Metal Storm logo
Vektor

25.05.2010 - 21:49
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Vektor represent something fresh in Thrash Metal. The band hails from from Tempe, Arizona. They play a crazy type of thrash, mixing in a bit of black and prog. Lyrical theme is sci-fi. They have released their second album in 2009 entitled Black Future, and it kicks some major ass. What you get is riffs, riffs, riffs, acoustic melodies, ambiance, diversity in solos and totally insane vocals. I have high hopes for them. What do you all think?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
25.05.2010 - 22:06
Got Mayhem?
I've heard nothing but praise for Black Future. Definitely something for me to listen to very soon.
----
25.05.2010 - 22:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Its in my wating list to listen since USA scene is to huge(now im dealing whit letter B ), but I have heard band some time in past and it was good, there time , gonna listen it today
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.05.2010 - 23:18
Galar
Wicked Mung
AMAZING fucking band. Was going to see them live but they canceled, hopefully ill see them someay
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
26.05.2010 - 06:26
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Galar on 25.05.2010 at 23:18

AMAZING fucking band. Was going to see them live but they canceled, hopefully ill see them someay

They are gonna tour in June and July... http://www.myspace.com/vektor
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

31.05.2010 - 21:56
Got Mayhem?
Forgot to mention that I listened to Black Future and it was really, really good. Vektor work incredibly well with each other, especially the guitarists who flow magnificently. Definitely worth checking out.
----
16.08.2010 - 22:30
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I also have really high hopes for this band. i've not heard yet black future (i'll do it as soon as possible) but DEMOLITION is AWESOME! a magnificent album. black future has a better production and i expect it to be a complete masterpiece!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.08.2010 - 22:02
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I don't want to sound negative here, but how many of you listened to "Black Future" more than 2 times? In my (humble) opinion, it takes at least 10 attentive listens to be entitled to a comprehensive opinion about an album. I did listen to it over 10 times...

Black metal? Where? Shrieking vocalist? There were plenty of such vocalists in trash bands before and no one called these bands black/thrash. No other thing in Vektor has anything to do with black.

Amazing riffs? Too many riffs crammed into each song. Too many, because some of them are redundant and sound forced, as if Vektor wanted to impress the listener by how many riffs they can contain in a single song. Admittedly, some of the riffs are very good, but they're diminished by redundancy of others. Example: "Forests of Legend". Parts of the song don't match too well, they don't logically follow each other, seem forcibly joined.

Drumming: the weakest point of the album. Sometimes rhythms are surprisingly simplistic and parochial. Also, the drummer has no good ideas for good fills and his bass drums. He can be fast, but hell, who can't these days.

I realise this sounds like I hate the album. I don't. It's quite enjoyable and I listened to it many times, because I love thrash. But Vektor doesn't live up to the hype you create around them.
18.08.2010 - 11:18
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Daniell on 17.08.2010 at 22:02

I don't want to sound negative here, but how many of you listened to "Black Future" more than 2 times? In my (humble) opinion, it takes at least 10 attentive listens to be entitled to a comprehensive opinion about an album. I did listen to it over 10 times...

Black metal? Where? Shrieking vocalist? There were plenty of such vocalists in trash bands before and no one called these bands black/thrash. No other thing in Vektor has anything to do with black.

Amazing riffs? Too many riffs crammed into each song. Too many, because some of them are redundant and sound forced, as if Vektor wanted to impress the listener by how many riffs they can contain in a single song. Admittedly, some of the riffs are very good, but they're diminished by redundancy of others. Example: "Forests of Legend". Parts of the song don't match too well, they don't logically follow each other, seem forcibly joined.

Drumming: the weakest point of the album. Sometimes rhythms are surprisingly simplistic and parochial. Also, the drummer has no good ideas for good fills and his bass drums. He can be fast, but hell, who can't these days.

I realise this sounds like I hate the album. I don't. It's quite enjoyable and I listened to it many times, because I love thrash. But Vektor doesn't live up to the hype you create around them.

i think that only ktulu (not all the "vektor fans") talked about black metal and i agree that they dont have anythng to do with black.

about the guitars i believe that you may be wrong. what i mean: i've heard only their debut album, "demolition", and it is great. the riffing on this album imo is magnificent, riffs to create a masterpiece are everywhere. i love all songs except the slow moonbase. 2 songs on this album are re-recorded and appear on black future: oblivion and destroying the cosmos. i dont see how a "lover of thrash" wouldnt enjoy these songs so i hope that you like them! imo these 2 song are just amazing, relentless riffing i'd call it and do you know something? this is rare in todays music. i love that vektor came to play music. cause mostly thats what they do... they are not here to create a song with verseX2, chorusX2 or 3 and a bridge. they create... check for example TETRASTRUCTURAL MINDS. they use if i remember well 3 or 4 riffs in the opening of the song. imo this is music man. not just screaming and jaming...

as for the drumms i agree that they are not something special but really imo, with such great guitars i dont give a shit about the decent drums (although i am a drummer).

as for the times i've listened to Demolition: at least 15-20...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
24.08.2010 - 04:56
warrior_of_ice
My friend listens to their stuff non stop. its pretty grimy
30.08.2010 - 08:57
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth

I don't know if you were referring to me about Black Metal, but I do think the guitar tone sometimes is a bit "blackened." As for the vocals, I've never heard anything like David Disanto. And anyways, I am sure not calling them black/thrash, just I am not calling them Prog Thrash.

This is were I just don't get you. "Forests of Legend" is probably my favorite song on the album, but it doesn't matter as I just don't agree with anything said above.

I think the drumming is your basic good quality thrash drumming. I am a fan of complex drumming, not necessarily "fast," but on this album the drumming fits the music really well. Maybe if we had Brann Dailor behind the drum kit, the drums on the album would sound crazier, but so what, the album sounds great anyway. I think you are picking on things for the sake of picking on them. It's not like the guy plays badly, you know.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

30.08.2010 - 09:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Totally agreed with you. An enjoyable album but I don't get the hype created around them. Not onl here but everywhere on the web.
Like you said way too many riffs cramped into each and every song. They suffer from the disease 99% of prog bands suffer. They forget to write good songs because they want to show off too much, thus forgetting the golden rule that simplicity oftens works much better than overindulgence. And the vocals are actually pretty much your typical 80s thrash vocals.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.08.2010 - 09:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Btw I do agree with Ktulu that the guitar tone is quite blackened at times.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.08.2010 - 09:17
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.08.2010 at 09:12

Totally agreed with you. An enjoyable album but I don't get the hype created around them. Not onl here but everywhere on the web.
Like you said way too many riffs cramped into each and every song. They suffer from the disease 99% of prog bands suffer. They forget to write good songs because they want to show off too much, thus forgetting the golden rule that simplicity oftens works much better than overindulgence. And the vocals are actually pretty much your typical 80s thrash vocals.

I don't think they cram too many riffs just for the sake of it, and I think their songs are plenty memorable. There's no more riffs here than Dark Angel
30.08.2010 - 09:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 30.08.2010 at 09:17

I don't think they cram too many riffs just for the sake of it, and I think their songs are plenty memorable. There's no more riffs here than Dark Angel

But there it worked much better than here, here it still leaves a lot to be desired. And as for Dark Angel's many riffs in a song that's why I think Time Does Not Heal is their worst.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.08.2010 - 10:14
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 30.08.2010 at 08:57

I think you are picking on things for the sake of picking on them.

You clearly have a problem accepting that someone doesn't value Vektor as much as you. I don't waste time picking for the sake of picking. I stated my honest opinion. I even stated that I DO LIKE Vector. I'm just more critical and see flaws you don't see. Deal with it...
30.08.2010 - 10:20
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.08.2010 at 09:12

...the vocals are actually pretty much your typical 80s thrash vocals.

Are you serious? Give me some bands.

Written by Daniell on 30.08.2010 at 10:14

Written by K✞ulu on 30.08.2010 at 08:57

I think you are picking on things for the sake of picking on them.

You clearly have a problem accepting that someone doesn't value Vektor as much as you. I don't waste time picking for the sake of picking. I stated my honest opinion. I even stated that I DO LIKE Vector. I'm just more critical and see flaws you don't see. Deal with it...

Ok, I do get your point. I mean in the context of this album being just amazing (for me), talking about "generic" drumming is pointless, as they don't spoil the experience (for me again). By the way, I actually like the drumming (it's not like on the latest Suicidal Angels record).

But sure, if you think that the riffs are crammed together and are not cohesive, sure I can understand why you would see more negative aspects than me, so no grudge man.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

30.08.2010 - 10:46
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 30.08.2010 at 10:20

so no grudge man.

30.08.2010 - 23:08
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I've just posted about this band in another thread. On the topic of Vektor's "unique" vocals - Polish band Turbo, had such vocals in the 80's...

11.09.2010 - 23:31
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Daniell on 30.08.2010 at 23:08

I've just posted about this band in another thread. On the topic of Vektor's "unique" vocals - Polish band Turbo, had such vocals in the 80's...

i dont believe that disantos vocals sound the same as this guys vocals.
on the other side i dont believe that his style of vocals is UNIQUE. kreators, destructions and even turbos vocals have similarities with his vocals. but i also dont believe that he is overwriting anyone. i've not heard yet black future but after completing the listening of demolition, one thing i can say for sure: I JUST CANNOT ACCEPT THAT THERE IS EVEN ONE RIFF IN EVEN ONE SONG THAT ISN'T PUT THERE FOR A REASON. i truly believe that these youngsters are awesome and have a magnificent and promising future. i dont know how better black future is but even from its production these guys have a nice taste of how thrash metal should like. not gaydeth here...
----
12.09.2010 - 08:04
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Deadmeat on 11.09.2010 at 23:31

on the other side i dont believe that his style of vocals is UNIQUE. kreators, destructions and even turbos vocals have similarities with his vocals. but i also dont believe that he is overwriting anyone. i've not heard yet black future but after completing the listening of demolition, one thing i can say for sure: I JUST CANNOT ACCEPT THAT THERE IS EVEN ONE RIFF IN EVEN ONE SONG THAT ISN'T PUT THERE FOR A REASON. i truly believe that these youngsters are awesome and have a magnificent and promising future. i dont know how better black future is but even from its production these guys have a nice taste of how thrash metal should like. not gaydeth here...

Every time I see you write something about Vektor I think, "Has he listened to Black Future yet?" Dude what are you waiting for???

But I agree that his vocals are different from Turbo's vocals. Destruction might be closer but still I would tell David Disanto from any other vocalist any time of the day.

P.S. Listen to BLACK FURURE!!!
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

12.09.2010 - 10:10
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by K✞ulu on 12.09.2010 at 08:04

Written by Deadmeat on 11.09.2010 at 23:31

Every time I see you write something about Vektor I think, "Has he listened to Black Future yet?" Dude what are you waiting for???

But I agree that his vocals are different from Turbo's vocals. Destruction might be closer but still I would tell David Disanto from any other vocalist any time of the day.

P.S. Listen to BLACK FURURE!!!

well it happens that i listen slowly new albums in order to listen to them very very well and have create the right opinion about them. i'll never forget that about 1,5 year ago i was listening to Pierced From Within for 3-4 months (among with other albums oufcourse) and still didnt like it and after the 4 months i started liking it so much that now it is one one my fav albums ever. about black future, it's time will bee in a couple of weeks i think so in... 1-2 months i'll tell my first opinion! hahahahahaha! but i've heard oblivion and destroying the cosmos from it and i like them a lot. i am not sure if i like them more in their 2nd attempt but the bonus of the MAGNIFICENT production will surely be encountered!
----
21.10.2010 - 09:05
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
So some few notes about black future (i've not even completed the 1/3 of it's listenings). many magnificent melodies and solos. many great moments generally. till now i like the most the first 5 songs and accelerating universe. as i keep on listening to the album my opinion goes mostly on the side i was expecting: "EVERY riff, solo and bass line is being put where it should fit the best, where it only has feeling." i disagree with those who said it is just a bunch of riffs.

only disadvantage may be till now the long duration (but maybe i just havent discovered the beauty of the whole album yet!).
----
07.11.2010 - 00:30
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Well, not ready yet but i've listened a lot to the album: MAGNIFICENT. but not perfect. i'll first mention the disadvantages as from this band i only want to progress. the long songs some time cause me to get a bit bored. especially the beginning of dark nebula and the midle of accelerating universe. dna and hunger for violence are very very good, black fur=ture also, forests of legend is epic. accelerating universe near to great also. asteroid and dark nebula i hope that'll catch me more. oblivion is worse that the original version of Demolition but destroying the cosmos is better.

it is almost sure that i'll rate this album with a 10.

also: Disanto's vocals are AMAZING. passionate, powerful and more than all THRASHY! i thank the nonexisting god for discovering this band!

edit: THE SOLO ON HUNGER FOR VIOLENCE IS AMAZING! a 50" solo, including almost all the soloing styles (taping etc). generally this song is the THRASH METAL EPITOME of the album!
----
07.11.2010 - 01:36
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
First of all:

YES!!!

Second: Hunger for Violence Solo is indeed amazing. Definitely the best on the record.

Third: I thank the existing God that you finally got into this album! It's ridiculous how involved I was with the process of you discovering Black Future!

So, high five!
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

07.11.2010 - 01:56
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
>I thank the existing God that you finally got into this album! It's ridiculous how involved I was with the process of you discovering Black Future!
I loled
----
loves 小巫
07.11.2010 - 10:16
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by K✞ulu on 07.11.2010 at 01:36

First of all:

YES!!!

Second: Hunger for Violence Solo is indeed amazing. Definitely the best on the record.

Third: I thank the existing God that you finally got into this album! It's ridiculous how involved I was with the process of you discovering Black Future!

So, high five!

ha ha ha! now i just want to see how much i'll like it in the end. it may happen that in the end i may love even all the flaws i've mentioned in my previous post! generally talking it is a great band, with a great future. the most work on the musical part is being done by Disanto so i really think that this guy is amazing. many of the solos are written by him so generally he is the mind behind the band and this guy has created awesome music.

on the next album i hope that they write most songs between 5-7 minutes but i think that they'll probably write some huge ones. on the other hand i said that i am a bit bored of dark nebula and accelarating universe but i said that forestas of legend is epic. the reason is that FOL is a 10 minutes song with a 2 minutes intro, 6 minutes of the main song (without calming down) and a 2 minutes outro so i dont think that this style of songwriting is boring.

i am also curious to listen to the re-recordings and re-arangements on the songs from Demolition that they'll put on the new album. Fast Paced Society and TETRASTRUCTURAL MINDS are 2 amazing songs and i am sure that these guys can make them sound even better on the new album (the ending of destroying the cosmos is now better and the viruosic ending of fast paced society will also be i think). about Moonbase i wont say something as i think it was the weakest song on Demolition (at least it's first.......7-8 minutes!), i hope they'll do more re-arangements on this song!

finally i want to say what really makes me love this band and never get used of listening to their songs (except the great riffs, melodies, vocals etc). it the fact that they use some little adds on the songs (i dont know how it is called in english) from time to time which make you say "wow" this one is great! examples to be understood: the little taping solo on Black Future exactly after saying the first time "black future" on 1'39"! on destroying the cosmos the lead guitar from 1'10 till 1'20" and many more that someone can discover and get addicted to them!
----
07.11.2010 - 22:38
SlaytanicGonzo
I've only listened to Black Future honestly, but I think it's one of the best thrash albums of the past decade. And you gotta love the vocals, so fucking thrashy and old school.
I'll be sure to check out their first album.
07.11.2010 - 23:24
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by SlaytanicGonzo on 07.11.2010 at 22:38

I've only listened to Black Future honestly, but I think it's one of the best thrash albums of the past decade. And you gotta love the vocals, so fucking thrashy and old school.

the first album is more difficult to get into cause it doesnt have the excellent production of black future. it has magnificent songs though (tetrastructural minds will surely amaze you) and it is just a bit more melody-based. but the music is equally perfect with black future imo.

now a question, not only to you but to many people here: Why Disanto's vocals are old school? Thrashy yes. But why old school. the fact that many vocalists prefer the screaming vocals doesnt mean that "squeaking" vocals are old school right? they are a style of singing i think it can never become old school. just an opinion.
----
07.11.2010 - 23:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Deadmeat on 07.11.2010 at 23:24

Written by SlaytanicGonzo on 07.11.2010 at 22:38

the first album is more difficult to get into cause it doesnt have the excellent production of black future. it has magnificent songs though (tetrastructural minds will surely amaze you) and it is just a bit more melody-based. but the music is equally perfect with black future imo.

now a question, not only to you but to many people here: Why Disanto's vocals are old school? Thrashy yes. But why old school. the fact that many vocalists prefer the screaming vocals doesnt mean that "squeaking" vocals are old school right? they are a style of singing i think it can never become old school. just an opinion.

yeah, I don't know why one would call this type of vocals "old school" either but I also don't follow your argument. Why can't this type singing become old school?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner