02. Angstridden
03. Fuel For Hatred
04. Suffering The Tyrants
05. Possessed
06. Repined Bastard Nation
07. Mental Mercury
08. Black Lava

The evolution continues with Volcano.
Satyricon now consider themselves "the state of the art" as Satyr used to declare, and that makes him feel free to create something new. But if on one hand this album is an evolution of "Rebel Extravaganza", on the other its evolution and style changing it's not so stunning as RE's was.

The album is a complex work, sophistication is researched in every single note [but not always founded] , and a good amount of elitarism and counscuiosness to be the leaders of the genre is displayed troughout the album.
The guest appeareance of Anya Garbarek, an high class norwegian jazz singer, daughter of the famous and great sax player Jan Garbarek [go and listen to some of his works with the Hillard Ensemble], for some singed parts show us how Satyr feel himself [and probably is] a part of the norwegian musical elite and want to express it through music and collaboarations.
In other words, forget about the low-fi, harsh, and poor black metal of the Dark Medieval Times. This is high class, refined, and elite Black Metal.
Dark Modern Times, folks.
And i'm not accusing them of selling-off, there's an abyss between Dimmu Borgir and Satyricon. DB are about "easy listening", Satyricon are here aiming for an highly evolved and refined vison of what is called Black Metal.
Do they achieve it? We'll see.

Only one thing i have to complain to Satyr. Track number 3 "Fuel For Hatred" the radio single of the album, also a videoclip from it. Lets say it: it has nothing to do with the rest of the album. Short, catchy and hard-rock influenced it is a song clearly made to be a chart-climber single. If you compare that with the very long and obsessively repetitive "Black Lava", you'll se 2 different conception of music: an easy listening song, and a song that is anything but easy listening, with its main riff repeated for minutes and minutes. The other songs are closer to that last one, but they show the reaserch for variety and complex arrangements that Satyr was pursuing when writing the songs.
Less mechanical then the RE's one, the sound of "Volcano" is really different. A thing we can tell for sure is that Satyr slighly abandoned its trademark riffing for a more "hard rock" riffing, even if some grim riff appears here and there. Times are generally slower, Frost's double bass it's not so used as it was in RE.

Now, the main bad point is: sometimes Volcano is boring. I can't tell why: it's played really well [Frost's drumming is always very precise -even if not fast as it was in RE-] and perfectly produced, but the songs have always something that makes them feel "not new".
The clear example is Black Lava: the clear proof that Satyr's "artistic freedom" tend to became "delirium of omnipotence": 2 minutes of refrain? With the same riff?
I can accept it into a very good song, i can accept it in Burzum's "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" album, but that's another kind of Black Metal, totally different.
In Volcano's context it just sounds boring after the first 30 seconds.

Ok, it's a really good album, good ideas, welll structured songs, professionally played and produced. But from the mind beyond RE i was expecting more in terms of evolution

If the old school Satyricon's album were some rusted yet really sharp daggers, and if RE was a killer white glass razor, that Volcano is a Black Stainless Steel war-knife, even if not so sharp, and sometimes too shining to seem dangerous.

Written by | 11.10.2004

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 110 users
13.06.2009 - 05:47
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Yep. Hard to find a bad album with these guys. This is one of their worst efforts to me, and still has a great variety of songs and a nice atmosphere.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
24.12.2009 - 00:12
SatyriconChick

I love this album! "Repined Bastard Nation" is probably my favorite track. It just sticks out in my head for days after listening to the album.
26.09.2010 - 19:38
Rating: 10
lord artan

The best album I've heard...And i never forget it...never...because With this album i grow up.
26.09.2010 - 21:41
RavenKing

Written by Uirapuru on 13.06.2009 at 05:47

Hard to find a bad album with these guys.

You only need to check anything after "Nemesis Divina".
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
10.01.2011 - 06:28
BloodFireDeath

I loved this album.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
15.05.2011 - 20:37
Rating: 7
musicalkaratekid

This album is more about the riffs and the brutality of songs rather than the epicness that satyricon did so well back in the 90's....but this album is still pretty good! With ravenous hunger and angstridden are my two favourites on the album,but from then on it seems to get a bit disappointing for me.However, Black lava is one hell of a way to end an album! Not their best album by all means, but certainly one that catapulted them into the big wide world of music.
15.06.2011 - 02:15
Rating: 9
AXA

Regarding Satyricon's 2002 album Volcano, Satyr stated in a press release/biography that "the music is rock based but more extreme; it is black metal pushing the boundaries that began with bands like Venom and Bathory, reinventing ourselves based on a foundation of rock oriented Black Metal is our philosophy." Volcano won a total of four awards: the Norwegian Grammy for "Best Metal Album", an Alarm Award for Fuel For Hatred in the category for "Song of the Year", an Alarm Award for "Metal Album of the Year", and The Oslo Award for "Best Overall Album". \../
11.04.2018 - 19:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If we talk aboyt selling off boat DB and this band sold off their BM roots to something modern even DB still has a catch even imnage sucks, I hate their visuals
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 8507 | This month: 13