Metal Storm logo
Plz recommend me best Doom Metal albums you heard (I preffer unfamous)

27.11.2009 - 18:03
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I like Doom Metal and want to know more about nice albums and bands. plz just recommend nice albums or even songs over here and discuss about them. not important if its famous either. I recommend you to take alook at Forest Of Shadows's "Where Dreams Turn To Dust" EP album. and surely take a look "Eternal Autumn" which is in that album either. but find the self-released one which is not in the cd, its more nice I think. and the other song which I recommend you is "Black God" by MDB, which one of the best Doom songs Ive ever heard! a song which doesnt have any Drums, Bass and Guitars! just Keboards (MDB have other songs like this). I have a tattoo on my breast called Black God by old english font hehe! but not as my nick screams! a normal one!
27.11.2009 - 19:15
Syk
myspace/bonerama
My first favourite doom works to come to mind are two well-known pieces, first Paradise Lost's Gothic because I love almost every song, and Anathema's The Silent Enigma mainly for tracks 1, 2, 7 and 8. Another favourite would be UTDDDD by The Disciples Of Zoldon (all full MP3s on the website) and the doom pair on the Recruit EP - 'Tis the Dead Ye Shall Dread and Sorrow on the Morrow. (Don't take the lyrics seriously...)

Oh of course I love nearly anything by Cathedral, particularly in the early - mid 90s. They probably slipped my mind just cos a few hours ago, I was watching the Midnight Mountain video... one of my very top favourites but totally not doomy! (I regard the album containing this song as easily one of the best in my collection)
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
27.11.2009 - 19:28
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Syk on 27.11.2009 at 19:15

... UTDDDD by The Disciples Of Zoldon (all full MP3s on the website) and the doom pair on the Recruit EP - 'Tis the Dead Ye Shall Dread and Sorrow on the Morrow. (Don't take the lyrics seriously...)

now Im listetning the mypace songs, it seems nice.
27.11.2009 - 20:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I cant recomend you albums but bands, long ago when I start listen doom metal and write down all bands what I liked n have herad, ok maybe lsit is old there isnt 2008, 2009 bands, but ll from those bands you shood hear, bands in list I have heard all and it was old good school years hehhehe realy a doom metal bands what you shood hear in lifetime

DOOM:
1)Atmoferic doom - , Aggaloch, The 3rd and the Mortal, Abysmal Grief, Adagio(Brazil), Avrigus(Aus), Dead Wish, Dimness Through Infinity, Dis Pater, Distress(Fra), Estatic Fear, Golgotha(Es), Theatre of Tragedy(OLD), The Mist and the Morning Dew, Rapture,

2)Black Doom: All Shades of Grey, Beatrik, Bethlehem(Dark metal album only), Cultus Sanguine, Darkflight and other Ivo Iljev project Dreamflight, Deinonychus, Forgotten Tomb, Gardens of Gehenna, Katatonia(Only doom era, I even dont wanna hear nowdays SHIT of band), Mourning Dawn, Nightly Gale, Ocean Of Sorrow, Sarkus, Souldust, Tristitia, Woods Of Belial

3)Death/Doom: All Dies, Amber Tears, Anathema(only firts realises), Antestor, Apostate, Ars Moriendi, Ashes You Leave, Astral Rising, Ataraxie, Autumnal, Bellator, Bitterdusk, The Blood Divine, Blood Tears(Bra), Bloody Wings, Catacombs, Ceremonium, C.O.D. , Crestfallen, Crush Evil, Criptal Darkness(aka The Eternal), Daedeloth, Dawn Of Gehenna, Decemberance, Decomposed, Desire, Devout, Discrucior, diSEMBOWELMENT, Dissolving of Prodigy, Dissonance, Doomsday, Dusk, Earthcorpse, Ekklesiast, Elsyum(AKA Stone Wings), Enchantment, Eria d'Or, Eternal Darkness, Eternal Tear, Evoken, Eyes of Ligeia, Fall of Empyrean, The Fall Of Every Season, Forest of Shadows, Forest Stream, Insanity Reigns Supreme, Lapsus Dei, Mael Mórdha, Mar de Grises, Morgion, Mourning Beloveth, Musaka, My Dying Bride, My Shamefull, Mystic Charm, Mythic, Mythological Cold Towers, Ningizzia, Novembers Doom, October Tide, Officium Triste, Ophis, Ordog, Paradigma, Paradise Lost(ONLY firts 5 albums), Paramaecium, Poema Arcanus, Runemagic, Saturnus, Serpent Rise, Solarfall, This Tangled Web, Thorr's Hammer, Thy Sinister Bloom, Vaikus, Whispering Forest, Why Angels Fall, Winter,

4)Funeral Doom: Ahab, Asunder, Beprasmybe, Beyond Black Void, Colosseum, Consummatum Est, Dark Abyss, Dictator, Dionysian, Dusk Ov Shadows, The Eleventh Room, The Ethereal, Funeral, The Funeral Orchestra, Funerary Dirge, I Drowned In A Stream Of Mourn, Longing For Dawn, Lux Incerta, Misery, Monolithe, Mournful Congregation, Night Must Fall, Nortt, Oktor, Remembrance, Shape Of Despair, Skepticism, Solicide, Stabat Mater, Thergothon, Through the Valley, Tyranny, Until Death Overtakes Me, Worship

5)Gothic/Doom: Autumn(Rus), Autumn Flowers, Black Fever, Cemetery of Scream, Chalice, Dark Embrace, Desiderium, Draconian, Ecthalion, Elbereth, Evadne, Even Vast, Heaven Grey, How Like a Winter, Lacrimas Profundere(ONLY old albums, I even dont wanna hear new gay/emo days works, adult poeple emo, shame),Lake of Tears , Left Hand Solution, Lords of the Stone, Luminaria, Revelation, Silent Cry, Sundial, Thorns of the Carrion, Type o Negative

6)Sludge/Doom: 13, 137, Acid Bath , Beaten Back To Pure, Bone to Rust, Crowbar, and many others

7)Stoner/Doom: Cathedral, Electric Wizard, Grand Magus, High On Fire, and others

8)Traditional Doom: Black Sabbath, Bretwaldas of Heathen Doom, Paul Chain(Paolo Chianti), Candlemass, Cold Mourning, Count Raven, Dark Quarterer, Doomsword, Dawn of Winter, Doomraiser, Dream Death, Earthride, Faith, Fall of the Idols,Forlom, Forsaken, The Gates of Slumber, Hymn to the Ancient,Isole, Memento Mori, Memory Garden, , The Obsessed, Orodruin, Pagan Altar, Pale Divine, Penance, Raven Blacl Night, Rose, Rote Mare, Saint Vitus, Solitude Auhernus, Svald, Seprpent, Sorrows Path, Spirit Caravan, Solstice, Thunderstorm, Troble, Warning, Well of Souls, While Heaven Wept, Whitchfider General
If you wanna doom you get it, those are doom bands what I like , maybe some genre classification might be wrnig but what a hack

I can not suggest you some songs from band,s depends of your mood, but if you open each band mypscae you get pretty good idea what music band plays and 90% is possible get in myspace 10% of list isnt, but doomsters always know where get those bands, damn I hav eno time in mortal world, butr its be good stay in afterlife's purgatory so long till you wont hear all those bands , realy I like those all and have hear/lisetn all bands in list in last 6 years

DOOM:
1)Atmoferic doom - , Aggaloch, The 3rd and the Mortal, Abysmal Grief, Adagio(Brazil), Avrigus(Aus), Dead Wish, Dimness Through Infinity, Dis Pater, Distress(Fra), Estatic Fear, Golgotha(Es), Theatre of Tragedy(OLD), The Mist and the Morning Dew, Rapture,

2)Black Doom: All Shades of Grey, Beatrik, Bethlehem(Dark metal album only), Cultus Sanguine, Darkflight and other Ivo Iljev project Dreamflight, Deinonychus, Forgotten Tomb, Gardens of Gehenna, Katatonia(Only doom era, I even dont wanna hear nowdays SHIT of band), Mourning Dawn, Nightly Gale, Ocean Of Sorrow, Sarkus, Souldust, Tristitia, Woods Of Belial

3)Death/Doom: All Dies, Amber Tears, Anathema(only firts realises), Antestor, Apostate, Ars Moriendi, Ashes You Leave, Astral Rising, Ataraxie, Autumnal, Bellator, Bitterdusk, The Blood Divine, Blood Tears(Bra), Bloody Wings, Catacombs, Ceremonium, C.O.D. , Crestfallen, Crush Evil, Criptal Darkness(aka The Eternal), Daedeloth, Dawn Of Gehenna, Decemberance, Decomposed, Desire, Devout, Discrucior, diSEMBOWELMENT, Dissolving of Prodigy, Dissonance, Doomsday, Dusk, Earthcorpse, Ekklesiast, Elsyum(AKA Stone Wings), Enchantment, Eria d'Or, Eternal Darkness, Eternal Tear, Evoken, Eyes of Ligeia, Fall of Empyrean, The Fall Of Every Season, Forest of Shadows, Forest Stream, Insanity Reigns Supreme, Lapsus Dei, Mael Mórdha, Mar de Grises, Morgion, Mourning Beloveth, Musaka, My Dying Bride, My Shamefull, Mystic Charm, Mythic, Mythological Cold Towers, Ningizzia, Novembers Doom, October Tide, Officium Triste, Ophis, Ordog, Paradigma, Paradise Lost(ONLY firts 5 albums), Paramaecium, Poema Arcanus, Runemagic, Saturnus, Serpent Rise, Solarfall, This Tangled Web, Thorr's Hammer, Thy Sinister Bloom, Vaikus, Whispering Forest, Why Angels Fall, Winter,

4)Funeral Doom: Ahab, Asunder, Beprasmybe, Beyond Black Void, Colosseum, Consummatum Est, Dark Abyss, Dictator, Dionysian, Dusk Ov Shadows, The Eleventh Room, The Ethereal, Funeral, The Funeral Orchestra, Funerary Dirge, I Drowned In A Stream Of Mourn, Longing For Dawn, Lux Incerta, Misery, Monolithe, Mournful Congregation, Night Must Fall, Nortt, Oktor, Remembrance, Shape Of Despair, Skepticism, Solicide, Stabat Mater, Thergothon, Through the Valley, Tyranny, Until Death Overtakes Me, Worship

5)Gothic/Doom: Autumn(Rus), Autumn Flowers, Black Fever, Cemetery of Scream, Chalice, Dark Embrace, Desiderium, Draconian, Ecthalion, Elbereth, Evadne, Even Vast, Heaven Grey, How Like a Winter, Lacrimas Profundere(ONLY old albums, I even dont wanna hear new gay/emo days works, adult poeple emo, shame),Lake of Tears , Left Hand Solution, Lords of the Stone, Luminaria, Revelation, Silent Cry, Sundial, Thorns of the Carrion, Type o Negative

6)Sludge/Doom: 13, 137, Acid Bath , Beaten Back To Pure, Bone to Rust, Crowbar, and many others

7)Stoner/Doom: Cathedral, Electric Wizard, Grand Magus, High On Fire, and others

8)Traditional Doom: Black Sabbath, Bretwaldas of Heathen Doom, Paul Chain(Paolo Chianti), Candlemass, Cold Mourning, Count Raven, Dark Quarterer, Doomsword, Dawn of Winter, Doomraiser, Dream Death, Earthride, Faith, Fall of the Idols,Forlom, Forsaken, The Gates of Slumber, Hymn to the Ancient,Isole, Memento Mori, Memory Garden, , The Obsessed, Orodruin, Pagan Altar, Pale Divine, Penance, Raven Blacl Night, Rose, Rote Mare, Saint Vitus, Solitude Auhernus, Svald, Seprpent, Sorrows Path, Spirit Caravan, Solstice, Thunderstorm, Troble, Warning, Well of Souls, While Heaven Wept, Whitchfider General
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.11.2009 - 23:41
Syk
myspace/bonerama
K7... I think you fucked up... in more than one place.
Written by Bad English on 27.11.2009 at 20:56
3)Death/Doom: Paradise Lost(ONLY firts 5 albums)
Was PL really death doom until 1995? Gothic was around 1991; it doesn't sound very much like the typical death doom, and I figured that they moved away from that and closer to the electro/80s-goth sound fairly quickly - like a parallel to Anathema moving from metal to rock, but around 4-5 years earlier...

I didn't see any mention of The Gathering in your post - have you heard their early work? Is it relevant to doom metal? Is it relevant to good metal? The other day I was reading some reviews of high praise for either their 1st or 2nd...

And does High on Fire have any actual doom?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
27.11.2009 - 23:44
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
This list cant help me man! cause I know where can I find alot of names! I just wanna listen to the exactly nice albums then I can choose the bands. if I hate the best album by a band then I wont try it.
27.11.2009 - 23:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=31891] on 27.11.2009 at 23:44

This list cant help me man! cause I know where can I find alot of names! I just wanna listen to the exactly nice albums then I can choose the bands. if I hate the best album by a band then I wont try it.

Try Luminaria - ''Arche'' its ep but awesome, gothic/doom metal, realy deep meale vocals mix whit female vocals
Dis Pater - ''Princess Of Emerald Garden'' awesoem gothic/doom album from Russian band its so romantic like soft dance whit beloved one .... before you kill her
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.11.2009 - 00:03
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 27.11.2009 at 23:47

Written by [user id=31891] on 27.11.2009 at 23:44

Try Luminaria - ''Arche'' its ep but awesome, gothic/doom metal, realy deep meale vocals mix whit female vocals
Dis Pater - ''Princess Of Emerald Garden'' awesoem gothic/doom album from Russian band its so romantic like soft dance whit beloved one .... before you kill her

I was listening to Arabesque Pre Version right now and I found it a little black gothic metal man! am I wrong then? or whatever gothic black metal dont know!
28.11.2009 - 19:41
the stranger
Try both albums of Estatic Fear and the demo of The Living Fields.
28.11.2009 - 21:19
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by the stranger on 28.11.2009 at 19:41

... and the demo of The Living Fields.

nice band but they can be better. now Im listetning to them on their myspace site.

the miserises never cease is a nice song.
29.11.2009 - 03:34
the stranger
Written by [user id=31891] on 28.11.2009 at 21:19

nice band but they can be better. now Im listetning to them on their myspace site.

Yeah, but remember that it is a demo. For being a demo it's really good. Are there songs of their lonely album on myspace? I got the demo five years ago when you could download it from their site.
29.11.2009 - 20:01
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by the stranger on 29.11.2009 at 03:34

Written by [user id=31891] on 28.11.2009 at 21:19

Yeah, but remember that it is a demo. For being a demo it's really good. Are there songs of their lonely album on myspace? I got the demo five years ago when you could download it from their site.

you can listen to the tracks even if you are not registered to myspace, try it here:

http://www.myspace.com/thelivingfields
01.12.2009 - 19:04
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
One of the really underated bands called Count Raven. try their first album called "Storm Warning". I really enjoyed it when I heard it. its traditional Doom just for more information.
03.12.2009 - 15:11
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Another album which I recommend is "Harbinger Of Metal" [EP] by Reverend Bizarre, which is very depress album IMO with pure Doom elements. you can here some nice soft vocals on this album. really recommend it to Traditional listiners.
03.12.2009 - 16:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Best doom metal albums ever?

For me personally that would be the following 85 albums by 51 bands.
What is included is everything from traditional to epic to death/doom to doom/death to black/doom to sludge to stoner etc etc, but NO pure drone.

Anathema - Serenades [death/doom]
Anathema - The Silent Enigma [death/doom]

Acid Bath - When The Kite String Pops [sludge]
Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Tactics [sludge]

Bethlehem - Dark Metal [doom/black]
Bethlehem - Dictius Te Necare [doom/black]
Bethlehem - S.U.I.Z.I.D. [doom/black]

Burning Witch - Crippled Lucifer [sludge with some very slight drone]

Candlemass - Epicus, Doomicus, Metallicus [epic doom]
Candlemass - Nightfall [epic doom]

Celestial Season - Forever Scarlet Passion [death/doom]
Celestial Season - Solar Lovers [death/doom where some stoner already creeps in]

Corrupted - El Mundo Frio [sludge]

Count Raven - Destruction Of The Void [traditional doom]
Count Raven - High On Infinity [traditional doom]

diSEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence Into The Peripheral [doom/death]

Dolorian - When All The Laughter Has Gone [black/doom]

Esoteric - Epistemological Despondency [funeral doom with some psychedelic influences]
Esoteric - The Pernicious Enigma [funeral doom with some psychedelic influences]
Esoteric - Subconscious Dissolution into the Continuum [funeral doom with some psychedelic influences]
Esoteric - Maniacal Vale [funeral doom with some psychedelic influences]

Evoken - Embrace The Emptiness [funeral doom with some death influences]
Evoken - Quietus [funeral doom with some death influences]

Eyehategod - Take Needed As Pain [sludge]
Eyehategod - Dopesick [sludge]

Forest Stream - Tears Of Mortal Solitude [black/gothic/doom]

Grief - Come To Grief [sludge]

Griftegard - Psalmbok e.p. [epic doom]

Katatonia - Dance Of December Souls [black/doom]
Katatonia - Brave Murder Day [death/doom]

Khanate - Khanate [drone with loads of sludge influences]
Khanate - Things Viral [drone with loads of sludge influences]

Kyuss - Blues From The Red Sun [stoner doom]
Kyuss - Kyuss (also known as Welcome To Sky Valley) [stoner doom]

Krux - Krux [traditional doom bordering on epic doom]
Krux - Krux II [tradtional doom bordering on epic doom]

Mar De Grises - The Tatterdemalion Express [death/doom with loads of progressive influences]

Morgion - Solinari [death/doom]

Mournful Congregation - The Monad Of Creation [funeral doom]

Mourning Beloveth - Dust [death/doom]
Mourning Beloveth - The Sullen Sulcus [death/doom]

My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers [death/doom]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans [death/doom]
My Dying Bride - The Angel And The Dark River [death/doom]

Orodruin - Epicurean Mass [traditional doom with epic undertone]

Paradise Lost - Lost Paradise [death/doom]
Paradise Lost - Shades Of God [death/doom with loads of traditional heavy metal influences]

Penance - The Road Less Travelled [traditional doom with some slight death influences]

Pentagram - Pentagram (later re-released as Relentless) [traditional doom]
Pentagram - Be Forewarned [traditional doom]

Place Of Skulls - The Black Is Never Far [traditional doom]

Process Of Guilt - Erosion [post doom with some slight death influences]

Procession - The Cult Of Disease e.p. [epic doom]

Revelation - Salvation's Answer [tradtional doom]
Revelation - Never Comes Silence [traditional doom]

Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend [traditional doom]
Reverend Bizarre - So Long Suckers [traditional doom]

Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus [traditional doom]
Saint Vitus - Born Too Late [traditional doom]
Saint Vitus - V [traditional doom]
Saint Vitus - Die Healing [traditional doom]

Sempiternal Deathreign - The Spooky Gloom [doom/death]

Shape Of Despair - Shades Of... [funeral doom]

Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet [funeral doom]
Skepticism - Lead And Aether [funeral doom]
Skepticism - Farmakon [funeral doom]

Solitude Aeturnus - Into The Depths Of Sorrow [epic doom]
Solitude Aeturnus - Beyond The Crimson Horizon [epic doom]
Solitude Aeturnus - Through The Darkest Hour [epic doom]

Solstice - New Dark Age [epic doom]

Spina Bifida - Ziyadaah [death/doom]

Stillborn - Necrospirituals [traditional doom where some death creeps in]

The Obsessed - Lunar Womb [traditional doom]
The Obsessed - The Obsessed [traditional doom]

Thergothon - Stream From The Heavens [funeral doom]

Thorr's Hammer - Dommedagsnatt e.p. [death/doom with some slight funeral influences]

Trouble - Trouble (later renamed to Psalm 9) [traditional doom]
Trouble - The Skull [traditional doom]

Unholy - From The Shadows [funeral doom]
Unholy - The Second Ring of Power [funeral doom]

Warning - Watching From A Distance [epic doom]

While Heaven Wept - Sorrow Of The Angels [epic doom]
While Heaven Wept - Of Empires Forlorn [epic doom]

Winter - Into Darkness [doom/death]

Worship - Las CD/Vinyl/Cassette Before Doomsday [funeral doom]
Worship - Dooom [funeral doom]
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.12.2009 - 16:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Syk on 27.11.2009 at 23:41

and I figured that they moved away from that and closer to the electro/80s-goth sound fairly quickly

They moved to the horrendous electro/80s POP after Draconian Times (so after 1995) Their first two albums were pure death/doom (yes Gothic IS death/doom and the three after that were more like death/doom mixed with a traditional heavy metal sound) So both Paradise Lost and Anathema started moving aways from their good old sound after 1995.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.12.2009 - 22:30
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Oh... Marcel... you should have labeled all those albums... I am now totally consumed by doom/stoner/sludge. So which Traditional Doom things should I check out? I like the groove... right now checking Church of Misery out.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
04.12.2009 - 10:57
kesh
Account deleted
@K?ulu

Doom/stoner/sludge, heard 'YOB - The Great Cessation'? Really enjoying that album at the moment, Burning the Altar getting alot of plays.

@Bad English

I didn't even know there were that many doom bands.

@Marcel Hubregtse

Excellent list Marcel, you even included the two Unholy albums. Can't wait for the new release of there's, as there promising, it's going to be back to the same very strange unique sound of there first two albums. With all the ancient South American symbolism thrown into the art work, i hope. Think i'd of added 'Metamorphogenesis' as there's nothing out there that quite compares to it, also it was the first esoteric album i'd heard and as you can imagine, it came as abit of a shock!

A few here i'm going to have to check out though: Krux, Spina Bifida, Sempiternal Deathreign etc. Couple i'd add would be:

Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea (doom/death)
Some early Sabbath (trad doom)
Forgotten Tomb - Springtime Depression (black/doom)
Mournful Congregation - The June Frost (doom)
04.12.2009 - 15:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=1843] on 04.12.2009 at 10:57

@Marcel Hubregtse

Excellent list Marcel, you even included the two Unholy albums. Can't wait for the new release of there's, as there promising, it's going to be back to the same very strange unique sound of there first two albums. With all the ancient South American symbolism thrown into the art work, i hope. Think i'd of added 'Metamorphogenesis' as there's nothing out there that quite compares to it, also it was the first esoteric album i'd heard and as you can imagine, it came as abit of a shock!

A few here i'm going to have to check out though: Krux, Spina Bifida, Sempiternal Deathreign etc. Couple i'd add would be:

Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea (doom/death)
Some early Sabbath (trad doom)
Forgotten Tomb - Springtime Depression (black/doom)
Mournful Congregation - The June Frost (doom)

Thanks for calling my list excellent.

I mentioned the first two Unholy albums and not the other two because the first two are way more original and haunting. The other two are good, no doubt about it, but they just can't compare to the first two.

I didn't mention any Black Sabbath album cause all of their albums always had a couple of filler bad tracks on them and most of their albums aren't 100% doom anyway.

I did however play with the thought of including Ahab's first and Mournful Congregation's last one and also Forgotten Tomb's Springtime Depression, but somehow decided against it. Thos three albums can be considered must hear after the 85 i posted
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.12.2009 - 15:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 03.12.2009 at 22:30

Oh... Marcel... you should have labeled all those albums... I am now totally consumed by doom/stoner/sludge. So which Traditional Doom things should I check out? I like the groove... right now checking Church of Misery out.

I first wanted to label it all but decided against it. But because you asked I have now labeled it.

Loads of traditional doom has a stonerish vibe to it (St. Vitus, The Obsessed, Place Of Skull, Revelation, Trouble and especially newer Trouble has loads of stoner to it) so check most of that out.

An album you would like being stoner is Acrimony - Tumuli Shroomaroom and of course all of Church Of Misery's stuff. I just love their obsession with serial and the news broadcasts they use for that. But then again you're already checking them out. Other good stoner would be Celestial Season from Sonic Orb onwards, so not the two albums I mentioned cause they are way more death/doom
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.12.2009 - 18:13
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.12.2009 at 15:36

Written by K✞ulu on 03.12.2009 at 22:30

I first wanted to label it all but decided against it. But because you asked I have now labeled it.

Loads of traditional doom has a stonerish vibe to it (St. Vitus, The Obsessed, Place Of Skull, Revelation, Trouble and especially newer Trouble has loads of stoner to it) so check most of that out.

An album you would like being stoner is Acrimony - Tumuli Shroomaroom and of course all of Church Of Misery's stuff. I just love their obsession with serial and the news broadcasts they use for that. But then again you're already checking them out. Other good stoner would be Celestial Season from Sonic Orb onwards, so not the two albums I mentioned cause they are way more death/doom

Good job on the labeling and thanks for the recommendations. By the way, what do you think about Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell or just Draconian period. I listened to it the other day, and it felt totally like not my cup of tea.

Written by [user id=1843] on 04.12.2009 at 10:57

@K?ulu
Doom/stoner/sludge, heard 'YOB - The Great Cessation'? Really enjoying that album at the moment, Burning the Altar getting alot of plays.

I just listened to it today for the first time... no opinion yet.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

04.12.2009 - 18:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 04.12.2009 at 18:13

Good job on the labeling and thanks for the recommendations. By the way, what do you think about Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell or just Draconian period. I listened to it the other day, and it felt totally like not my cup of tea.

PLease don't get me started on Draconian I totally hate their brand of doom metal, way too gothicy for my tastes. And live they were crap as well (read my Madrid Is The Dark review)
But one of their bandmembers has a side project called
Doom:VS which is totally great. Go and check that one out.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.12.2009 - 18:26
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Marcel's list is a nice one, some of them are my fovorites some I ddint listened yet and some are not my taste. but really confused. cause I can see any Saturnus albums over there! really you dont count them here Marcel? or its not your compelete list?
04.12.2009 - 18:28
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.12.2009 at 18:22

Written by K✞ulu on 04.12.2009 at 18:13

PLease don't get me started on Draconian I totally hate their brand of doom metal, way too gothicy for my tastes. And live they were crap as well (read my Madrid Is The Dark review)
But one of their bandmembers has a side project called
Doom:VS which is totally great. Go and check that one out.

I definitely wasn't getting you started on Draconian... I didn't like it either... it's indeed to gothy (for me) and kinda too mellow/melodic/cheesy or something.

Doom:VS... ok... funeral doom... not so sure about that. I tried Maniacal Vale, and I gave up on it... Ahab... not so interesting either. Well, Maniacal Vale started to show some VERY little beauty to me after MANY listens, so I will probably listen to it again soon, but it's SO long that it's almost impossible to sit through the whole album concentrated you know.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

04.12.2009 - 18:29
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@ktulu, dont you remember that I was whining alot cause of metalstorm awards last year? they had to put Draconian's album on gothic list which they wasnt in the list!
04.12.2009 - 18:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Hehe... I always thought that Khanate had lots of sludge influence and I was surprised that I never read a review that mentioned those touches so I thought I was insane... And also I don't understand why Things Viral is labeled by many as the worst one because I think it's a crushing masterpiece of the genre.

Marcel, you just remained me that I HAVE to get some Unholy since they are quite cheap here.. I'm just lazy, I really like most of the stuff I heard and it seems like every album is worth buying which I think it's very nice. I'm not that into female vocalists but everytime I hear the vocals from "...Of tragedy" I just fall in love with them... They are so amazing and I feel like I just took a psychedelic trip, floating in the air.
Really nice band.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.12.2009 - 19:24
HugeTheConqeror
I'll join in the lovefest for Marcel's list - it is quite good.

One band I did not see mentioned anywhere is Coffins, who play a really gritty, dirt-under-your-fingernails style of Death/Doom w/ some Sludge elements.

Also, since the OP specifically requested albums that might not be so well known, let me recommend "Impulse," an EP recently released by Polish band Blindead. Progressive and Doomy - this would be the perfect soundtrack to one of the Alien movies.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
04.12.2009 - 19:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by HugeTheConqeror on 04.12.2009 at 19:24

One band I did not see mentioned anywhere is Coffins, who play a really gritty, dirt-under-your-fingernails style of Death/Doom w/ some Sludge elements.

I know you would bring them up. I considered them for a second (just like The Gates Of Slumber and so many other bands). The reason I decided against including them is that they haven't released a totally overpowering album, yet(?)
You know how much I love them. Btw, got my Coffins - Bloody Gore In Coffin longesleeve today together with all three versions of the Coffins/Lobotomized split (damn I love the brown coloured disc)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.12.2009 - 20:08
HugeTheConqeror
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.12.2009 at 19:45

Written by HugeTheConqeror on 04.12.2009 at 19:24

I know you would bring them up. I considered them for a second (just like The Gates Of Slumber and so many other bands). The reason I decided against including them is that they haven't released a totally overpowering album, yet(?)
You know how much I love them. Btw, got my Coffins - Bloody Gore In Coffin longesleeve today together with all three versions of the Coffins/Lobotomized split (damn I love the brown coloured disc)

And I knew that you would be the first to jump on my comment. I figured you may have left them (and The Gates Of Slumber) off because they were fairly well-known.

Gotta disagree, though, about the lack of an overwhelming album - Buried Death really does it for me.

Still waiting on my Coffins/Lobotomized split - shipping from Sweden to the U.S. takes a while, I imagine.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
04.12.2009 - 20:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by HugeTheConqeror on 04.12.2009 at 20:08

And I knew that you would be the first to jump on my comment. I figured you may have left them (and The Gates Of Slumber) off because they were fairly well-known.

Gotta disagree, though, about the lack of an overwhelming album - Buried Death really does it for me.

Still waiting on my Coffins/Lobotomized split - shipping from Sweden to the U.S. takes a while, I imagine.

It took the split a week to reach me from Sweden so, yeah, it will probably take a lot longer for it to arrive in the US.

I didn't leave Coffins and The Gates Of Slumber off cause they are pretty well-known, IMO they are fairly unknown, especially Coffins. Just look at my list I have My Dying Bride and Candlemass on there and they are infinitely more well-known than Coffins and TGOS
But maybe in a year or two Buried Death and Conqueror will be on it. It's always hard to judge the timelessness of material when it's quite new. That's why there isn't too much very very recent stuff on there. The only release from this year I am 100% sure that will go down as a genre classic is Erosion by Process Of Guilt due to its uniqueness.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996