Metal Storm logo
Best Thrash Band

Original post

Posted by Dreamwar_86, 06.07.2006 - 15:56
Thrash.. is maybe one of the best styles of metal there are many great bands from the US and from germany too , whats your favorite

so give me your opinion what band is faster,more original,more heavy etc.

for me Metallica they are simply brilliant well they were first 4 albums are metal classics

Poll

What band is better?

Slayer
Metallica
Other...
Megadeth
Kreator
Pantera
Sepultura
Exodus
Destruction

Total votes: 456
01.06.2012 - 06:47
Guib
Thrash Talker
Yeah so some good ol' Thrash Metal would be Forbidden's ''Twisted Into Form'' album, straight outta 80's baby.

Forbidden - Twisted Into Form

Can't get old
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
02.06.2012 - 05:24
bran
Sodom is my all time fave thrash band. one of the few thrash bands that kept soldiering on in the 1990s
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
03.06.2012 - 06:24
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by bran on 02.06.2012 at 05:24

Sodom is my all time fave thrash band. one of the few thrash bands that kept soldiering on in the 1990s

Yeah sodom's great but there is more than a few bands soldiering on in the 90's

think about it, Messiah's ''Choir of Horrors'', Annihilator's ''Never, Neverland'', Sepultura's ''Arise'', Sadus ''Vision of Misery'', Demolition Hammer's ''Epidemic of Violence'', Mekong Delta's ''Visions Fugitives'', you also have Witchery, Nocturnal Breed and Solstice releasing their first studio album, and many more.. alot of people just flame down the 90's Thrash without really knowing what jewels you can find in those years !

Some may say im wrong, but those albums are all masterpieces to me
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
04.06.2012 - 01:55
bran
Written by Guib on 03.06.2012 at 06:24

Written by bran on 02.06.2012 at 05:24

Yeah sodom's great but there is more than a few bands soldiering on in the 90's

think about it, Messiah's ''Choir of Horrors'', Annihilator's ''Never, Neverland'', Sepultura's ''Arise'', Sadus ''Vision of Misery'', Demolition Hammer's ''Epidemic of Violence'', Mekong Delta's ''Visions Fugitives'', you also have Witchery, Nocturnal Breed and Solstice releasing their first studio album, and many more.. alot of people just flame down the 90's Thrash without really knowing what jewels you can find in those years !

Some may say im wrong, but those albums are all masterpieces to me

yeah i agree demolition hamer and witchery were great and made great albums
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
04.06.2012 - 07:15
Mr. Blonde
Megadeth hands down for me! Somewhere between the accessibility and popularity of Metallica and the wave of controversial themes gone overboard of Slayer... is the perfect balance between them in Megadeth.

I mean I like a lot of bands on the list though. I dig Nuclear Assault for instance, but it's hard to compare 2nd or 3rd tier bands like that in the thrash with the top tier. Not all sub-genres of metal are like this, but in Thrash there seems to be more of a hierarchy because thrash basically saved metal in America. So the biggest among them end up on a whole another level of regard. Without thrash having gained such a massive cult following and a breakthrough into the mainstream, I don't think that metal as a whole in North America would be even half as popular as it is now. Europe of course is another story and metal would likely have continued to thrive there. But ask North Americans like myself who grew up in either the 80's, 90's even early 2000's and they will likely cite thrash as the first "real metal" genre that they got into.

Sepultura wasn't even thrash for a good chunk of their career, but they belong on the OP's list because they were big enough to be top tier.

Good point about the 90's Guib. While said top tier bands often used more rock elements and started taking thrash to predictable territory, there were many who stuck to their guns and the 90's is really when the second tier bands got a chance to hold the fort of the genre so to speak. I would especially point out Anacrusis and Mekong Delta as highlights of that decade.

As far as who has been keeping the torch burning into the 2000's I would nominate Overkill as the leading veteran thrashers right now.
04.06.2012 - 13:02
Zombie94
Written by Mr. Blonde on 04.06.2012 at 07:15

Megadeth hands down for me! Somewhere between the accessibility and popularity of Metallica and the wave of controversial themes gone overboard of Slayer... is the perfect balance between them in Megadeth.

Yep, Megadeth got my vote too! They were one of the bands that really got me into metal because they could combine technicality with catchy songwriting, while still being heavy. 'Peace Sells', 'Rust In Peace', 'Countdown To Extinction', and 'Youthanasia' are all pretty close to perfection for me. 'Endgame' is up there for me as well!
04.06.2012 - 15:26
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Mr. Blonde on 04.06.2012 at 07:15

As far as who has been keeping the torch burning into the 2000's I would nominate Overkill as the leading veteran thrashers right now.

Yeah if we're talking veteran, I guess it would be Overkill, but Thrash is pretty healthy right now IMO alot of awesome young bands.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
04.06.2012 - 18:16
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Thrash has really jerked me around a lot the last couple of years. I don't really like any American Thrash at the moment, unless you count maybe Revocation or Skeletonwitch, and Teutonic Thrash has never really done it for me.
04.06.2012 - 20:35
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
My vote goes to Megadeth. They are the band that got me into thrash (more or less) and "Rust In Peace" remains my favorite thrash album.
05.06.2012 - 00:44
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by bloodwrage on 04.06.2012 at 18:16

Thrash has really jerked me around a lot the last couple of years. I don't really like any American Thrash at the moment, unless you count maybe Revocation or Skeletonwitch, and Teutonic Thrash has never really done it for me.

Yeah dude, yeah, we do count Revocation and Skeletonwitch
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
19.11.2012 - 01:11
Vasil de Shumen
CORONER is the best thrash band !!!

unique and inimitable style ;
100 % thrash affiliation ;
5 perfect albums recorded by the most original and virtuoso thrash guitarist - Tommy Vetterli - and the brilliant metal drummer - Markus Edelmann.
19.11.2012 - 03:30
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Vasil de Shumen on 19.11.2012 at 01:11

5 perfect albums recorded by the most original and virtuoso thrash guitarist - Tommy Vetterli - and the brilliant metal drummer - Markus Edelmann.

Don't push it too far yeah yeah they are freaking great and all but you were starting to sound like a little groopie there
Coroner is a good band I give you that.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
19.11.2012 - 13:40
Vasil de Shumen
Written by Guib on 19.11.2012 at 03:30

Don't push it too far yeah yeah they are freaking great and all but you were starting to sound like a little groopie there

I trust my ears ? and CORONER outperforms all other thrash bands

In your opinion, best thrash band is .................... ?
19.11.2012 - 21:36
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Vasil de Shumen on 19.11.2012 at 13:40

Written by Guib on 19.11.2012 at 03:30

I trust my ears ? and CORONER outperforms all other thrash bands

In your opinion, best thrash band is .................... ?

Actually I don't really know what the best thrash band is, because I love too many of them to decide
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
19.11.2012 - 21:54
Vasil de Shumen
Written by Guib on 19.11.2012 at 21:36

... I love too many of them

I too
Especially : Anacrusis , Megadeth (1985-1990) , Metallica (1983-1988) , Realm , Nuclear Assault (1985-1990) , Intruder , .....
19.11.2012 - 21:56
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Vasil de Shumen on 19.11.2012 at 21:54

Written by Guib on 19.11.2012 at 21:36

... I love too many of them

I too
Especially : Anacrusis , Megadeth (1985-1990) , Metallica (1983-1988) , Realm , Nuclear Assault (1985-1990) , Intruder , .....

All good bands really, I'm glad some people do enjoy Anacrusis and Realm
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
20.11.2012 - 17:31
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Vasil de Shumen on 19.11.2012 at 21:54

Intruder

As in this Intruder?:

That's the stuff!
21.11.2012 - 10:42
?enrisúlfr
In my opinion it's gotta be Metallica
Their first albums with Cliff were absolutely insane and some of the stuff he [Cliff] came up with is amazing.
Megadeth are a close second for me, Their speed and guitar solos are incredible.
01.12.2012 - 16:09
megadeath13
Account deleted
When it goes to thrash, Megadeth and Kreator are my favourite ones. But its a hard choice.
07.03.2013 - 01:11
Guib
Thrash Talker
Lately I Just got back into Witheria...
You guys gotta listen to this band if you never heard of them. 3 albums all fucking masterpieces and they
are pretty overlooked. Anyways Start with Infernal Maze
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.03.2013 - 04:41
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Dark Angel
08.03.2013 - 19:56
squidrick420
I said other, mainly because choosing a favorite thrash band is impossible. I like different bands for different reasons so choosing only one wouldn't work for me at all. Sodom for the black thrash style, megadeth for the good ole American thrash style, slayer for obnoxious speed, Kreator for being well... good, Bulldozer for uniqueness, D.O.A/Suicidal Tendencies/Municipal Waste for crossover. And Deathammer for being the best new thrash band there is, and for creating my favorite album of 2012.
09.03.2013 - 12:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by squidrick420 on 08.03.2013 at 19:56

I said other, mainly because choosing a favorite thrash band is impossible. I like different bands for different reasons so choosing only one wouldn't work for me at all. Sodom for the black thrash style, megadeth for the good ole American thrash style, slayer for obnoxious speed, Kreator for being well... good, Bulldozer for uniqueness, D.O.A/Suicidal Tendencies/Municipal Waste for crossover. And Deathammer for being the best new thrash band there is, and for creating my favorite album of 2012.

I wouldn't call Bulldozer unique since they are a Venom rip-off more or less. And where Venom was bad they are even worse hahaha
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2013 - 12:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Bulldozer has onmly 2 good songs and more what pass good in time ... Illona has elected and Illona the werry best .... rest of it is wortrh than Venom
and well new genberation probobly have no clue who is Ilona
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.03.2013 - 17:43
Vasil de Shumen
I think this band must be CORONER. Five brilliant albums and not one weak song !!!
09.03.2013 - 18:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Vasil de Shumen on 09.03.2013 at 17:43

I think this band must be CORONER. Five brilliant albums and not one weak song !!!

hmmm good point well I dont know from what part os Suisse they come from, but since all can speek german there , I will say this is best thrash metal band what come from german speeking countries, they kick teutonickl thrash band asses .... TOP 3 Europian same equal kick ass as Artillery and Sabbat (UK) just in case if some will think japanese suck band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.03.2013 - 07:36
squidrick420
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2013 at 12:20

Written by squidrick420 on 08.03.2013 at 19:56

I wouldn't call Bulldozer unique since they are a Venom rip-off more or less. And where Venom was bad they are even worse hahaha

I was mainly referring to the Neurodeliri album, which stands out as unique to me (mainly the weird sounding keyboards). Anyways... like them or not, I still do. Some era's more than others though.
27.04.2013 - 07:33
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I came across this interesting piece about Re-thrash, a Postmortem on invisbleoranges website, unlike other drab articles who spits for some whore-ass publicity.

It's just dried up the whole relativistic thrash metal scene.

Check it out here.

/offtopic
27.04.2013 - 23:17
Lord_Regnier
Definitely Kreator for me.
Just ignore the 90s. Everything else they released is top notch.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
28.04.2013 - 17:02
Malphas
Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.04.2013 at 23:17

Definitely Kreator for me.
Just ignore the 90s. Everything else they released is top notch.

American thrash is overall better, but i couldn't agree more with this. They're also a damn good live band
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle