Metal Storm logo
What philosophy do you base your life on?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.06.2006 - 15:26
As the topic indicates... What is the philosophy, quote, saying etc... that you base you life mostly on and use basicly every day in your life with yourself and your surroundings?
I mainly follow the quote : "To be or not to be? That is not the question! To BE! But to be what?" it kind of makes me think about every choice i make in my life and every path i choose to take with myself and my surrounding.
20.06.2006 - 06:00
Proud Autumn
Account deleted
Since it has seemed that in order to post in this thread, one must be able to drop more names than a phonebook with bad binding, I have avoided it up until now. I have no one philosophy that I adhere to, no single theory that has really struck me as true to life. Indeed I have, in the past, followed the Wiccan Rede, "An it harm none, do as ye will." Which is generally good advice in any situation. But my understanding of human nature and the workings of the universe has expanded since then. Life no longer consists of three-fold punishments or rewards. It's far too complex for that business. My opinions on the higher workings of ourselves, our societies, our universe, has expanded to include a plethora of information and ideas that I would have difficulty communicating to anyone. But I adhere to it all as best I can, at this point in my existence.
20.06.2006 - 06:36
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by [user id=2031] on 20.06.2006 at 06:00

Since it has seemed that in order to post in this thread, one must be able to drop more names than a phonebook with bad binding, I have avoided it up until now. I have no one philosophy that I adhere to, no single theory that has really struck me as true to life. Indeed I have, in the past, followed the Wiccan Rede, "An it harm none, do as ye will." Which is generally good advice in any situation. But my understanding of human nature and the workings of the universe has expanded since then. Life no longer consists of three-fold punishments or rewards. It's far too complex for that business. My opinions on the higher workings of ourselves, our societies, our universe, has expanded to include a plethora of information and ideas that I would have difficulty communicating to anyone. But I adhere to it all as best I can, at this point in my existence.

Sounds interesting, would you like to elaborate on it with us? Doing so is difficult for anyone, since your life is ever changing.
----
The force will be with you, always.
20.06.2006 - 07:52
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
@uku, yes, I also cringe whenever I hear someone talking about "true love", or love as something pure and holy as opposed to other human emotions. So I see what you mean. And the same thing with life, as there being "life", and Life, and then there's n0life, like what we here have
20.06.2006 - 14:46
Daibh
Account deleted

And you have adhered to this most perfect of paths well, my lady. Not many can be said to have done that; but you move through life with upmost influence, harming nothing -but changing all.

20.06.2006 - 15:52
CrematorY
Account deleted
@ Kariasakis7 : Well man you got to accept that fact... You may be able to live, but you wont be able to have fun and enjoy the real beauty of life without some extra amounts of money, and you cant get them except by work.
@ uku: well it depends what you mean by love... There are many types of love you know... Agape, Eros, phlios... well i dont feel uncomfortable when using it, but im against saying it without defining what type of love you mean and talk about.
20.06.2006 - 21:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=5381] on 20.06.2006 at 15:52

@ Kariasakis7 : Well man you got to accept that fact... You may be able to live, but you wont be able to have fun and enjoy the real beauty of life without some extra amounts of money, and you cant get them except by work.

Well in ild impirre days works slaves and other enjoy it, i know I can be slave, but who knows.... it was beck in history
but i cnt anjoy life if I must work, not here, I bgetter day how start working ewer, now I get lil' money whit out working, its so bad nd poor so I get food and alcohol are for free for me,
if I must go ewery day to work, no wasy better kill me now how I must life
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.06.2006 - 22:39
Proud Autumn
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 20.06.2006 at 06:36

Sounds interesting, would you like to elaborate on it with us? Doing so is difficult for anyone, since your life is ever changing.

Well I spent some time trying to think of some way to explain this without explaining my spiritual nature, but, I've come to the conclusion that they are one and the same. How very unscientific of me. My philosophy is my spirituality. I look at my life and realize that I planned, before I was born, all of the choices and events I would face, therefore, there is no reason to be disappointed or frustrated with the things that have happened. Everyone has done the same, as a part of an intricate agreement to fulfill every lesson that we must learn here on this plane. I cannot be fed up with the human race, or see us as useless, meaningless or anything of that ilk. Life on Earth isn't always easy, but who ever learned anything when the going was easy?

In this school of thought, while we may each have the power of God, we are all part of the greater whole of the universe, and we can never escape it. As a person, I try to recognize everyone for the God within them. I think of all of our ideals as goals that we should strive to reach. I suppose at the end of the day, you can believe that humans are rotten shites that deserve no respect whatsoever, or you can trust that humans are basically decent and trying to do the right thing. Your choice in this matter dictates how you live your own life.
20.06.2006 - 23:10
CrematorY
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2031] on 20.06.2006 at 22:39

Well I spent some time trying to think of some way to explain this without explaining my spiritual nature, but, I've come to the conclusion that they are one and the same. How very unscientific of me. My philosophy is my spirituality. I look at my life and realize that I planned, before I was born, all of the choices and events I would face, therefore, there is no reason to be disappointed or frustrated with the things that have happened. Everyone has done the same, as a part of an intricate agreement to fulfill every lesson that we must learn here on this plane. I cannot be fed up with the human race, or see us as useless, meaningless or anything of that ilk. Life on Earth isn't always easy, but who ever learned anything when the going was easy?

In this school of thought, while we may each have the power of God, we are all part of the greater whole of the universe, and we can never escape it. As a person, I try to recognize everyone for the God within them. I think of all of our ideals as goals that we should strive to reach. I suppose at the end of the day, you can believe that humans are rotten shites that deserve no respect whatsoever, or you can trust that humans are basically decent and trying to do the right thing. Your choice in this matter dictates how you live your own life.

Proud Autumn I would like to tell you thats very profound, non-materialistic, and touching! Very nice, very well written, and undeniably convincable! But there is something i contradict you with, and that is:

you can trust that humans are basically decent and trying to do the right thing

Well i dont think you can generalize at all... Not all are this way, some are overcome by the evil nature residing in them, and are neither decent, nor trying to do the right thing, because if they were so, we wouldn't have reached this state of living where society has been overcome by moral decadence, and ethical deterioration! *but again i tell you, very nice!*
21.06.2006 - 18:48
Proud Autumn
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5381] on 20.06.2006 at 23:10

Proud Autumn I would like to tell you thats very profound, non-materialistic, and touching! Very nice, very well written, and undeniably convincable! But there is something i contradict you with, and that is:

you can trust that humans are basically decent and trying to do the right thing

Well i dont think you can generalize at all... Not all are this way, some are overcome by the evil nature residing in them, and are neither decent, nor trying to do the right thing, because if they were so, we wouldn't have reached this state of living where society has been overcome by moral decadence, and ethical deterioration! *but again i tell you, very nice!*

Thank you for the appreciation. And, about the last bit, deciding whether or not it's "true" is like choosing a political party. No one's wrong, they just have differing views.
21.06.2006 - 18:51
CrematorY
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2031] on 21.06.2006 at 18:48

Thank you for the appreciation. And, about the last bit, deciding whether or not it's "true" is like choosing a political party. No one's wrong, they just have differing views.

Well you are right no one is wrong but can you please elaborate why you think so? I just cannot undestand why you trust humanity this much i mean they havent done anything right since i dont know when...
21.06.2006 - 18:56
Proud Autumn
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5381] on 21.06.2006 at 18:51

Written by [user id=2031] on 21.06.2006 at 18:48

Well you are right no one is wrong but can you please elaborate why you think so? I just cannot undestand why you trust humanity this much i mean they havent done anything right since i dont know when...

Well, nobody is perfect. Yet. I think we're working towards it. And I'm just an optimist.
21.06.2006 - 19:01
CrematorY
Account deleted
hehehe you surely are.... i really like to be optimistic about mainly all topics but this one require an absolute optimist hehe well i just cant immagine humans doing something right coz i havent seen anything done right by humans from the dawn of creation
22.06.2006 - 01:42
Dam3k
mmmmm

1st-Music
2nd-Girlfriend & Friends
3rd-Sleep
4th-Computers
5th-Sport
6th-Studies

no more...
----

22.06.2006 - 03:21
Sulfur91
Account deleted
Let's seeeeee... ''Treat others like you want to be treated''
22.06.2006 - 03:55
vallhalen
Account deleted
my philosophy is "hakuna matata" (remember the lion king?). it means living quiet and without worries: it makes your life easier (at least worked on me)
22.06.2006 - 04:27
Sulfur91
Account deleted
That seems kind of hard.
22.06.2006 - 09:00
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
@CrematorY, nothing at all done right? How about all the wondrous things that human cultures have produced: literature, music, the fine arts, architecture, the natural sciences, medicine... All this is bad and wrong?
22.06.2006 - 10:13
Daibh
Account deleted

I try to recognize everyone for the God within them.

This is a nice way to put it, my dear. Very cunning indeed.
22.06.2006 - 10:30
CrematorY
Account deleted
Written by [user id=1987] on 22.06.2006 at 09:00

@CrematorY, nothing at all done right? How about all the wondrous things that human cultures have produced: literature, music, the fine arts, architecture, the natural sciences, medicine... All this is bad and wrong?

Well that is a sort of exageration i know how much we have right but well we are gradually turning all that we did right to wrong... TNT was first used to demolish mountain rubble, now its being used to assasinate one another, and so on... I think that all the good we did is nothing compared to all the wrong we did... WWI and WWII are enough to show how much of shit we are... you may say now we are peace again (without taking into consideration the wars out there causing the death of thousands) ok we are in peace now, but who said we will be for long?
01.07.2006 - 05:38
Alastor Scourge
Account deleted
For what i have read and tried to understood, (i still think that there's always more to say about anything, specially philosophy) Nietzsche, Kant, even H.P. Lovecraft, Isaac Asimov, Anton LaVey and christianity, etc...
I have some point from where i support how i act...
1. Treat other as they treat you
2. Do what is needed to do (life is full of problems and all have to be solved)

Also is quite nihilstic my views about all matters that concern humans (life, death, love, politcs, sex, religion) nothing has an inherit value inself, one gives the value to those.
01.07.2006 - 09:49
rat eat boy
Account deleted
My main philosophy is: "Nothing is more important in life, than living". This is my meaning of life. To live!
This might seem as naive and way too optimistic, but let me explain: We do not live in a good world, and we ain't happy. We won't maybe never be happy, and we will absolutely not ever achieve perfection. We crave a cure for a sickness that doesn't exist. People seem to think, that happiness is something that we can only achieve. I believe it's the exact opposite of that. I believe that true happiness is something, that is already there, but we don't just realize it. It's the little things that matter. Happiness is the little things that you enjoy doing. If you enjoy playing guitar, do just that. I believe that we should start searching for happiness on the inside, instead of on the outside. Just enjoy living.
01.07.2006 - 10:43
CrematorY
Account deleted
Written by [user id=3394] on 01.07.2006 at 05:38

Also is quite nihilstic my views about all matters that concern humans (life, death, love, politcs, sex, religion) nothing has an inherit value inself, one gives the value to those.

hmmmmm why do you believe in existensionism... well i've never talked to a nihilst before... i'd really like to take your point of view!
01.07.2006 - 11:01
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
The philosophies I live by are:

Fuck it.
Eat, drink and be merry; for tomorrow, we die.
Don't worry about shit beyond your control.

Three simple things that help me get through the grind.
----
01.07.2006 - 15:52
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I follow a couple of philosophies.... The main one is by Conficius, I can't remember the exact quote but it's something in the meaning of ''it's not important how many times you fall in your life, but how many times you get up.'' That is why every time I do some shit in my life, I take a day or two to get it over, nothing more.

The second one was to let go your past, I learned that by my high school fizzix teacher, who explained to us, that people tend to think about out past 60% of our time, 30% about the future and merely 10% about here and now. Tomorrow is uncertain and what happened, happened, no regrets there cause I can't change the past.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
01.07.2006 - 19:46
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Indeed PhoeNNix, anyone remember the Dawn Crosby quote? (Besides Ozman of course.) "Yesterday is dead and gone and tomorrow's out of sight." Indeed another profound quote came from The Dude; "Fuck it." Ha. Why is it when everyone discussing life and philosophy is gets all sappy and profound? Oh well.
----
The force will be with you, always.
02.07.2006 - 02:22
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
Because that's what philosophy tends to be. Sappy and profound.
----
03.07.2006 - 09:32
CrematorY
Account deleted
@Wynter: same as women wine and song... hehehe the epicure's point of view nice... but well comeon there are stuff more profound than these... dont you believe os?
@PhoeNNix: well the best thing about the humand mind is that it can forget... but well sometimes it is best for you to not forget the shit you passed through easily... sometimes you just can't control it. About what your physics teacher said, well that is the best way humans should think...
We must think mostly of our past not to regret our mistakes, but to learn from them... we must think 3x about our future more than our present, because without having a future goal, a future prospect, and a future view about ourselves and our enviroment, we will never have goals, and thus we will never have any profound meanings to our lives which will lead us not to have a meaning to our present.
03.07.2006 - 12:22
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
Dwelling on the profound would just be a waste of my time, man. Those three things get me through, and that's good enough for me.
----
04.07.2006 - 08:04
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Well that's rather simple actually, 'Don't look back', 'Everything happens for a reason' and 'Life is individually experienced'
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
04.07.2006 - 08:26
tulkas
el parcero
Could be "shit happens" which explains why things don´t go as you would want them to. And although it´s a little selfish "if it´s not about you, stay out of it". I mean, let people live their lives however they want, if it´s not really your problem why should you care.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top