Metal Storm logo
Within Temptation

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 02.08.2006 - 19:20
There was no topic about this great Dutch band, so, here it is.

I love this band, I have the 3 albums and love them, specially "Mother Earth" and "The Silent Force" , the lyrical content, the music itself and the beautiful Sharon's voice make this band unique. Now I'm looking forward to get last DVD.

So, welcome to the thread!
19.08.2006 - 02:32
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
Written by Susan on 19.08.2006 at 01:37

Written by [user id=12867] on 18.08.2006 at 13:04

A very boring band in my opinion, they fail to keep me interested due to their monotonous sound they provide and the whole 'beauty and the beast' idea is overused if anything... also, their sound is far too commercial now, so I fail to see me listening and ejoying them in the future...

Within Temptation hasn't done "beauty and the beast" style singing since 1998.

I agree with you 100% that they are "far too commercial now" and that they have become "a very boring band" with makes me sad since they used to be good

I'm aware of that Lyrinan, Of course I was referring to their older material , but even now, without that theme in their music, I still find them to be a bore...
20.08.2006 - 12:55
Anathemani@c
Within Temptation is a very good band, but however they are too trendy...Here in Greece their songs are played in radios that have nothing to do with metal and even rock.
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
21.08.2006 - 06:49
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Anathemani@c on 20.08.2006 at 12:55

Within Temptation is a very good band, but however they are too trendy...Here in Greece their songs are played in radios that have nothing to do with metal and even rock.

That is not been trendy; perhaps it is just that they have easy listening, commercial and catchy music which is easy to get into. That is common to happen in female fronted bands that don't use growls.
----
Christless
21.08.2006 - 14:59
Anathemani@c
Written by Darth Satanious on 21.08.2006 at 06:49

That is not been trendy; perhaps it is just that they have easy listening, commercial and catchy music which is easy to get into. That is common to happen in female fronted bands that don't use growls.

There are also female fronted bands that have nothing to do with such 'easy listening, commercial and catchy music' and I 'm not talking about Arch Enemy, but even about Nightwish or Lacuna Coil and The Gathering. These bands are easy listening too, but they are not played in such radios. Or... maybe Lacuna Coil is played, but Nightwish and The Gathering are surely not!
----
Trapped in time
23.08.2006 - 00:35
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Anathemani@c on 21.08.2006 at 14:59

There are also female fronted bands that have nothing to do with such 'easy listening, commercial and catchy music' and I 'm not talking about Arch Enemy, but even about Nightwish or Lacuna Coil and The Gathering. These bands are easy listening too, but they are not played in such radios. Or... maybe Lacuna Coil is played, but Nightwish and The Gathering are surely not!

I haven't heard Within Temptation in the radio while I do have heard Nightwish. There are several factors that will determine the exposure in the media of a band and these may include: the promotion of the band from the label, the music of the band (how complex and heavy it is) and the lyrics. I do consider Nightwish to be a band with a commercial style; not everything that doesn't receive support from the US is immediately fit for calling it underground. Of course, having a commercial style and making music for the sake of selling records is not something that has to go hand by hand. Cristina Scabbia was recently in the front cover of the Rolling Stones magazine so I don't think I need to say much about them.
----
Christless
23.08.2006 - 01:35
Bitch Boy
And is it bad to be played on the radio??
23.08.2006 - 02:06
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I partially agree with PRIMAL FEAR over here. I used to like this band, especially their first release and then well, they started to bore me. I do have to acknowledge two songs that I believe are excellent, Deep Within from Enter which is IMO their most majestic song and because I'm not a fan of Miss Den Adel and I don't miss her vocals in this song at all. Great riffs and male choir just make it so hauting. The second however is Aquarius, but I do believe I'm bond to this song for personal reasons (I know that song was playing once in the bakcground when smth happened ), but still melodicaly I find it as one of the best WT ever made.

I can listen to WT once in a while, but usually a couple of songs I like, I could never say I like an entire album of theirs and I have all of them.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
23.08.2006 - 05:20
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by Bitch Boy on 23.08.2006 at 01:35

I think it isn't so good, although it deppends of the station that plays the band, IMO, stuff played on the radio is stuff for anyone, many times crappy music if it's played in a popular radio
If it is a rock or some cultural station, it's not that bad, but anyways, it's a sign of popularity and that's not the idea with this metal
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
23.08.2006 - 15:05
Anathemani@c
Written by Darth Satanious on 23.08.2006 at 00:35

I haven't heard Within Temptation in the radio while I do have heard Nightwish. There are several factors that will determine the exposure in the media of a band and these may include: the promotion of the band from the label, the music of the band (how complex and heavy it is) and the lyrics. I do consider Nightwish to be a band with a commercial style; not everything that doesn't receive support from the US is immediately fit for calling it underground. Of course, having a commercial style and making music for the sake of selling records is not something that has to go hand by hand. Cristina Scabbia was recently in the front cover of the Rolling Stones magazine so I don't think I need to say much about them.

I was talking about trendy radio stations, if you actually read my topic.. And I'm talking about radio stations that play bob sinclair and dj tiesto. Do you find it normal??? Cause I don't find it normal...
----
Trapped in time
23.08.2006 - 20:24
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Bitch Boy on 23.08.2006 at 01:35

It doesn't matter a thing. The only thing that we should care about is the quality of the music. That there are several bands out there which are shit and they are commercial at the same time? That is granted. Now, not all commercial music is worthless.

Written by Anathemani@c on 23.08.2006 at 15:05

I was talking about trendy radio stations, if you actually read my topic.. And I'm talking about radio stations that play bob sinclair and dj tiesto. Do you find it normal??? Cause I don't find it normal...

The station that played Nightwish was one which features Pop, Rock, Techno and I even think that I have heard Rap there so it is a music station with pretty popular music there. I won't call a station trendy for we live in a World where we have to give into trends: some for our own pleasure and some because we have no other choice.
----
Christless
23.08.2006 - 20:48
Bitch Boy
@ Darth Satanious: I agree with you. In the case of Within Temptation, I don't think they appear on the radio because The Silent Force is a crappy album.

BTW here in Mexico I have never listened any Within Temptation song on the radio, and they aren't as known as Nightwish or Lacuna Coil, for example.
05.09.2006 - 21:43
chaunté
Account deleted
That way, India sucks. All I hear on the radio is English pop

Within Temptation was one of the first bands that I heard with the typical "Soft and Growly" kind of vocals, with a female singer in the band.

This is the band that introduced me to power metal. Now am a power lover

I quite liked Silent Force, my first symphonic metal album ever
10.10.2006 - 03:50
WindMyth
Account deleted
The vocal has a unique voice, Is not that my style, but she can sing really good.
The music, hmm is normal, kinda Gothic for me.
Good band.
11.10.2006 - 02:09
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
They were gothic but only in the first album imo, in the last two albums they became just symphonic metal, specially the last one: The Silent Force
----

Sensorium - Epica
10.11.2006 - 05:38
Lorien
Account deleted
Enter is their best work
I like the orchestra and choirs...
And Sharon sounds better on the live recordings than on the album
11.11.2006 - 13:36
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted
The Silent Force is a wonderful album IMO. I love it how fans awlays confuse "melody" with "trendyness." Same thing happaned with After Forever... their music used to all sound the same and then they started writing good melodies, and now they are "sell outs." A shame. It seems like whatever albums there are that I like by a band, everyone else hates... and the albums i hate everyone else loves. Eh whatever
11.11.2006 - 13:48
Lorien
Account deleted
Silent Force is ok and the melodies but the lyrics are the most shallow so far... There are some good lyrics but most of them are just too... bad..
However, I'm looking forward to their new album, because they bring something interesting with each album... I wonder what's going to be on the next one
11.11.2006 - 20:23
Silent Tears
Account deleted
Are they bring out a new album already. That's Great:D.
But they got to do better than The Silent Force.. it is a good album though, But some things are just missing. Mother Earth was much better than The Silent Force.
The lyrics are also not really fantastic. And lyrics is a important part of music;)
So I just hope their new album will be better^^

Does anyone have any idea when this album will be out. or how they gonna call it?;)
06.12.2006 - 12:13
Etaín
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WcwO0VS9FVo

New song for the game Spellborn. Sharon sounds way too average on it, she can do a lot better imo. Song seems average too, or might need some getting used to. I had that with The Silent Force too.

Im looking forward to the album anyway

Site about song/game: http://www.the-howling.com/
06.12.2006 - 20:17
priit
Written by Anathemani@c on 23.08.2006 at 15:05

Well, I've heard a radio (quite popular one) in Estonia play Nightwish, and after that there was some Estonian mind-bogglingly dull pop music. And that happened in a (super)market, so I couldn't just escape or sth.
10.12.2006 - 20:04
Ernis
狼獾
I saw the video of "Running Up That Hill" and I loved it.....this song is also one of the best of Kate Bush's songs......
18.02.2007 - 14:02
duyhung
Account deleted
Anyone listened to the new album (exactly half of the album, because I see that there are only 6 songs posted online) ? I feel very disappointed about the song 'What Have You Done', it's like a nu-metal song and I really don't like the way Keith Caputo repeats 'What Have You Done' (like he's singing in a nu-metal band). But the ballad 'All I Need' and the song 'Our Solemn Hour' are really good !!!
18.02.2007 - 14:28
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@duyhung: have heard anything yet. Are the songs on MySpace or their hompage?
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
18.02.2007 - 16:42
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by GT on 18.02.2007 at 14:28

@duyhung: have heard anything yet. Are the songs on MySpace or their hompage?

I downloaded it from a Vietnamese site. here is the link to download : http://ngherockonline.com/ctv/Avantasia/Within_Temptation.rar
18.02.2007 - 19:08
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@duyhung: Thanks. I'll take a look asap.
----

22.02.2007 - 18:09
Bitch Boy
I know I said some time ago that be featured on the radio isn't bad, but as @The Alchemist said, it depends on which station, and I heard the new Within Temptation single on a Mexican station that usually play Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, 50 Cents, Panic at the disco, Simple Plan and shit like that. I think that this is really bad...
22.02.2007 - 18:29
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Oh yes, this is really bad, imo, it means that WT became commercial
----

Sensorium - Epica
22.02.2007 - 18:31
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@Bitch Boy: yes indeed. Being played among that kind of music is bad, but again in Denmark they also play Metallica, Rammstein and Iron Maiden among the "bands" you mentioned
----

22.02.2007 - 22:59
I aM YoUr SiN
They are the second metal band i heart to... In think that they play really soft and melodic metal... when i feel sad i love ballads and soft songs... i play them then... But Sharon has strange voice... may be i think like this because i got to listen Tarja's voice
----
My Lord, let me come to you, let me become what my child thinks I am
In you is the beauty of the world, of which death made me an artist
My Lord, let me come to you, let me become what my child thinks I am...
23.02.2007 - 12:12
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by [user id=14272] on 18.02.2007 at 14:02

Anyone listened to the new album (exactly half of the album, because I see that there are only 6 songs posted online) ? I feel very disappointed about the song 'What Have You Done', it's like a nu-metal song and I really don't like the way Keith Caputo repeats 'What Have You Done' (like he's singing in a nu-metal band). But the ballad 'All I Need' and the song 'Our Solemn Hour' are really good !!!

I finally got the time to give the tracks a listen...they are really good especially 'All I Need' and 'Our Solemn Hour. I like the other four as well and don't think 'What Have You Done' is so nu-metal. I'm not so happy with 'Howling' though
----