Metal Storm logo
What metal genre have you been into recently? What band started it?

Original post

Posted by -DC-002-, 31.10.2008 - 10:10
A simple question. what genre or style of metal have you been listening too lately? And what band spurred it?

does this topic exist already? I guess I'll find out
16.03.2013 - 21:52
Deithial
Old School death metal, started with going through and listening to tapes I had from highschool, Obituary, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, etc... Just taping that orginal anger level I guess.
16.04.2013 - 11:29
Redn1ght
Captain Obvious
Thrash Metal, listening to couple songs by Testament really got me into it.
16.04.2013 - 13:05
Dinruth
I did not like a lot of black metal back in the days, but it's starting to grow on me .. all started with summoning and Burzum's "Dunkelheit"
17.04.2013 - 13:46
Hellbrann
Doom metal, I listened to Candlemass and My Dying Bride before, but Esoteric and Evoken pulled me head on into extreme doom. Slowness is so much more extreme...

Also, crust, powerviolence and the like. Since I started making that music as a side project I been listening endlessly on Spotify.
----
Druantia | Folk metal
17.04.2013 - 13:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hellbrann on 17.04.2013 at 13:46

Doom metal, I listened to Candlemass and My Dying Bride before, but Esoteric and Evoken pulled me head on into extreme doom. Slowness is so much more extreme...

Btw May 11 is Dordrecht Doom Day
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.04.2013 - 15:04
Hellbrann
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.04.2013 at 13:54

Written by Hellbrann on 17.04.2013 at 13:46

Btw May 11 is Dordrecht Doom Day

I know. But I probably have to work. At least during the day. I might go after work so I can catch Mourning Beloveth.
----
Druantia | Folk metal
20.04.2013 - 02:26
AdamosMakis
Thrash metal and anthrax probably started it.
26.05.2013 - 14:57
Lately, I'm starting to listen to more thrash metal, due to Nocturnal Breed, Warbringer, and even some Old Iced Earth. I especially like the Black/Thrash Metal stuff, so I wouldn't mind some reccomendations, if its not too much trouble?
28.05.2013 - 19:14
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Been listening to Oriental styled metal for a while now and recently discovering loads of new bands. Probably Orphaned Land's masterpiece Mabool started it out.
28.05.2013 - 22:12
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I'm all over the board as usual, post-rock, black metal, deathcore, jazz, electronica.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.05.2013 - 23:51
Lit.
Account deleted
I'm jumping all around, too. But I've taken an interest in nu, for some reason. Probably due to playing out Static-X's debut and Slipknot's Antennas to Hell. I started metal with glam, so I didn't really check out most of the nu bands others said they started with. Guess this is as good a time as any.
30.05.2013 - 06:12
Daysleeper92
Usually i listen death metal but lately I'm into power and folk. With power metal i think that i started with Sonata Arctica and with folk i dont remember if it was with Finntroll or Ensiferum
30.05.2013 - 08:00
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Industrial Black Metal, I been listening to it for a long time but only recently I got even more into it, mostly because of bands like The CNK, Troll, Mysticum, ...and Oceans/Havoc Unit and Dødheimsgard.
04.06.2013 - 19:19
R Lewis
That strange kind of progressive metal opera... How to define Ayreon?
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
19.06.2013 - 04:04
I guess I've gotten (back) into power metal in a fairly big way. From what I've read, the first power metal song was Stargazer by Rainbow. True, it lacks the super-fast guitar and drums typical of the style, but the lyrical themes and the vocal style, to some extent, scream power metal. Which would then make Dio the father of power metal. Because Dio.

Wait, was the question who started the genre or who started me liking it? Probably a tie with Nightwish and DragonForce I guess for the liking it.
----
And I shall not be dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair
04.07.2013 - 09:14
josuu
At the moment it's definitely post-rock/ post-metal/ sludge. It started out with Ghost Brigade, then got into Cult of Luna, Kylesa, Neurosis. I'm obsessively checking out more stuff.
09.07.2013 - 16:32
bloodyrenn
Account deleted
When I was younger I used to dive pretty head-first into the many metal subgenres, exploring one thoroughly for a year or two and then moving on to another; thesedays, however, I tend to pick a few artists from each that I think are exceptional and continue to look for new artists in this vein.
25.07.2013 - 18:16
Written by nasmith on 13.03.2013 at 01:57

Written by Infernal Eternal on 01.01.2012 at 17:27

Although i like extreme metal i 've been really into power metal lately . It started with Hammerfall ...

Hell yeah, they were one of the first bands that got me into metal in general.

But I've gone on slam death binges in the last few days. Bands like Devourment and Abnormity

I listen to all kinds of metal in binges/phases, as long as it's not overrated modern stuff. (Yes, I have found what I'd consider "true" metalcore, nu metal, and deathcore, even though I don't normally seek out good bands in those styles because the majority of them aren't my style.) But I'd have to say my favorite styles are heavy, thrash, doom, and death metal.

Kidna late answer! I'm into those stuff right now too!
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
06.08.2013 - 14:33
nasmith
Written by Infernal Eternal on 25.07.2013 at 18:16

Written by nasmith on 13.03.2013 at 01:57

Written by Infernal Eternal on 01.01.2012 at 17:27

Although i like extreme metal i 've been really into power metal lately . It started with Hammerfall ...

Hell yeah, they were one of the first bands that got me into metal in general.

But I've gone on slam death binges in the last few days. Bands like Devourment and Abnormity

I listen to all kinds of metal in binges/phases, as long as it's not overrated modern stuff. (Yes, I have found what I'd consider "true" metalcore, nu metal, and deathcore, even though I don't normally seek out good bands in those styles because the majority of them aren't my style.) But I'd have to say my favorite styles are heavy, thrash, doom, and death metal.

Kidna late answer! I'm into those stuff right now too!

You replied later to my comment than I did to yours lol
06.08.2013 - 14:34
nasmith
Back on topic: Most of what I listen to as of now is either doom metal or death metal.
07.08.2013 - 23:23
mz
Black metal:started with blut aus nord and gnaw their tongues
industrial metal:started with godflesh, ramstien and blut aus nord
drone metal/dark ambient:started with terra tenebrosa
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
19.12.2013 - 00:28
DoomRules
Sludge metal : Started with More Constant that the Gods, SubRosa ...... a interesting Album
----
There's no light at the end of the tunnel...
19.12.2013 - 14:41
Wukk
Over the past month or so, black metal. That's got to be something to do with the three black metal albums I bought at Blast of Eternity, mainly the most recent Slechtvalk album, which I'm pretty obsessed with. In the last couple of days, I've been enjoying a lot of more traditional-sounding stuff, probably due to Rob Rock.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
19.12.2013 - 16:17
Tenebra
I started power metal like rhapsody
19.12.2013 - 17:40
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by DoomRules on 19.12.2013 at 00:28

Sludge metal : Started with More Constant that the Gods, SubRosa ...... a interesting Album

Sludge? Welcome to the club buddy, welcome to the club. Strap em up and prepare for a long journey...
----
rekt
20.12.2013 - 16:42
Jtbmetal123
Ive been into Nu - Metal. Mudvaynes's L.D 50 got me into Nu Metal again but I listen to everything. I think ill be into thrash Tmmr.
02.01.2014 - 01:17
Wukk
The gloomy short quiet acoustic tracks on death doom albums. I blame Hamferð.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
02.01.2014 - 03:04
mbcameron
Mainly prog recently. It is kind of funny because I used to think that I hated prog as a genre but then I joined a band that played it and my tune instantly changed. I dunno how I eer thought I hated it considering I always loved the virtuosic qualities of metal.
09.01.2014 - 06:36
whatsacow
For some unknown reason I shied away from melodic death metal for quite a while. Idk why, I guess it was the name. However, Amon Amarth finally got me into it and I've been loving the genre ever since!
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
21.01.2014 - 15:19
Written by nasmith on 06.08.2013 at 14:33

You replied later to my comment than I did to yours lol

Another late answer! My best friend listens to those bands!
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter