Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden vs Metallica

Original post

Posted by Vanhellis, 04.05.2007 - 02:29
Metallica and Iron Maiden are world wide recognized as 2 of the more important, influential, famous and outstanding bands in the history of Music, more specific Metal, so which of these 2 godlike bands you like the most?
Personally I prefer Iron Maiden because they were the ones that started the whole movement, though Metallica gave it the strenght to amaze the whole world, but you know Maiden is Maiden and they have really become legends.

Poll

Which of these 2 influential almost godlike bands you like most?

Iron Maiden
Metallica

Total votes: 758
30.06.2011 - 21:03
Viesturs
Iron Maiden!!!!
02.08.2011 - 06:43
Berserk
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 18.06.2011 at 20:07

I did not even have to think about this one: Iron Maiden all the way.

Maiden has had a great deal more material than Metallica over the years, and a much larger percentage of that was worth listening to. I rather liked "St. Anger" and "Death Magnetic," but it's clear that for the last 20 years or so Metallica has been jumping all over the place trying to find a decent sound; they have essentially lost what made them special in the beginning. I'm not saying that they suck now, because they don't, but they have in a sense fallen from grace. Iron Maiden did have their own low point in the '90s (didn't every great Metal band suck in the '90s?), but in my opinion their subsequent albums are just as good as, if not better than, their classic releases. "Brave New World" was great, "Dance of Death" was better, and "A Matter of Life and Death" was simply amazing; "Final Frontier" was a tad disappointing, but it still beats the crap out of anything Metallica has done since 1988.

I'm not one of those guys who thinks Metallica sold out. I'm glad they got the fame they deserved (even if it was for the wrong material), I liked "Some Kind of Monster," and I totally agree with Lars on the whole Napster thing. That being said, over the years Metallica have definitely managed to repeatedly tarnish their reputation with the fans, probably beyond repair. Even in their worst days, Iron Maiden have always struck me as being a lot more dedicated to the fans and the music.

Of course, the most simple reason I prefer Iron Maiden is because they can match or best Metallica pound-for-pound in almost every regard. Metallica had Cliff Burton, Iron Maiden has Steve Harris. Metallica has "Master of Puppets," Iron Maiden has "Number of the Beast." As much as I like James Hetfield's voice, he is nowhere near Bruce Dickinson's level of talent. Of course, the whole rest of the Maiden team - Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, Janick Gers, and Nicko McBrain - have mastered their instruments more so than Metallica. Plus, Maiden has Eddie the Head. Right there, that wins the debate.

Wow, very well said!
----
Fear the Old Blood
02.08.2011 - 06:47
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
Written by Berserk on 02.08.2011 at 06:43

Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 18.06.2011 at 20:07

Something I said well

Wow, very well said!

Danke schon.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
02.08.2011 - 09:36
dArK.DaRk
Written by [user id=41780] on 09.09.2010 at 10:47

Written by ViolentPrayers on 09.09.2010 at 07:16

Yep really forgot how stupid metal fans are

Metallica destroys Maiden and any band by a long fucking shot. So what if they've gone mainstream their later stuff are still amazing despite all the conservative elitist douchebag pricks who rip on em for selling out but dont give them breathing room to experiment.
Yall need to be thankful for the black album, it made them big and it mad METAL big, so who should you thank for giving you maiden.

FTR, master of puppets is still the best album of all time.

Iron Maiden is a great Heavy Metal band but Hitherto I haven't heard any Thrash song from them. If we want to compare them in Heavy Metal genre, my vote goes to them but I really like Metallica too. They are a big Thrash Metal band. (Also I love Black album too) but IMO totally Maiden are Better in Heavy Metal.

Totally agreed.
02.08.2011 - 12:52
Jirpo
Maiden easily.
02.08.2011 - 14:38
Zombie94
Two completely different bands in my opinion. The only real similarity I can see is that they've both come as close as a metal band can to cracking the mainstream. But honestly I prefer Metallica's best albums over Iron Maiden's. Master Of Puppets, Ride The Lightning etc. make me wanna jump in a pit and start headbanging just a bit more than anything on Number Of The Beast or Powerslave. But I guess that's just the thrash fan inside me
02.08.2011 - 14:55
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Ride The Lightning is one of the greatest metal albums of all time, no doubt about it. Yet, I have never cared enough about any Iron Maiden album to actually buy it. They bore me out of my skull most of the time with their stupid unpronounceable song lyrics (Svenson of a sevenson!) and unimaginative riffs. By far, the one band loved by all metalheads that I just don't like.
04.08.2011 - 21:03
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Iron Maiden. For Metallica, I find their greatest work (Master of Puppets) extremely dull and tedious. I enjoy Kill 'em All and Ride The Lightning, and a bit of ...And Justice For All, but that's pretty much it. Perpetually dull and dangerously overratted.
Iron Maiden is so much more dynamic and interesting with their lyrics and instrumentals, like on Powerslave and Seventh Son. Plus, Dickinson is a much better singer.
04.08.2011 - 23:56
Metal_4Ever
Iron Maiden is better than Metallica in everything, but still Metallica is closer to my heart than IM and Metallica has my voice
05.08.2011 - 00:27
Mattybu
Written by [user id=105293] on 02.08.2011 at 14:55

Ride The Lightning is one of the greatest metal albums of all time, no doubt about it. Yet, I have never cared enough about any Iron Maiden album to actually buy it. They bore me out of my skull most of the time with their stupid unpronounceable song lyrics (Svenson of a sevenson!) and unimaginative riffs. By far, the one band loved by all metalheads that I just don't like.

I have to disagree about the lyrics, especially Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, was that song really that hard to understand?... I agree with you about Ride the Lightning for sure though, that album is a true classic. So much better than Master of Puppets in my opinion. I already voted and Maiden got my vote easily though. Metallica, to me, put out 2 great albums, a couple good albums, then done. No longer worth existing after that point.
05.08.2011 - 00:37
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Mattybu on 05.08.2011 at 00:27

I have to disagree about the lyrics, especially Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, was that song really that hard to understand?... I agree with you about Ride the Lightning for sure though, that album is a true classic. So much better than Master of Puppets in my opinion. I already voted and Maiden got my vote easily though. Metallica, to me, put out 2 great albums, a couple good albums, then done. No longer worth existing after that point.

It's not that it's difficult to understand, it's that it's uncomfortable for Dickinson to pronounce. He's got a good operatic voice, I'd like to hear him singing more long vowels. Maiden cram so many syllables into each line that Dickinson's voice gets lost between them sometimes or something... It's quite difficult to explain. Overall, I don't particularly like Maiden's melodies and riffs. Almost every metalhead has at least 1 very popular band that he/she doesn't care much about, for me that is Iron Maiden, the no 1 band on Metalstorm. I don't hate them by no means, I just don't enjoy their music. Weird, I know.

Oh, and RTL owns MOP's life. Definitely.
05.08.2011 - 05:35
Mattybu
Written by [user id=105293] on 05.08.2011 at 00:37

Written by Mattybu on 05.08.2011 at 00:27

It's not that it's difficult to understand, it's that it's uncomfortable for Dickinson to pronounce. He's got a good operatic voice, I'd like to hear him singing more long vowels. Maiden cram so many syllables into each line that Dickinson's voice gets lost between them sometimes or something... It's quite difficult to explain. Overall, I don't particularly like Maiden's melodies and riffs. Almost every metalhead has at least 1 very popular band that he/she doesn't care much about, for me that is Iron Maiden, the no 1 band on Metalstorm. I don't hate them by no means, I just don't enjoy their music. Weird, I know.

Oh, and RTL owns MOP's life. Definitely.

Fair enough. Dickinson does have an amazing voice, and probably one of the most distinct in all of metal. And it is awesome when he holds those long vowels, like in the beginning part of Hallowed Be Thy Name (Running Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww!!).

You're right about a lot of people having that one band they can't really get into also. I don't really have one, most of the higher up bands on this website I like, but with the amount of people who pick a side on the Metallica-Megadeth debate, there's bound to be plenty of those people out there.

And, just out of curiousity, I'm not testing you or anything, what's your reasoning for Ride the Lightning being better than Master of Puppets? For me, it's got a really "electric" sound overall (da-dum ch), as opposed to MoP being more of a tough leathery sound that isn't as... Electrifying That, and I think at the point of Ride the Lightning, Hetfield's vocals were their best. Not as rough and undefined as in Kill 'Em All, but still very raw and powerful. Particularly on tracks like the title track and Creeping Death, his vocals were killer. Also, it just had more standout songs for me, songs that really never get old. Some of the most well put together music out there. Damn, all this talking about it just makes me want to listen to it again
05.08.2011 - 10:08
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Mattybu on 05.08.2011 at 05:35

And, just out of curiousity, I'm not testing you or anything, what's your reasoning for Ride the Lightning being better than Master of Puppets? For me, it's got a really "electric" sound overall (da-dum ch), as opposed to MoP being more of a tough leathery sound that isn't as... Electrifying That, and I think at the point of Ride the Lightning, Hetfield's vocals were their best. Not as rough and undefined as in Kill 'Em All, but still very raw and powerful. Particularly on tracks like the title track and Creeping Death, his vocals were killer. Also, it just had more standout songs for me, songs that really never get old. Some of the most well put together music out there. Damn, all this talking about it just makes me want to listen to it again

1. No song on RTL is too long and outstays its welcome. That isn't the case with MOP. Songs like The Thing That Should Not Be are too long for their own good.
2. I like the riffs better on RTL. I am of the opinion that a good slow riff is much harder to pull off with conviction than a good fast riff, the riff that starts around the 3d minute in RTL's title track is my favorite from Metallica. It's not fast nor particularly aggressive, but it's the one riff that I find myself humming every now and again.
3. RTL is more melodic, which is always an advantage in my ears.
4. RTL still has that vibe of "we're not sure whether this will be big, but we're making it what we want it to be." There's a disturbing aura of professionalism around MoP (and even more so on Justice, which I find quite boring) that doesn't appeal to me much.

That's the short list. Might make full reviews of both albums some day.
05.08.2011 - 22:16
I like Iron Maiden a lot more. Metallica only had 3 decent albums, while I like all of Iron Maiden's stuff.
06.08.2011 - 03:12
Mattybu
Written by [user id=105293] on 05.08.2011 at 10:08

Written by Mattybu on 05.08.2011 at 05:35

1. No song on RTL is too long and outstays its welcome. That isn't the case with MOP. Songs like The Thing That Should Not Be are too long for their own good.
2. I like the riffs better on RTL. I am of the opinion that a good slow riff is much harder to pull off with conviction than a good fast riff, the riff that starts around the 3d minute in RTL's title track is my favorite from Metallica. It's not fast nor particularly aggressive, but it's the one riff that I find myself humming every now and again.
3. RTL is more melodic, which is always an advantage in my ears.
4. RTL still has that vibe of "we're not sure whether this will be big, but we're making it what we want it to be." There's a disturbing aura of professionalism around MoP (and even more so on Justice, which I find quite boring) that doesn't appeal to me much.

That's the short list. Might make full reviews of both albums some day.

True. The Thing That Should Not Be was one of the most boring songs on MoP, a shame because it was one of the only ones with a really interesting sort of theme. When you think about it, songs on MoP are about like, War, Violence/Agression, Religious manipulation or something... Like the most common thrash themes around. Ride the Lightning was better that way, songs about getting the chair and Creeping Death and the Call of Ktulu are all really interesting.

And man that riff you're talking about from the title track, if I'm thinking of the same one, then YES. YES.

JUST CHECKED YES IT IS. YES.
11.08.2011 - 20:20
Steelreaper
I love the first 4 Metallica albums. But I voted for Iron Maiden because they have had way more great albums.

The Thing That Should Not Be boring? No way I love that song. The only song that even bothers me a little on that album is Sanitarium because it has been overplayed and overdone. What Fred Durst did to that song should earn him a death sentence. I would vote MOP all the way as Met's best followed by And Justice and then Ride The Lightning. People love to bash Justice. I just do not know why. Yeah the production is weird but the songs are great. Harvester Of Sorrow, Frayed Ends of Sanity, One, Blackened.....
----
"I see the world's bones, I see the world dead" Max Cavalera
14.08.2011 - 12:22
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Honestly I can't compare them musically. I can only vote based on my own feelings and senses when I hear them and feel their music, for it will be a subject of Horror Comedy if I were to compare their musical techniques LOL.Anyway...Metallica
22.09.2011 - 20:41
Arona
Love Maiden but the answer is Metallica and it isn't close .
----
Never forget a defeat, use it !
06.11.2011 - 14:20
Krokberg
Iron Maiden all the way, sorry, but during the late years Metallica has totally lost my respect.
Reasons why Maiden is better (this is going to take time):

They got way more great albums than Metallica, even after SSoaSS, Fear of the Dark, the X Factor, Brave New World, Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death and The Final Frontier (which is one of my top three favorite Maiden albums) are all amazing albums!

They got Bruce Dickinson, his voice is amazing, he got a huge range and he is a beast live! Also he is a great songwriter (Revelations, Coming Home)

They got Steve Harris. Ok, Metallica had Cliff, and Cliff was amazing, but sadly he died. Harris remained to keep Maiden strong. Also Harris is one hell of a songwriter!

Dave, Adrian, Janick, great guitar trio! Not to forget that Dave and Adrian are some of the best guitarists around.

And they got Nicko McBrain, oh-oh-oh, don't even compare him to Lars. Nicko is probably the funniest musician I know about, also he is one hell of a drummer, and he is always smiling with his mouth open when playing the drums, you can't but smile back!

Not to forget that they all are really down to earth, well, Bruce may be a bit of a jerk sometimes, but you got to agree that he's right in most cases.

They got Eddie, never forget Eddie! He has been on every studio album cover and almost every other Maiden cover too.

Maiden never went really mainstream, they might be one of the most popular metal bands around for over 30 years, but they still remain musicians and not celebrities.

They respect their fans. I can swear that when Iron Maiden played Wildest Dreams live before the release of Dance of Death, Bruce said something like this: "Just film this, 'cause we ain't like those other bands." Now think about Metallica ...

IMO Iron Maiden hasn't got a single really bad song, I even like the Angel and the Gambler, it just seems kinda catchy.

Iron Maiden influenced Metallica and so many other bands that you should rather ask: What bands did Iron Maiden not influence?

Iron Maiden has managed to keep their sound through the years, though many of their albums sound different from the normal Maiden (Somewhere in Time, No Prayer For the Dying, The X Factor, Virtual XI, AMoLaD and The Final Frontier for example), but they still manage to keep that Maiden sound and in most cases they don't disappoint their fans!

Did I say that Maiden is a beast live? They don't have that much special effects (ok, some pyromatics during Somewhere Back in Time tour and Eddie on stage), it's the band playing songs, and that is easily awesome enough, because they all are awesome on stage!

Since I am Norwegian, Bruce earned my respect once again for bashing that (insert a thousand swearwords) mass murderer Anders Breivik, and showing huge respect to their fans.

IMO Bruce, Blaze and Paul are all amazing vocalists, now Paul and Blaze are not close to Bruce, but then again Bruce is one of the best metal vocalists ever.

Ok, this post is getting long. UP THE IRONS!
17.11.2011 - 12:33
ToMegaTherion
I think this is one question that is a little difficult to answer because they have such different style. On taste alone I would have to say Iron Maiden, but Metallica have certainly had their moments.
17.11.2011 - 21:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Regardless of stylistic difference, Maiden didn't release Load/ReLoad/St. Anger and weren't involved with Lou Reed. They win by default.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.11.2011 - 20:05
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Personally i dont see how these two bands can even be battling against each other, they're totally different types of metal, and Iron Maiden did not start heavy metal, and Metallica did not start thrash either. But i voted Metallica just because i like thrash metal most. (even though Metallica isnt thrash anymore)
21.11.2011 - 20:23
Metal_4Ever
If it comes to: Best Metallica Albums vs Best Iron Maiden Albums... Metallica no doubt..!!
I mean Metallica since 1991 is getting shitter.. day by day they have released LuLu but Iron Maiden they haven't released any shit album as shit asLuLu, St. Anger.
What I mean is that Iron Maiden is better in 90s and 00s but in 80s Metallica for sure.. Metallica was the legends of 80s..
23.11.2011 - 15:04
Whit Maiden i started, whit Maiden i will finish ...when i die !
----
[url]www.thatmetalradio.com[/url]
24.11.2011 - 04:08
Berserk
Written by Metal_4Ever on 21.11.2011 at 20:23

If it comes to: Best Metallica Albums vs Best Iron Maiden Albums... Metallica no doubt..!!
I mean Metallica since 1991 is getting shitter.. day by day they have released LuLu but Iron Maiden they haven't released any shit album as shit asLuLu, St. Anger.
What I mean is that Iron Maiden is better in 90s and 00s but in 80s Metallica for sure.. Metallica was the legends of 80s..

I disagree, I think 80's Maiden beats 80's Metallica in almost every aspect (that can be compared >> songwriting, performance, etc..).

Number of the beast, Powerslave, Somewhere in time, Seventh son, etc... vs Ride the lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And justice for all, etc. Maiden one-UP's them in the 80's for sure.

Then you have the worst of maiden and the worst of metallica...

And we already know the problem there^^^
----
Fear the Old Blood
24.11.2011 - 13:58
Metal_4Ever
Written by Berserk on 24.11.2011 at 04:08

Written by Metal_4Ever on 21.11.2011 at 20:23

I disagree, I think 80's Maiden beats 80's Metallica in almost every aspect (that can be compared >> songwriting, performance, etc..).

Number of the beast, Powerslave, Somewhere in time, Seventh son, etc... vs Ride the lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And justice for all, etc. Maiden one-UP's them in the 80's for sure.

Then you have the worst of maiden and the worst of metallica...

And we already know the problem there^^^

I don't know.. everyone has his opinion.. I think that Metallica is the kings of 80s you think vice versa.. Master Of Puppets is one of the greatest albums ever, after RiP for sure..
24.11.2011 - 16:18
Oaken
Hipster
Both bands have their highs and lows, but Maiden's highs are higher than Metallica's, and Metallica's lows are (much) lower than Maiden's. Maiden also used to be my favorite metal band of all time.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
27.11.2011 - 20:24
arwestromen
Like some member on metalstorm have posted before:
There is Iron Maiden and then it is everyone else.....and that my friends (and foes) is a true story
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
29.11.2011 - 09:26
It has got to be iron maiden because early they were good and late they are still good. Brave new world is the best though (IM song)
----
LA LA LA LA
29.11.2011 - 19:27
mrgod
Iron Maiden is much better. I think the worst Maiden albums better than all Metallica albums.