Metal Storm logo
Lacuna Coil: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 06:39
I thought we needed a new Lacuna Coil topic since the old one was pretty popular. Even though we're starting over, I'll make this a fairly tradition first post and introduce the band anyway.
Italy's Lacuna Coil are one of the most popular female fronted metal acts around. Although they're a pretty good band, much of their popularity can be attributed to the fact that their lead singer, Cristina Scabbia, is hot. (see footnote) This has drawn a great deal of criticism from some, who claim that LC is "all tits and no talent."
In the minds of many fans, Lacuna Coil have gone through 3 stages of development. There was the "wow, this is a great band" stage of their first 2 albums and EPs. In a Reverie and Unleashed Memories featured great vocals, intelligent, sensitive lyrics, and overall solid music. During this era, they toured with bands like Moonspell and The Gathering, and their popularity was limited mostly to a European audience.
Then came Comalies, the second "ok, that's commercial but I guess it's still pretty good" stage. Although some of the older fans didn't like the new LC sound, Comalies brought them world-wide popularity and a second stage gig at Ozzfest. It really was a pretty good album; admittedly, there's a little bit of nu-metal in there, but it makes it a little catchier and accessible. My only caveat is that the lyrics also took a nu-metal turn and lost the poeticism of their earlier work. As is always the case when a formerly unknown band becomes popular, there was the outcry that they "sold out." However, a much more common attitude was that yeah, they're getting popular, but I would rather hear them on the radio than any of the nu-metal crap they're supplanting.
Then there's the "wtf is this" stage, aka Karmacode. There's some good stuff on there - In Visible Light and Enjoy the Silence are 2 worthy tracks, IMO - but Karmacode was clearly created to get at the valuable Hot Topic crowd. Undoubtedly Lacuna Coil will gain some fans for this effort, but among many older and, dare I say it, more metal fans, it has inspired outright hatred. LC is scheduled to play the Ozzfest mainstage this year.

-------
23.07.2006 - 18:52
Aquarius
Account deleted
I discovered Lacuna Coil after hearing comparisons between them and Evanescence. I thought "who the f--- is Lacuna Coil?" and decided to check them out. Now I know and have heard (I think) everything LC have done, there is no comparison. LC are by far the superior band. Through LC, I found out about Nightwish, Within Temptation and Leaves Eyes - all bands that I listen to (more or less) equally. Cristina's voice gives me goosebumps (in a good way) and the contrast between her and Andrea's vocals is perfect - kind of a Beauty and the Beast (no offence, Andrea, if you look on here). The fact that Cristina is also a great-looking lass is an added bonus. I loved Karmacode and don't think it was let down by any of the tracks. I think they gone from strength to strength and if Karmacode gets them more attention around the world, that suits me fine. Good luck to them! And may they keep rocking for ever.
25.07.2006 - 10:08
Revenant
Account deleted
They got me into modern metal but tbh I cant stand the 'mud riffs' or andrea's vocals anymore. Best song is ghost Woman and the Hunter.
29.07.2006 - 21:13
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I like very much this band, I think they're talented, their popularity isn't only because of Cristina, but of course she is a part of it.
I don't have any complete album, just some songs of different albums, so, I can't say which is the best one, but according of the music I know, I don't find any gothic music, and besides that, I'm not sure if they're metal at all, for me they're a mixture between rock and metal
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
30.07.2006 - 08:37
Damned-In-Black
I liked them initially, after I got Comalies. Began to find them completely and totally boring after a while however. The band isn't particularly skilled, the music is uninteresting, and above all - Cristina isn't that great a singer. I can only listen to 3-4 songs now, the rest is crap.
30.07.2006 - 19:49
dark awakening
On of my fav bands, they introduced me to the entire metal scene
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
31.07.2006 - 08:05
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Damned-In-Black on 30.07.2006 at 08:37

I liked them initially, after I got Comalies. Began to find them completely and totally boring after a while however. The band isn't particularly skilled, the music is uninteresting, and above all - Cristina isn't that great a singer. I can only listen to 3-4 songs now, the rest is crap.

Isn't Lacuna Coil in your "favorite bands" list? I'd hate to know what you think of other bands you like...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
31.07.2006 - 13:42
Damned-In-Black
Written by Jason W. on 31.07.2006 at 08:05

Written by Damned-In-Black on 30.07.2006 at 08:37

Isn't Lacuna Coil in your "favorite bands" list? I'd hate to know what you think of other bands you like...
Haha right you are.

That list is *fairly* up to date, but I only realised 'wow I actually don't particularly like this band anymore' (or something to that effect), a few weeks ago. Basically I hadn't listened to them in a long time. I planned to get Karmacode, so I gave them a listen to renew interest. When I did - nothing at all impressed me. So I never bought Karmacode.
01.08.2006 - 06:21
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I'm not that much into gothic metal yet, I barely know a couple songs by Paradise Lost and The Gathering, but when I heard Lacuna Coil, I was hooked. I discovered them... I can't remember how, I dowloaded "Swamped" and "Heaven's a Lie". In the begginig I just thought "The girl is quite a beauty, the music is not bad..." But nothing more, I focused on other bands... Shame on me!

Recently I got the albums and I simply love them, inlcuding Karmacode, though is not their best album. I like Fragments of Faith, though. About the other albums I must say that there is no big difference between them IMO. Technically the sound is pretty much the same, the band is not that skilled, Cristina's voice is not that outstanding, and neither is Andrea's, however, when they sound together it's amazing, the combination of their voices is great. And the lyrics, damn... I don't know, I simply love those lyrics... Romatic and dark... Another thing I like is that they have some songs in italian, and I study italian, so it's great.

In conclusion, I love this band. I should have gotten it sooner, but well, I have it now.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
01.08.2006 - 19:09
Alouqua
Account deleted
Ok, I don't think this is a gothic metal band, in fact I don't really know what the hell they play but I enjoy their music... I just have 1 album and some songs and videos and well I like Cristina, I mean she is beautiful, but her voice is kind of.. Normal? I don't know.... I like the whole band, I mean, Cristina + Andrea and the esthetics they have... i don't know... I think that the bad work as a balance, Cristina singing alone is bored (in my opinion) and Andrea voice isn't really good but I love the sound when they sing together.
So in conclusion I like their music but I don't find them so special
01.08.2006 - 19:31
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by [user id=5217] on 01.08.2006 at 19:09

Ok, I don't think this is a gothic metal band, in fact I don't really know what the hell they play but I enjoy their music... I just have 1 album and some songs and videos and well I like Cristina, I mean she is beautiful, but her voice is kind of.. Normal? I don't know.... I like the whole band, I mean, Cristina + Andrea and the esthetics they have... i don't know... I think that the bad work as a balance, Cristina singing alone is bored (in my opinion) and Andrea voice isn't really good but I love the sound when they sing together.
So in conclusion I like their music but I don't find them so special

I completely agree sweetie, they're not so special, and the voices alone don't sound outstanding, both Christina and Andrea have normal voices. Together slam, but alone, hmm... not so good, IMO. That's why I like them so much. Between all the outstanding bands I like, the fact that Lacuna Coil sounds "normal" makes them very special for me, because spite of their simplicity they're a great band, between all of this bands with awesome and unique stuff (For example DragonForce, In Extremo, Apocalyptica, Tool). Like our friend The Alchemist says on his signature "Simpleness is the maximum sofistication".
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

06.08.2006 - 21:54
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I downloaded the video "Our Truth" (yes, I'm a video downloader), and they look so Nu metal... The sound is Lacuna, but the clothing is so nu... Whatever.
----

10.08.2006 - 14:39
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Lacuna Coil - Ozzfest Report; New Video Online :

Lacuna Coil continues to mesmerize the masses on the main stage of this year's Ozzfest, further defining their status as one of today's premiere hard rock acts. The massive summer trek coincided with the release of the new single "Enjoy The Silence," which is currently making big waves at Active Rock radio. The video for the track, completed by the directorial team Fort Awesome (who also shot the group's acclaimed "Our Truth" clip) can currently be viewed on Headbangers Ball, AOL, Music Choice and Yahoo! Music, or you can view it by clicking either of the links below.

Check the new video here

The success of Karmacode, which debuted at #28 on the Billboard Top 200 chart, can be partly contributed to the strength of its lead-off single, "Our Truth," and a stellar live performance on Jimmy Kimmel Live in May. The track was added by over 75 Active Rock and Alternative Radio outlets (and played by well over 125 commercial outlets in all), becoming a Top 30 Active Rock single while spending over 2 1/2 months on the Top 40 Active Rock Radio Chart.

Lacuna Coil's second single, "Enjoy The Silence," has been added at over 3 dozen commercial radio outlets in only two official weeks at radio. Currently you can hear "Enjoy The Silence" nationally on XM Satellite Radio (Squizz), Sirius Satellite (Octane), Music Choice (Rock), AOL RADIO (New Rock First & Rock Covers) and more.

Andrea Ferro (vocals) checks in with the following Ozzfest report: "We recently played one of the biggest Ozzfest shows thus far in Tinley Park, and we had a lot of friends from the city visiting us so we pulled out our canopy and all the camping chairs. The crowd gave us a big welcome back and the show was really energetic! In the evening Cristina, Lucone (our drum tech) and I went to a club nearby to checkout a showcase with the guys from Avenged Sevenfold. After few drinks the party moved to Dan's (guitar player from Disturbed) beautiful house and the night quickly got out of control with a serious amount of shots and beers. We ended up on the A7X bus dancing till dawn. The off-date we had with Atreyu in Grand Rapids was simply amazing. It was such an intense show. The crowd was going crazy, the sound was really good and we were in really good shape. The vibe of a club after so many big arena shows is simply awesome.

"East Troy was a really nice place in the middle of a huge golf course. This is the place Stevie Ray Vaughn lost his life crashing with his helicopter after the show and that gave me a weird vibe. We finally made it into Toronto after the usual border trouble. We had a great first night and then headed to a rock bar where the guys from Hatebreed took over the DJ booth for a quick set that evolved into another wild night of shots and beers. The NYC show was absolutely amazing and the tour is quickly coming to an end but we will be back soon. Thanks for coming out and we hope to see you all soon."

Lacuna Coil Recent Cover Features

All Access (CA) - (Click here to open link)

Explicitly Intense (National) - (Click here to open link)

New York Post (Feature) - (Click here to open link)

Rolling Stone (Italy) - (Click here to open link)

Ruin (National) - (Click here to open link)

The Aquarian (NJ) - (Click here to open link)

The Edge (TX) - (Click here to open link)

Lacuna Coil - Summer Touring Schedule

08/09 Alltel Pavilion - Raleigh, NC
08/10 Rocketown - Nashville, TN (Offdate w/Atreyu)
08/11 Masquerade - Atlanta, GA (Headline w/Dragonforce, Between the Buried and Me)
08/13 Sound Advice Amphitheatre - West Palm Beach, FL

Official Website : http://www.thekarmacode.com

(Source : http://www.centurymedia.com)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
10.08.2006 - 23:35
Rathma
Account deleted
Unless Andrea Ferro gets into a life threatening illness and quits the band, I probably will never be able to enjoy them live.

And I personally don't care about the Nu metal turn, because Lacuna Coil wasn't technical in the first place. It's not as tragic as say, when COB went Nu-Metal on their new album. I fainted that day.
11.08.2006 - 12:26
marinBG
Comaslies was a great album... I don't really dig Karmacode that much with all the middle-estern influences... I never liked this type of stuff.. still, it's one of my top 5 favourite bands for sure... I also discovered them because of the bunch of comparisons to Evenessence and when some of their videos came handy I checked them out and I was basicly blown away, but tracks like Heaven's a Lie, Tight Rope, To Live Is To Hide and so on... they have some really killer songs, but there is something I cannot understand... how does Andrea manage to sing off key even on studio recordings... that's fucking tunable... i mean the engeneer just needs to spend a few hours and eveything will be on pitch you know i don't get it...

Otherwise I like the nu metal turn... I think this oldschool mixed with nu is great... I'm also a hardcore COB fan from Hatebreeder, but Are You Dead Yet? blew me away... It's really really cool imo
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
22.08.2006 - 19:35
GtBS
I just discovered Lacuna Coil a few days ago and fell in love (with the lyrics and music in the first few albums) and well, with just the music as a whole, no separate bits and pieces caught my attention in latter albums but I haven't listened to those lyrics very closely.

I don't know if I could listen to their last few albums as more than background music while doing something else, though. It's not something I want to sit with and remember. I might enjoy seeing them onstage for the hell of it... but I wouldn't pay 35$ for that. Cristina has a great voice but it's nothing like Leaves' Eyes, and I think LE has a better story to tell...

Okay for my two cents. Hello to all, as I'm new here.
04.10.2006 - 12:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well I dontv agree about its moust popular female fronted band in Italy, there gothic scene are great and are fiew good bands too
i nebver raely like this band, even Krsitina Scabia, its italian verse about Liv Krsitin
Music isnt so great from taht what I had hear, I can listne it but its nothing special and I can agree Cristina's voice is greatvamd she has talanted, but not my type of women and music
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.02.2007 - 02:31
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Lately I've been listening a lot to this band, it's like I discovered new interesting things in the band, or I just found their music better
----

Sensorium - Epica
04.02.2007 - 18:23
Roy Khan
Account deleted
in my opinion lacuna coil is a great band but for me it seems that they are repeating themselves too much, each song in some way has the same beginning and you can't listen them too much...but generally for today's bands it's prodigy..
05.02.2007 - 04:05
Abydos
Account deleted
Lacuna Coil!! What can I say!! Personally, I love them to death. They were one of the first Gothic metal bands I heard of via the internet from Europe. Found the 'Swamped' video by accident and haven't turned back since. I saw them five times in the Great Lakes area last year and will be going to see them again when they play with Stone Sour in a few weeks. All of these dates unfortunately have been in support of other bands and I KNOW that there are tons of fans in North America that are very anxious for them to headline. They are a smart band (or at least, their management team is) for supporting multiple genders of music to gain a diverse audience. They've headlined before in N.A. and they better get down to business and do is again really soon. Karmacode is a great album and deserves to be performed, but there are many of us here in N.A. that know much their old material and are really anxious to hear it LIVE!!!!!
05.02.2007 - 04:11
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by [user id=19901] on 05.02.2007 at 04:05

Found the 'Swamped' video by accident and haven't turned back since

I discovered this band with this video too, since I saw it I like the band. If someone ask me for this band, this would be the stuff I'd tell first about
Btw, welcome to MS
----

Sensorium - Epica
05.02.2007 - 04:27
Abydos
Account deleted
Written by The Alchemist on 05.02.2007 at 04:11

Written by [user id=19901] on 05.02.2007 at 04:05

Found the 'Swamped' video by accident and haven't turned back since

I discovered this band with this video too, since I saw it I like the band. If someone ask me for this band, this would be the stuff I'd tell first about
Btw, welcome to MS

Why, thank you very much!! Coil rocks, especially live! I lost 4 inches around my waist alone just from headbanging to their tunes!!
05.02.2007 - 04:35
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Lacuna Coil live... man, I can't imagine how great it'd be. Hope they come around here someday
----

Sensorium - Epica
07.02.2007 - 02:09
SexBloodandMetal
Account deleted
In my opinion, Evanescence was more of a mainstream rip off of LC. I do think LC has some questionable credibility with the hot frontwoman and the growing nu Metal/Mallcore fanbase. But I still think they are a tad more respectable than say bigger sellouts in that department (like Korn?) I think they still have credibility. But I'll admit, what got me into them first was her voice surprisingly enough...Then I saw her....*drools*
11.02.2007 - 16:59
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
LOL, I remember when it was still "in" to like Lacuna Coil.

Personally I've always liked them, and Comalies was an important album for me when it came out. I still rate them high, though Karmacode wasn't exactly as good as the previous works. Not because they changed their style or because they got famous, I just think a few songs are insipid. I reviewed KArmacode a while back, feel free to go read it here on MS and comment on it.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
13.02.2007 - 18:01
Mud
Account deleted
Lacuna Coil is my favorite guilty pleasure. I love Cristina's vocals and the open, layered atmosphere they create is catchy and entrancing (albeit a little tiresome after repeated plays).
13.02.2007 - 18:16
Azarith_Death
Account deleted
I think Lacuna Coil blew up way too quickly and it destroied their image..I remember when I saw them in concert like 6 years ago and no-one was at their show and no-one knew who they were..All of the sudden "Comalies" blows up after 6 months of being released to the American society..Once "Karmacode" was released I had to check it out..and there was like two or three songs actually worth listening too..So that's a sad thing..
17.02.2007 - 03:23
Soundchaserdude
Account deleted
I first admired LC and had a shrine to Cristina.

Then I became tired of femme-metal on a large scale

They deliver quite a great show and are some extreme headbangers
18.02.2007 - 16:31
The Walrus
Moonsorrow
I like this band ,My fav album of them is "Half Life " , but more i like their two cover's : "Enjoy the silence" of Depeche Mode and "stars".
----
18.02.2007 - 18:26
Empress
Here's a band that when they first came out I thought they were fabulous but as of late I find their music bores me. If I drop a song in periodicly they still hold up but to listen to several songs in a row...zzzzzzz!
23.02.2007 - 14:24
I aM YoUr SiN
I really like them. I discovered them when i saw their video on Mtv... i think that the mix of male and female voice is really good, and especially in Lacuna Coil it sounds good. Also it is a pleasure to watch Cristina and to listen her voice... it is really cool band
----
My Lord, let me come to you, let me become what my child thinks I am
In you is the beauty of the world, of which death made me an artist
My Lord, let me come to you, let me become what my child thinks I am...