Metal Storm logo
Best Drums

Original post

Posted by Savage Messiah, 06.08.2006 - 03:45
Personally I prefer Tama's sound... plus most of the bands I listen to use Tama, but tell me what you like, which model and why

Poll

Which drum make is the best?

Tama
Pearl
Mapex
Gretsch
DW
Sonor
Premier
Other
Yamaha

Total votes: 43
31.08.2006 - 14:22
Markku
Account deleted
My main crash(the only one actually) is a paiste alpha 14', that's small right. But I really like the sound of it.

btw. what are the results in the poll, I wont vote because I haven't played most of th kits and therefore can't see the results.
01.09.2006 - 09:54
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by [user id=3005] on 31.08.2006 at 14:22

My main crash(the only one actually) is a paiste alpha 14', that's small right. But I really like the sound of it.

btw. what are the results in the poll, I wont vote because I haven't played most of th kits and therefore can't see the results.

Do you prefer small crashes to big ones then? I think some smaller crashes sound good, it just depends on what you like.

the results are:
Tama 4
Pearl 3
Yamaha 0
DW 1
Premier 0
Mapex 1
Gretsch 1
Sonor 2
Other 1
01.09.2006 - 11:43
Markku
Account deleted
Thanks. I wouldn't say I prefer small ones, just that they sound good too.
03.09.2006 - 21:56
Remus
Well from personal experience(wich isn't a lot) i'd say Tama. However from listening to bands i'd say that Daniel Anderssons' drums sound excellent and he uses Pearl's! I think that how you tune and silence drums counts for a lot, and also good mics help a lot.

btw, i think Paiste hats are terrible- i played on a set of 101's and they sounded like sheet metal! I personally use some low end Zildjians and they sound awesome!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
03.09.2006 - 22:43
Markku
Account deleted
Dude, 101 are the cheapest Paistes there are, they have many series of excellent cymbals too.

I oticed you judge drums here how some bands sound. I guess that's mainly on what you've heard on cd's, but when it comes to recorded music the drum sound depends alot of how it's produced/mixed so it's not fair to judge on that basis.c
04.09.2006 - 11:41
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Remus on 03.09.2006 at 21:56

Well from personal experience(wich isn't a lot) i'd say Tama. However from listening to bands i'd say that Daniel Anderssons' drums sound excellent and he uses Pearl's! I think that how you tune and silence drums counts for a lot, and also good mics help a lot.

btw, i think Paiste hats are terrible- i played on a set of 101's and they sounded like sheet metal! I personally use some low end Zildjians and they sound awesome!

Yeah.. man 101's are entry level, you need to play Paiste's decent cymbals before you go ahead and judge them.
Did you mean Daniel Erlandsson? (Arch Enemy) Because if so, that guy does SO much technical crap to get his kit to sound right...
04.09.2006 - 17:25
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I broke my Hi-hat and I got buy new one , any recommendations? no specific price rates
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
04.09.2006 - 17:33
Markku
Account deleted
Would like something exotic. I could sell you mine
05.09.2006 - 10:37
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by heresiarch on 04.09.2006 at 17:25

I broke my Hi-hat and I got buy new one , any recommendations? no specific price rates

I'm in the same situation... my drum teacher has these awesome sounding Paiste hihats though... I'll try find out what model they are.
05.09.2006 - 21:48
Remus
Written by Savage Messiah on 04.09.2006 at 11:41

Did you mean Daniel Erlandsson? (Arch Enemy) Because if so, that guy does SO much technical crap to get his kit to sound right...

Yup I did mean him, i was in a hurry and Anderson just came to mind, he's my favourite drummer! What do you mean by "technical crap"? Using special silencers and triggers? That's pretty common wit just about everyone! Still, the fact that he plays Pearl must contribute to the awesome sound!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
07.09.2006 - 13:48
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Yeah but I heard he uses a little more than just triggers + silencers
Pearl is a great brand yeah, pretty flexible sound.

I still need a new hihat... *searches*
If anyone can help me out that'd be great
03.10.2006 - 04:55
Jeremus
Account deleted
Personally I like Tama best (obviously most people do) but currently i have a Yamaha Stage Custom and i'm very pleased with it, it has great sound and stands up to a lot of beating. I'm going to buy a Tama Superstar in the spring that will run me about $4500. I'm pretty excited.
03.10.2006 - 14:38
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by [user id=1558] on 03.10.2006 at 04:55

Personally I like Tama best (obviously most people do) but currently i have a Yamaha Stage Custom and i'm very pleased with it, it has great sound and stands up to a lot of beating. I'm going to buy a Tama Superstar in the spring that will run me about $4500. I'm pretty excited.

Awesome What cymbals do you use?
04.10.2006 - 00:07
Jeremus
Account deleted
@ Savage Messiah: I have a set of Zildjian cymbals and a set of Meinl cymbals. I am now a meinl guy all the FUCKING WAY!!!!!
04.10.2006 - 11:09
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by [user id=1558] on 04.10.2006 at 00:07

I am now a meinl guy all the FUCKING WAY!!!!!

Why Meinl? (I've never tried them)
04.10.2006 - 17:00
Jeremus
Account deleted
Just the quality of the cymbals is great. The have the best sound. and there is so much varity in all the lines they have. also musicians have designed cymbals for them. what could be better.
05.10.2006 - 00:43
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by [user id=1558] on 04.10.2006 at 17:00

Just the quality of the cymbals is great. The have the best sound. and there is so much varity in all the lines they have. also musicians have designed cymbals for them. what could be better.

I thought a lot of the other cymbal brands have been designed by other musicians? If you've ever tried Paiste cymbals, how do they compare to the meinl ones? (Paiste alpha series upwards..)
05.10.2006 - 17:00
Jeremus
Account deleted
I've tried all the major brands. Paiste are good but just the feel of the meinl when you hit if makes you want just play for the rest of your life. my least favorite are probably Sabian because their tone just doesn't seem to stand up to my playing.
24.10.2006 - 03:34
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Everybody remembers the original Animal from the Muppet show. Here he is on a drum duel against the one of the greatest drummers in the world Buddy Rich. He is Ludvig man 'til the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKHT0wMWq7g

heheheee
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
05.11.2006 - 13:48
Remus
So a friend of mine bought a new set of Paiste cymbals, don't know what set but it's not the cheapest one - 101 - and in my opinion they are total crap. The ride and crash sound allmost the same when you play on their individual bells. And the hats, man they sound bad. However, two of my other friends say they really like them. Well i know it comes down to opinion but mine is: Paiste just sucks. Go Zildjian!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
05.11.2006 - 22:53
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Remus on 05.11.2006 at 13:48

So a friend of mine bought a new set of Paiste cymbals, don't know what set but it's not the cheapest one - 101 - and in my opinion they are total crap. The ride and crash sound allmost the same when you play on their individual bells. And the hats, man they sound bad. However, two of my other friends say they really like them. Well i know it comes down to opinion but mine is: Paiste just sucks. Go Zildjian!

What series exactly is that?
Paiste has many cheap series besides 101 such as 201 and 302.
08.11.2006 - 18:55
Christos
Written by Remus on 05.11.2006 at 13:48

Heh, Paiste sucks because you didn't like their budget cymbal range? Try playing some 2002s.

The high-end cymbals from all the major manufacturers are great, the budget cymbals are just that: budget.
----
ta bi
08.11.2006 - 22:43
Remus
Written by Christos on 08.11.2006 at 18:55

Heh, Paiste sucks because you didn't like their budget cymbal range? Try playing some 2002s.

The high-end cymbals from all the major manufacturers are great, the budget cymbals are just that: budget.

Not so. I've played on Zildjian's low end "Planet Z" pkz-4 set and they sounded pretty good. So this is my point Zildjian makes good cymbals - expensive or cheap.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
13.11.2006 - 10:52
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Remus on 08.11.2006 at 22:43

Written by Christos on 08.11.2006 at 18:55

Not so. I've played on Zildjian's low end "Planet Z" pkz-4 set and they sounded pretty good. So this is my point Zildjian makes good cymbals - expensive or cheap.

hmm well while Paiste's cheaper cymbals tend to sound like sheet metal, their more expensive cymbals have an amazing, rich sound to them.. you can hear the difference between the cymbals clearly, so your friend obviously bought cheap ones, that or.. maybe you don't have an "ear" for cymbals? I assume you're a musician so you probably do. Zildjian IMO dont have a particularly interesting sound, they give you what is needed but thats about it... nothing more.
17.11.2006 - 20:38
Remus
Written by Savage Messiah on 13.11.2006 at 10:52

maybe you don't have an "ear" for cymbals? I assume you're a musician so you probably do. Zildjian IMO dont have a particularly interesting sound, they give you what is needed but thats about it... nothing more.

I like to think i am a musician... I am currently trying to reproduce Mr Erlandsson's work on "We Will Rise" - it's harder than it sounds! Anyway, you're right, cheap cymbals sound ok and expensive cymbals sound amazing regardless of brand! I guess liking a certain brand is just a matter of opinion.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
19.12.2006 - 01:38
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Down with Tama! Give your money to DW.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to [url=../bands/album.php?album_id=28982]wind up[/url] on Sundays
19.12.2006 - 06:15
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Syk on 19.12.2006 at 01:38

Down with Tama! Give your money to DW.

DW are good, but what do you have against Tama?
21.12.2006 - 04:19
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Horror stories from my mate - one of her cymbals got a split after one day's jamming, then the next day she put a hole in the kick drum.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to [url=../bands/album.php?album_id=28982]wind up[/url] on Sundays
21.12.2006 - 10:28
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Syk on 21.12.2006 at 04:19

Horror stories from my mate - one of her cymbals got a split after one day's jamming, then the next day she put a hole in the kick drum.

Tama cymbals? I didn't know those exist
How the hell one can make hole into bass drum without using any tools?
22.12.2006 - 20:17
sixpounder
Account deleted
I think using many different brands and styles can broaden your sound and style plus some less expensive cymbals can sound good and sometimes are more durable them expensive ones