Metal Storm logo
Best guitar-vocalist

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 23.03.2007 - 12:53
which is the best man who plays guitar and sings at the same time?
for me, i like it when they know a balance between the singing and guitar playing, a thing which Dave Mustaine and Alexi Laiho do. between these i'll choose Mustaine though, because while laiho is more technical guitarwise, dave's got a better voice(lol though it's not very good, i know) and he's able to put some emotion and power in his voice, while laiho's sounds monotonous. just growl growl growl raagh raagh reaper
12.12.2007 - 21:20
Demonmayonnaise
Dave Mustaine, he owns Hetfield on the guitar.
12.12.2007 - 22:00
Timsen
Account deleted
Written by BADDEST MEMBER on 12.12.2007 at 09:16

Alexi Laiho, my best fav for this topic also with Valfar (I saw the pic he standing with micro and guitar). Second: James Hetfield. Third: Chuck Schuldiner.

Laiho ugh...
Forgettin' lyrics and shredding his riffs live lousy as hell, yes!

My fav is Jari Mäenpää (Wintersun) who really plays a lead guitar while singing. Awesome!
12.12.2007 - 22:08
selken
Irreligious
Jon Nödtveidt of Dissection, his haunting melodies and his nocturnal growls make an unique sound.
Kai Hansen from Gamma Ray, nobody is the best playing melodies and singing melodies too!!!
Chuck Schuldiner: the master of growling, low and high!!!! and the most techical.
----
13.12.2007 - 14:09
BADDEST MEMBER
Written by [user id=27183] on 12.12.2007 at 22:00

Written by BADDEST MEMBER on 12.12.2007 at 09:16

Alexi Laiho, my best fav for this topic also with Valfar (I saw the pic he standing with micro and guitar). Second: James Hetfield. Third: Chuck Schuldiner.

My fav is Jari Mäenpää (Wintersun) who really plays a lead guitar while singing. Awesome!

How could I forget Jari, tallented voal guitarist.
13.12.2007 - 14:30
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I really like Tom Englund, I can't believe he's from Sweden- his voice sounds so american. I love the mood of Evergrey's music in general, the darkness of their power metal.
But for an absolute favorite, I would go with Devin Townsend. Some people think he is overrated but you can't deny he is one of the hardest working men in music. Look at his credits as a producer (helping LoG reach their pinnacle with As the Palaces Burn) and guest vocalist work (Soilwork's "Black Star Deceiver is amazing.) See "The Human Equation" for examples of his dedication to quality (his own melodies, his own lyrics, submitting 20+ vocal tracks for some songs.) I think "Loser" was the best song on that album. His range of musical styles is unmatched- going from the SYL chaos of "Hevy Devy" to the comedic punk of Punky Bruster to the fluid motion of Biomech to the ambience of Devlab/Hummer and finally brewing up some Ziltoid, this guy is a maniac.
13.12.2007 - 20:58
ArcanaHereticae
John Gallagher from Dying Fetus is so hardcore with it. He can play all that technical brutality and never lose his voice. He sounds identical live as he does on their recordings. His performance is flawless. That is true talent.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
16.12.2007 - 19:35
Snockis
Written by Introspekrieg on 13.12.2007 at 14:30

I really like Tom Englund, I can't believe he's from Sweden- his voice sounds so american.

Dude a lot of ppl here in Sweden sound like American ppl when they speak English, the main reason is actually when (during which time/year) you had your education, ppl grew up with American tv shows, we don't have any translated tv shows here like they do in France and Germany, they do only add subtitles. (the only translated shows would be childish cartoon shows)
Those dudes who actually can't talk any english at all is ppl born like at the 50:th and further back.
They started to be more strict with the English lessons during the 80ise, that's why the younger swedes talk so clean English or American. (Most of the younger generation do that)
One thing that really annoys me with the American tv is that when an American dude is acting a swede and talk Swedish, he or she Actually talk like she or he would be from Germany.

ppl form France and Germany, don't take this in a offensive way, just bringing up the facts here.

Yeah and concerning the topic, Kai Hansen is a great singer and guitar player.
He has a good voice and a great guitar player.

Hm, edited and changed the thingies that I misspelled.
18.12.2007 - 16:46
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
@Snockis: You talk about that we swedes talk very good english. At least younger ppl. But you should at least know that "Tyskland" is called Germany in english, and not only German, because German is the language, not the country. Oh, and it's lessons not lesions

Sorry for the off topic discussion. So, back to topic
18.12.2007 - 16:49
RhysTerk
Think i've got to say Dave Mustaine and Kai Hansen.
And yeah, we swedes talks really good english
18.12.2007 - 23:48
Snockis
Written by RhysTerk on 18.12.2007 at 16:49

Think i've got to say Dave Mustaine and Kai Hansen.
And yeah, we swedes talks really good english

Well that's right, It's actually we ppl around the Scandinavian Peninsula that I meaned.
I mostly listen to power metal, so there's only a few musicians that I know of whom sings and play guitar at the same time.
Alexi,Piet Sielck, Hansen and Chris Bay, but Hansen is the best of these guys that I just mentioned.
19.12.2007 - 10:13
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 12.12.2007 at 21:20

How's that? We all know Mustaine has trouble playing advanced stuff while singing. Hetfield don't even break a sweat.
----
THRASH!!!
19.12.2007 - 10:13
BADDEST MEMBER
How can we forget Devin Townsend, who is also a talented guitar-vocalist.
19.12.2007 - 13:33
Smurfophagist
Hetfield, definitely. Even though Chuck Schuldiner kicks ass as well. But I always admired Hetfield for his ability to play incredibly fast riffs and sing at the same time, take for example Master Of Puppets. I didn't pick Mustaine because sometimes he loses his breath while singing and is not able play anything very 'challenging while singing at the same time.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
19.12.2007 - 19:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by DrunkenFuck on 19.12.2007 at 10:13

Written by Demonmayonnaise on 12.12.2007 at 21:20

How's that? We all know Mustaine has trouble playing advanced stuff while singing. Hetfield don't even break a sweat.

[URL=http://youtube.com/watch?v=omQl2UT-OFY] O RLY?[/URL]

Mustaine can also play lead guitar, while Hetfield only plays rhythm, and his proficiency with the guitar would make it hard for him to play most Megadeth songs and sing at the same time.
05.01.2008 - 08:27
deadset61
Account deleted
James Malone from Arsis and Dave Mustaine from Megadeth
07.01.2008 - 07:59
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Jarii Maenppa From Wintersun and Adrian Smith From Iron Maiden!
07.01.2008 - 17:11
Ascalon
Mustaine and Hetfield
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
07.01.2008 - 18:30
Dominique
Account deleted
of course, James Hetfield the Metallica.

08.01.2008 - 18:29
Melodeath Master
Lately I've been very fond of Petri Lindroos of Norther and Ensiferum. Playing both leads and sings. Very great musician. As well as Kristian Ranta, though only doing rythm guitars mostly, but he is good at it, and a very good singer, he's the one doing the clean vocals in Norther.
09.01.2008 - 18:29
Hamird
Lieutenant
Peter Tagtgren guitar/coval of Hypocrisy ...
10.01.2008 - 10:50
Melodeath Master
Written by Hamird on 09.01.2008 at 18:29

Not only Hypocrisy, but also the Industrial Metal band Pain
10.01.2008 - 10:52
Melodeath Master
Written by Vinnie R. on 07.01.2008 at 07:59

Adrian Smith doesn't do any vocals in Iron Maiden only guitars xD But Jari Mäenpää is awesome guitarist/vocalist! (This thread is about musicians playing both guitars and sings at the same time, not vocalists and guitarists separate).
10.01.2008 - 12:43
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 10.01.2008 at 10:50

huh. yeah that is my favourite band.
10.01.2008 - 14:03
Melodeath Master
Written by Hamird on 10.01.2008 at 12:43

"huh" <--- didn't you understand what I ment? Peter Tägtgren isn't only guitar/vocalist of Hypocrisy, but also of Pain
10.01.2008 - 20:43
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 10.01.2008 at 10:52

Written by Vinnie R. on 07.01.2008 at 07:59

Adrian Smith doesn't do any vocals in Iron Maiden only guitars xD But Jari Mäenpää is awesome guitarist/vocalist! (This thread is about musicians playing both guitars and sings at the same time, not vocalists and guitarists separate).

Well, Adrian sings in an Iron Maiden Bootleg, and in the song Reach Out! c'mon you got to listen it dude! Sounds Fantastic
10.01.2008 - 21:08
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 10.01.2008 at 14:03

Written by Hamird on 10.01.2008 at 12:43

"huh" <--- didn't you understand what I ment? Peter Tägtgren isn't only guitar/vocalist of Hypocrisy, but also of Pain

so pain is my favourite band
19.08.2009 - 12:27
Razorback
Dave Mustaine,James Hetfield,Abbath Doom Occulta.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
24.08.2009 - 16:54
My favourite one is Mikael Akerfeldt...A great singer, guitar player,lyricist and composer...A close second is Chuck Schuldiner (RIP)...Devin Townsend is also amazing on stage...Mustaine is also great and, at least in my oppinion, much better than Hetfield...
25.08.2009 - 03:03
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
My favorite is a toss up. Chuck Schuldiner is amazing, but Muhammed Suicmez from Necrophagist is also amazing. Since Chuck Schuldiner is very well known I'm not going to go and on about how great he was (he was incredible for the record) but just watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA4oq7DBU8E and you'll see how awesome Muhammed Suicmez is.
25.08.2009 - 21:16
dEAthB3D
Definitely Chuck Schuldiner.... very technical guitarist, his vocal range is unbelievable, one more is mikael akerfeldt, i've never seen anyone growls and sing like him, yet he's a very amazing songwriter and his guitar skill is good...
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason