Metal Storm logo
Nickelback

Original post

Posted by Pierre Tombale, 16.06.2006 - 21:07
I wonder what you people think about Nickelback.
I've seen them live last month and they convinced me with performance and quality.
I have none of their albums yet. It is said that their albums are rather short in playing time.

Discography:
All The Right Reasons (2005)
The Long Road (2003)
Silver Side Up (2001)
The State (2000)
Curb (2000)
site: http://www.nickelback.com/
06.01.2011 - 07:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Cant say Ive ever been reffered to as a "pussy" or an "emo fag" before, but I guess there's a first time for everything! lol
06.01.2011 - 13:36
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Valentin B on 06.01.2011 at 06:55

You are all pussies! my bro Chad Kroeger is gonna come round and give you all veneral diseases.. after we finish playing football, having a "jersey shore"-style makeover and drinking bud light's and jagerbombs shouting at emo fags like you fucking pussies!

You can do whatever you want, but you insulted Morrissey, so your life sucks
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.01.2011 - 02:37
Fat & Sassy!
Elite

You are all pussies! my bro Chad Kroeger is gonna come round and give you all veneral diseases.. after we finish playing football, having a "jersey shore"-style makeover and drinking bud light's and jagerbombs shouting at emo fags like you fucking pussies!

*pats troll on back*

That'll do, buddy. That'll do.
07.01.2011 - 04:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Elio on 06.01.2011 at 13:36

meh. Morrissey is to alternative as Danzig is to punk/metal. he's a bit of a parody of himself. some time around the early/mid-90's i found my attitude just shifted towards him. 20 years ago wouldn't have cracked a joke about the man. still love 80's/early 90's stuff, music is still decent, but the caricature is a bit much.

as for nickelback... i think i like one nickelback song. not sure if it is them or some other band, but it was used in a montage of the 2001 Colorado Avalanche Stanley Cup video... seeing on of my favorite players ever, Ray Bourque finally win and hoist the Cup with the song in the background has made it sentimental even if I don't really like the song.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.01.2011 - 08:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I actually do like one Nickelback song, but I cant even remember what it was called now... lol
07.01.2011 - 13:47
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by BitterCOld on 07.01.2011 at 04:51

Written by Elio on 06.01.2011 at 13:36

meh. Morrissey is to alternative as Danzig is to punk/metal. he's a bit of a parody of himself. some time around the early/mid-90's i found my attitude just shifted towards him. 20 years ago wouldn't have cracked a joke about the man. still love 80's/early 90's stuff, music is still decent, but the caricature is a bit much.

Don't care much about his appearance or approach, nor i have listened much of his solo career, so to me Moz is just the skillful songwriter of the Smiths' songs, and you can't touch him.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.01.2011 - 18:20
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Elio on 07.01.2011 at 13:47

Don't care much about his appearance or approach, nor i have listened much of his solo career, so to me Moz is just the skillful songwriter of the Smiths' songs, and you can't touch him.

i think that he would like to be touched though.
07.01.2011 - 19:22
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Valentin B on 07.01.2011 at 18:20

Written by Elio on 07.01.2011 at 13:47

i think that he would like to be touched though.

yeah I didn't mean touching in THAT sense
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
08.01.2011 - 04:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Actually, you'd be surprised to find out that it's not really the Jersey Shore douche bags that listen to Nickelback (from what I've noticed). It's more of the hick/chud/chongo semi-cowboy jerks that drive around in 4 wheel drive trucks without a speck of dirt on them that are Nickelback fans. Similar to the Jersey Shore brand douche in many aspects though (ie the "Tapout" clothing and the obsession with UFC).

You got the Bud Light thing right though.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.01.2011 - 04:53
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 08.01.2011 at 04:33

Actually, you'd be surprised to find out that it's not really the Jersey Shore douche bags that listen to Nickelback (from what I've noticed). It's more of the hick/chud/chongo semi-cowboy jerks that drive around in 4 wheel drive trucks without a speck of dirt on them that are Nickelback fans. Similar to the Jersey Shore brand douche in many aspects though (ie the "Tapout" clothing and the obsession with UFC).

You got the Bud Light thing right though.

well, i guess that's in different areas of North America.. and for example Nickelback fans in Romania used to be the "trendy rock chicks" who also listen to Staind, Linkin Park or Red Hot Chili Peppers. nothing wrong with that though, as they don't get violent defending their incredibly awesome musical tastes.
18.01.2011 - 04:49
Sonic MrSumo
Written by Angelic Storm on 06.01.2011 at 06:11

I for one, would take Franz Ferdinand, Morrissey, and Travis, over Nickleback.

Agreed. I'd take radio advertising over Nickelback! They really are not to my liking!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
20.01.2011 - 04:23
JCJen7
Not a big fan of Nickelback personally. I like what they ALMOST do, and that is bring good hard rock to the mainstream again. They almost do that, except its not good. Their guitar riffs are pretty good actually, their drumming is decent, and nothing to Korny (see what I did there?) about their bass playing, but I can't stand Chad's voice! It is ridiculously cliche rock, but not in a good way at all, like Myles Kennedy. But instead, in that stereotypical gravelly voice that people who never listen to rock make fun of the genre for. The guy can't sing in my opinion, and when songs like Animal, or Burn it Down (I think thats the name) start up, with some cool stadium riffs, I begin to think it'll be ok. His voice, and also, the insanely predictable song structures ruin it for me (i give them some slack for the predictability, I mean, they are trying to hit it big here.

So yeah, when I want to hear some good mainstream rock, I go to Kings of Leon, Audioslave, Alter Bridge, Late 90's Chilli Peppers, and Gotthard.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
20.01.2011 - 19:13
Written by JCJen7 on 20.01.2011 at 04:23

So yeah, when I want to hear some good mainstream rock, I go to Kings of Leon, Audioslave, Alter Bridge, Late 90's Chilli Peppers, and Gotthard.

Glad to see someone else likes Kings of Leon. The rest of the bands you listed are good too. Never heard of Gotthard though.

I think Nickelback was ok when they were just a simple post grunge band from like 1996-2001. I like the song How You Remind Me, solely for personal reasons like listening to rock radio with my dad when I was ten and hearing that song. I think Nickelback is extremely lame now with their dumb sex songs like Animals, Something in Your Mouth. I have no idea what they're trying to go for with these dumb new lyrics.
21.01.2011 - 01:55
JCJen7
Written by MordecaiHexagram on 20.01.2011 at 19:13

Written by JCJen7 on 20.01.2011 at 04:23

Glad to see someone else likes Kings of Leon. The rest of the bands you listed are good too. Never heard of Gotthard though.

I avoid admitting this too often on this site, because it would piss off 90% of the people here, but i LOVE Kings of Leon. Their first three albums are some of the best garage/southern rock released since the 70's in my opinion. Their last two albums have been pretty lame, but not without their strong points. But, in addition to their first three records, I saw them live a couple months ago, they absolutely rocked. Great live band.

And in terms of Gotthard, i suggest you check them out. They are a pretty consistant band, you so can't go wrong, but their latest album, 2009's Need to Believe was superb. IMO they sound like Journey but with some actual attitude.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
22.01.2011 - 14:52
Elio
Red Nightmare
Dude why the hell you would avoid saying stuff not to piss people? The 80% of music I listen as of now is not even metal ffs
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.01.2011 - 01:46
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Just because you're an MSer doesn't mean you have to only talk about heavy metal...that's why we have the rock forum and the general music forum...Nickelback isn't heavy metal...if you like the Kings of Leon then that's cool...
23.04.2011 - 15:34
therest
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.01.2011 at 08:12

I actually do like one Nickelback song, but I cant even remember what it was called now... lol

if you like one song, you like all of them, since they're all pretty much the same. i'm sorry, but you're a nickelback fan. (that's just logic talking)
----
"It's because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everybody does everything." - Homer Simpson

"Then hold to the fading colors
The grayest of life is yet to come"
- Întunecatul
01.05.2011 - 09:31
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Well, I'm checking them out now, finally, due to all the negative reception and my morbid curiosity with bad music(I probably listened to Waking the Cadaver's Chased Through the Woods 10 times right after first hearing it, due to how amazingly bad it was)

Well, this was dissapointing. Not because it's bad, but because it's decent. It sounds like a generic hard rock/pop band. Nothing more nothing less; hundreds of bands just like them, and these guys just got lucky and found a record label. Dissapointing, but for the right reasons.
01.05.2011 - 10:40
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Author on 01.05.2011 at 09:31

Well, this was dissapointing. Not because it's bad, but because it's decent. It sounds like a generic hard rock/pop band. Nothing more nothing less; hundreds of bands just like them, and these guys just got lucky and found a record label. Dissapointing, but for the right reasons.

And this is the reason they are hated so much. Because they are the leaders of the generic rock scene. I'm very lucky if I can go a week.. no, A COUPLE DAYS without hearing a Nickelback song. They'd be much less annoyingly mediocre if we didn't hear them so often. But hey, you could say that about most things on "popular" music stations, I suppose. Oh, and the fact that you've gone so long without hearing them (living in the US and all) is EXTREMELY surprising.
01.05.2011 - 11:39
Andre
Some of the less screaming songs are decent. Considering they come from Canada.
14.05.2011 - 12:05
terrorist
I am totaly not into rock but their album Silver Side Up blew me away.It is realy good for me,but their other stuf is not that good.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
21.09.2011 - 21:40
Mad Mike
They are releasing a new album in November
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
02.01.2012 - 04:09
gav1230
I can't stand them. They aren't the worst band out there but considering that they've sold like 50 million albums
02.01.2012 - 04:46
Void Eatress
Account deleted
Some may laugh, some may cry, I think it's pretty cool.

02.01.2012 - 04:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Author on 02.01.2012 at 04:46

That was great. It just goes to show you they could make it as a heavy/thrash metal band if they wanted to, but they know where the money is and that's where they'll stay.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.01.2012 - 05:01
Void Eatress
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.01.2012 at 04:55

Written by Author on 02.01.2012 at 04:46

That was great. It just goes to show you they could make it as a heavy/thrash metal band if they wanted to, but they know where the money is and that's where they'll stay.

Chad's voice there sounded better than Hetfield's when I saw Metallica back in 2009 or so, although sounding better than modern Hetfield isn't much of an accomplishment. Really, at this point in their career where anything they touch will sell millions, it would be pretty cool if they tried their hands at a metal album.
21.02.2012 - 17:51
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Yeah their new album is out.

I find this song one of the best in their anew lbum.
24.02.2012 - 14:21
Nemo Atkins
Not a fan, although I do have All The Right Reasons on my ipod (my mum has the album and I decided to put it on my ipod out of boredom: I don't know why she has it as she doesn't like hard rock that much). I don't find them too bad, but I don't find them that great either: they're just "Meh" to me, which, if anything, is more disappointing than being bad. Having said this, I do think that the song "Photograph" is fairly decent and I enjoy listening to "Animals" every now and then.

Edit: I've finally got around to listening to the entirety of All The Right Reasons again (was compiling list of NWOBHM bands I was interested in listening to and I put this on in the background). It's actually a lot better than I originally thought. While I still prefer Shinedown in the post-grunge genre, Nickelback are definitely a lot better than I gave them credit for.
24.02.2012 - 18:30
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.01.2011 at 08:12

Was it.....This is how you remind me?
10.09.2012 - 18:32
Yellax
They used to be a decent rock band. Their music starting turning sour when Silver Side Up came out in 2001 with songs such as Never Again and This Is How You Remind Me.
----
I'm a furry. Get used to it.