Metal Storm logo
Metallica

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 24.09.2008 - 04:44
Once again, topic for Metallica.

Quote:

WRITTEN BY X-CALIBER:
Youve been the one making the same excuse over and over again. I know its not 84. But even for 08, I still think that DM isnt an amazing album. So, why do you like it so much?

Because it's strong, agressive, fast, the solos are back, and it has SOME ELEMENTS form the old stuff. I loved ...And Justice For All so there's not really a reason for me to hate Death Magnetic. I enjoy every Metallica album, some more than others,. but DM is deffinitely in teh ones I like the most.

I mean, you can't expect that they make the same stuff they did in 83, when they were like 20 years old, when it's 2008, and they're 45 years old. Maybe they're not so skilled, maybe the album is mediocre, but since I am no musician, I can't really judge. People who bashed how "mediocre" the album supposedly is, for like 4 pages in teh past topic whould go and listen to Dram Theater or Porcupine Tree or sth. Like that, you'll find no mediocre stuff there.
02.02.2009 - 10:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by [user id=37451] on 02.02.2009 at 10:43

Written by Valentin B on 02.02.2009 at 09:48

Damn i just listened to Seek and Destroy once again, and guess what i've noticed? THE RETURN OF THE SAXON RIPOFF(chorus and instrumental break). don't get me wrong i love some Metallica songs, but rehashing one riff is pretty unepic, but rehashing a RIPPED-OFF riff is REALLY uncool.

i checked the metal-archives reviews for both their No Life til Leather demo and K'eA and NO-ONE noticed this.

fuck you Metallica fanboys.

I have no idea what return of the savon is. plz go on. either way somtimes things like this happen mistakenly especially since that particular part of the song is pretty mellow and simple if you compare it to most songs. Also You can easilly cite one song that helps define Thrash Metal on Each of their first 4-5 albums.Maybe only one or two other bands can lay claim to somthing like that.

it's saxon, lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-49noOAFsG8 and being the fact that metallica worships saxon to death(their first ever gig was them supporting Saxon) i don't think it's a coincidence
02.02.2009 - 12:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 02.02.2009 at 10:52

...(their first ever gig was them supporting Saxon)...

I am almost 100% sure you are wrong here.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2009 - 13:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

(their first ever gig was them supporting Saxon)

That was either their second or third gig.

There first ever gig was on 14th March 1982 in Anaheim, California at Radio City.

The played together with Saxon on the 27th March 1982 in Hollywood, California at the Whiskey A Go-Go. But they played two sets there,
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2009 - 13:20
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2009 at 13:10

(their first ever gig was them supporting Saxon)

That was either their second or third gig.

There first ever gig was on 14th March 1982 in Anaheim, California at Radio City.

The played together with Saxon on the 27th March 1982 in Hollywood, California at the Whiskey A Go-Go. But they played two sets there,

well i was close at least

i got that info from something like Metallica Behind the Music
02.02.2009 - 15:58
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
...wow, I don't think anyone knows as much about metallica as Marcel.....
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
02.02.2009 - 16:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 02.02.2009 at 15:58

...wow, I don't think anyone knows as much about Exodus as Marcel.....

Exodus?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2009 - 17:01
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2009 at 16:05

Exodus?

Shit, sorry, I had just done some reading on Paul Ballof before posting this. And because of Kirk Hammet Exodus has some connection with Metallica, sooo...my confusion should be appearent lol. Editing now commencing
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
04.02.2009 - 10:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Arian Totalis on 02.02.2009 at 17:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2009 at 16:05

Exodus?

Shit, sorry, I had just done some reading on Paul Ballof before posting this. And because of Kirk Hammet Exodus has some connection with Metallica, sooo...my confusion should be appearent lol. Editing now commencing

lol, taken out of context, his reply could mean something like "Exodus?? who the fuck are they??"
04.02.2009 - 12:43
TheBigRossowski
I was flipping through the channels last night and saw the video for 'The Day that Never Comes' on MTV. Everyone is just trying to get a piece of the pie and do something on the War. Mostly people who have no idea either. Just looks like Metallica jumped on that bandwagon.

If anything, at least they're 'supporting the troops'.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
09.02.2009 - 09:44
Andre
Yes. The idea is nice.

All Nightmare Long, the new video was an ok IMO. The hall cold war and that weirdo incident that happens in the video spiced it up a bit. Not too mention the Russian writings and all.

But as far as everyone says, i agree to their golden age and their anticlimax stage. I did like the last album, was way better than what i had been expecting. But the name and cover was a surprise to me.
10.02.2009 - 20:18
metallikat69
I agree that they are not going to play the same shit they played back in the80s but when i hear a newer song and compare it to something like creeping death the newer song sounds less "thrash" metal and more what i like to call pop metal. theyre best albums were theyre first 4 i liked the black album but it was a turning point were they were more influenced by bob rocks opinions and and trying to slow theyre pace down and getting a thicker sound i love metallicas older music!!!!! not too much of a big fan of their newer shit, thouh some of its alrite. but ill admit kirk hammet can still come out with good solos
16.02.2009 - 19:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Noticed this only recently... the main riff of "My Apocalypse" sounds a bit too party-fun-metal or something lol... they seem to have lots of suicide songs lol, all of them(minus Fade to Black) done after Cliff's death.

what i'm beginning to like though, is St. Anger(the title track). i finally got around to what these guys were doing there, though it does sound ugly and repulsive(clonk clonk and Hetfield's voice is too thin), but i can totally see the meaning behind the lyrics: "Fuck it all and no regrets i hit the lights on these black sets".. i can also hear that Hetfield was at least TRYING to sound angry and stuff. imo Dyers Eve and St. Anger(regardless of how bad it sounds) are two of the most emotionally expressive songs they've done. Jaymz is a pretty good lyricist and when he writes about stuff he feels, BINGO! but when he starts whining about "do you teach me how to suck then it's time i disappear" and other shit he ain't doin' it so well.
20.02.2009 - 21:41
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by Azrael on 20.02.2009 at 02:36

I think dm is one of the greatist albums for metallica
they go back to ther 80's styel
to cleff days
i love all metallica albums
the three albums with cleff is the best for me
and i think that dm is mostly one of them
heavy thrash:banger2:

back to their 80's style my ass! they're not old school now just because you can hear them playing a metal riff
sure it can be your favorite; I will never understand why, but you completly cant compare this with the 80s stuff
and its Cliff
23.02.2009 - 17:16
seely
Account deleted
DM is great (their best album since AJFA IMO), but 80's metallic is where it's at!!!

Ride the lightning and Master of puppets are just masterworks!
27.02.2009 - 03:44
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Valentin B on 16.02.2009 at 19:17

what i'm beginning to like though, is St. Anger(the title track). i finally got around to what these guys were doing there, though it does sound ugly and repulsive(clonk clonk and Hetfield's voice is too thin), but i can totally see the meaning behind the lyrics: "Fuck it all and no regrets i hit the lights on these black sets".. i can also hear that Hetfield was at least TRYING to sound angry and stuff. imo Dyers Eve and St. Anger(regardless of how bad it sounds) are two of the most emotionally expressive songs they've done. Jaymz is a pretty good lyricist and when he writes about stuff he feels, BINGO! but when he starts whining about "do you teach me how to suck then it's time i disappear" and other shit he ain't doin' it so well.

Wel if you check teh "Some Kind Of Monster" DVD, it does explain a lot of why teh album came out teh way it did. Blame all on Bob Rock. I still find it an enjoyable album soemtimes though.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
27.02.2009 - 19:50
jd-inflames
Account deleted
I will always be a fan of the older Metallica...but this new stuff...blech.
27.02.2009 - 22:18
Zooluke
Account deleted
DM is fantastic. we must all realize this. That was just your life, all nightmare long, suicide and redemption and my apocalypse are metal masterpieces. These 4 songs alone make DM god-like. And the other 6 songs are very good. ALL HAIL DM.
28.02.2009 - 05:16
Phobophobia
Although most of the songs on Death Magnetic were great songs and I loved the album, you could tell the entire album was Metallica emulating earlier Metallica. That really took away from the album, especially compared to their 80s era albums where they had their own unique sound instead of trying to rehash an older sound.
04.03.2009 - 12:15
dunkelheit_13
Happy birthday jason man.
----
war is over if you want
09.03.2009 - 00:31
Warman
Erotic Stains
They had to cancel their Stockholm show tonight. Hetfield's sick, apparently being at the hospital ATM.
----
09.03.2009 - 04:14
Richard
Elite
Written by Phobophobia on 28.02.2009 at 05:16

Although most of the songs on Death Magnetic were great songs and I loved the album, you could tell the entire album was Metallica emulating earlier Metallica. That really took away from the album, especially compared to their 80s era albums where they had their own unique sound instead of trying to rehash an older sound.

I agree. Something like The Day That Never Comes is a great song but it's a lot like One in the way it goes from being brooding and mellow into an extended thrasharound towards the end, and stuff like that. I think Death Magnetic is a very good album, but there's something a bit contrived about it at the same time. I think Kirk himself said he thinks Death Magnetic is like a modern version of And Justice For All, or words to that effect.
----
09.03.2009 - 06:45
Number Juan
I actually haven't listened to Metallica all that much but I have been listening to Kill 'Em All and I gotta say, it's really good. I was surprised how vicious (by their standards) James vocals were in that 1st album.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
09.03.2009 - 21:36
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
----
(space for rent)
09.03.2009 - 22:32
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
10.03.2009 - 02:10
greaser_mike
Account deleted
Death magnetic to me is the best album they've put out since and justice for all. i dont see why people bash the album,i could understand them bashing st anger. it was a good album, and i agree some other artists have put out albums more mediocre
11.03.2009 - 14:16
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Lucifer123 on 11.03.2009 at 13:36

Metillica is sucking to 100%

thanks for the news.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

12.03.2009 - 17:11

OMFG METALLICA ARE SELL-OUTS. SO BAD I REFUSE TO SPELL THEIR NAME RIGHT. WAAAAAAAAH, I WANT 12 IDENTICAL COPIES TO MASTER OF PUPPETS. WAAAAAAAAAH. VARIATION. WAAAAAAAAAH.
14.03.2009 - 22:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by K✞ulu on 11.03.2009 at 14:16

thanks for the news.

As much as I'd slightly agree with that guys post (though I think Metallica are running at a 70% suck rate these days), that was just a stupid post. He seems to be forgetting that Metallica apparently still put on a great live show (from what I've heard), and that to me is more important that a string of shitty albums if you've got a decent catalogue from the past to play from. As well I can imagine some of Metallica's shit songs probably sound way better live.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.03.2009 - 22:21
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Doc G. on 14.03.2009 at 22:14

Written by K✞ulu on 11.03.2009 at 14:16

thanks for the news.

As much as I'd slightly agree with that guys post (though I think Metallica are running at a 70% suck rate these days), that was just a stupid post. He seems to be forgetting that Metallica apparently still put on a great live show (from what I've heard), and that to me is more important that a string of shitty albums if you've got a decent catalogue from the past to play from. As well I can imagine some of Metallica's shit songs probably sound way better live.

I think one of such songs is Harvester of Sorrow. Live it just sounds so brutal. I remember watching this song live from Moscow in 1991, and it was indescribable. The reason is probably because this song is from ... And Justice For All.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

14.03.2009 - 22:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by K✞ulu on 14.03.2009 at 22:21

I think one of such songs is Harvester of Sorrow. Live it just sounds so brutal. I remember watching this song live from Moscow in 1991, and it was indescribable. The reason is probably because this song is from ... And Justice For All.

Probably because the main problem with And Justice was the terrible mixing. Couldn't say too much otherwise, never really gave that album a serious listen.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin