Metal Storm logo
Dimabag Effects

21.06.2007 - 01:37
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
Got a question... coulla swore i already asked it, but i couldnt find it anywhere in here... so here it is... in the song "Walk" by pantera... during dimebags solo.. the VERY LAST NOTE he plays in that solo, he hits something that causes his signal to create this howling, demonic, blood curdling scream.... i dont know how to describe it, but i want to know what it was that made that sound... ive searched the net and search engines for info on his rig, and nothing he has, even in combination, is capable of that sound... what is it?

Edited to add: FUCK i cant believe i misspelled dimebag.... fuckin computer at work got the font so small i can barely see it.... well, till its plastered at the top of the post.... eh, fuck it... apologies to dimebag.
21.06.2007 - 02:43
WarriorOfMetal
i can't say i'm particularly familiar with that solo (don't really like or know much pantera after cowboys from hell), but it wouldn't be a Digitech Whammy pedal, would it?
21.06.2007 - 03:27
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
no not a chance... its hard to explain the sound, you have to hear it... it just sounds like a screaming demon is coming out of his amp... weird sound... almost sounds like a mix of a few effects... check out the song.
27.06.2007 - 20:49
graywolf87
Account deleted
I think hes just bends 2 strings at once, ...the guy had the ability of making weird sounds out of the guitar, maybe he uses the wha pedal with some delay there...took me sometime to learn his squealing technique but after many tries I got it maybe he uses it there a little.
27.06.2007 - 21:44
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
doesnt sound like a wah pedal... like i said, sounds like mixed effects... oh well, guess the world will never know lol
28.06.2007 - 06:22
Soliloquy
i hear a chorus.....

i'm prolly wrong though

but if you wanna know that bad, try going onto other fourms....i'm mainly spending time around the harmony central froum. there TONS of guys there that are into dean guitars, and i'm pretty sure some of them will be able to answer your question
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
28.06.2007 - 07:09
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
ill give it a whirl next time ive got a moment.. thanks though... but yeah it does sound like a chorus, along with a delay/reverb, and maybe even an octave... i dont know.. but i doubt he would be able to kick in all those sounds at once.. unless he was running 2 effect loops... ya know?
28.06.2007 - 18:39
Soliloquy
humm....maybe all the pedals were aready on, except one, and then he kicks the first pedal and he gets that.

maybe it could be an amp with effects and then an added extra pedal or so?

like my line 6 amp has 6 effects on it, and i can choose two at a time. so throw in a pedal, and i'll have more effects. you know?
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
11.12.2007 - 13:22
RockeRoy
i think he uses his wibarm he does that a lot!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
11.06.2009 - 12:22
terrorist
I don't think he needed effects,he was the ultimate guitar player and what he did on guitar was unique.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
29.08.2009 - 16:53
Panterica
I think that the last note is a pinch harmonic, he used to do it alot.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
29.08.2009 - 20:46
terrorist
Well if anyone can describe his playing that would mean that he or she knows to play exactly as Dimebag:)He was unique guitarist and his playing was something very high.
As for the note,i am not sure but he was using a lot of pinch harmonics so it could be that.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
12.09.2009 - 00:18
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Panterica on 29.08.2009 at 16:53

Likely that coupled with a good trem set-up and maybe even with a sustainer - with a sustainer (electronic bit installed into the guitar) you can make the notes literally stretch out for forever.
12.09.2009 - 11:57
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Bitter Dawn on 12.09.2009 at 00:18

Likely that coupled with a good trem set-up and maybe even with a sustainer - with a sustainer (electronic bit installed into the guitar) you can make the notes literally stretch out for forever.

yeah, also crank the gain on the distortion(pretty much any high-gain pedal will do) and the volume on the amp for lots and lots of feedback, turn the bass on 10, treble on 6, middle on 3 and tune the guitar to drop C and you've pretty much got the dimebag sound with any guitar that has a humbucker pickup.
12.09.2009 - 12:14
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Valentin B on 12.09.2009 at 11:57

yeah, also crank the gain on the distortion(pretty much any high-gain pedal will do) and the volume on the amp for lots and lots of feedback, turn the bass on 10, treble on 6, middle on 3 and tune the guitar to drop C and you've pretty much got the dimebag sound with any guitar that has a humbucker pickup.

Mid-scoop it then eh? You're definitely right about the gain and cranking the piss out of the amp, for feedback. I was actually playing around with one of my guitars a bit today with this thread in mind, doing a pinch harmonic on the second string along the 20th fret will give the highest pitch, and then furthering that to a higher pitch while pulling up on the trem...at the time I didn't consider cranking the guitar to get some wicked feedback, but that would certainly do the trick.

Dive bombs though, those are pretty cool when it comes to guitar noise. Haven't tried to do it myself, but my lead guitarist was (possibly still is) going through a big floyd-rose phase and started looking up various techniques on guitar wanking - actually, he gave me his older RG with a licensed floyd and dimarzios, not really my thing since I'm a rythem guitarist but it's neat to mess around with.
12.09.2009 - 12:19
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Bitter Dawn on 12.09.2009 at 12:14

Mid-scoop it then eh? You're definitely right about the gain and cranking the piss out of the amp, for feedback. I was actually playing around with one of my guitars a bit today with this thread in mind, doing a pinch harmonic on the second string along the 20th fret will give the highest pitch, and then furthering that to a higher pitch while pulling up on the trem...at the time I didn't consider cranking the guitar to get some wicked feedback, but that would certainly do the trick.

Dive bombs though, those are pretty cool when it comes to guitar noise. Haven't tried to do it myself, but my lead guitarist was (possibly still is) going through a big floyd-rose phase and started looking up various techniques on guitar wanking - actually, he gave me his older RG with a licensed floyd and dimarzios, not really my thing since I'm a rythem guitarist but it's neat to mess around with.

lol i want that guitar the truth is, you can't really do much awesome stuff with a fixed bridge, sure it's great for palm muting and it doesn't give you the headaches a floyd bridge does(at least the licensed ones who get out of tune easily), but aside from an incredible shredding solo or something you can't really leave people slack-jawed, so every time i hear dimebag/steve vai/whoever doing awesome shit with a tremolo i think to myself "fuck this is awesome and not difficult at all" and it really isn't, all you do is hold a note and masturbate that bar.
12.09.2009 - 12:27
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Valentin B on 12.09.2009 at 12:19

Written by Bitter Dawn on 12.09.2009 at 12:14

lol i want that guitar the truth is, you can't really do much awesome stuff with a fixed bridge, sure it's great for palm muting and it doesn't give you the headaches a floyd bridge does(at least the licensed ones who get out of tune easily), but aside from an incredible shredding solo or something you can't really leave people slack-jawed, so every time i hear dimebag/steve vai/whoever doing awesome shit with a tremolo i think to myself "fuck this is awesome and not difficult at all" and it really isn't, all you do is hold a note and masturbate that bar.

True, a lot of it isn't incredibly complicated - beyond my capabilities though. I've been told the licensed floyds are inferior to the original floyds but, surprisingly after some fine tuning my guitarist made the licensed extremely stable. I can recall when he refinished and rewired the RG that it would come out of tune easily and he'd have to do a strict and firm, yet brief pull on the trem to get the strings to fall back into tune, after a while though he figured a way to rig it where you could abuse the strings and bridge to where it would no longer fall out of tune.
I prefer through body personally, I just like the clean look, and it's not a battle to mess with unlike the floyd - then again, I'm into more simple and catchy rythems, so I don't need all the extras that some guitars offer - however, I do think it would be cool to try out a guitar with a sustainer.