Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest more influential?

Original post

Posted by Dam3k, 01.06.2006 - 00:14
Well there are two of the most importants bands of all time in the metal scene, but which one do u think is more influential? Give reasons and explain. I think Judas Priest has been more influential in the US metal than in the european one, on the other hand I've been noticed about lot of european bands with influence of Iron Maiden, so I can't decide =). Well... maybe this two bands haven't been very influential for death metal or black metal bands but IMO they've been in thrash, power, progressive and heavy even hard rock. Choose one!!

Poll

Which band do u think has been more influential 4 metal scene??

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Can't decide

Total votes: 457
11.07.2006 - 17:16
Dam3k
Written by Baz Anderson on 11.07.2006 at 13:15

i think people dont really know hat Judas Priest did or even are looking at all of this
i mean come on - you just have to look at bands like Gamma Ray and Primal Fear
Judas Priest influenced Iron Maiden and so everything onwards from there.. they influenced Helloween, and so pretty much all power metal and such

it really annoys me how people dont give Judas Priest the credit they deserve!
they were around before Iron Maiden - when Iron Maiden ame along they were accused of 'ripping off' Judas Priest
if people think Judas Priest are more rock, then they really havent given their 70's albums excluding 'Rocka Rolla' (before Iron Maidne ones) a chance
'Sad Wings Of Destiny' is where traditional heavy mtal as it is now was born in my opinion. i just hate that Judas Priest dont get any credit now because Iron Maiden are so much more commercial

haha, i probably sayd way back up there somewhere this thread would annoy me

Well, you said Judas Priest inffluenced power metal... and well that could fit for the first power metal bands like u said Helloween, but in fact Helloween at the very begining weren't a power metal band, it was somewhat like thrash/speed metal or whatever, so I continue thinking that Judas Priest inffluenced thrash/speed metal and Iron Maiden power metal... you just should hear the whole power metal finnish scene who IMO is clearly inffluenced by Iron Maiden not by Judas Priest, despite I truly can decide which one is more influencial so don't think wrong about me
----

11.07.2006 - 22:52
Demonizer

i think people dont really know hat Judas Priest did or even are looking at all of this
Judas Priest influenced Iron Maiden and so everything onwards from there.. they influenced Helloween, and so pretty much all power metal and such

they were around before Iron Maiden - when Iron Maiden ame along they were accused of 'ripping off' Judas Priest
if people think Judas Priest are more rock, then they really havent given their 70's albums excluding 'Rocka Rolla' (before Iron Maidne ones) a chance
'Sad Wings Of Destiny' is where traditional heavy mtal as it is now was born in my opinion. i just hate that Judas Priest dont get any credit now because Iron Maiden are so much more commercial

same here...I really hate it when people say "I don't really listen to Priest, so I'll vote Maiden". It's like everything including Maiden is a popularity contest...and there seem to be plenty of "statement" here too (like "priest only influenced rock" or "maiden influenced power metal") without any arguments at all...this could be a very interesting discussion about 2 very influential bands, but to me it looks like it has become a popularity contest
12.07.2006 - 02:57
Baz Anderson
Staff
yes. i am glad someone agrees with me

Dam3k: but there are power metal bands now that clearly have been inspired by Judas Priest, like Primal Fear and Gamma Ray like i keep saying
Iron Maiden may have influenced some power metal bands from countries like Finland, but i think German power metal bands follow closley behind Judas Priest apart from a few

Demonizer: yes, thats definatly what always seems to happen. Iron Maiden are more commercial now and so have more of the younger fans that dont seem to want to take an interest in seeing where metal came from - which is a big shame really. but oh well
at least i can say that i, and you probably also own all the Judas Priest albums and know them inside out
12.07.2006 - 03:50
Hyvaarin
I'm with Baz on this. Just because you can hear Maiden's influence in lots of bands, it doesn't mean that Priest had no/little influence.

Here's another point to consider - Priest practically introduced the notion of speed to metal. Obviously I'm not saying that metal was slow before Priest, but songs like 'Exciter', 'Hell Bent for Leather' and 'Rapid Fire were revolutionary, at least as far as speed is concerned.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
12.07.2006 - 05:13
Bitch Boy
I voted for Iron Maiden. Obviously, both bands are just great and are influential, but I think that Iron Maiden, with the creation of the NWOBHM, consolidated metal as a genre. It is part of the discussion generated in the topic "The band that created metal". For me, there's no such band, but it was after Iron Maiden that metal scene became solid.

This obviously doesn't mean that, for me, Judas Priest have no influence. Of course they have, but I think Iron Maiden are more "legendary".
12.07.2006 - 23:26
Valmont
Iron Maiden for me too. It's like comparing Metallica and Megadeth. Both are influental bands but it seems Iron Maiden is more influential. "For me, there's no such band, but it was after Iron Maiden that metal scene became solid." Totally agree with Bitch Boy there. Iron Maiden has a bigger audience in my opinion than Judas Priest but both are lagendary and addressed to various types of audiences.
13.07.2006 - 04:15
Dam3k
Written by Hyvaarin on 12.07.2006 at 03:50

I'm with Baz on this. Just because you can hear Maiden's influence in lots of bands, it doesn't mean that Priest had no/little influence.

Here's another point to consider - Priest practically introduced the notion of speed to metal. Obviously I'm not saying that metal was slow before Priest, but songs like 'Exciter', 'Hell Bent for Leather' and 'Rapid Fire were revolutionary, at least as far as speed is concerned.

U are taking it wrong nobody said here, at least not me, that Judas Priest has no inffluence I've voted can't decide indeed... people votes Iron Maiden cuz is better known than Judas Priest (atm) and maybe that's why they have more inffluence cuz they are better known... I know a lot of metalheads who are into Iron Maiden and not into Judas Priest, that means that if they make a band and have an inffluence they haven't the chance to take a Judas Priest inffluence... I dunno if I explained correctly, anyway, I stand my way, can't decide =)
----

13.07.2006 - 04:35
Darryl/2112
Account deleted
there be no iron maiden without judas priest.lps like sin after sin and sad wings of destiny were the heaviest back then after sabbath.
Stained Class is a classic.

early maidenis also great,the guitar harmonies defitnely influenced alot bands back then.The debut,illers,Number are some of my faves.
13.07.2006 - 05:28
Hyvaarin
Written by Dam3k on 13.07.2006 at 04:15

U are taking it wrong nobody said here, at least not me, that Judas Priest has no inffluence I've voted can't decide indeed... people votes Iron Maiden cuz is better known than Judas Priest (atm) and maybe that's why they have more inffluence cuz they are better known... I know a lot of metalheads who are into Iron Maiden and not into Judas Priest, that means that if they make a band and have an inffluence they haven't the chance to take a Judas Priest inffluence... I dunno if I explained correctly, anyway, I stand my way, can't decide =)

Ahh, I get what you mean.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
13.07.2006 - 15:31
Dam3k
Written by Hyvaarin on 13.07.2006 at 05:28

Written by Dam3k on 13.07.2006 at 04:15

Ahh, I get what you mean.

So it's cool DD sometimes my mind runs faster than my fingers, so I cannot write that consistent way XD
----

22.07.2006 - 10:03
Robstar
I must day the Iron Fucking Maiden dude!
JP is really good , but not like Iron Maiden...
All their old stuff till Powerslave is awesome...
You really learn something by listening at this band!
It's Classic !

''I am the man who walks alone'''
----
Nothing is unreacheable
22.07.2006 - 12:12
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
I'm not going to cast a vote, simply because it's unfair (as stated by others) to compare such infuencial bands, each influencing different bands in the scene and also considering the fact that Iron Maiden are obviously more commercial, hence, greater reception from the audiences and more awareness of their existence in the scene.
22.07.2006 - 17:29
Dam3k
Written by Robstar on 22.07.2006 at 10:03

I must day the Iron Fucking Maiden dude!
JP is really good , but not like Iron Maiden...
All their old stuff till Powerslave is awesome...
You really learn something by listening at this band!
It's Classic !

''I am the man who walks alone'''

Well, dude we ain't talking about which is better or which band u like more, we're talking about which one is more inffluencial and maybe I understand wrong but your post says nothing refered to... =)
----

24.07.2006 - 06:54
Asat0r
This was tough, both are incredibly influential. I picked Maiden because most of the metal heads I know are heavily influenced by Maiden. When you're on these forums you hear more about Maiden than you do about Judas Priest, in my opinion at least.
25.07.2006 - 03:57
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
@Bitch Boy: Shaped? What are you kidding me? yea man, Glam metal was so solid and shit. Anyway, Priest was the first from NWOBHM, Maiden was just a over-hyped band to begin with, nothing real original there.
@Valmont: Who the hell has Megadeth influenced?!

Anyway, the complete obvious is Judas Priest, it's like comparing Metallica to Motorhead in terms of influence, ofcourse Metallica will unfairly get a huge bias, but the reasons are clear.
Simply put, Judas Priest is a SHAPER of metal, Maiden is not, they are simply a rehash of what Deep Purple and Priest were the in 70s, also I've never heard them evolve beyond that.
Anyway, I don't really know any important bands actually being influenced by Maiden, you know someting is wrong when a band like Helloween DENIES the influence set by Maiden, just a coincidence, not like Maiden is completly out there or something. Priest has influenced the whole gauntlet, from Death to Gamma Ray.
Enough said, anyway, Maiden is super overrated.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
27.07.2006 - 04:36
Robstar
I would say Iron Maiden dudes!
They are the shit ! I love their early stuff, Man just great band ,
I feel they are more innfluencial than JP , personal opinion....
Anyway!
Up the Iron !
----
Nothing is unreacheable
28.07.2006 - 03:21
Pyro
Account deleted
Many people here are voting Maiden just because they like it more than Judas Priest. Some guys are even posting without knowing Priest's albums besides Painkiller. Or simply because they are just listenging to metal and have only heard Maiden, and comments like "maiden is the shit" (above) can prove what I'm saying.

And my vote goes obviously to Judas Priest, not only cos' they existed before Maiden, but also because their works evolved from the old sound they started with to the sound they have nowadays. When Priest began there wasn't heavy metal as we know it. Just listen to Rocka Rolla and then to British Stell and you'll get what I'm saying. So Maiden is a big influence nowadays maybe, because every metal head starts with Iron Maiden, but Priest's influence is longer and much more relevant.
03.08.2006 - 23:07
Freyya
I'll go for Judas...they have the speed, the energy, the lyrics and the voice of Rob Halford (which I consider one of the greatest heavy metal voices) Iron Maiden is cool too, they are more popular and their live show is awesome...but Judas Priest is to me the band (one of) that created true hevy metal
----
"Music was invented to confirm human loneliness"
04.08.2006 - 00:12
tulkas
el parcero
I went with Iron Maiden, probably because of the legacy they have, and because their music has been able to stand out in a huge crwod of bands with great success. Now, I don´t really like this band, nonetheless I still respect them for what they´ve been able to do, and what they continue to do, although not at level they used to have. Anyway to Iron Maiden, and EDDIE (actually the only thing I like about them, hehe)
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
12.08.2006 - 01:34
arwestromen
For me it´s maiden up the irons (or somethiong)
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
16.08.2006 - 16:53
Anathemani@c
I believe that Iron Maiden was much influenced by Judas Priest but finally Maiden influenced more bands because of their more hard sound. Also, reffering to me, I don't like the whole thing with Judas Priest.. Hail to Maiden and Up the Irons!!!!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
17.08.2006 - 05:18
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
ah man, It is unfucking comprhensible to decide that.
I mean, I like Iron maiden WAY better, but I'm still a big priest fan and they have both influenced a countless number of metal bands. any body who puts one over the other Obviously doesn't understand both sides of the fence.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
17.08.2006 - 05:24
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Dam3k on 11.07.2006 at 17:16

Ok, look, No doubt Judas Priest has influenced a countless number of bands, and Iron Maiden to, But Priest By NO means was a direct influence on Maiden! True enough they came before maiden, but they're only like a year or two apart, so how could priest have influenced maiden. Also, Maidens sound is a direct Result of the Vision of steve harris, If you ever watch the early days DVD he says he wanted a twin lead with a sound like two bones ash.

So I definitly give Priest the respect they deserve, and I honestly don't know WHO influenced more people, But priest couldn't have been a direct influence on Maiden.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
17.08.2006 - 16:24
Dam3k
Written by Arian Totalis on 17.08.2006 at 05:24

Written by Dam3k on 11.07.2006 at 17:16

Ok, look, No doubt Judas Priest has influenced a countless number of bands, and Iron Maiden to, But Priest By NO means was a direct influence on Maiden! True enough they came before maiden, but they're only like a year or two apart, so how could priest have influenced maiden. Also, Maidens sound is a direct Result of the Vision of steve harris, If you ever watch the early days DVD he says he wanted a twin lead with a sound like two bones ash.

So I definitly give Priest the respect they deserve, and I honestly don't know WHO influenced more people, But priest couldn't have been a direct influence on Maiden.

Completly agree, I think it's an argument who perfectly demostrates why Iron Maiden has no influence of Judas Priest, come on dudes, Judas Priest it's all about leather, pins, etc, Iron Maiden is that nwboh style so... I think it's clear, both have influenced other bands but not eachother
----

17.08.2006 - 21:07
Baz Anderson
Staff
a year or two apart? the first Judas Priest album was SIX years before the first Iron Maiden one..
i am not saying Judas Priest directly influenced everything Iron Maiden did - but they did influence them, they had been around five albums worth before them!
when Iron Maiden started up - Judas Priest accused them of copying them in ways..

this poll just shows how uneducated people are about Judas Priest even though they still say they 'respect' them and all the rest of it
02.09.2006 - 01:51
DeadlySinner
Account deleted
i don't think it's even comparable
it's like comparing the influance of jesus and michael palin
kinda
02.09.2006 - 02:55
Baz Anderson
Staff
i think i am going to vow to never look in this thread again. well unless i get quoted or whatever
arrgh!!
the ignorance
02.09.2006 - 08:22
ironman2002
Of course Judas. "Stained Class" and "Hell Bent For Leather" captured the metal scene before all other British band of that time did it.
05.09.2006 - 02:06
Dam3k
Written by Baz Anderson on 17.08.2006 at 21:07

a year or two apart? the first Judas Priest album was SIX years before the first Iron Maiden one..
i am not saying Judas Priest directly influenced everything Iron Maiden did - but they did influence them, they had been around five albums worth before them!
when Iron Maiden started up - Judas Priest accused them of copying them in ways..

this poll just shows how uneducated people are about Judas Priest even though they still say they 'respect' them and all the rest of it

ehmm dude... don't be narrow-minded I said IMO Judas Priest didn't influenced Iron Maiden, I think they are way different in their style... but that doesn't mean I'm saying Judas Priest weren't influential in fact I've voted I can't decide...
----

06.09.2006 - 13:17
jawbreaker
Judas Priest is a way better band than Maiden....I think that Maiden is over-rated and Priest is under-rated....shit Sad Wings Of Destiny and British Steel changed the world....at the beggining Maiden was great too, but their are still making this commercial crap....it's all the same stuff....Priest are always doing something new: Turbo, Painkiller, Demolition, and now this new epical project....I think that hardcore Maiden fans doesn't understand such great music (bands) like Zeppelin, Sabbath, Priest....this kind of music is very deep...