opeth album" because it consistently ranks the highest on the MS Top 100 list (out of all Opeth's albums). So a poll like that still tells us nothing new... right?

Yeah I know that... But that's doesn't mean anything to me xD
Because if all the people vote in a "Opeth's best album" poll... They will vote to the album that they LIKE.
LIKE = BEST...... I don't think so @____________@"
That's the weak point in that type of polls... there are so many people that don't see the difference between the best or the one you like the most.

@Introspekrieg:
Nectar is maybe my favorite Opeth's song... the great solo with Mikael's sorrowful screams... and the quality of the lyrics in that album is exellent... In the entire album... you can't find any single filler. It's impossible. There are not weak points and every instrument is easy to listen.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.01.2008 - 21:29
Damnated
Churchburner
overall i like old Opeth, because of the first two albums, but i also like D&D very much, mostly Damnation.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
14.01.2008 - 02:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Another Opeth thread? how unnecessary.
Ill vote anyways.
Old Opeth, Just because Still Life outdoes anything else theyve ever done.....for me.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.01.2008 - 00:23
selken
Irreligious
I percieve old Opeth with a more melodic sound, and I love melodic extreme, so....
I prefer the old one.
Anyway, Opeth is overrated.
----
16.01.2008 - 23:00
Behemoth
Account deleted
old by far orchid and mornigrise are the best prog albums ever
17.01.2008 - 16:12
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Yes old Opeth but you know, this poll is very limitative.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.01.2008 - 07:35
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 17.01.2008 at 16:12

I meant it to be limitative. There is another poll that asks about your favourite Opeth album, but I figured that's just a variant of the Top 100. I wanted to know whether people prefer the Opeth sound before Steve Wilson got involved versus afterward. I don't really care for Opeth before Blackwater Park, but I love their stuff afterward. I wanted to see how many people share my opinion, and yes I realize it's not the easiest question to answer. (Although I did throw in a couple of other options to liven things up.)
18.01.2008 - 09:30
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
IMO i prefer newer stuff, never really got into their older stuff at all - new stuff is awesome, except for damnation: i used to like it but nowadays not at all...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
18.01.2008 - 09:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by [user id=22888] on 18.01.2008 at 07:35

Written by BloodTears on 17.01.2008 at 16:12

I meant it to be limitative. There is another poll that asks about your favourite Opeth album, but I figured that's just a variant of the Top 100. I wanted to know whether people prefer the Opeth sound before Steve Wilson got involved versus afterward. I don't really care for Opeth before Blackwater Park, but I love their stuff afterward. I wanted to see how many people share my opinion, and yes I realize it's not the easiest question to answer. (Although I did throw in a couple of other options to liven things up.)

Ok I got your point. And yes its a difficult question.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.01.2008 - 15:58
Warman
Erotic Stains
They've always been good. Blackwater Park and Damnation are two of my favourite albums though. So right now I certainly think they became better after Blackwater Park.
----
18.01.2008 - 18:19
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
It has to be before Blackwater Park. I didn't like the first album so much, although there were some great songs/sections. Morningrise is by far thier best album, the acoustic parts are really great, the sound is more organic and natural... and the bass work is just phenomenal, absolutely perfect. That's why I think they'll never top that album, because of the bass lines. Still Life is a close second, The Moor being one of thier best songs. Although I do rate Blackwater Park very highly, I don't like much that they did after that.
18.01.2008 - 19:38
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by [user id=2943] on 18.01.2008 at 18:19

It has to be before Blackwater Park. I didn't like the first album so much, although there were some great songs/sections. Morningrise is by far thier best album, the acoustic parts are really great, the sound is more organic and natural... and the bass work is just phenomenal, absolutely perfect. That's why I think they'll never top that album, because of the bass lines. Still Life is a close second, The Moor being one of thier best songs. Although I do rate Blackwater Park very highly, I don't like much that they did after that.

That's exactly what it is! The phenomenal bass work of Morningrise was the finishing touch that pushed that album forever into my heart. It is impossible to follow up that album, but for a band to continue pushing forward into new territory after such a masterpiece is quite an achievement.
19.01.2008 - 16:02
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
Written by Introspekrieg on 18.01.2008 at 19:38

Written by [user id=2943] on 18.01.2008 at 18:19

That's exactly what it is! The phenomenal bass work of Morningrise was the finishing touch that pushed that album forever into my heart. It is impossible to follow up that album, but for a band to continue pushing forward into new territory after such a masterpiece is quite an achievement.

I'm actually surprised that no one else mentioned the bass work. There's some really wierd stuff going on sometimes, but it's not just wierd for the sake of it.
27.01.2008 - 22:16
Harmonic
Account deleted
Hmmm...

Tried out Morningrise again, seeing as so many of you recommended it. Turns out I never listened to Morningrise straight through, only mixed in together with songs from Orchid and MAYH, so I never realized how good it was. Definitely will be looking to add it to my collection now! (Still don't care for Orchid or MAYH - the sound is too raw, somehow.)
04.02.2008 - 03:55
Bitch Boy
hard decision, I like Damnation and Deliverance (more than Orchid), but the "before Blackwater Park" era has Still Life and My Arms, Your Hearse. My vote goes for "before".
04.02.2008 - 06:14
Richard
Elite
I will say 'old' Opeth. I remember when 'Orchid' came out, it was something a bit different and really classy sounding - and I followed their progress intently for the next few albums, with 'Still Life' being the peak IMO - a great combination of extremity and mature melody.

The strange thing is, the band became really popular with the release of the following album, 'Blackwater Park' - but I thought this was just like a not-quite-as-good (but still good!) version of 'Still Life'. I think it's the amount of press they suddenly received in certain magazines which brought them to people's attention.. I think it was Metal Hammer that featured them in a special about 'Gothic Metal' (!!??)
----
26.02.2008 - 14:32
NOИ
Who cares, Opeth is overrated!
04.03.2008 - 06:05
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
I voted after Blackwater Park because my favorite Opeth albums are Ghost Reveries and Deliverance.
24.03.2008 - 21:53
DevilishSong
Written by [user id=26691] on 16.01.2008 at 23:00

old by far orchid and mornigrise are the best prog albums ever

This is really True.....
it is too hard to find better album than these in Prog metal

especially "The Twilight Is my Robe" , "Nectar" and "Advent" are amazing.