Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest more influential?

Original post

Posted by Dam3k, 01.06.2006 - 00:14
Well there are two of the most importants bands of all time in the metal scene, but which one do u think is more influential? Give reasons and explain. I think Judas Priest has been more influential in the US metal than in the european one, on the other hand I've been noticed about lot of european bands with influence of Iron Maiden, so I can't decide =). Well... maybe this two bands haven't been very influential for death metal or black metal bands but IMO they've been in thrash, power, progressive and heavy even hard rock. Choose one!!

Poll

Which band do u think has been more influential 4 metal scene??

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Can't decide

Total votes: 457
07.12.2006 - 05:55
Stuff1056
Account deleted
Iron Maiden is more popular, but Judas Priest defined Heavy Metal. In 1978, when they released "Stained Class", they had completely eliminated the blues influence from their music and created something totally new: metal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Exciter is the first song to have heavy double bass drumming in it along with fast riffage and lots of solos and thus it is the first "true" metal song (in my opinion).
07.12.2006 - 08:35
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Finally got to post and I obviously voted for Judas Preist as mentioned in my previous post a few pages back.
19.12.2006 - 00:59
Metalknight781
Account deleted
I'm a fan of both but, Iron maiden is my favorite of the two, so they have my vote.
19.12.2006 - 02:29
morbid_freak
Account deleted
Juda Priest in my opinion is more influential in metal, Without Judas there wouldn't be half the bands that are here today.
21.12.2006 - 15:57
MeGaDeTh_fReAk
both of them are influential and great bands really hard decision
21.12.2006 - 20:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
the song "stained class" by judas priest TOTALLY SCREAMS iron maiden
22.12.2006 - 19:40
RavenLord
Written by Demonizer on 03.06.2006 at 18:50

Let's see...Judas Priest used high pitched vocals, was the first heavy rock band that had 2 lead guitar player (they invented dual leads!!), had heavy double kick drums...they were way more inflential than Maiden!!maiden is just more know and popular then Priest...that's how I figure it

btw the entire Maiden songwriting style was based on Judas Priest's Stained Class song...think about it..

Actually, the dual lead was led by Wishbone Ash and Thin Lizzy, not Judas Priest. And as for your later comment about Priest influencing Maiden's appearance, Maiden used spandex in their early years, Priest used leather. And Bruce Dickinson didn't have a camp stage personality, did he? :p
----
23.12.2006 - 09:34
Murder
I voted for Judas Priest, they're older than Maiden and have more influence (this is my own opinion) in Metal. They started to play metal... they defined the Heavy Metal and give a great revolution to the rock.
Altough Maiden it's a great band too... i like both so much...
29.01.2007 - 16:22
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
2 months ago I've Voted Iron Maiden ..I was a great of IronMaiden...I've listened a little songs of Priests...I and Dam3k also had a little discussion on this topic ...I still remember...

Now Its been nearly 1 month i've been listening to Judas Priest....Now I understood What Dam3k meant for Priest..
Now I think Judas Priest is better..They have created masterpiece songs..They were before Iron Maiden..And they are the one who've created the true and modern heavy metal sound..
Iron Maiden and Judas Priest..Both are excellent band...But Judas Is more influental than Iron..Iron Maiden is somehow inspired by judas priest...Paul Di'anno have been doing the same singing style as Rob..
Even in Paul And Dickinson's singing you can find the taste of Halford's Singing style...
Anyway Both are legendary bands..Both are respected in metal scene!!
I now like both the bands equally...(Read my past post..I've supported Iron a lot..more than Judas)
But if someone ask, "who is more influental?"...I'll say both of them are..But Judas Priest is more influental..
29.01.2007 - 16:51
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
Written by jawbreaker on 06.09.2006 at 13:17

Judas Priest is a way better band than Maiden....I think that Maiden is over-rated and Priest is under-rated....shit Sad Wings Of Destiny and British Steel changed the world....at the beggining Maiden was great too, but their are still making this commercial crap....it's all the same stuff....Priest are always doing something new: Turbo, Painkiller, Demolition, and now this new epical project....I think that hardcore Maiden fans doesn't understand such great music (bands) like Zeppelin, Sabbath, Priest....this kind of music is very deep...

I Fully agree with you!!!...Yes,Hardcore Iron Maiden fans doesn't understand such great music..I was a hardcore Iron Maiden fans too..I didn't had a taste of Judas Priest..Now,I know what is A great music ..
People rate and support Iron Maiden Without thinking Of Band like Judas Priest(They actually Don't know how Priest are....I was one of them too..hahahaa..I used to fight with anyone who talked crap about Iron Maiden..I seriously had a fight with a Hip-Hop fan a long time ago..he said Iron Maiden Are old,tired and a gay band...I Freaked and without thinking of anything I beat him until he shit on the floor..hahaa..not really shitting!! )
Really man..I was a killer fan of maiden...
But People shouldn't forget udas Priest Have created the true heavy metal and are more influental than Irons..Iron maiden is a brilliant band...But Judas Comes First..And Iron Comes On Second(In My Opinion.)
29.01.2007 - 20:36
APOHAKC
The Bard
I voted for Iron Maiden cause they definetly done more to populaz metal, in my country of cause
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
30.01.2007 - 01:59
Ultraraw
Account deleted
I think Iron Maiden is more ifluental.Iron Maiden music is exstremely
good and inspired.Absolutely Bruce Dickinson is the great
30.01.2007 - 14:00
arwestromen
think Maiden is better but priest had more influetial on other band back in the days
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
30.01.2007 - 16:46
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
I believe (and so do a zillion other metalhead) That Iron Maiden is by far the most influental band ever with a zillion tribute bands and cover songs, everybody had an influence from them one way or another.........so I guess that would put them first
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
31.01.2007 - 13:23
marillionfan
Account deleted
Both bands are influential but in different ways: Judas Priest has had a great influence in the metal world whereas Iron Maiden was a great influence in the progressive metal world. Listen to the early works of Fates Warning or Queensryche....
01.02.2007 - 12:14
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
Written by [user id=17278] on 31.01.2007 at 13:23

Both bands are influential but in different ways: Judas Priest has had a great influence in the metal world whereas Iron Maiden was a great influence in the progressive metal world. Listen to the early works of Fates Warning or Queensryche....

Yes..You Are right!
01.02.2007 - 12:17
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
Now I think these bands shouldn't be compared...
02.02.2007 - 13:21
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
Iron Maiden Vote---70
Judas Priest Vote---32
Can't Decide--------26
I see Many Hardcore Iron Maiden Fans..
23.03.2007 - 15:40
Lord TJ
I love both of these bands. I chose Judas Priest because Rob Halford is higher in the best vocalists than Bruce. I also love the work of Glenn and KK with the lead trades. they make great performances.

Dont get me wrong Iron Maiden is a great band too! I love Bruce's vocals, im not too familiar with the band but I like a bunch of songs I downloaded.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
23.03.2007 - 16:48
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Lord TJ on 23.03.2007 at 15:40

I love both of these bands. I chose Judas Priest because Rob Halford is higher in the best vocalists than Bruce. I also love the work of Glenn and KK with the lead trades. they make great performances.

Dont get me wrong Iron Maiden is a great band too! I love Bruce's vocals, im not too familiar with the band but I like a bunch of songs I downloaded.

The question is which of these bands that had/have the most influence on the metal scene, not which band you prefer.
----
23.03.2007 - 17:00
Lord TJ
Written by Warman on 23.03.2007 at 16:48

The question is which of these bands that had/have the most influence on the metal scene, not which band you prefer.

Think harder.
The things I like about JP is also what I think they are influental of. Rob is one of the best vocalist, #2 in some book ive read. And Glenn and KK are known for their double lead trades.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
26.03.2007 - 15:42
jawbreaker
Judas Priest:
Slayer, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Accept, Saxon, Testament, Anthrax, Rage, Steeler, Iced Earth.....not bad for beggining.....maybe somebody could add some bands
26.03.2007 - 16:45
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Lord TJ on 23.03.2007 at 17:00

Written by Warman on 23.03.2007 at 16:48

Think harder.
The things I like about JP is also what I think they are influental of. Rob is one of the best vocalist, #2 in some book ive read. And Glenn and KK are known for their double lead trades.

who the fuck was number one?? :O

also, people, listen to stained class(the song) by priest and you'll see who is the more influential. come on, the intro sounds like motorhead, then the trademark copyright MAIDEN riff, and then the lead fills sound like killers album, and a typical maiden-like early dickinson era chorus, just before the typical maiden-like dickinson choruses came along!
if priest influenced maiden(obvious), then they are the more influential.
the thing is i think i voted for maiden
26.03.2007 - 17:52
Dirt pride
Account deleted
i voted priest, because they practically invented heavy metal (them and Black Sabbath)
this would have been much more tricky if Sabbath were a choice as well!
im surprised that maiden is ahead, but i geuss some people are voting for who they prefer.
27.03.2007 - 19:26
Hellrat
Account deleted
It all really depends on era's priest influenced alot of the earlier metal but iron maiden is more frequently quoted as being influences for more modern artists. either way both bands are extremely important to metal. i chose maiden because i find they influenced more of the bands that i listen to. also some dude was saying earlier that hardcore maiden fans have no appreciation for classic bands like zepplin and sabbath and i just think thats a load of crap because myself and countless other maiden fans i know love Zepplin And Sabbath
28.03.2007 - 07:18
Bitch Boy
You have to take into consideration that being older isn't the same as being more influential. This is a clear example.
28.03.2007 - 07:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Iron Maiden for sure, they influenced alot more bands by the looks of it, and I can see alot of influence they had on power metal. I cant see much specific influence Priest had...well not as much as Maiden.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.04.2007 - 16:03
UpTheIrons666
Written by [user id=17724] on 29.01.2007 at 16:51

Written by jawbreaker on 06.09.2006 at 13:17

Judas Priest is a way better band than Maiden....I think that Maiden is over-rated and Priest is under-rated....shit Sad Wings Of Destiny and British Steel changed the world....at the beggining Maiden was great too, but their are still making this commercial crap....it's all the same stuff....Priest are always doing something new: Turbo, Painkiller, Demolition, and now this new epical project....I think that hardcore Maiden fans doesn't understand such great music (bands) like Zeppelin, Sabbath, Priest....this kind of music is very deep...

Hard-core Maiden fans don't understand such great music?! I beg your pardon. That sort of blanket statement is quite obviously a generalization based purely on conjecture. I LOVE MAIDEN! My favorite band ever, I consider myself to be a hard-core Maiden fan. I most certainly understand Priest and Sabbath and Zeppelin
I Fully agree with you!!!...Yes,Hardcore Iron Maiden fans doesn't understand such great music..I was a hardcore Iron Maiden fans too..I didn't had a taste of Judas Priest..Now,I know what is A great music ..
People rate and support Iron Maiden Without thinking Of Band like Judas Priest(They actually Don't know how Priest are....I was one of them too..hahahaa..I used to fight with anyone who talked crap about Iron Maiden..I seriously had a fight with a Hip-Hop fan a long time ago..he said Iron Maiden Are old,tired and a gay band...I Freaked and without thinking of anything I beat him until he shit on the floor..hahaa..not really shitting!! )
Really man..I was a killer fan of maiden...
But People shouldn't forget udas Priest Have created the true heavy metal and are more influental than Irons..Iron maiden is a brilliant band...But Judas Comes First..And Iron Comes On Second(In My Opinion.)
03.04.2007 - 19:18
darksun
They are both the greatest and most influentual bands in metal but i choose judas.Cus they are older than maiden and among the bands that affected maiden to be a NWOBHM band.As well most of the old dinosour called rock and metal bands improved their music with judas' materials.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
03.04.2007 - 21:18
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Although Iron Maiden is my favourite band, and I never liked Judas Priest much (please dont kill me guys, I'm probably crazy or something! , I voted for Judas Priest.
Because when you look at the metal scene today, yuo will find more bands that are similar to Judas Priest, than Maiden, I think. And they started earlyier, (doesnt mather that some say that played hard rock and others say metal), many people got didnt know that metal existed at all till they heard Judas Priest. I read all the time about this older dudes 40-50es who are now in metal bands or whatever, like " I vent to England in 197x, 198x, and I've haerd this amazing band, they rocked, that's the music I want " , and stuff like that.
----