Metal Storm logo
Multi-tracking programs

17.05.2006 - 20:02
Horlequism
Account deleted
I just wanted to know what kind of multi-track recording programs people use and what ones people think are the best ones out there...I'm currently using Audicity...
17.05.2006 - 20:28
Varoth
Account deleted
I use Cool Edit 2.0 and I would recommend it. It's good and easy to use.
18.05.2006 - 09:10
WarriorOfMetal
i use MOTU Digital Performer

but what i think is a good one (for Windows users) for a relatively low price, is N-Track Studio
18.05.2006 - 11:26
BlindedByFear
Account deleted
A quick ask, what is a multi-track recording program and what do you use it for? may be a dumb question but i can take it.
18.05.2006 - 19:20
Varoth
Account deleted
@BlindedByFear: With multi-track recording programs, you can record on one track, then on another, and then combine them together. For example, if you want to play 2 guitar lines, that both will be played on the same time, you can record first guitar line on one track, second guitar line on another track, and then combine them.
19.05.2006 - 12:05
BlindedByFear
Account deleted
Hm, is Cue-base (dont know ow to spell it) that kind of program?
19.05.2006 - 20:59
Varoth
Account deleted
Maybe you refer to Cubase. I've heard of that program, but as far as I know, it's for drum-programming...
17.06.2006 - 16:04
marinBG
Cubase works great for recording and mixing stuff and is way way ahead of Cool Edit Pro for example... Also it has much more options than Audicity for example connected with midi instrumenst (keyboards, drums if programmed - that's why so was dumb enough to tell you that this program is just for drum programming), beats and so on. Still unlike Cool Edit, Audicity is still a pro tool for me especially when it comes to dealing with wave files. Great for recording vocals for example.

But my personal favourite right now is Sonar (by Cakewalk)... Still Cubase kicks ass...
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
30.06.2006 - 00:03
Jerk
Written by [user id=2084] on 17.05.2006 at 20:02

I just wanted to know what kind of multi-track recording programs people use and what ones people think are the best ones out there...I'm currently using Audicity...

Try Audacity. It's free and you can have as many tracks going at once. There's no limit to how much you can use it. I use it was my band and it's great. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
----
Oct 1 - COB, BDM
Dec 7 - CC, BoO
30.06.2006 - 18:55
Ruines
Account deleted
Fruity Loops is easy to find, easy to use and it works really well to produce professional stuff if you use the good VST/VSTi
06.07.2006 - 02:22
Arvid Ed
Account deleted
Cubase sx (3 pref) is a very good sequencer for pc. It's not a "drum programming tool" or whatever has been said. It is a sequencer with VST support amongst other functions (but yes you can program drums and whatever). The midi engine is very good and so is the editability of if. Though it cons on the audio engine and aswell on the audio edit capabilities which brings us to Pro Tools.
Pro Tools - which you need hardware from Digidesign (they bought M-Audio a while ago so those cards are also supported now) to run but the audio part in this application/system is more than anyone can ask of.
07.07.2006 - 15:00
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Cubase is only good if you have pro recording equipment, samplers and keyboards. Otherwise, a lot of features will be unavailable or emulated by software.
Same story for Pro Tools.

So this leaves us with the more 'amateur' software like ACID Pro, Fruity Loops and Adobe Audition (ex-Cool Edit). Your choice of what to use basically depends on what kind of music you want to make. Fruity Loops is hands down the best possible software for dance-oriented electronica, remixes etc. ACID Pro can also be used for this due to its decent looping support, although I think its more suited to recording band performances etc. Audition doesnt have the same time-keeping and looping capabilities as these programs but it is great for making industrial, noise etc. music since it has a very broad selection of effects and allows for a LOT of sound manipulation.
18.08.2006 - 01:37
Soliloquy
i hate AUDACITY! it may be easy to record stuff on it. and really easy to edit stuff. hell, it even has a freaken 'wah' to it! but here is my problem:

i recorded this 2 layer guitar track that lasts for 7 minutes and 2 seconds. so once that was done, i wanted to convert it to soemthing that can listen to on media player. so i converted it to wva file, but for some fucked up reason, that 7 minute track turned into this gigantic 35 MB file! i cant do shit with something that big. ok, so it palys on media player, but i rather send it around to people so they can hear it and pick up on my mistakes. so then i tried to turn it into an mp3...ahh, the fuck is a LAME? i went on the site, and i couldnt find anything about the program. the only things i could find were what 'lame' stands for, how they got a new logo(and a link to its picture) and some other crazy hippy stuff.

so anyone...can you guys help me...
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
20.08.2006 - 11:00
wrathchild
Staff
Written by Soliloquy on 18.08.2006 at 01:37

so anyone...can you guys help me...

This should help:
http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~raa110/audacity/AudacityHelp.html#LAME
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
21.08.2006 - 00:48
thefadedline
Just download the file 'lame_enc.dll' and put it somewhere and don't delete it, you need that file to save your work.
----
Relax and let the seat take the battery
02.09.2006 - 13:54
marinBG
the esiest thing to do, when you're stuck with a big wav file is just to convert it to .mp3 and there are a bunch of programs avaliable for that...
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
02.09.2006 - 20:25
Soliloquy
yeah..i'm still lost. i downloaded the winzip thing. and then that lame 39.1 or whatever it is. then i opend that song in audacity. hit 'export as mp3' then what?

do i locate that lame 3.91? i aready did that. it wont let me do anything coz i'm missing some mp3 file

i'm computer dumb!

wait...will this work. i mean, if i send my 'audacity' program. or that song over to soemone through msn, and then convert it for me, and send it back?

EDIT: never mind. i did something...dont exactly know what i did. but i did it. a 35 MB wave file is now a 6 mb mp3 file. wooop!
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
14.06.2007 - 15:12
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
Does anyone know any easy drum track creating programs i hate using beatcraft? thanks.
14.06.2007 - 16:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
@im_haunted: guitar pro 5, though it's far too fucking expensive, you can write all sorts of stuff, not just drum beats, but guitar lines, bass, and another 100 instruments
02.10.2008 - 21:32
mauriciors
Account deleted
Written by [user id=24093] on 14.06.2007 at 15:12

Does anyone know any easy drum track creating programs i hate using beatcraft? thanks.

I have never used it but I know Garegeband is pretty good for accompaniments.

Back to the topic, the most professional, not necessarily the best suited for your needs DAWs(Digital Audio Workstation, because they're are not only multi-track recorders) around are Protools, Nuendo and Logic, but they're quite expensive and you will need an audio interface to get decent recordings with any of them.
02.10.2008 - 21:56
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 14.06.2007 at 16:15

@im_haunted: guitar pro 5, though it's far too fucking expensive, you can write all sorts of stuff, not just drum beats, but guitar lines, bass, and another 100 instruments

Guitar Pro 5 is the best inclusive program I have used but the RSE Drums just sound lame, and the 100's of other instruments are almost a decade behind programs like Garageband and Absynth. I use a combination of GP5, Absynth, Acoustica MixCraft, and Audacity to reach my desired results... damn I have got to get a Mac...
08.10.2008 - 02:32
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
a good program for the song writing process, not necessarily recording is TabIt. tabs pretty much any instrument imaginable and then plays it back.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
06.11.2008 - 23:23
HELL-ME
Account deleted
Well i use the Adobe "AUDITION" for the multitrack recording and the pre-mastering staff.. Then i use the cubase for the drums (with the EZ Drummer-DFH vst plug-in) and the mastering staff... Cubase the best sequencer that i've never used.. Lot of mastering plug-ins are available in the 3x edition (for stereo enhancing, surround effects, noise reduction......)
I really think that someone should start a thread about mastering with Cubase here its very important... (I don't have the necessary community points to start a thread damn it !!!)
13.11.2008 - 22:25
Deathamphetamine
Account deleted
Pro Tools is my be-all-end-all. Cubase is much better for MIDI though.