Metal Storm logo
Anybody proficient in mixing tips?

11.04.2010 - 13:34
Throne Dweller
Basically, I've just started getting into recording and I'm finding it really hard to get a solid "chug" that you'd find with most metal. The scratchy, keeping the song strong kind of chug.

The song 'murk'. is my example for now, and basically (I know it's not loud enough for one), it's far too bassy.

I use Pro Tools and have an LTD M-50 electric guitar.

Any help would be great. (or criticism of the song is welcome too)
11.04.2010 - 14:19
Valentin B
Iconoclast
you mean a guitar chug like you would have when palm muting heavy riffs? in that case, do you have a distortion pedal?
12.04.2010 - 09:56
Throne Dweller
Written by Valentin B on 11.04.2010 at 14:19

you mean a guitar chug like you would have when palm muting heavy riffs? in that case, do you have a distortion pedal?

I do, yeah. I've also got Protools which has the majority of filters/effects already on it.

Also I don't think chug is the right word, but for example the rhythm guitar for Esoteric's The Maniacal Vale is pretty damn perfect. I'm just wondering if anybody has any experience in getting to a similar level.
15.04.2010 - 15:10
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
It is a bit hard to tell due to the mix, perhaps experiment with using less effects/filters, some times less is more. You may want a bit more natural state to achieve the deep, metal chugging that you're after, perhaps try doing a bit of a mid scoop on your EQ with the chug channel.
23.04.2010 - 14:31
adean_bllzr
Try with compressors. Once you have the master track compressed, enhance the bass region up to 1,5/2 dB (between 100-250 hz)

Try differents plug-ins, models, different compression levels and compressed regions; it may help you.

Be careful with the reverb. It makes serious losses in basses
----
"Eternity.....a gift I no longer want"
Novembers Doom
24.04.2010 - 05:49
Throne Dweller
Written by adean_bllzr on 23.04.2010 at 14:31

Try with compressors. Once you have the master track compressed, enhance the bass region up to 1,5/2 dB (between 100-250 hz)

Try differents plug-ins, models, different compression levels and compressed regions; it may help you.

Be careful with the reverb. It makes serious losses in basses

I actually worked this out a few days ago; you're completely right. From simply dropping the reverb's input to 30% adds enough body to make it seem like a rhythm guitar.
27.04.2010 - 12:02
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I actually found a good site recently that focuses on recording, http://homerecording.com They have forums that focus on different aspects as well such as, studio set up, mastering, mixing and various instruments. Pretty good site with very knowledgeable people, it can be a lot to take in at once though.