Metal Storm logo
Favorite "Fusion Genre"

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 05.11.2007 - 22:16
Well, there are lots and LOTS of fusion genres, or genre combinations, in metal as we all know....

I thought it would be interesting to see which ones were the most popular amongst metalstormers. As I said, there are quite a bunch of them, so of course I could not list them all in the poll. If your favorite "fusion genre" is not listed in the poll and you are forced to choose the "other" option, do not hesitate. Please let us know in your post what your favorite is!

Personally, I have to choose death/thrash. I love bands like Demolition Hammer and Protector....and I would say Morbid Saint but people will start arguing again so I won't. I also like a lot of black/thrash like Toxic Holocaust, Witchery, Gospel of the Horns and Absu.

Stay heavy.

Poll

What is your favorite "fusion genre"?

Other (there are of course many more)
Progressive/death or Progressive/viking
Death/doom
Death/thrash or Black/thrash
Power/speed or Power/thrash
Folk/black
Black/death
Death/grind
Sludge/thrash

Total votes: 136
31.05.2010 - 04:15
whatsacow
Either death/doom or folk/death. I love the combination of violins and acoustic guitars combined with gutteral growling
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
01.06.2010 - 07:51
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I guess any band from any genre who chooses to introduce Industrial elements in their music already reachs the top of my list.

Industrial/Black especially sounds really good.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
08.06.2010 - 02:18
Kennoth
Is melodic death a fusion genre? I'd say yes, and if yes, then that's my favorite.

Also, couldn't help not to notice that most of the fusion genres above are all revolving around trash, black or death.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
09.06.2010 - 18:09
Malevolent-Jim
Symphonic/Power or Symphonic/Black for me.
13.06.2010 - 08:25
SerratedSyringe
Industrial/Black by far. (It's uncanny how similar the genres are when you take away the music.) Next would be Grind/Black, then Black/Thrash.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
13.06.2010 - 18:31
Kennoth
Written by SerratedSyringe on 13.06.2010 at 08:25

It's uncanny how similar the genres are when you take away the music.

I've seriously tried to understand this, but I just keep staring at it in the WTF manner.
----
13.06.2010 - 19:15
Ragana
Rawrcat
Death/Doom, Industrial/Black.
13.06.2010 - 20:26
Numbskull
Death Doom ....because Doom makes everything better. Keep it heavy!
13.06.2010 - 21:18
SerratedSyringe
Written by Kennoth on 13.06.2010 at 18:31

Written by SerratedSyringe on 13.06.2010 at 08:25

It's uncanny how similar the genres are when you take away the music.

I've seriously tried to understand this, but I just keep staring at it in the WTF manner.

I mean if you take away the music and look at lyrical content, aestetic, attitude, and atmosphere of industrial music and black metal they are very similar, so it is natural that eventually the music would merge.
----
14.06.2010 - 00:49
Kennoth
Hmm, I didn't really notice any similarities. At all to be honest.
----
17.06.2010 - 22:55
SerratedSyringe
Written by Kennoth on 14.06.2010 at 00:49

Hmm, I didn't really notice any similarities. At all to be honest.

I don't mean comparing black metal to industrial metal. I mean comparing it to the whole Industrial genre. Both focus on anit-religion, misanthropy, distopian societies, etc. Also the aestetic is similar: all black, large boots, bullet belts, trench coats, etc. also, facepaint isn't unusual in industrial culture.
----
21.02.2011 - 18:00
3rdWorldFuckFace
Account deleted
Progressive Blackened Sludge Metal
22.02.2011 - 00:48
Luneth
Account deleted
Symphonic Black all the way.
27.02.2011 - 22:05
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Well, my actual favorite would be post neo progressive blackened power metal with shoegaze influences and just a hint of african tribal. But on the list, I'd have to go with black/thrash. Pure black metal can be very boring and repetitive, but when fused with a dose of power thrashing death destroys all in its path
27.02.2011 - 22:18
RavenKing
I voted Death/Thrash or Black/Thrash, since they're the only genres I like in the list.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
27.02.2011 - 22:32
Wyrd
Symphonic Black/ Progrissive Death/Power for me
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
27.02.2011 - 22:44
RavenKing
Not sure if I'm right to think like that but, Imo, 'symphonic something' is not a fusion genre.
It only means that a band adds symphonic elements to their music. It's not a mix of two or more different genres, especially as symphonic metal is not a genre in itself and symphonic stuff can be found in pretty much every genre nowadays.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
27.02.2011 - 23:16
Aeonfrost
I guess its melo death, although its not on the list.Since, thats the case death/thrash or folk black for me.
09.03.2011 - 01:21
IronAngel
I don't know. I like it when bands mix sludge with post-hardcore to do that "post-metal" thing. Mixing drone and ambient with metal (doom or black) is cool too. That whole shoegaze/BM hipster thing is also wonderful. Folk metal is usually better when the folk is mixed with power or heavy metal. From the list, I'd go with death/doom because as Numbskull said, doom makes everything better.
13.03.2011 - 22:07
TrollandDie
A bit of progressive/death is pretty good when executed right.

Of course the huge variety you get from fusion genres is one of the main reasons I love metal so friggin much!
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
29.06.2011 - 16:21
Aristarchos
Terrorizer is the only true grind band that I like. Lykathea aflame has some grind elements too.
29.06.2011 - 21:12
Metal_4Ever
Written by Malevolent-Jim on 09.06.2010 at 18:09

Symphonic/Power or Symphonic/Black for me.

Agreed
23.07.2011 - 16:32
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Death doom for Autopsy's Mental Funeral.
14.09.2011 - 11:34
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I'm with Malevolent-Jim and Metal_4Ever. Symphonic Power and Symphonic Black are my favs.
Does anyone play a mix of both?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
15.09.2011 - 03:59
Blackened death metal like Blasphemy, Behemoth, early Darkthrone, or Belphegor, or blackened thrash like Sarcofago, Sodom, or Venom

Written by M C Vice on 14.09.2011 at 11:34

I'm with Malevolent-Jim and Metal_4Ever. Symphonic Power and Symphonic Black are my favs.

Well, you could check out newer Dimmu Borgir.
15.09.2011 - 11:36
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by NecroCorpSlayer on 15.09.2011 at 03:59

Blackened death metal like Blasphemy, Behemoth, early Darkthrone, or Belphegor, or blackened thrash like Sarcofago, Sodom, or Venom

Written by M C Vice on 14.09.2011 at 11:34

Well, you could check out newer Dimmu Borgir.

I've got Enthrone Darkness Triumphant throuth to Abrahadabra. Their not really power, though. And they're really missing Mustis and Vortex on Abrahadabra.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
05.10.2011 - 22:01
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Whatever Immortal do on their later efforts. You might call it blackened thrash, but IMO it's melodic thrashy black.
And Folk/Black too.
07.10.2011 - 02:01
Mattybu
Jazz death metal for me, Atheist and Cynic are plenty enough reason.
07.10.2011 - 17:57
JD
Account deleted
Written by Mattybu on 07.10.2011 at 02:01

Jazz death metal for me, Atheist and Cynic are plenty enough reason.

[Like]
15.10.2011 - 03:30
Folk/black.
Those two genres just sound so.... right together.
----
Heavy metal is the 666th element in the periodic table of mixology.
Heavy metal is the heaviest of the metals, even heavier than rock.
Here are the isotopes: Iron Maidenium - Panterium - King Diamondium - Hendrixium -
Megadethium - Sabbathium