Metal Storm logo
Favourite Metal Subgenre

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 17.05.2006 - 23:37
So what's your favourite metal subgenre? Mine is progressive metal; love it's creativity and with lengthy songs it gives the artists enough time to produce a lot of diversity within a track. Most of the time the musicians are highly skilled as well as being able to combine emotion into their music. Additionally, I find that this genre of music can be very experimental at times.

Btw, if your favourite genre is not on the poll it's because I didn't have enough space to put it on. So click other and say what your favourite genre is.

Poll

What is yoir favourite metal subgenre?

Death Metal
Black Metal
Thrash Metal
Power Metal
Other (please specify)
Progressive Metal
Folk/Viking Metal
Heavy Metal
Gothic Metal

Total votes: 535
06.12.2009 - 12:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 06.06.2009 at 12:26

At present, Doom Metal.

and i miss Daru, so thanks for rezzing the thread and making me even more depressed than the Akelei currently playing on my stereo.

Yeah, seriously. What the fuck ever happened to her? She was responsible for me getting into what are now a lot of my favourite bands...

I wish I could change my vote...I think I voted folk metal like 3 years ago...Even though I'm a heavy metal guy for the most part.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.12.2009 - 12:41
Warman
Erotic Stains
Okay, I'm back at Black Metal again. For a while, or a couple of years maybe, I was mostly into prog. But I feel that Black Metal is the genre which does it for me. Especially with all the wonderful sub-genres of the sub-genre. Melodic, symphonic, depressive... ahh, love it. Love you Black!
----
06.12.2009 - 14:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 06.12.2009 at 12:41

Okay, I'm back at Black Metal again. For a while, or a couple of years maybe, I was mostly into prog. But I feel that Black Metal is the genre which does it for me. Especially with all the wonderful sub-genres of the sub-genre. Melodic, symphonic, depressive... ahh, love it. Love you Black!

LOL I hope you didnt change style because your aavatar and something what's connected whit Solna
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.12.2009 - 21:34
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
I can only pic, one
I honestly change tastes and preferences several times within a month sometimes. Sometimes I just find myself getting tired of metal/rock in general. Their definitely seems to be a theme to my tatses however. I find myself preferring more rhythmic stuff more so than overly melodic stuff. Maybe it has to do with that I listen to most of my music while driving (which I do a lot of) but maybe it just helps me get energized. I do have a certain thing for advante-garde though when its done right.
07.12.2009 - 23:27
Nexus
Asshat
My favourite bands come from a variety of genres, however, my favourite genre is and always has been thrash metal, hands down. I'm a sucker for anything with a fast tempo, killer guitars and ripping vox, and usually thrash has all of these. Plus, it always gets me in the mood to fuck shit up and party!
----
If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for everything
07.12.2009 - 23:41
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Bad English on 06.12.2009 at 14:21

LOL I hope you didnt change style because your aavatar and something what's connected whit Solna

Haha yeah, one would think so.
----
08.12.2009 - 00:05
His Eminence
Account deleted
I really like melodic death metal such as Carcass' Heartwork, Arsis, and Insomnium. Also, I really like bands from Finland like Kalmah but I found out that bands such as them are considered extreme power...and I don't quite get it. Could someone please explain that to me?
09.12.2009 - 22:11
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Black metal... I really like folk, too, but the best folk bands are Black/Folk, so I guess Black is the best choice for me. I'm a real metalhead, but I realized I'm not into many subgenres. Black, Folk and Extreme Power are almost the only genres I listen to very often. Death (except melodic and gothenburg), Doom, Thrash and Prog are sooo boring to me, except for a few bands.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
17.12.2009 - 15:20
SerratedSyringe
I voted for other because the majority of bands I like do not simply fall into one genre; they combine genres for a unique sound.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
20.12.2009 - 15:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by SerratedSyringe on 17.12.2009 at 15:20

I voted for other because the majority of bands I like do not simply fall into one genre; they combine genres for a unique sound.

give us examples
----

20.12.2009 - 22:18
SerratedSyringe
-Anaal Nathrakh: black metal/death metal/grindcore
-The Berzerker: grindcore/industrial/death metal/gabba techno
-Graveworm: gothic/black metal
-Iwrestledabearonce: grindcore/funk/atmospheric
-Psyclon Nine: black metal/electro/industrial

I could go on...
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
23.12.2009 - 22:27
batusay
NU metal and ghotic can be really cool depends by the band that sings them.
----
Come inside and be afraid
Of this impressive mess I've made
If you take a look now you will find
PERFECT INSANITY
24.12.2009 - 10:43
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I said Prog Metal, I am a HUGE Fates Warning fan, but at the moment I am REALLY into Post Metal...Rosetta, Cult of Luna, Isis, Callisto, Ganon...just some of the bands I am digging lately!
----
rekt
25.12.2009 - 05:09
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Although for the most part I like all kinds of genres, just if I had to pick one I'd pick traditional heavy metal. As much as my tastes progress and change, I always seem to love good ole' heavy metal. Bands like Judas Priest, Manowar and Sabbath are always enjoyable.
06.01.2010 - 23:55
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Sooryn about my post almost the same as this one i didnt know this was out!!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.01.2010 - 23:55
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I vote metalcore as in Shadows FAll
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.01.2010 - 05:53
Megadethfaun
Power metal i preaty much like all power metal bands other genres are good
09.01.2010 - 06:19
Numbskull
Written by Xim on 25.12.2009 at 05:09

Although for the most part I like all kinds of genres, just if I had to pick one I'd pick traditional heavy metal. As much as my tastes progress and change, I always seem to love good ole' heavy metal. Bands like Judas Priest, Manowar and Sabbath are always enjoyable.

Agreed. I started listening to Sabbath and Priest in the late 70's. Over the decades I've come too really like a lot of different styles of metal. But, I always come back to traditional heavy metal.
09.01.2010 - 11:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Megadethfaun on 09.01.2010 at 05:53

Power metal i preaty much like all power metal bands other genres are good

LOL best think what I herad about power metal yes one band 100 no metter theys ounds same
----

09.01.2010 - 21:04
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Written by Numbskull on 09.01.2010 at 06:19

Agreed. I started listening to Sabbath and Priest in the late 70's. Over the decades I've come too really like a lot of different styles of metal. But, I always come back to traditional heavy metal.

Well, the funny this I was born in 1990 the decade where nu-metal and stuff like that was all at top (metal-wise) which I'll admit some of it I do enjoy since it's some personal nostalgia for me. But when I looked back into the past of heavy metal, I realized the good ole' days for the genre were the very best.
11.01.2010 - 01:16
Numbskull
Written by Xim on 09.01.2010 at 21:04

Written by Numbskull on 09.01.2010 at 06:19

Well, the funny this I was born in 1990 the decade where nu-metal and stuff like that was all at top (metal-wise) which I'll admit some of it I do enjoy since it's some personal nostalgia for me. But when I looked back into the past of heavy metal, I realized the good ole' days for the genre were the very best.

It's always cool to see one of the younger metal fans getting into the old school heavy metal.
12.01.2010 - 10:46
ToMegaTherion
My favorite bands tend to be a mix of Prog and something so i would have to say Prog on this, but in truth I enjoy most metal genres and bands from most metal genres feature in my collection.
13.01.2010 - 14:16
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Its weird, my favorite sub-genres depends on the decade 80's for Thrash, (very)early 90s for Death, and Black through all 90's. In the 2000 from on I just got addicted to Sludge/Post-Hardcore, that simply completly surpass the Black Metal.

But I have favorite bands in almost every genre, being Black metal the genre with a larger number of favorite bands, Ill vote for it. XD
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.01.2010 - 16:53
Roro
Its unfair question, coz i think it depends on the mood
19.01.2010 - 04:55
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by Uirapuru on 13.01.2010 at 14:16

Its weird, my favorite sub-genres depends on the decade 80's for Thrash, (very)early 90s for Death, and Black through all 90's. In the 2000 from on I just got addicted to Sludge/Post-Hardcore, that simply completly surpass the Black Metal.

But I have favorite bands in almost every genre, being Black metal the genre with a larger number of favorite bands, Ill vote for it. XD

Whats the Black Metal from the 90s you like? I wanna get into it.
19.01.2010 - 05:06
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by bloodwrage on 19.01.2010 at 04:55

Whats the Black Metal from the 90s you like? I wanna get into it.

Click here, search for Black Metal bands, risk Dimmu Borgir and Cradle from the list (:P) and listen to all the others discography.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
19.01.2010 - 19:05
MetallicA

same here actually and I also voted black metal. I tend to listen to that the most, seconded by death metal. The only difference for me is that for the new millenium, I'll put folk metal as my favorite

I like all the 'extreme' subgenres, folk (which could be considered extreme I guess), and the traditional heavy metal bands (I grew up listening to them ). Outside of those genres, there aren't too many bands I like. A few power metal bands but that's it.
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
27.01.2010 - 16:48
Panterica
I voted progressive. I like it best for the reasons mentioned by Doc Godin, but I also like Thrash alot, especialy if it has some prog influences...
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
06.03.2010 - 07:36
blackwreath
Black Metal for me, no other style really pulls my soul quite like Black Metal does and I see it as a sort of saviour figure in my life (unlike other genres I don't listen to it around other people usually - it's more of a personal listening experience to me). However I respect and can appreciate all styles of Metal (even Nu Metal, I enjoy Korn's debut album more than any Glam band i've ever heard) particularly more extreme Thrash bands and bands of the more old school Death Metal style.
06.03.2010 - 16:32
Heretic
Melodeath for me but actually i like all of them except black metal , mostly because high pitched screaming vocals .