Metal Storm logo
Rock Bands Mistaken For Metal Bands

Created by: Dr. Strawberry | 30.08.2014

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Dr. Strawberry ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 55   Visited by: 319 users
04.09.2014 - 17:10
Lit.
Account deleted
04.09.2014 - 23:05
Erik M.
Marcel, eat your heart out.

(^That video response is damn funny. And of course, in this case, totally applicable)
04.09.2014 - 23:58
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Some odd names here. Def Leppard was definitely metal on the debut, subsequent albums started to add some hard rock elements. Twisted Sister on Under The Blade is also metal. Resembles the british NWOBHM scene a lot and is very different from their future releases which are more americanized in sound (the debut was released under a British label if I am not mistaken).

Motley Crue also kinds luled with metal a bit on their first two albums. Their sound was also more gritty on Dr. Feelgood compared the 3rd and 4th record. Ozzy Osbourne is metal... unmistakebly. Even though he claims he plays rock 'n' roll.

Motorhead is hard rock influenced on some albums, but their early outputs (exclude the debut) are the blueprints that gave birth to what metal was back in the 80s and early 90s (together with Judas Priest).

Rainbow as well is a disputed thing. They played AOR and hard rock at some time, but I do think some of their stuff is metal. With the rest I might agree, to a certain extent. Whitesnake and Alice Cooper had their moments too. Dokken as well.
05.09.2014 - 04:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Erik M. on 04.09.2014 at 23:05
Marcel, eat your heart out.

Pretty sure he's in the hospital recovering from a heart attack after reading this list.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.09.2014 - 18:57
Dr. Strawberry
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 04.09.2014 at 23:58

...Def Leppard was definitely metal on the debut,...Twisted Sister on Under The Blade is also metal.
- Thanks for your reminder, I will check these 2 albums out.

Motley Crue also kinds luled with metal a bit on their first two albums.
- Frankly in my personally point of view there is no such thing as Glam Metal. You either call them Glam or Glam Hard Rock, the musical composition is totally hard rock actually.

Ozzy Osbourne is metal... unmistakebly. Even though he claims he plays rock 'n' roll.
- Ozzy claim called his style hard rock but slightly heavier...so I called this style Heavy Hard Rock. Unfortunately my comments were deleted by Metal Storm claiming that I was talking rubbish...interesting.

05.09.2014 - 18:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 05.09.2014 at 18:57

Unfortunately my comments were deleted by Metal Storm claiming that I was talking rubbish...interesting.

No they weren't, they're still there: http://metalstorm.net/forum/search.php?forumsearch=heavy+hard&user_name=God+Buster+%26%2339740%3B&new_board_id=&searchwhere=posts
05.09.2014 - 19:03
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 05.09.2014 at 18:57

...Def Leppard was definitely metal on the debut,...Twisted Sister on Under The Blade is also metal.
- Thanks for your reminder, I will check these 2 albums out.

Motley Crue also kinds luled with metal a bit on their first two albums.
- Frankly in my personally point of view there is no such thing as Glam Metal. You either call them Glam or Glam Hard Rock, the musical composition is totally hard rock actually.

Ozzy Osbourne is metal... unmistakebly. Even though he claims he plays rock 'n' roll.
- Ozzy claim called his style hard rock but slightly heavier...so I called this style Heavy Hard Rock. Unfortunately my comments were deleted by Metal Storm claiming that I was talking rubbish...interesting.

Point is glam refers to a scene more known for imagery, vestimentation and lyrical themes, not so much for the music. Classic hard rock does not sound at all with what Motley were playing on the first album which was definitely punk tinged. Listening to Live Wire does not remind you at all of a hard rock band. Shout at the Devil also had a metallic sound and while Dr. Feelgood has its fair share of ballads, it has some metal moments. The instrumental is gritty and raspy, almost punkish on some songs.

As for Ozzy, I might believe you when it comes to early albums where the hard rock elements are audible, but since Zakk Wylde joined it got more metallica. Even on Scream it is more metallica than rockish. To be honest, Ozzy and the old bands, in a way or another are related to both scene. My point is that the ones that are really metal are Priest or Motorhead influenced, instrumentaly that is. The rest took other influences.
06.09.2014 - 17:01
Erik M.
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.09.2014 at 04:58

Pretty sure he's in the hospital recovering from a heart attack after reading this list.

Hahaha.

But for the record, while I'm hardly fond of most of these bands, I think the list creator is right in quite a few cases.
06.09.2014 - 17:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Erik M. on 06.09.2014 at 17:01
But for the record, while I'm hardly fond of most of these bands, I think the list creator is right in quite a few cases.

Well sure, some stuff like Creed is obvious, although bands like that aren't really ever mistaken for being metal in the first place. Maybe by people who are really sheltered from metal and don't even know that music heavier than Creed exists. But I don't think many of those people exist.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.09.2014 - 19:12
Fearmeister
Account deleted
This list is sad... so sad...

For starters... Motorhead? Really? Ozzy? You want to tell me that THIS is not metal? I headbang to shit all the time!

There is also the entire Glam Metal scene that he put on there. While I know they are the weird cousin that we don't want to associate with, they are still metal, whether we like it or not.

The first 5 are super arguable, mainly because there is no clear definition on whats metal and whats hard rock. The transition is so seemless that its really hard to distinguish between the two. For the sake of argument, I just call them both HR/HM

Def Leppard was metal for their first 2-3 albums but yes, they did go rock eventually. You can still call them a metal band though.

I never saw anyone name ZZ Top, Creed, or Aerosmith heavy metal though I suppose you forgot Nickleback in your list

EDIT: Just realized this is a God Buster list ._.
08.09.2014 - 10:07
Dr. Strawberry
Written by [user id=126528] on 06.09.2014 at 19:12

This list is sad... so sad...

For starters... Motorhead? Really? Ozzy? You want to tell me that THIS is not metal? I headbang to shit all the time!

There is also the entire Glam Metal scene that he put on there. While I know they are the weird cousin that we don't want to associate with, they are still metal, whether we like it or not.

I never saw anyone name ZZ Top, Creed, or Aerosmith heavy metal though I suppose you forgot Nickleback in your list

Don't be sad Rock is not inferior or a degraded genre.
There is no such thing as Glam metal but Motley Crue is my all time favorite, even now. Invincible !
Ozzy's vocal melodies are totally hard rock, sometimes come with heavier guitars in order to please "both sides", they're 100% commercial. You can call them either "Pop Metal" or "Commercial Metal" if you don't like the term "Heavy Hard Rock".
08.09.2014 - 10:15
Dr. Strawberry
Written by deadone on 08.09.2014 at 02:45

It's not a bad list dependent on perspective. In the 1970s and 1980s there was certainly overlap between Metal and Hard Rock as Metal was a new genre. A lot of the bands listed above existed in both worlds. And some were confused as metal - e.g. Aerosmith, Van Halen, AC/DC, Bon Jovi or the phenomenal Guns N Roses. I was still seeing this in the early-mid 1990s mainstream press as well (mags like Kerrang, Metal Hammer, Hit Parader etc) as well as alternative rock ala Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots. Hell even this site labelled QOTSA as a metal band.

For stuff like Twisted Sister or Skid Row's first album I'm happy with both hard rock and heavy metal descriptors but then I'm not anally retentive about my harder music needing a "heavy metal" category.

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 04.09.2014 at 23:58

(Motley Crue) sound was also more gritty on Dr. Feelgood compared the 3rd and 4th record.

I agree with all your points other than this one Dr Feelgood is still a predominantly hard rock album though. In fact songs like the title track and Kickstart My Heart are somewhat deceiving in terms of higher metal content than a lot of the rest of the album which is very much hard rock in terms of musical style.

Yes, we have to see things in a more general perspective, metal is not only decided by if there is heavy guitars or blast beats.
08.09.2014 - 11:20
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Man ! Are you kidding me ? Is Skid Row rock ? Someone stops God Buster making lists ! And who would really think that Deep Purple or King Crimson are metal ? Your definition of genres are slightly different I guess.
----
The Fangirl.
08.09.2014 - 11:31
Dr. Strawberry
Written by angel. on 08.09.2014 at 11:20

Man ! Are you kidding me ? Is Skid Row rock ? Someone stops God Buster making lists ! And who would really think that Deep Purple or King Crimson are metal ? Your definition of genres are slightly different I guess.

Are you kidding me ? Skid Row is metal ?
As I mentioned earlier, there is no Glam Metal, only Glam or Glam Hard Rock (you even can't call it Glam Rock as it refers to 70's T-Rex style).
08.09.2014 - 14:45
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by angel. on 08.09.2014 at 11:20

And who would really think that Deep Purple or King Crimson are metal ?

What? Deep Purple is metal enough to be called metal (of course it depends on which album). King Crimson is less metal than DP but it also has some metal elements (albums like Red, The Power To Believe, etc).
08.09.2014 - 14:50
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Hex_Omega on 08.09.2014 at 14:45

What? Deep Purple is metal enough to be called metal (of course it depends on which album). King Crimson is less metal than DP but it also has some metal elements (albums like Red, The Power To Believe, etc).

Deep Purple is more of hard rock and sometimes metal still I don't really consider them metal that much but King Crimson is metal ?!
----
The Fangirl.
08.09.2014 - 14:58
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by angel. on 08.09.2014 at 14:50

Deep Purple is more of hard rock and sometimes metal still I don't really consider them metal that much but King Crimson is metal ?!

Did I said that King Crimson is metal? It's not but some albums have some metal elements.
08.09.2014 - 16:42
Dr. Strawberry
Written by Hex_Omega on 08.09.2014 at 14:58

Did I said that King Crimson is metal? It's not but some albums have some metal elements.

So...you guys have proven this list served a useful purpose. Any objections ?
08.09.2014 - 19:55
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 08.09.2014 at 10:07

Ozzy's vocal melodies are totally hard rock, sometimes come with heavier guitars in order to please "both sides", they're 100% commercial.

But metal isn't about the vocal melodies. The difference between the metal and hard rock is the guitar technique. You can't say that a band is rock solely because of the vocals.
09.09.2014 - 02:22
Diverge

Evidence?
09.09.2014 - 09:46
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Diverge on 09.09.2014 at 02:22

Evidence?

Sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mJPJLIas8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS2lUoQVKQQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNYOTVKpj3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnkBpc69-7Q
09.09.2014 - 13:10
Dr. Strawberry
Written by Hex_Omega on 09.09.2014 at 09:46

Evidence?

Sure.

Don't mess with Hex ! You simply didn't know who are you dealing with !
09.09.2014 - 13:20
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 09.09.2014 at 13:10

Written by Hex_Omega on 09.09.2014 at 09:46

Evidence?

Sure.

Don't mess with Hex ! You simply didn't know who are you dealing with !

Holy shit. I feel like a boss now
09.09.2014 - 14:14
Diverge
You gave me Red, Larks' Tongue in Aspic Part 2, Level Five (from the awesome Power to Believe album), and Easy Money as evidence that they have metal elements? Easy Money is just evidence of prog rock; Red is literally just a heavy prog rock song, LTIAPt2 can also be classified that way. As for Level Five, it could probably still be put in the "heavy prog" category. There's a clear distinction between the genres "heavy prog" and "prog metal", and one that Progarchives distinguishes very well. A few of the tracks you gave me could easily be classified as "heavy prog", but that certainly doesn't imply there are any metal elements to be seen here.

There's no doubt Red and LTIAP2 influenced alternative metal and that Red-era King Crimson had a large impact of bands that are largely considered metal, including Tool. But I've never heard metal elements to KC.
09.09.2014 - 15:31
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Diverge on 09.09.2014 at 14:14

You gave me Red, Larks' Tongue in Aspic Part 2, Level Five (from the awesome Power to Believe album), and Easy Money as evidence that they have metal elements? Easy Money is just evidence of prog rock; Red is literally just a heavy prog rock song, LTIAPt2 can also be classified that way. As for Level Five, it could probably still be put in the "heavy prog" category. There's a clear distinction between the genres "heavy prog" and "prog metal", and one that Progarchives distinguishes very well. A few of the tracks you gave me could easily be classified as "heavy prog", but that certainly doesn't imply there are any metal elements to be seen here.

There's no doubt Red and LTIAP2 influenced alternative metal and that Red-era King Crimson had a large impact of bands that are largely considered metal, including Tool. But I've never heard metal elements to KC.

I understand your point but I somehow must disagree a bit. Even Fripp himself (if I remember correctly) said that after 'Islands' he found an inspiration in heavier bands like Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath and that's why he made 3 heavier albums (Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black, Red). Even Wiki see some heavy metal here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_%28King_Crimson_album%29
I'm not gonna fight over which KC song has more metal elements because it's pointless. However it is really hard to not see metal elements on Larks' Tongues in Aspic album.
16.09.2014 - 01:07
afu
Semantics aside, the modern amplifiers that help to distinguish a sound were not available to a lot of the older bands. You had Marshall, Hiwatt, Fender, Vox and some smaller companies selling amps that only distorted when you turned them all the way up.

The JCM 800, which began production around the end of the '70s and were massively popular in the '80s, were the first amp to try and satisfy the distortion that was only available with a pedal, and it still needed a pedal or a modification. By the time you get to 1986-1995 with the fire breathing beasts from Soldano, VHT, Mesa Boogie, Bogner, Marhall's JCM 900, and others, things were progressively getting more "metal" as it's grown into.

When I was a kid many moons ago, Quiet Riot had a #1 album and were classified as metal. That kind of sound, and that band, are snubbed by some today, but the sound was a product of it's time. To the slightly older, but still young version of myself, Black Metal was bullshit and Death Metal was Slayer on crack. Both were "heavy" and fast, but Metal didn't have to be either of those things and it didn't have to be that way all the time. AIC became popular by continuing with more classic styles of metal and injecting a different things into it as well. It's like saying something isn't a salad without the fucking croûtons or that my shit isn't the right color so the bowl is full of something else that just passed my asshole. Jesus.
16.09.2014 - 11:51
Dr. Strawberry
Written by afu on 16.09.2014 at 01:07

Semantics aside, the modern amplifiers that help to distinguish a sound were not available to a lot of the older bands. You had Marshall, Hiwatt, Fender, Vox and some smaller companies selling amps that only distorted when you turned them all the way up.

The JCM 800, which began production around the end of the '70s and were massively popular in the '80s, were the first amp to try and satisfy the distortion that was only available with a pedal, and it still needed a pedal or a modification. By the time you get to 1986-1995 with the fire breathing beasts from Soldano, VHT, Mesa Boogie, Bogner, Marhall's JCM 900, and others, things were progressively getting more "metal" as it's grown into.

When I was a kid many moons ago, Quiet Riot had a #1 album and were classified as metal. That kind of sound, and that band, are snubbed by some today, but the sound was a product of it's time. To the slightly older, but still young version of myself, Black Metal was bullshit and Death Metal was Slayer on crack. Both were "heavy" and fast, but Metal didn't have to be either of those things and it didn't have to be that way all the time. AIC became popular by continuing with more classic styles of metal and injecting a different things into it as well. It's like saying something isn't a salad without the fucking croûtons or that my shit isn't the right color so the bowl is full of something else that just passed my asshole. Jesus.

- Good to know that but what is your conclusion ?
- Probably Quiet Riot was considered metal in the past but we just called them AOR by now.
- I was exactly the same like you. A lot of Rock fans consider "Black Metal is bullshit" like you did simply because they didn't know how to analyse the complex musical composition. I was totally disagreed with Black Metal until one day I decided to find out how could those lunatic black metal fans listening to these idiotic music. I kept listening black metal albums for about one to two weeks, eventually I understood everything. Now BM is my favorite, the symphony of darkness.
- Some friends even said to me "They are just blasting their instruments randomly, everybody can play the same way, I don't believe they can play a same track twice". They talked so confidently, I really did't know how to disappoint them...
18.09.2014 - 01:42
afu
Man, you are full of stupid, aren't you? Almost your entire argument is laced with really, really bad assumptions, straw men, and "no true Scotsman", among other fallacies and problems. Go fuck off.

(I had something written, but I erased it. My time is more valuable than some internet chump.)
18.09.2014 - 02:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by afu on 18.09.2014 at 01:42

Man, you are full of stupid, aren't you? Almost your entire argument is laced with really, really bad assumptions, straw men, and "no true Scotsman", among other fallacies and problems. Go fuck off.

(I had something written, but I erased it. My time is more valuable than some internet chump.)

100% agreeed and even more. It is best to totally ignore thios super Über troll. (also when it comes to his other lists)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.09.2014 - 02:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Funniest thing is him calling Quiet Riot AOR when they have nothing to do with AOR at all, Foreigner, Journey, Survivor and the like are AOR but nothing such as Quiet Riot. He might as well have called Twisted Sister AOR. Total none sensical stupidity on God Buster's side that was.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 4630 | This month: 10