Metal Storm logo
Best Old School Thrash Metal singer

Original post

Posted by ToMegaTherion, 29.10.2009 - 05:14
This is a genre that is much less to do with the vocalist and much more to go with the guitar work. But still, what do you look for in an old thrash singer?
Passion, Range, Control, Tone, Style, Image... I suppose it is a much different style to other metal styles of singing, and definitely an art in itself.

I would vote for Chuck Billy, largely because he encompasses most of the other thrash styles in one. Whereas the other tend to master one or two aspects and restrict what they can do otherwise.

Poll

Best Old Thrash Voice

Chuck Billy (Testament)
James Hetfield (Metallica)
Tom Araya (Slayer)
Other (Please Specify)
Joey Belladonna (ex Anthrax)
Bobby "blitz" Ellsworth (Overkill)
Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
Paul Baloff (Exodus, Hirax, Heathen)
Mark Osegueda (Death Angel)

Total votes: 129
12.08.2011 - 17:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 12.08.2011 at 17:29
Eric Knutson does it better than both imo.

I've only heard one or two F&J releases, and I don't remember them well enough to agree or disagree.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.08.2011 - 17:34
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.08.2011 at 17:06

Written by Guest on 12.08.2011 at 15:14
Proves that not only harsh vocalists work with thrash.

Actually I think Toxik proved that better than anyone else.

I heard a Toxik once, pretty decent, and I'm givin' em another try.
Anthrax proved that too.
12.08.2011 - 23:08
Lit.
Account deleted
Bobby fucking Blitz. I haven't minded instrumentals from Overkill as much as his voice.
15.08.2011 - 01:15
strade
Definitely Russ Anderson for me, but one could argue how "old school" Forbidden is.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
15.08.2011 - 01:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by strade on 15.08.2011 at 01:15

Definitely Russ Anderson for me, but one could argue how "old school" Forbidden is.

As old school as Testament.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.08.2011 - 02:11
fabregassed
Account deleted

Why would Forbidden not be old school?
15.08.2011 - 02:13
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Two years later, it's still Keith Deans from Holy Terror. got that scorn-filled rapid fire delivery, but can also sing with some 'traditional' power when called upon.

still also dig Sean Killian's work on Vio-Lence' "Eternal Nightmare".
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.08.2011 - 02:18
strade
Written by Guest on 15.08.2011 at 02:11

Why would Forbidden not be old school?

Well, I guess that since they are thrash and they're from the eighties, they should probably be considered old school. I just think that Forbidden has a somewhat slowed down, very melodic nature (especially on Twisted Into Form) that never really busts out into the breakneck riffs that classic thrash bands such as Slayer or Kreator used. Sort of progressive/technical, but not in a complete sense. I think it just depends on what you mean by old school.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
16.08.2011 - 04:59
Mothman
I'm going with Chuck Billy. His voice was made for Thrash Metal, and it matches the group's style perfectly.
17.08.2011 - 07:58
king_matt
Chuck Billy has always been my favorite thrash metal vocalist.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
28.06.2020 - 22:17
Zopilote
Overall, Chuck Billy. Dude has been killing it since the very start, from around Low and Demonic until the present, he has been sounding better than ever IMO. At his best, Hetfield was the best Thrash singer IMO, his peak being on MOP and AJFA. He went downhill big time on The Black Album and everything after that.

So yeah, my vote goes to Chuck Billy.
28.06.2020 - 22:26
Zopilote
Written by bloodwrage on 19.11.2009 at 18:37

Why is Mustaine on this list? His own mother hates his voice.

Rofl

Agreed.
30.11.2020 - 11:38
JoHn Doe
Mark Osegueda (Death Angel)
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
17.12.2020 - 02:41
Metal Rasputin
Stace "Sheepdog" McLaren from Razor. Every name here is just fine, but none of them has a high-pitched hawk scream like McLaren does (or did). Other than that, he does have unique striking rough vocal style that really stands out and fits the style perfectly. Just listening to him makes my throat hurt in a good way.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
04.01.2021 - 06:33
sgtrobo
Nowhere near enough love for Eric A.K.
02.02.2021 - 12:05
Tom Muller
Eric A.K. is the man
----
Can you see it
15.05.2021 - 09:05
blackwreath13
Hetfield for his consistent improvement.
31.07.2021 - 22:25
Iwan Ruby
Joey Belladonna of all the lists in my opinion is the most unique vocalist character!
----
My Band COLDERRA
My Zine ORIDISTRO
07.08.2021 - 10:49
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor
Tough one, there isn't much between Hetfield and Chuck Billy Imo, but I would have to say Chuck Billy by a narrow margin.
07.08.2021 - 20:22
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
I voted for Chuck Billy. I love the raw energy in his voice in The Legacy - it sounded like a unique blend of Mustaine and Hetfield. (But also Chuck's powerful voice on Practice What You Preach and Testament's later work is great).
Similarly with Chuck, I like both Hetfield's youthful voice on Ride the Lightning and his angry voice on And Justice For All.
Mustaine has a unique singing style that fits Megadeth's music well, but is obviously not on the level of Dio, Dickinson, Halford, Hetfield, or Billy.
I like Tom Araya's voice on Show No Mercy, but after that it generally lost its emotion.
That's what I mainly look for, I guess: the emotion in the voice. I hate when vocalists sing in a monotonous way. I want the feeling that what they're singing about matters to them. For example, the vocals for Vektor might be jarring for some (they were for me initially), but now I really enjoy that strained voice because you can hear that emotion!
07.08.2021 - 22:25
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor
Written by F3ynman2000 on 07.08.2021 at 20:22

I voted for Chuck Billy. I love the raw energy in his voice in The Legacy - it sounded like a unique blend of Mustaine and Hetfield. (But also Chuck's powerful voice on Practice What You Preach and Testament's later work is great).

I was never sure who my favourite was out of Hetfield and Chuck, until I heard Chuck's vocals on the album The Gathering, his vocal range went from Harsh (Death Metal sounding), to clean, I had almost mistaken him for another vocslist, it was a great vocal performance Imo.
18.03.2024 - 19:24
Overkill83
Holy Terror's Keith Deen!!!
24.03.2024 - 01:12
Joppe
Steelemeister
I agree about Erik A.K and Keith Deen. However the Steelemeister choice must be, due to my recent listenings (and to state something original, as well):

Jan Lubitzki of Depressive Age

Didn't see that coming, did you? BAM, you just got Steelemeistered!

Extra shoutouts go to Charles Sabin (Toxik) and Jimmy Hamilton (Intruder). I'm missing some major name, don't I? Maybe it comes back to me and I will edit.

----
My vision is augmented