Metal Storm logo
Alcohol

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 08.06.2008 - 23:46
This is the new alcohol thread...discuss your favorite alcohol beverages...
16.05.2012 - 19:01
Bulletdodger
People from Serbia, and Ex-Yu will understand:

Last time I had a drop of alcohol was Saturday, it was some cheap wine, but on Friday the baby from the picture was emptied.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
17.05.2012 - 01:29
Soulhole
Written by Introspekrieg on 13.05.2012 at 00:29

Been a good weekend so far...

Did you go to BevMo!
17.05.2012 - 06:18
YureiYumi
Account deleted
Hi everyone! Im new here. a friend recommended this forum so i can do some research on the different metal genres. I did some singing before in various bands (only a couple were metal...) and also solo, I also play the keys. Im still involved with music but as a photojournalist, hence the need for some research.
I couldnt find an introduce yourself section so im taking the chance to do it here:) Oh, and i like bourbon. thanks!
If anyone is interested in giving me some tips or pm some links on the current metal scene i would appreciate! Meanwhile i will just browse the posts and opinions. Yumi
17.05.2012 - 07:49
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Soulhole on 17.05.2012 at 01:29

Did you go to BevMo!

No BevMo's near me... just Total Wine in beautiful tax-free Delaware!
17.05.2012 - 09:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
The total wine bag was a big giveaway.

i think i slightly prefer bevmo for barley soda, total wine for other booze...

although i gotta admit the woman who took over the beer selection at the local supermarket really stepped their game up.

when i moved to this corner of town in '04, the best i could do was Sammy Adams or Fat Tire without a 40-60 minute drive into "town". now they carry a great selection of micro brews, including a wider spread of New Belgium regular and seasonals, more Deschutes beyond just the porter (do not like porters), Odells, Big Sky, Stone (Arrogant Bastard is meh, RUINATION is ruination in bomber form) ... several others as well. Expanded foreign beers as well, beyond the basic Stella, Guinness, Harps, Bass, and assortment of Canuck beer... they have Duvel, Leffe.

i can walk to and from the store quicker than driving to a proper liquor store, and know i have about 4-5 choices I will be happy with and several others to check out... shit, New Belgium Ranger IPA is the "safe" choice now. I love that beer and it is the worst case scenario.

only reason to make the trek to Bevmo is if i want German or Belgian beers (beyond Duvel), or for Ska Brewing Co (Euphoria Pale Ale, Modus Hoperandi IPA), Dale's Pale Ale, or to see if they finally got more Ninkasi (TriCeriHops, Total Domination - both bomber sized IPAs) in.

TW is an even longer trek - 60 minute minimum drive time round trip, so i very seldom go there except to stock up on Castello Del Trebbio Chianti for gifts and personal consumption.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.05.2012 - 21:03
Slayer666
Written by Bulletdodger on 16.05.2012 at 19:01

People from Serbia, and Ex-Yu will understand:

Oh. Fuck. Yeah.
18.05.2012 - 13:54
arwestromen
My favorite alcohol beverages....wow....well when it comes to beer I usually drink Staropramen or Heiniken or Redstripe or San miguel but my favorite beer must be Chimay blue quite expencive but it's so good.
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
22.05.2012 - 05:56
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Wow.....so tonight I tried Irish Whiskey for the very first time. I ordered a shot of Jameson.

It is iconic!

22.05.2012 - 11:05
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Bulletdodger on 16.05.2012 at 19:01

Last time I had a drop of alcohol was Saturday, it was some cheap wine, but on Friday the baby from the picture was emptied.

and she left a fine burning feel in guts... next time we are going to take some whiskey ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
22.05.2012 - 12:24
Bulletdodger
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 22.05.2012 at 11:05

and she left a fine burning feel in guts... next time we are going to take some whiskey ...

Agreed!
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
03.06.2012 - 13:28
kesh
Account deleted
Bought some Prickly Pear Cactus Opuntia from Swanson on amazon, no it doesnt get you acid tripping but the stuff is a hangover cure! Bottle is nearly finished now, but i can honestly confirm, this shit actually really cures hangovers. Ive even been out, got drunk suffered a gut wrenching hangover, got drunk later on but taken 2/3 of these with cod liver oil before hand and woke up fine. Maybe needing a drink of water/tomato juice.

Greatest 5 pound ive spent in my life! (yes i own shares[dont really]). Just spreading the gospel and keeping the national average up with whiskey.

03.06.2012 - 18:00
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I drank a lot last night

Between the lot of us, we empmtied a Mickey of JD and half a bottle of Fireball, a bottle of Vodka, 12 CLIT's 2 Rockstar Vodka's and a bottle of Jager.

It was a fun night
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.07.2012 - 04:24
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
When I was in the US recently, I tried a beer called George Killian's Irish Red. It was impressive! I miss it! The best thing I can find right now is Heineken Light......I'm sipping on some right now, and then I'm going to move onto the Jameson. it's been a hard day.

Can't wait to go to Canada, the province of Ontario has The Beer Store......that place makes me so fucking happy
28.07.2012 - 19:50
MetalSpider
Written by [user id=160] on 28.07.2012 at 04:24

When I was in the US recently, I tried a beer called George Killian's Irish Red. It was impressive! I miss it! The best thing I can find right now is Heineken Light......I'm sipping on some right now, and then I'm going to move onto the Jameson. it's been a hard day.

Can't wait to go to Canada, the province of Ontario has The Beer Store......that place makes me so fucking happy

The Beer Store is everywhere in Ontario....like everywhere lol! Definitely lots of different beer to try. Ontario also as the LCBO which is more for wine and liquor but they also have some beer (some that's also different than the Beer Store I think).
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
29.07.2012 - 02:48
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Written by MetalSpider on 28.07.2012 at 19:50

Written by [user id=160] on 28.07.2012 at 04:24

The Beer Store is everywhere in Ontario....like everywhere lol! Definitely lots of different beer to try. Ontario also as the LCBO which is more for wine and liquor but they also have some beer (some that's also different than the Beer Store I think).

I'm sorry, what's LCBO?
29.07.2012 - 04:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=160] on 29.07.2012 at 02:48
I'm sorry, what's LCBO?

The Liquor Control Board of Ontario. Colloquially referred to as the lick-bow. In Canada convenience stores and grocery stores don't have permits to sell alcohol (although this is currently being debated in Ontario) so we have official beer stores and lick-bows.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.07.2012 - 23:59
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.07.2012 at 04:15

Written by [user id=160] on 29.07.2012 at 02:48
I'm sorry, what's LCBO?

The Liquor Control Board of Ontario. Colloquially referred to as the lick-bow. In Canada convenience stores and grocery stores don't have permits to sell alcohol (although this is currently being debated in Ontario) so we have official beer stores and lick-bows.

Shouldn't it be the same in the US? At least one of my co-workers who lived there some years ago told me that the only possibility to get booze was to go to a "liquor store"... besides, not only did the clerk ask the documents of the client but also those of anyone who was hanging around with the client. That implies that everyone under 21 had to stay behind if a small company decided to visit a liquor store.

I'm really glad not to live in the US...
01.08.2012 - 00:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Killian's is mediocre at best. It was an alternative to Bud/Miller/Coors before people started stocking Sammy Adams. i haven't had a Killian's in probably over a decade now. well at least one i paid for... i might have had one at someone else's house if nothing better, it was cold, and it was handed to me.

and Ernis, different states have different rules, in Arizona there are two grocery stores and a gas station within 2km of my house with a wide selection of wine, beer, and other spirits. there are specialty stores like BEVMO and Total Wine. Think of the US more like the EU, with each State having it's own rules regarding alcohol sales. You can get hookers and hippie lettuce in the Netherlands, but somehow I don't think that shit flies in most EU countries, amirite? as stated above, Canada (or at least Ontario) has far more strict rules than most States.

As for rules regarding "documentation", it is simply a protective measure against selling to minors. I don't really see a problem with it. it's not really an inconvenience.

when my "small company" held office happy hours, I'd just drive to the nearest store (1.5km away), stock up on a bunch of beer, and bring it back to the office. Hooray.

I wish you would actually fucking VISIT the US, seeing as you espouse so many second hand opinions about the place... boy, it's a good thing i don't judge anyone else's country by what i read here... but i guess it's too easy to just hate on the US. it's the cool thing to do.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.08.2012 - 16:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ernis on 31.07.2012 at 23:59
Shouldn't it be the same in the US?

I don't think it should, considering we're different countries. :/

Not even all of their individual states get along, similar in a sense to how some of our provinces don't all see eye-to-eye on everything. You'd need a supreme dictator in order to ensure uniformity across all of North America, and that wouldn't happen unless we had our own Hitler rise through the ranks to control the entire populace.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.08.2012 - 21:37
Ernis
狼獾
Written by BitterCOld on 01.08.2012 at 00:39

and Ernis, different states have different rules.

when my "small company" held office happy hours, I'd just drive to the nearest store (1.5km away), stock up on a bunch of beer, and bring it back to the office. Hooray.

I wish you would actually fucking VISIT the US, seeing as you espouse so many second hand opinions about the place... boy, it's a good thing i don't judge anyone else's country by what i read here... but i guess it's too easy to just hate on the US. it's the cool thing to do.

Thanks for information. The documentation thing is a necessary thing indeed. I was just a bit baffled when I understood that a grown up woman had to leave her 20-year-old daughter outside in order to buy an alcoholic beverage. Now that is something that I can't dig. Anyway, now that I think of it, it may indeed depend on a particular state or community.
01.08.2012 - 22:38
Until the End
Westons Wyld Wood (Premium Organic) apple cider. Ice cold, stick it in the freezer for a few hours so it's that cold it turns to slush.
12.08.2012 - 18:57
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
As I posted in the Marijuana/Cannabis thread, last night I had a really bad trip! But I was shown an antidote to bad trips.....

Jagermeister with Orange juice. I also understand that it wouldn't hurt to put red wine in the mix too. It has an interesting flavour haha.

It did help, I was paranoid as fuck!

21.09.2012 - 02:17
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
So I'm walking in the kitchen, and this caught my surprise.....

Dad says they were out of Jameson. Tried some and holy shit, this could be the smoothest I've ever had
21.09.2012 - 21:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=160] on 21.09.2012 at 02:17

Dad says they were out of Jameson. Tried some and holy shit, this could be the smoothest I've ever had

I have tryd it once small bottle on farry when I shop in booze store , nothing special
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.09.2012 - 01:35
MetalSpider
I'm slowly drinking the most metal rum there is.........KRAKEN Rum!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
22.09.2012 - 07:00
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 21.09.2012 at 21:42

Written by [user id=160] on 21.09.2012 at 02:17

I have tryd it once small bottle on farry when I shop in booze store , nothing special

very well ......recommend me a good scotch then.
22.09.2012 - 12:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=160] on 22.09.2012 at 07:00

Bowmore, Oban, Ardore any other single malt or single caste who's ages 60 years whatever
----

apos;'
[image]
27.09.2012 - 20:10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Forget 60+ years as those will likely be well beyond your price range. bad english is likely talking out of his ass in regards to those as anything that old will cost damn near $100 for a single dram at a bar.

What scotches to try differ depending upon tastes. those in the middle of the country, the Glens are smoother. those made on the Isle of Islay are generally smokier/peatier.

if you are going to bother with scotch, though, be ready to pay up. i started with mediocre stuff (chivas is a step above the "Osco drug store brand that comes in a plastic bottle"), but after stepping up to the good stuff, can't go back down. generally i've found $50-$75 per fifth to be the best mix between affordability and quality.

i prefer the harsher Islay malts -

Lagavulin (that is shot up in price to about $90-100 due to demand),
Ardbeg (a good Lagavulin replacement, has also shot up to about $60),
Laphroaig 10 is ok, but the older versions, if you can find them, are awesome. Laphroaig 21 is the best i've ever had),
Caol Ila
Bowmore 18

Talisker from the Isle of Skye is also a good scotch that you can expect to find at any decent bar.
----

27.09.2012 - 20:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BitterCOld on 27.09.2012 at 20:10

Forget 60+ years as those will likely be well beyond your price range. bad english is likely talking out of his ass in regards to those as anything that old will cost damn near $100 for a single dram at a bar.

What scotches to try differ depending upon tastes. those in the middle of the country, the Glens are smoother. those made on the Isle of Islay are generally smokier/peatier.

if you are going to bother with scotch, though, be ready to pay up. i started with mediocre stuff (chivas is a step above the "Osco drug store brand that comes in a plastic bottle"), but after stepping up to the good stuff, can't go back down. generally i've found $50-$75 per fifth to be the best mix between affordability and quality.

i prefer the harsher Islay malts -

Lagavulin (that is shot up in price to about $90-100 due to demand),
Ardbeg (a good Lagavulin replacement, has also shot up to about $60),
Laphroaig 10 is ok, but the older versions, if you can find them, are awesome. Laphroaig 21 is the best i've ever had),
Caol Ila
Bowmore 18

Talisker from the Isle of Skye is also a good scotch that you can expect to find at any decent bar.

I hade Bowmore 60 :p look at my facebook alcohol album
I dont buy whisky in a bar and I boght bowmore 60 years old expenice once , after it I cant drink nothing alse some time I love thet taste, pretty awesome, and yes its expenice but how much cost every day beer drinking and vodka drinkig.
Those what you mentioned is good Coal Ila never tryd it Laphroig also never , but Oban 10+ is good Ardmore 12 (I think it was 10), Talisker and so on, any malt whisky is god but old is better its luxary drink

Besides I save my money to whisky, and once per year I can offer to buy soem luxary drink , since now regulary if I need strong drink I buy swedish aquavit

Its like my friends, they in old days said I buy whisky Im rich cunt, same time I bought whisky once per 2-3 months , I talk about blandet like Ballentines , JB etc.. they druk every day and weekends,,,in end they spend doble money how I when I bought blandet or malt once per 2 months

Also my mothers BF has some 20 , 40 and 60 years old ones and time to tim he gives me a try
----

apos;'
[image]
24.10.2012 - 13:52
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by [user id=160] on 22.09.2012 at 07:00

The Chivas Regal in your picture is a good whisky, but it's a blend. Blended whiskies are what the name implies - blends of several, sometimes up to 40, whiskies. Usually the core of every blended whisky is a single malt, just like Cardhu single malt is the heart of Johnnie Walker Red (it's a terrible whisky, but it's not the point here). Sometimes it's more than one single malt per blend. But the most of the body of every blended whisky is grain whisky, not single malt.

This is why most of the NAS (no age statement) blended whiskies are simply terrible when drunk neat. Ballantine's, Grant's, Bell's, JB's, Famous Grouse, Scottish Leader, Black & White, Tullamore Dew and many, many more - these are primarily good only in drinks.

The blended whiskies that were matured to a certain age can be quite decent (for blended standards that is):
Johnnie Walker Black Label 12 y.o. is simply excellent
Bushmills Black Bush
Black Bottle (which is rumoured to contain all Islay single malts, but I think it's bullshit)
Chivas Regal 12 y.o. and older
These are just a few examples, but the list goes on.

So, I said all of it to tell you that you should not waste time on blended whiskies. Single malt is the way to go. Even sone of the weakest single malts I've tried were better than any blend: Glenmorangie Original 10 y.o., Glenlivet 12 y.o., Glenfiddich12 y.o. These 3 are the most popular (or at least most heavily marketed) single malts. All very smooth and all lacking certain character that would make them memorable. They're good as beginner's malts - all quite affordable and widely available. But once you try better stuff, these will seem run-of-the-mill. In the easily affordable range there are many excellent, smooth whiskies that beat the most famous ones by a mile:

Aberlour 10 y.o. - despite it's young age, it's surprisingly deep and complex. A sherried delicacy!
Cragganmore 12 y.o. - beside being a very decent whisky, it can also be a nice introduction to the world of peaty malts. It does hint at peaty smoke in the finish.
Glendronach 12 y.o. - the youngest expression of Glendronach already shows all the characteristics of this distillery: fantastic depth and sherried taste.

To name just a few.

BitterCOld and Marcel will of course tell you to go for Islay Malts, and they will be right It's hard to go wrong with these: Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg and Caol Ila are sure shots, Bunnahabhain is untypical of Islay, but still very good, Bowmore and Bruichladdich aren't always great. The only Islay distillery I know no whiskies from is Kilchoman, but then it's a very new producer, so we'll have to wait and see anyway.

But mind you, Islay peat monsters aren't for the faint of heart, and instead of leaving you in awe, they might make you run for mouthwash. In my opinon the best way to introduce oneself to Islay malts is to try a malt from another island, the Isle of Skye. I mean of course the mighty Talisker, the best non-Islay Islay malt

Single malt whiskies are an adventure that never ends. And, as someone here said, once you get into the world of good single malts, you can't go back.