01. Flowers In The Rain
02. Waterbride
03. Fallen Leaves
04. Arion
05. Crystal Dance
06. Flowing Tears & Withered Flowers
07. ...Along A Dreamin' Ocean...
08. ...And I Drown...

So I'm sitting in the chilly late October night and trying to warm up my cold hands by writing this review about the album that's filling the evening air. Flowing Tears or Flowing Tears And Withered Flowers as they were known during their early days, is a German act of Gothic Metal. Their first release "Swansongs" appeared to the audiences in 1996. The style of the band during their early years was calm, maybe even far too calm for listeners who are willing to search power, anger and catchiness from the music. Of course, you have some harshness in the riffs and vocals of "Swansongs" too but it's surrounded by the thick layers of smooth melancholic Gothic fog.

The instrumental side contains the key characteristics of the album. Use of guitar melodies and keyboards is very expressive. Keyboard melodies are deep and prominent and the guitar riffs and melodies follow the standards of the old Gothic style of the nineties and eighties. Vocals are performed by Manfred Bersin. His singing is mostly soft and thoughtful but in some sequences exposes stronger and angrier characteristics. There are several passages where the singer speaks instead of singing accompanied by a subdued continuous melody.
As any other album, "Swansongs" has it's pros and cons. It definitely is not an album for every mood, every company and every moment. The songs are usually slow-paced, long (sometimes I'd say bit too long) and from time to time have the danger of sliding into repetitiveness. The spoken parts and the relatively narrow melodic range of the singer do suit the atmosphere but for someone who is used to listen catchy and melodic music may prove to be a bit boring. On the other hand, the band have done a fine job. This album is primarily a contemplation, a walk through the emotions and the possible thoughts evoked by the music, the lyrical content and the thoughts of oneself that may appear from wherever possible. The most melancholic and passionate tracks are the brilliant "Flowing Tears And Withered Flowers", a perfect and pure-style Gothic song and "Flowers In The Rain".

Listen to this album in the evening in dim light while sitting with people and having a cup of tea or alone and just emptying the head of all thoughts. It will be an experience.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Ernis | 20.11.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 30 users
09.09.2009 - 12:09
Rating: 8
In Bone Factory

Good review.90 per cent acceptance.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
31.12.2009 - 06:45
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
It has very dark atmosphere, depressive and catchy. and its cover art is very suitable and beautiful. nice review.
17.03.2023 - 12:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good review, I wish you could re write it in modern revive language as modern ms reviews are written
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.04.2023 - 15:15
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 17.03.2023 at 12:25

Good review, I wish you could re write it in modern revive language as modern ms reviews are written

Strewth mate, this review's like donkey's years old. Then again, it ain't that old either as the noughties were only ten years ago ey. Thanks for bringing it up tho, it's a nice album and suited well the atmosphere of that autumn in Beijing as we were heading into what turned out to be a freezing cold winter.

Not sure bout the modern revival lingo tho, haven't had time for reviews or albums really; it's all Spotify these days.
11.04.2023 - 15:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 11.04.2023 at 15:15

Strewth mate, this review's like donkey's years old. Then again, it ain't that old either as the noughties were only ten years ago ey. Thanks for bringing it up tho, it's a nice album and suited well the atmosphere of that autumn in Beijing as we were heading into what turned out to be a freezing cold winter.

Not sure bout the modern revival lingo tho, haven't had time for reviews or albums really; it's all Spotify these days.

Are you living in Estonia again or move to strange place?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.04.2023 - 15:31
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 11.04.2023 at 15:16

Written by Ernis on 11.04.2023 at 15:15

Are you living in Estonia again or move to strange place?

Nope, been livin' in the strangest places imaginable for years now. Even stranger than Estonia...

Hits total: 4446 | This month: 15