Metal Storm logo
Best Symphonic Band

Original post

Posted by Bas, 10.09.2006 - 18:46
These are some of my favourite symphonic metal bands, Haggard, Therion and Within Temptation being pure symphonic metal and the others symphonic +some other style,

please dont only vote but also explain your opinions

i myself went for Magica, the beautiful keyboard lines, the virtuous guitar riffing, the wonderful solos and guitar/keyboard duels, the awesome vocals, great band

Poll

Which is the best symphonic metal band?

Therion
Rhapsody (of fire)
Haggard
Demons And Wizards
Within Temptation
Tristania
Sirenia
Adagio
Magica

Total votes: 174
25.09.2006 - 20:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=11853] on 25.09.2006 at 18:47

The greatest symphonic band would be Nightwish, but
they are not included to the list. So I voted for Wthin
Temptation because musical they are close to them....

bTW what are your opinium about Flowing Tears and Flowing Tears and Whitered Flowers?

also Xiandria for me thay sounds shymhonic bands, but maybe you can explain better thay are from Germany
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.09.2006 - 20:15
Tydirium
Account deleted
I have to admit that I do not know them sorry
25.09.2006 - 20:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=11853] on 25.09.2006 at 20:15

I have to admit that I do not know them sorry

Xandria are new album last year thay are in metal storm, and Rockantene plays them in 4day when are this you know hard n heavy stuff I forgot guy name who are playinjg it, but thay quat offen play old german speed and give good info, wish my german was better

Flowing Tears are one band like Flowing tears and Withered Flowers, but its hrd get them its gothic metal but lil shymphonic and home page dont exist
----

29.09.2006 - 00:48
Revenant
Account deleted
Demons And Wizards is n even vaguely symphonic, and you are missing out nightwish who are the biggest symphonic metal band, Epica should also be on this list (even if I am ntoa big fan they are a very big and important part of the genre). I chose Theiron because they are amazing live as well as on CD.
29.09.2006 - 01:24
IrOnRoSeS
Account deleted
Therion, I think they are the most symphonic band (at least of those which I know) I haven't heard anything from Haggard so i'll check'em out. By the way, as Revenant said i don't think Demons & Wizards could be labeled as symphonic...
29.09.2006 - 17:45
duyhung
Account deleted
@IrOnRoSes : If you like Therion, I think you'll soon be into Haggard's music. Their music is even more classical than Therion's
29.09.2006 - 18:00
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Can be Hollenthon labelled as symphonic??? if they do, they are certainly my favourite
29.09.2006 - 18:07
Valar
IndianSteel
I will go for Demons and Wizards from that list, the amazing duo of Schaffer and Hansi have made flawless music in the first album and the second was awesome too.
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
29.09.2006 - 20:03
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by [user id=5431] on 29.09.2006 at 00:48

you are missing out nightwish who are the biggest symphonic metal band

thats only your opinion, in my own they are crap
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
30.09.2006 - 02:54
Revenant
Account deleted
Written by Bas on 29.09.2006 at 20:03

Written by [user id=5431] on 29.09.2006 at 00:48

you are missing out nightwish who are the biggest symphonic metal band

thats only your opinion, in my own they are crap

Big as in sales not as in quality. The one symphonic metal band that most people can name is Nightwish.

Nightwish is wonderfull though,s ad you can't apreciate that, masot trendy metallers can't.
30.09.2006 - 17:07
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5080] on 29.09.2006 at 18:00

Can be Hollenthon labelled as symphonic??? if they do, they are certainly my favourite

I don't think they're symphonic But Helloween is obviously a great band
30.09.2006 - 19:40
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by [user id=5431] on 30.09.2006 at 02:54

Nightwish is wonderfull though,s ad you can't apreciate that, masot trendy metallers can't.

so you're accusing me that i dont like Nightwish only because they are famous?
well mr. have a look at my favourite bandlist and see that it doesnt only contain the very famous Iron Maiden but also Clawfinger and Rob Zombie which both aren't really considered as "tr00" bands, but i both love them alot

the reason i dislike Nightwish is simply that i can't stand their music, i dont give a shit if it might be cool to dislike the band because of their image or because they're played on mtv, i just dont like their MUSIC
----
30.09.2006 - 22:41
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14272] on 30.09.2006 at 17:07

mmm you didn't read well my post, never said Helloween
30.09.2006 - 23:10
Bash'
:)
well,, i see it's good not to add Nightwish .. hehe, coz at first when i see the voting i searched for them ... that would coz that most ppl wants to vote two votes, one for Nightwish & the other for any other band ..

well..
Within Temptation was a good band to vote for but in symphonics melodies i like little bands more..
Therion i have three of their albums .. they really good .. but not as Haggard IMO
Haggard took my vote
Rhapsody i don't like their songs .. seems they sounds happy .. but also am afraid of being wrong.. i have to check their latest album..
Adagio I bet that the band itself can't lsn for a complete album all on one time ... i get bored from them when i reach the 4th track .. on the 5th i change the cd.. never could lsn for a complete album at once ..
Tristania & Sirenia are both extremly similar .. both can't be the best in symphonic IMO

Magica & Demons And Wizards sadly i don't know them .. but as the (smart) founder of this topic choosed Magica i think that i must try their stuff..

Good Topic

*LOVE*
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
01.10.2006 - 12:31
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5080] on 30.09.2006 at 22:41

Written by [user id=14272] on 30.09.2006 at 17:07

mmm you didn't read well my post, never said Helloween

Oh no, now I notice that you didn't say about Helloween. Sorry, maybe there was some problem with my eyes
01.10.2006 - 13:19
Revenant
Account deleted
Written by Bas on 30.09.2006 at 19:40

Written by [user id=5431] on 30.09.2006 at 02:54

so you're accusing me that i dont like Nightwish only because they are famous?
well mr. have a look at my favourite bandlist and see that it doesnt only contain the very famous Iron Maiden but also Clawfinger and Rob Zombie which both aren't really considered as "tr00" bands, but i both love them alot

the reason i dislike Nightwish is simply that i can't stand their music, i dont give a shit if it might be cool to dislike the band because of their image or because they're played on mtv, i just dont like their MUSIC

Non ot because they;re famous but because msot metal heads hate their romantic feminine sound, it's so far from most metal that people think itr must be bad. You don't have to like them but at what they do they are excelent.
01.10.2006 - 13:20
Revenant
Account deleted
Written by Bash' on 30.09.2006 at 23:10

well,, i see it's good not to add Nightwish .. hehe, coz at first when i see the voting i searched for them ... that would coz that most ppl wants to vote two votes, one for Nightwish & the other for any other band ..

well..
Within Temptation was a good band to vote for but in symphonics melodies i like little bands more..
Therion i have three of their albums .. they really good .. but not as Haggard IMO
Haggard took my vote
Rhapsody i don't like their songs .. seems they sounds happy .. but also am afraid of being wrong.. i have to check their latest album..
Adagio I bet that the band itself can't lsn for a complete album all on one time ... i get bored from them when i reach the 4th track .. on the 5th i change the cd.. never could lsn for a complete album at once ..
Tristania & Sirenia are both extremly similar .. both can't be the best in symphonic IMO

Magica & Demons And Wizards sadly i don't know them .. but as the (smart) founder of this topic choosed Magica i think that i must try their stuff..

Good Topic

*LOVE*

Rhapsody is usualy really happy. But they have sadder songs like Guardiano del Destino.
01.10.2006 - 13:59
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by [user id=5431] on 01.10.2006 at 13:19

Non ot because they;re famous but because msot metal heads hate their romantic feminine sound, it's so far from most metal that people think itr must be bad. You don't have to like them but at what they do they are excelent.

i disagree, i listen to alot of powermetal bands with female vocals, Magica, Forgotten Tales, Lunatica, etc. and also alot of other bands with female vocalists

it's not the style i dislike, it's only Nightwish i dont like because there are so many bands that do something really simialar, but do it much better
----
01.10.2006 - 15:05
Lupas
Maximus
I have vote for Haggard, since their music is the best in this field. But it was a hard choice leaving away Therion .
Haggard have great songs and a well group of members , as far i can know is 25 at the moment . Their songs mixs all symphonic with growls , female and male , orchestra with havey guitiar . Well they are great.

Therion is a step behind but they are still good.
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
03.10.2006 - 20:59
Revenant
Account deleted
Written by Bas on 01.10.2006 at 13:59

Written by [user id=5431] on 01.10.2006 at 13:19

i disagree, i listen to alot of powermetal bands with female vocals, Magica, Forgotten Tales, Lunatica, etc. and also alot of other bands with female vocalists

it's not the style i dislike, it's only Nightwish i dont like because there are so many bands that do something really simialar, but do it much better

'Tis all perosnal taste tbh. but I find NW's vocals and mellodies far more powerfull and atmospheric than other band int he genre (I like bands such as Lunatica though) andd find Tuomas's songwriting ina legeaue of its own for hopeless romance, but it's all down to personal taste.
03.10.2006 - 21:06
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by [user id=5431] on 03.10.2006 at 20:59

but it's all down to personal taste.

indeed
----
04.10.2006 - 00:02
Remus
Written by Bad English on 11.09.2006 at 00:20

Whoot demons and Wizards what thay do here

That's what i'm thinking too! Well, out of all these bands Demons & Wizards are my favourite but I just consider them pwr. Rhapsody of Fire comes second.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
04.10.2006 - 00:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Remus on 04.10.2006 at 00:02

Written by Bad English on 11.09.2006 at 00:20

Whoot demons and Wizards what thay do here

That's what i'm thinking too! Well, out of all these bands Demons & Wizards are my favourite but I just consider them pwr. Rhapsody of Fire comes second.

I agree bout it its Power metal, but its same time thrashy and speedy sound if we talk about Demons n Wizards, but Rhapsdy(I still stick at old name) are shymphonic power metal I afree about it, ist no doubt
----

04.10.2006 - 21:56
Remus
So i checked out Magica and man, what a band! Ok, i only have the "Bittersweet Nightshade" vidoe but it's awesome! Best Romanian band by far!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
04.10.2006 - 21:59
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Remus on 04.10.2006 at 21:56

So i checked out Magica and man, what a band! Ok, i only have the "Bittersweet Nightshade" vidoe but it's awesome! Best Romanian band by far!

hehe, glad to hear that
it is a very good song indeed

if you want you may add me to msn and i´ll send you some more
----
10.10.2006 - 23:17
Kanon
Account deleted
i vote for Rhapsody of Fire no doubt about this , then my favorites Therion and Adagio...
18.10.2006 - 15:44
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
I noticed that there was Tristania after I voted for Demons and Wizards...............
but both bands are wonderfull

Sorry Tristania.....................
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
18.10.2006 - 18:26
El Vikingo
Therion is by far the best in symphonic metal. Reason being that they never forget that they are indeed a HEAVY METAL band. A friend of mine described them perfectly after a live concert of their's that we went to that night when he said that they are "brutally beautiful." All of these other bands are often beautiful, but they often lack that good ol' heavy metal brutality.
----
"The worst kind of death is getting eaten by someone you love."
19.10.2006 - 22:10
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Therion hands down, but mainly for what they did to the genre...and how awesome their music is. Founders and genre-breakers I give much more respect to even if musically they have been upstaged...but Therion still haven't.
10.11.2006 - 23:31
Lorien
Account deleted
Looking from sympho side of the band it's WT