Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest more influential?

Original post

Posted by Dam3k, 01.06.2006 - 00:14
Well there are two of the most importants bands of all time in the metal scene, but which one do u think is more influential? Give reasons and explain. I think Judas Priest has been more influential in the US metal than in the european one, on the other hand I've been noticed about lot of european bands with influence of Iron Maiden, so I can't decide =). Well... maybe this two bands haven't been very influential for death metal or black metal bands but IMO they've been in thrash, power, progressive and heavy even hard rock. Choose one!!

Poll

Which band do u think has been more influential 4 metal scene??

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Can't decide

Total votes: 457
06.09.2006 - 22:50
Dam3k
Written by jawbreaker on 06.09.2006 at 13:17

Judas Priest is a way better band than Maiden....I think that Maiden is over-rated and Priest is under-rated....shit Sad Wings Of Destiny and British Steel changed the world....at the beggining Maiden was great too, but their are still making this commercial crap....it's all the same stuff....Priest are always doing something new: Turbo, Painkiller, Demolition, and now this new epical project....I think that hardcore Maiden fans doesn't understand such great music (bands) like Zeppelin, Sabbath, Priest....this kind of music is very deep...

100% subjective and not very related to the topic indeed
----

07.09.2006 - 03:07
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I say tie break.

Iron Maiden started power metal style to the some point
Judas Priest started heavier stuff
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
08.09.2006 - 18:26
rebelos
Account deleted
Judas Priest! because IMO make better music, never had a bad album and they started the whole attitude of leather and spikes!
16.09.2006 - 11:21
Slayertplsko
Account deleted
Of course Judas Priest. Let set a question: What would happen if you deleted JP from metal history? And What would happen if you deleted The Maiden?
Well if you deleted JP there would be no Maiden and maybe metal would never become popular and if you deleted maiden...yes...it would be diffenrent but heavy metal would exist!!!
And then...excluding albums IM and Killers, their music is almost the same throughout...i see no developement through TWENTY years, while if you listen just to The Priest newest Angel Of Retribution you can see very different songs in just one fuckin album!!!
And you hardcore maiden fans - don't vote if you don't know what The Priest is!!!
16.09.2006 - 11:28
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by [user id=16411] on 16.09.2006 at 11:21

Of course Judas Priest. Let set a question: What would happen if you deleted JP from metal history? And What would happen if you deleted The Maiden?
Well if you deleted JP there would be no Maiden and maybe metal would never become popular and if you deleted maiden...yes...it would be diffenrent but heavy metal would exist!!!
And then...excluding albums IM and Killers, their music is almost the same throughout...i see no developement through TWENTY years, while if you listen just to The Priest newest Angel Of Retribution you can see very different songs in just one fuckin album!!!
And you hardcore maiden fans - don't vote if you don't know what The Priest is!!!

Wow, that was pretty harsh ... no development for Iron Maiden through their 25 years. Have you even heard the albums after Killers?
----
16.09.2006 - 11:38
Slayertplsko
Account deleted
Warman:
Of course, every album excpet the blaze years. Well...yes a little experimentation is there - adding keyboards in 7th son and more mainstream songs 'Wasted Years' and 'Reach Out'...but if you can see some then please remind me...maybe i haven't heard some...
16.09.2006 - 12:13
Slayertplsko
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 16.09.2006 at 11:28

Wow, that was pretty harsh ... no development for Iron Maiden through their 25 years. Have you even heard the albums after Killers?

Well if you don' mind I would ask you the same question - What Priest stuff have you heard???
16.09.2006 - 18:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by [user id=16411] on 16.09.2006 at 12:13

Written by Warman on 16.09.2006 at 11:28

Well if you don' mind I would ask you the same question - What Priest stuff have you heard???

I never said that Judas Priest has never developed their music.
----
16.09.2006 - 22:48
?Bodomchild?
Wow....well IMO Maiden cuz im a Maiden fan much more than Judas Priest but both are such one of the most iinfluencial bands i think....but iv see more tributes to Maiden tha Priest....IMO and one cuold be nfluencial in one genre and the other in a other genre cuz to me Iron Maiden and Judas Prieast arent of the same genre....so they are influencial in many ways but really i keep with Iron Maiden but im not saying Judas Priest arent
----
asd
21.09.2006 - 00:14
Dam3k

Well dude I must say that's 100% false... if Judas Priest wouldn't exist metal would exist and would be same successful as it has been and if u delete Iron Maiden would be the same... so... anyway that's not relevant cuz that could not happend so... take a look at the reality.
Both bands IMO have consolidated metal and developed it... equally
----

21.09.2006 - 21:36
DLMokoma
Account deleted
I prefer Maiden in this one.. Just when you look around, you see it. But I definetly don't mean that Judas wouldn't be influental.
28.09.2006 - 06:50
IrOnRoSeS
Account deleted
As far as I see it on nowadays bands... i think Iron Maiden is/was more influential than Judas Priest.
Why? Well, the guitar harmonys are a great example and the whole galloping Iron Maiden sound...Iced Earth, for example, has got a lot of Iron Maiden influence in their guitar work, even schaffer states it.And you can call me crazy but i think that a lot of (old) In Flames songs sound very "Maidenish",in the way of how melody develops or the riffs, obviously except for the voice.At least guitarwise, i think that Maiden is more influential than Judas
11.11.2006 - 08:48
homas
Account deleted
I think Iron Maiden is more influential than Judas Priest , beause it covers more styles than the latter .
Iron Maiden's influence consists of power,progressive,doom,gothic,symphonic,melodic,industrial and even black metal while Judas Priest's influence consists of speed,thrash metal and hard rock,in my opinion .
14.11.2006 - 19:24
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
First Of All,Maiden and judas priest ..both are the most important bands of all time in the metal scene...
they shouldn't be compared !!.....but remember,maiden has its unique style and the melody part in each song makes u feel great....some say maiden has the same style in each song..but in my opinion that is the coolest part .....changing the styles doesn't mean every song will be good...composition should be good.
Just check the songs of maiden!! Among 100% songs 99% are extremly good!!!
By the way..maiden is not over-rated...the band is itself great and many other bandfans become jealous..haha..really!!
UP THE MAIDENS!!!
14.11.2006 - 23:46
Dam3k
Written by [user id=17724] on 14.11.2006 at 19:24

First Of All,Maiden and judas priest ..both are the most important bands of all time in the metal scene...
they shouldn't be compared !!.....but remember,maiden has its unique style and the melody part in each song makes u feel great....some say maiden has the same style in each song..but in my opinion that is the coolest part .....changing the styles doesn't mean every song will be good...composition should be good.
Just check the songs of maiden!! Among 100% songs 99% are extremly good!!!
By the way..maiden is not over-rated...the band is itself great and many other bandfans become jealous..haha..really!!
UP THE MAIDENS!!!

so what's ur conclution which one is more influential u just said u love Iron Maiden, remember this thread is about the INFFLUENCE not about which one u like more or not... I like more Maiden but I think both are equally influential... =)
----

15.11.2006 - 13:32
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Although i have chosen the Maidens, both these bands are senior and influencial in the metal scene, (i'm not talking about extreme metal)am i wrong? So, i think it is not good to make a comparison between these bands, although i like both of their music.
both these bands have their unique style and sound.In fact , both these bands are influencial in their genre.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
18.11.2006 - 11:42
Eight
Shapeshifter
Iron Maiden, i really don't find Priest that influential, or even good.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
19.11.2006 - 13:17
Hyvaarin
Priest brought the two lead guitar thing to metal, wrote about themes that would later become a huge part of the genre, and invented the leather-and-studs image. To say that they're not that influential is, frankly, incorrect.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
20.11.2006 - 18:02
deadheart
Account deleted
IM Is Better than judaspriest.Their music is much listenable than JP.IM is not comparable to any other band.
Other bands are compared to ironmaiden.:banger2:
20.11.2006 - 18:12
Vidrageon
Account deleted
While I find Iron Maiden one of the most boring bands in existence, I cannot doubt the influence they've had, which narrowly edges out Judas Priest's influence.
20.11.2006 - 18:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
70s priest vs 80s maiden= maiden total ownage, but you have to think that 70s priest influenced 80s maiden a whole lot. i voted maiden 2 pages ago, but now i have totally changed my mind. just listen to "rock forever"- it sounds so much like a women in uniform-period song from maiden! also when i listen to the ripper(unleashed version), at the 1:40 and 2:10 marks guess who i hear? dave lombardo!
maiden, being the "crown jewel" of the nwobhm scene, has had a large influence on metal, but really, there are bands at least as influential as maiden, like slayer or death had the impact on the death metal scene
23.11.2006 - 05:30
devildriver86
both bands are really great im a huge fan of both JP and Iron Maiden both bands were very influencial to the metal industury but IMO i would have to say that i would go with Iron Maiden with there vocals bc bruce has a great voice and so did there other vocalist but i would have to go with JP in guitar work i just think that JP has alot of great solos yes Maiden is very good on their guitar work but jP has them beat there so i would have to say that neither was more influencial bc without either bands the metal industry woulnt be the same so in stead of saying one band is better then the other u have to single every thing out and see that it was both bands that made a contriution to the metal industry
25.11.2006 - 17:58
George Iron
Account deleted
i don't believe that iron maiden wins judas priest.....
u realy don't know about metal.if u could imagine the metal without priest there wouldn't be metal but just music priest made the metal imagine with spikes with leather with silver.and just thing how many bands has the same sound as priest primal fear , ratt and iron maiden so how can son beat his father.
and who did the topic so fooly how can a band from a 1969 "fight" with a band from 1980?
25.11.2006 - 20:05
RavenLord
Written by [user id=16411] on 16.09.2006 at 11:38

Warman:
Of course, every album excpet the blaze years. Well...yes a little experimentation is there - adding keyboards in 7th son and more mainstream songs 'Wasted Years' and 'Reach Out'...but if you can see some then please remind me...maybe i haven't heard some...

Let me enlighten you:

Self-titled->Killers: Aggressive, slightly punk-influenced NOWBHM. Rough production, raw vocals and developing riff structure

Number of the Beast->Powerslave: The 'classic' era. High pitched vocals, galloping bass and twin guitars

Somewhere in Time -> Seventh Son: More experimental. Keyboard synths, more progression in the songs...and slightly less gallop from time to time

No Prayer For the Dying -> Fear of the Dark: Bordering on Hard Rock, but with some classics such as 'Fear of the Dark'. Development of the classic Maiden 'lilting' acoustic intro

The X Factor: Much darker, introspective music. Extensive use of synths and slow sections to introduce songs.

Virtual XI: A combination of the darker material found on TXF with the classic maiden style: mid-paced and with lots of acoustic sections

Brave New World -> A Matter of Life and Death: A combination of the slower 'epics' and the faster 'gallopers' (which were also found during the period 1991-98).

THAT is how Maiden's sound has progressed.

Also, a lot of people seem to be making comments based on which band they prefer musically. That is NOT what the question is. The question is 'Which band has been more influential?', not 'Which is the better band?'. While it cannot be denied that Iron Maiden had a substanial impact on the metal scene today (simply look at the number of bands covering their music), influencing many Melodic Death, Speed and Power metal bands, Priest's affirmation of Speed Metal swings the balance in their favour slightly. On the overall metal scene, Iron Maiden have had much more of an impact. In Speed (and consequently, Thrash, then Death, then Black) metal, however, Priest have had much more of an impact. I abstain.
----
27.11.2006 - 16:35
Dam3k
Written by RavenLord on 25.11.2006 at 20:05

Written by [user id=16411] on 16.09.2006 at 11:38

Warman:

Let me enlighten you:

Self-titled->Killers: Aggressive, slightly punk-influenced NOWBHM. Rough production, raw vocals and developing riff structure

Number of the Beast->Powerslave: The 'classic' era. High pitched vocals, galloping bass and twin guitars

Somewhere in Time -> Seventh Son: More experimental. Keyboard synths, more progression in the songs...and slightly less gallop from time to time

No Prayer For the Dying -> Fear of the Dark: Bordering on Hard Rock, but with some classics such as 'Fear of the Dark'. Development of the classic Maiden 'lilting' acoustic intro

The X Factor: Much darker, introspective music. Extensive use of synths and slow sections to introduce songs.

Virtual XI: A combination of the darker material found on TXF with the classic maiden style: mid-paced and with lots of acoustic sections

Brave New World -> A Matter of Life and Death: A combination of the slower 'epics' and the faster 'gallopers' (which were also found during the period 1991-98).

THAT is how Maiden's sound has progressed.

Also, a lot of people seem to be making comments based on which band they prefer musically. That is NOT what the question is. The question is 'Which band has been more influential?', not 'Which is the better band?'. While it cannot be denied that Iron Maiden had a substanial impact on the metal scene today (simply look at the number of bands covering their music), influencing many Melodic Death, Speed and Power metal bands, Priest's affirmation of Speed Metal swings the balance in their favour slightly. On the overall metal scene, Iron Maiden have had much more of an impact. In Speed (and consequently, Thrash, then Death, then Black) metal, however, Priest have had much more of an impact. I abstain.

You rock dude! u are one of the few who has understand what this thing is about!!! INFLUENCE =), it's pretty curious most of people who has understood the question said draw...
----

27.11.2006 - 18:38
RavenLord
Written by Dam3k on 27.11.2006 at 16:35

You rock dude! u are one of the few who has understand what this thing is about!!! INFLUENCE =), it's pretty curious most of people who has understood the question said draw...

Cheers. I could have gone into Judas Priest's vast range of material, but I'm not as comfortable with their styles as Maiden (I don't have many Priest albums). However, while Priest may have ranged further afield in their career, it also damages their image slightly. Not in the sense that I hate Point of Entry or anything (I actually love that album!), but they've been less focussed, if you catch my drift. Not that that's a bad thing, but it does affect the extent to which one can estimate their influence on genre x or band y. I feel that both bands have been instrumental in helping metal, though; Maiden would never have got (say) the Soundhouse Tapes recorded if Priest had not been paving the ground with stuff like Stained Class and Unleashed in the East. Conversely, Maiden's spectacular rise to fame certainly helped Priest, as part of 80's metal rising in popularity, to have the courage to try their hand at hair metal a la Turbo and Point of Entry. It no doubt brought Priest a lot more fans, by way of Maiden heads who were recommended Priest. Whether that is just or not is irrelevent, but both bands have a lot to thank each other for.

...which doesn't really address the notion of influence on the scene, though.... :p
----
28.11.2006 - 00:05
dannay
Account deleted
to all of you thick-headed fools who are CONCENTRATED on remaining loyal to Judas Priest:

i agree with most of you with one point: JP is the BETTER band. However, then question was "which band is more influencial". I mean, Maiden influenced like, what, at least 50% of good metal around today...

judas priest still pwns though.
29.11.2006 - 13:49
HeathenBlood
Account deleted

Yes!!! Warman is right!!!
Really...have to listened the albums of maiden after killers?...they are more killer than the previous one..
29.11.2006 - 13:59
HeathenBlood
Account deleted

Really...have to listened the albums of maiden after killers?...they are more killer than the previous one..
29.11.2006 - 13:59
HeathenBlood
Account deleted