Metal Storm logo
The easiest genre to get into

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 22.03.2007 - 05:18
As opposite to the thread: the most difficult genre to get into, I'd be interesting to see your opinions on this issue.
Imo, getting into a genre deppends of the music we listen to, besides Metal and what we search in Metal, for example: I got really easy into Gothic Metal because I was interested in the dark side of music, life, art... and I got really interested in the gothic culture for some time.
So, imo, the easiest genre to get into would be Power or Heavy, I can't decide which is the easiest one
30.12.2007 - 00:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.12.2007 at 14:35

and Nü metal [because is so f*cking commercial]

But even how comnercial it is, I dont like it, its crap, boring and there are full whit stupid musicians who even dont know how talk
Iron Maiden what you mnetioned in interwiews can talk in plular good intelectual english, same like all that time bands
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.12.2007 - 00:38
Bulletdodger
Probably heavy netal (Iron Naiden) and bands like Rammstein .
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
30.12.2007 - 00:55
Harmonic
Account deleted
Hard rock is an easy gateway to heavy metal. Particularly AC/DC. And Viking metal like Amon Amarth and Ensiferum is also readily accessible - anything melodic and catchy.
30.12.2007 - 01:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Bad English on 30.12.2007 at 00:31

But even how comnercial it is, I dont like it, its crap, boring and there are full whit stupid musicians who even dont know how talk
Iron Maiden what you mnetioned in interwiews can talk in plular good intelectual english, same like all that time bands

I know that it's crap.. but I hope that you understood my point anyway =)
I really hate the people that say to me "Hey!!! I like metal too!!" And they talk only about Nu metals bands... it pissme off u.u
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.01.2008 - 12:56
CrimsonSoaked
Account deleted
The easiness is ofcourse bound to the time.
At 80's it must have been normal heavy, speed and thrash metal, which back the were more massive. Then in the end of 80's - early 90's became the death boom,

Nowdays I'lld say it's power and melodic death metal which usually are listened first and therefore are the easiest genres of metal to get in.
Hardest probably are, like have always been, the experimental groups ,which haven't adapted any particular style, but just try to experiment something completely new, which rarely works for a big audience.
01.01.2008 - 15:04
IronAngel
It really depends on your background. For me, it was mostly power metal, and some gothic rock/melancholic metal. If I heard metal for the first time now, it would probably be bands like Opeth, Katatonia and the Gathering.
01.01.2008 - 23:25
Chaosgoat
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.12.2007 at 01:27

Written by Bad English on 30.12.2007 at 00:31

I know that it's crap.. but I hope that you understood my point anyway =)
I really hate the people that say to me "Hey!!! I like metal too!!" And they talk only about Nu metals bands... it pissme off u.u

Theres this skater guy my friends hang around with who claims to listen to metal, and the only bands he knows of are metalcore and numetal. I just laughed when he asked me to read my Emperor shirt to him.
01.01.2008 - 23:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by IronAngel on 01.01.2008 at 15:04

It really depends on your background. For me, it was mostly power metal, and some gothic rock/melancholic metal. If I heard metal for the first time now, it would probably be bands like Opeth, Katatonia and the Gathering.

when I lsitend The Gathering album firts songs I dont wanna listen all album, it sounds boring for me
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.01.2008 - 23:45
ChasingEuphoria
Account deleted
imo power metal is the easiest genre to get into, because it usually has more songs with strong and catchy choruses
02.01.2008 - 15:53
IronAngel
Written by [user id=4927] on 01.01.2008 at 23:45

imo power metal is the easiest genre to get into, because it usually has more songs with strong and catchy choruses

Well, only if you're used to listening to songs with strong and catchy melodies. If you come from a background of listening to ambient or jazz, I don't think power metal would be the first subgenre to get into. Hence the emphasis I put on individual history. Music that is already familiar to you in some ways is probably easier to understand and get into than something completely alien. Punk fans are more likely to lean towards the more extreme side of metal, I wager. Etcetera.
02.01.2008 - 18:54
ChasingEuphoria
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 02.01.2008 at 15:53

Written by [user id=4927] on 01.01.2008 at 23:45

Well, only if you're used to listening to songs with strong and catchy melodies. If you come from a background of listening to ambient or jazz, I don't think power metal would be the first subgenre to get into. Hence the emphasis I put on individual history. Music that is already familiar to you in some ways is probably easier to understand and get into than something completely alien. Punk fans are more likely to lean towards the more extreme side of metal, I wager. Etcetera.

good point.
03.01.2008 - 14:50
VPeter
power metal and symphonic metal. most songs are easy going and catchy.
04.01.2008 - 18:01
torniojaws
If you think the general public, probably german Power Metal or bands like Rage Against the Machine.

Among the metal crowd, probably classic thrash metal like Metallica, Testament and Slayer. Everyone seems to like them.
----
Vortech - New album out! VortechMusic.com Industrial Death Metal
05.01.2008 - 01:06
Piro
I personally think that Power is the easiest to get into because of its really catchy riffs, and extremely melodic vocals. Not to mention its not as heavy as some other stuff, I mean, show someone a drawn and quartered or Behemoth album and they most likely will not like it right away.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
08.01.2008 - 06:44
deadset61
Account deleted
Based on my personal experiences the easiest genre for me to get into was thrash and heavy i got into power metal a bit later
09.01.2008 - 15:12
Tombspawn
Account deleted
Power, IMO. Well, at least, most power. Some, such as Morgana Lefay, Angel Dust, etc, aren't that easy, but I doubt that if you grabbed somebody random off the street, they would find 'Eagle Fly Free' and such hard to get into.
09.01.2008 - 16:30
Slinx
Account deleted
From someone who comes from a background of oldies, classic rock, hard rock, and soft rock, I'd have to say hair glam metal. However it seems people here don't even consider that metal.

Otherwise I'd say traditional heavy metal or power metal. In my case, extreme power metal. Listened to Dragonforce first and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to take it seriously.

Children Of Bodom have some kick ass power ballads (Every Time I Die and others) that just appeal to me.
10.01.2008 - 08:28
slayer_pwns
Account deleted
id have to say heavy metal such as iron maiden and judas priest because it is very closely related to hard rock.
10.01.2008 - 09:41
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by [user id=25762] on 10.01.2008 at 08:28

id have to say heavy metal such as iron maiden and judas priest because it is very closely related to hard rock.

Judas Priest is very accessible - almost mainstream. They pretty much started off with hard rock and developed their metal sound over the next decade. They're the easy listening of heavy metal - and I mean that in a good way.
31.01.2008 - 13:51
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
i wud have to say, classic heavy metal,glam etc
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
01.02.2008 - 17:46
Son of Odin
Power Metal, much because of all the great melodies.
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
01.02.2008 - 19:35
belisarius
i tried it with some friends and they liked power and folk metal the most
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
03.02.2008 - 02:17
Thrashette
I agree that it depends on the person. In general, I'd have to say that it's power or heavy metal.
My favourite genre of music before I got into metal was classical, so symphonic, gothic, and power metal were the easiest for me to get into.
Like a lot of younger people, I listened to a few crappy nu metal bands that I heard on the radio and then wanted to find better music. That's when I discovered real metal.
When my friends listen to metal with me, they usually tolerate or like power metal the most, probably because they're used to hearing catchy stuff with good clean vocals. They can't stand black/death vocals.
I know some guys at my school who love death metal, but hate power metal. So obviously power wasn't the easiest for them to get into.
I also know a lot of people who like Metallica and Megadeth, but wouldn't ever listen to stuff like Slayer, Kreator, Destruction, Holy Moses, or Carnal Forge, so not all thrash metal is easy to get into.
03.03.2008 - 18:45
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
Wgen I just started I listend to a kind of hardcore/metal like demon hunter, before that I listened to popmusic and speedrock. How I ended up with metal?
Don't ask me, but I'm satisfied with it.
03.03.2008 - 19:45
NOИ
Heavy, Power, Folk, Gothic, offcourse Melo-Death and Gothenburg and maybe Melodic / Symphonic Black Metal. but I personally started with Greek Rock and Nu Metal when it was a trend here in Athens...
04.03.2008 - 23:02
Hangar XVIII
For people who've never listened to metal before, I usually reccomend the same progression of bands I evolved into:

Led Zeppelin - ACDC - Black Sabbath - Deep Purple - Ozzy Osbourne (Blizzard) - Judas Priest - Iron Maiden - Metallica - Megadeth - Slayer - A few good bands from all the subgenres - Whatever you like best after hearing it all
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
07.03.2008 - 07:11
Evil Chip
Power Metal like Edguy, Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica because its catchy and melodic.
10.03.2008 - 00:38
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Written by Bulletdodger on 30.12.2007 at 00:38

Probably heavy netal (Iron Naiden) and bands like Rammstein .

Yup ^^
16.03.2008 - 11:37
Close_Up
i'd say like som others here, gotta be melodic, so hard-rock is the easiest way, then comes heavy and power metal...and so on,, doom, thrash, death, black, grindcore, and then we have the really heavy shit like Sunno))) and Earth...wich is not easy
----
-=Metal the genre that's right=-
17.03.2008 - 15:52
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I would say Folk, mostly because of the catchy sound.