Metal Storm logo
Nevermore

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 10:54
"Seattle's NEVERMORE welcome you to "This Godless Endeavor", a grand overture where musical tapestries are fascinatingly complex while entirely accessible. The band's sixth full-length marks another peak in NEVERMORE's rapid ascend in the Metal scene and falls into line with its highly acclaimed predecessors. The first of which being the self-titled debut album released in 1995, one year after the official foundation of the band by former SANCTUARY members Warrel Dane (vocals), Jeff Loomis (guitar) and Jim Sheppard (bass). By adding drummer Van Williams the nucleus of NEVERMORE was born. Though at that time the world all-to-willingly embraced the Grunge-movement, the band dared to continue their vision for a creative and multi-faceted Metal sound. The internationally reputed producer Neil Kernon (Queensryche, Judas Priest, Flotsam & Jetsam, Yes, Rolling Stones, Journey) believed in the potential of NEVERMORE and recorded their impressive debut at his own risk. It did not take too long until the quartet was signed to Century Media Records and due to the fans' pleasant memories of SANCTUARY, and NEVERMORE's touring activities (Europe with Blind Guardian, US with Death) they could raise a good amount of interest throughout the Metal scene and found a lot of thankful purchasers.

The follow-up "In Memory" EP (1996) and the second album "The Politics Of Ecstasy" (1996) displayed NEVERMORE on their quest for their very own, unmistakable sound. The band experimented with a whole lot of influences from various styles and impressed with a great degree of highly-technical finesse that never endangered the catchiness of the songs. Still, NEVERMORE never wrote songs that easily stuck in your head, even though they're nowhere near as complicated as an Ikea construction manual, resulting in listeners giving their albums four or five runs before the variety of each song becomes obvious.

After "The Politics Of Ecstasy" the band parted ways with their second guitarist Pat O'Brien (now in Cannibal Corpse) and it took them almost a year until they found former Forbidden-member Tim Calvert to fill the vacant spot. With this line-up they recorded the masterly "Dreaming Neon Black" (1999) which showed the perfect balance between all the different components of the NEVERMORE sound. There were small, complex mini-dramas as well as super-tight thrashers and quiet, emotional tunes opposed to angry noise eruptions. NEVERMORE managed to create an album equipped with numerous non-metal trademarks which sound appealing to the usually very sensitively reacting true metal community. Or maybe it was still metal enough that it could not even upset the die-hard purists? Anyway, it is a matter of fact that the career of our five heroes just went straight up. Seemingly endless, but still extremely successful tours followed the release, the US was toured not less than four times, Europe was frequently visited (with LeFay - now Morgana Lefay again -, Sacred Steel, Nocturnal Rites) and they even stopped in Australia for a number of shows. After all, guitarist Tim Calvert decided to leave the band in early 2000 to focus on non-musical activities. The remaining band members decided to carry on as a four-piece and did not hesitate to start recording their fourth album "Dead Heart In A Dead World (2000)". For the first time not Neil Kernon but Andy Sneap (Machine Head, Testament, Skinlab, Napalm Death, Stuck Mojo) worked the knobs and moved especially Loomis "skin-flaying" guitar play to the production's forefront. Again tireless world touring followed and turned songs like "Narcosynthesis" and "Inside Four Walls" into anthemic fan favorites. German Rock Hard magazine stated fittingly: "This is the masterpiece of one of the most talented bands in present time".

2003's Enemies Of Reality received similar praise: "must have album of the year" said Outburn Magazine, Guitar One called NEVERMORE's newest songs "opuses that often reach dark symphonic peaks". With performing at Europe's largest rock festivals including the infamous Dynamo, the prestigious Wacken Open Air and sharing stage with metal's elite including Arch Enemy, Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Iced Earth, King Diamond and Opeth throughout their recording career NEVERMORE could manifest the high position they deservedly occupy within the metal scene.

Now, in 2005, "This Godless Endeavor" is the title of the band's latest work to date and was recorded at England's Backstage Studios, once again with Andy Sneap (who not only produced "Dead Heart In A Dead World" but also just recently re-worked "Enemies Of Reality"). "This Godless Endeavor" captures "the most ripping guitar work we've recorded", says vocalist Warrel Dane. Marking his NEVERMORE recording debut, guitarist Steve Smyth (ex-Testament/Dragonlord) joins core members Dane, Jeff Loomis, Jim Sheppard and Van Williams. Hugh Syme (Rush, Megadeth) provided stark album artwork, which according to Dane, "incorporates our ongoing theme of everyone wearing a mask." Appearing on the mainstage of Megadeth's Gigantour throughout the summer as well as moving over to Europe for a string of summer festivals and a full club-tour by September, NEVERMORE ask you to venture out, to experience the unfathomable, to join them on This Godless Endeavor. An album determined to become a future classic of the metal movement? "

Nevermore is:
Warrel Dane - vocals
Jeff Loomis - lead, rhythmn and acoustic guitars
Steve Smyth - lead, rhythmn and acoustic guitars
Jim Sheppard - bass
Van Williams - drums

08.09.2006 - 02:12
Hermanubis
Account deleted
"had you ever tried to become fan of a band again and again??? something like that happened with me and Nevermore... After reading awesome shit about them, I checked their stuff and could't really enjoy it, but somehow I re-tried with the feeling that "damn, I know this is good but somehow I can't like it"... I finally gave up... "

Yeah, but you also have to realise that you shouldnt force yourself to like a band.
12.09.2006 - 23:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Is it just me or is Van Williams one of the most underrated drummers in metal?
13.09.2006 - 02:25
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Dangerboner on 12.09.2006 at 23:57

I must agree. Talk about this man has been non-existent in this forum until you made your comment. The drumming this man comes up with is killer. I love his double bass patterns. He is one of the most skilled drummers in Metal.
----
The force will be with you, always.
13.09.2006 - 07:32
MetalSpider
He is most definitely underrated. That man can definitely play the drums very well. I also love the way he uses the double bass.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
13.09.2006 - 08:07
Winter Death
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 13.09.2006 at 02:25

Written by Dangerboner on 12.09.2006 at 23:57

I must agree. Talk about this man has been non-existent in this forum until you made your comment. The drumming this man comes up with is killer. I love his double bass patterns. He is one of the most skilled drummers in Metal.

I was just thinking about this today. His double bass patterns are unique and utterly intense. The song "Born" has been in my head all day, and that bass drumming gets me every time. Oh how I love it. And yes, the man is underrated.
13.09.2006 - 21:26
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
ok, so I have listened to Dreaming Neon Black a few times now, and I must admit I am quite disappointed.

From the three I own (This Godless Endeavor, The Politics Of Ecstasy & Dreaming Neon Black) it is without doubt the worst.

I wonder if this because I am used to such brilliancy, so I ask you: Is it bad? Or am I expecting to much?

Any opinions on this?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
13.09.2006 - 23:34
MetalSpider
Really for me, their best albums are their last 3 (though Politics is also great). I still like Dreaming Neon Black but its not as good as the others.
----

14.09.2006 - 01:47
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Lucas on 13.09.2006 at 21:26

ok, so I have listened to Dreaming Neon Black a few times now, and I must admit I am quite disappointed.

From the three I own (This Godless Endeavor, The Politics Of Ecstasy & Dreaming Neon Black) it is without doubt the worst.

I wonder if this because I am used to such brilliancy, so I ask you: Is it bad? Or am I expecting to much?

Any opinions on this?

Dreaming Neon Black is one of their slower albums, but I think it is still a great album, maybe even better than Politics of Ecstasy. It's a very passionate concept album...almost creepy. However, for a more intense album you might want to check out Dead Heart in a Dead World. That album is my favorite of theirs. I even think it's better than their masterpiece, This Godless Endeavor.
14.09.2006 - 20:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Ok, thank you. But, in song 9 I believe, Warrel seems to go all wrong in his singing. It is only two seconds perhaps, but he sounds as sucky as a crow. Do you know what part I am talking about?
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.09.2006 - 19:11
rebelos
Account deleted
every but every song in DNB is amazing!!!!
i loooooove the whole album... i don't believe you actually think it is worster than TPOE
16.09.2006 - 01:32
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
haha...worster.
16.09.2006 - 12:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
worster.. lol.. sorry, but it is worse.

Anyway, it might be me. TGE was the first album I heard of them, so that might explain why it is my favorite. But with DNB.. it didn't connect. (yet)
----

16.09.2006 - 20:25
rebelos
Account deleted
of course!!!
DNB was written for the loss of a Friend of Warrel! the album is kinda depresive!! but still it has some preety heavy parts like Falt Of The Flesh, Beyond Within and I Am The Dog in songs like Forever, Lotus Eaters you actually HAVE to cry anyway to me it is a masterpiece... just give it another try later maybe... i can't believe you actually like TBE and you don't like DNB
21.09.2006 - 07:32
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Has anyone taken the time to read their lyrics? I find them to be very artistic, even though they can be hard to understand due to the amount of abstract symbolism.
21.09.2006 - 08:42
Winter Death
Account deleted
^^^ Half of what makes Nevermore so great is the lyrics. It seems like a lot bands create lyrics as an afterthought to the music. With Nevermore, one finds intelligence on all fronts: technically, emotionally, compositionally, and lyrically. Intelligent lyrics...what a concept.
21.09.2006 - 17:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yes, I agree here. The lyrics are among the best.

I shall listen to it again. And, I hope that I shall win 'Dead Heart In A Dead World' tomorrow off E-Bay.
----

21.09.2006 - 23:51
rebelos
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 21.09.2006 at 07:32

Has anyone taken the time to read their lyrics? I find them to be very artistic, even though they can be hard to understand due to the amount of abstract symbolism.

well, Warell studied philosophie... maybe that why the lyrics are really amazing!!
22.09.2006 - 01:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Oh, I didn't know that he studied philosophy. It makes sense though. I kinda wish that Warrell would put down explanations in the booklet to explain what the lyrics mean, but at the same time I'm glad he doesn't because since sometimes the lyrics are either vague or abstract, it lets the listener interpret them in their own way.

I especially like how I, Voyager rhymes.
22.09.2006 - 01:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dont think them lyrics re amazing, ok its good for thrash and similar, but only one lyric what I enjoy are ''Enemies of Reality'' I like more DOOM, gothic and Black metal lyrics

but i like band band ar egood and i like that kind a thrash metal, I prefere old school bay area from 80ties but from 90ties better nevermore how bay area bands in nowdays
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.09.2006 - 17:33
rebelos
Account deleted
@pyroleprechaun

yeah i definetely agree to that... some things need to be explained but sometimes i like that mystery behind the phrases
22.09.2006 - 20:57
MetalSpider
Normally I dont care about lyrics, I care more about the music, however I personally find Nevermore to have excellent lyrics.
----

13.10.2006 - 17:42
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Nevermore has been on my want-list for a long time and yesterday I finally got (read: downloaded) "This Godless Endeavor".
I listened 4 times to it now and I must agree, this truely is a masterpiece. The sound is very intense and powerful and by times very melodic, most riffs are complex and genius and vocals are very different through the songs ('Born' versus 'Sentient 6' ). I must admit Warrel Dane is a terrific vocalist.
Terrific and highly enjoyable album, that's for sure!
----
Your favorite band sucks.
13.10.2006 - 22:11
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
So get out and buy it!

I am getting my 5th and 6th albums soon.

I'm talking about 'In Memory' (digi) and 'Nevermore'. Only 'Enemies of Reality' and my collection is complete. Hurray ho!
----

14.10.2006 - 05:21
Winter Death
Account deleted
^^^ "Enemies of Reality" is a great fucking album.

Have you guys heard that the band just recorded a dvd concert in Germany? Or was it Belgium? Fuck, I don't remember. Either way it's good news.
14.10.2006 - 07:52
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
That DVD covers shows from all around the world, apparantely. From what I understand, most of it is in Europe, but they recorded a bit in Seattle. I was there.
14.10.2006 - 10:48
Winter Death
Account deleted
Oh really? I must have misread something.

This is what threw me off: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=60208

I missed the part about the Seattle shoot.
15.10.2006 - 02:29
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I honestly don't see them using very much material from the Seattle show because they only had one camera man to the side of the venue and his video camera looked pretty cheap to me. What I'm guessing they will do is throw in 2 or 3 songs from the Seattle show as a small part of the bonus features and just use the Germany show as the main feature. I also heard something about them filming in Greece too, but I'm not sure.
18.10.2006 - 17:33
rebelos
Account deleted
they recorded the show i was in Athens!!!

i am sure the DVD is going to be awesome
28.11.2006 - 07:19
crown
Account deleted
I don't know much about this band except that I heard
Dreaming Neon Black a long time ago, and recently I got my hands on that ton of lead they named This Godless Endeavour.
Fuck.....
Nice band. Real Nice....
These guys are the only ones I know that can give Testament a run for their money.
28.11.2006 - 16:01
Sunioj
Im in love with this band, I dont usually give to farts over lyrics, but Danes voice is ecstatic, and his lyrics are amazing. not to mention the band is so consistent with writing good songs, they are really amazing.