Metal Storm logo
Best Gothenburg Album

Original post

Posted by ms68, 29.03.2009 - 18:09
These albums have been seIected from Top 100 Gothenburg metal albums of this website. Please only seIect your favorite album from options and write a short review about your favorite album and say why you think that is the best. I know there are bands like Kalmah, Amorphis and... But I wanted to choose albums without other influences. Don't ask why albums like Fiction, Whoracle and ... aren’t here. I only had 9 options and these albums have been seIected by their popularity and my taste.
I know there is another similar forum here but albums in this poll are different.

Poll

Select your favorite melodeath album.

In Flames - The Jester Race
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
Dark Tranquillity - Character
In Flames - Colony
Arch Enemy - Wages Of Sin
Insomnium - Since The Day It All Came Do

Total votes: 140
26.07.2009 - 06:46
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
I wouldn't really consider Amon Amarth gothernburg, I always think of them as Death Metal, or Viking.
31.07.2009 - 18:11
Farid Masud
I heard the third song daughter of the moon and by far this band has kept its promise to make melodic death metal and truly this is what melodic death should sound like. I hope by saying that I did not offend anyone else who has other bands in their metal heads as a good melodic death band.
----
Someone once said"If eye for an eye were to be put into practice, then the whole world will be blind..."
04.08.2009 - 14:35
ms68
Written by bloodwrage on 26.07.2009 at 06:46

I wouldn't really consider Amon Amarth gothernburg, I always think of them as Death Metal, or Viking.

maybe because they don't use keyboard you think this way but actually they are one of the most melodic death metal bands. and you see till now this is the first
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
04.08.2009 - 23:32
Crimson
Slaughter Of The Soul. dont know about that With Oden On Our Side.
08.08.2009 - 14:08
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Really tough choice, all of them are my favorites but still i would go for The Jester Race(cause i still get that swedish feeling everytime i listen to it)
08.08.2009 - 15:50
BuzzPhil
I think my favourite is "Slaughter of the Soul" by "At The Gates"... It was a tough choice... But I really love that album.
08.08.2009 - 18:08
Njord
njord
My favourite is Damage Done but I think The Jester Race has done much more for the gothemburg scene, so my vote goes to in flames
09.08.2009 - 15:06
I chose With Oden on Our Side, but only because Fiction wasn't there - I started to listen to mdm because of that album.
09.08.2009 - 21:22
Satyr
I can not decide between Slaughter Of The Soul and The Gallery. but this time I vote for At The Gates.
31.08.2009 - 14:11
AbdelioR
Really hard choice...
----
97. Keep your Gore level down for your friends, you're still a social being.
11.09.2009 - 01:08
quirin
The Gallery buries them all. Easy and deep.
12.09.2009 - 00:53
Solstafir!
Hard, Hard, HARD decision...
chose Damage Done coz it's my favourite album from my favorite band...
14.11.2009 - 18:50
SatyriconChick
I have several of the albums on this list, but I voted for Dark Tranquillity's Character. That album is amazing!
21.11.2009 - 02:55
bcapo3
WHORACLE! But since is not there i'll pick Jester Race...
25.11.2009 - 18:31
His Eminence
Account deleted
The Gallery would be my choice from this list. Dark Tranquillity is amazing and has never let me down with any of their records, unlike some bands. *coughinflamescough*
25.11.2009 - 20:15
Warlock84
That's a tough one... so let me do this by band:

Amon Amarth- Versus The World
The Haunted- The Dead Eye
Dark Tranquillity- The Gallery
At The Gates- Slaughter Of The Soul
In Flames- A Sense Of Purpose .... BaHahahahaha... just kidding, what a piece of shit.... Colony
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
26.11.2009 - 09:09
Derwood
The problem with this poll is that while all Gothenburg is melodeath, not all melodeath is Gothenburg. Amon Amarth are melodeath, but they do not play a Gothenburg style of melodeath.

Besides, Versus the World is their best album.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
26.11.2009 - 13:04
Warman
Erotic Stains
This is a really hard question. I think I'll have to go with In Flames' "Colony". Because I'm sure the best one is from that bands golden age. But to choose between "Colony" and "The Jester Race" was painful. But I chose the pink/purple album.
"Jester Race" has a better atmoshpere, but overall "Colony" is full of smashing Gothenburg songs which works great live with an audience and also in your stereo. I feel like Fridén is at his top here too, peeking.
----
20.03.2010 - 16:58
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by [user id=35732] on 11.03.2010 at 21:49

Amon Amarth copies other bands different styles, mix those together and sounds boring.

lol Virtual hi-5 from me to you dude...could not have said it better myself. Well I could possibly add that they always sound the same.

Anyway back on topic...Favourite Gothenburg album is probably "Soilwork - Chainheart Machine". Thats one seriously under-appreciated album!
20.03.2010 - 17:38
Urs Blank
Slaughter Of The Soul gets my vote, though I must admit I'm not fond of Gothenburg. Above The Weeping World would be my second choice.
04.07.2010 - 19:47
ExtraHachse
My favourite is The Gallery. It's so great i love it.
----
I like Powerwolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
05.07.2010 - 03:16
Kennoth
Wow, such diversity in a poll. It would be even better if you included one more album from Dark Tranquility.

Mine would be Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
----
*insert something deep and profound*
06.07.2010 - 11:47
Weaponz248
All are great albums but In Flames Jester Race is my pick. Its a classic IMO
10.07.2010 - 16:18
Behdaad
DEAD
I voted for Damage Done.
I prefer Dark Tranquillity more than Amon Amarth.
But both of them rock!
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
17.07.2010 - 12:58
Autius
Really should have put Archenemy's Burning Bridges
it kicks the living shit out of Wages Of Sin
...then it lights it on fire and piss's ou the flame.....then has some cake
----
Som lyset forsvinner
mørket vokser
som lyset forsvinner
Vi Brenn i mørket
som lyset forsvinner
slutten morgener i nærheten
31.07.2010 - 00:17
timgrimes
I chose In Flames - The Jester Race only because it has a very special history with me. It was one of the first albums I listened to over and over. I know this probably means I am biased but I don't truly understand what gothemburg metal is. And yes I listen to Insomnium, Dark Tranquillty and Arch Enemy but they all came after that great In Flames album for me. I listen to Insomnium more recently and would choose Since the Day it all Came Down before anything but I just can't get away from the fat that In Flames' album really set me up to the greatest that euro metal has to offer. Jester race is my vote with Since the Day it All Came Down as a very close second. I really, really appreciate the music Insomnium creates.
03.08.2010 - 18:26
ferm
I chose The Jester Race, it's a really MAGIC album

Anyway, altough Amon Amarth truly is a great band, I would not classify it as Gothenburg sound really.
09.08.2010 - 06:21
Oric
I'd have to say Slaughter of the Soul, followed closely behind by The Gallery
15.08.2010 - 22:58
Reza
Account deleted
With Oden On Our Side is one of my favorite albums of all times!
29.06.2011 - 16:32
Aristarchos
I would say In Flames - Clayman