Metal Storm logo
Do you like female vocalist in metal bands?

Original post

Posted by Paladin, 18.04.2010 - 01:12
I think it is not good.it is better that female vocalist sing in symphonic metal.not like arch enemy vocal in death.I think female vocalist cannot broadcast anger of metal.
08.10.2011 - 12:19
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
It depends on the vocalist. There's probably a few guys who shouldn't be doing death vocals either. I could name one that I really hate, but I don't wasnt to start a fight couse he's really popular and I think I'm the only one here who hates his voice.
Anyway, some chicks can express anger in their voices. Does anyone know any that can strech their voices from Turunen to Gossow, and do them both well?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
10.10.2011 - 19:48
Porlaneff
Why not?
Female vocalist is a good job in almost every band!
----
Metal is the law
The law is the metal
Metal the law is
Metal
(Metal is the Law - Massacration)
10.10.2011 - 22:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by M C Vice on 08.10.2011 at 12:19

It depends on the vocalist. There's probably a few guys who shouldn't be doing death vocals either. I could name one that I really hate, but I don't wasnt to start a fight couse he's really popular and I think I'm the only one here who hates his voice.
Anyway, some chicks can express anger in their voices. Does anyone know any that can strech their voices from Turunen to Gossow, and do them both well?

please do name the guy who's death vocals you really hate even though he is popular.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.10.2011 - 22:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.10.2011 at 22:24

please do name the guy who's death vocals you really hate even though he is popular.

I see what you're trying to do here Marcel
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.10.2011 - 22:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.10.2011 at 22:48

I see what you're trying to do here Marcel

I am hoping for Corpsegrinder because then I wholeheartedly would agree with him.
Or of course Chuck, but his death vocals were still good on the early Death albums.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.10.2011 - 23:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.10.2011 at 22:52

I am hoping for Corpsegrinder because then I wholeheartedly would agree with him.
Or of course Chuck, but his death vocals were still good on the early Death albums.

Got it half right then, My bet was on Chuck.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.10.2011 - 23:46
Yohan
Well I don't mind female vocalists, but I prefer having a male singer. Personally I enjoy Music that have a male singer as main vocal, and a female singer as backup as it brings a nice touch.
----
tombstone.fi
11.10.2011 - 00:09
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I do like it. A decade ago I was a complete sucker fot the gothic/symphonic gothic metal that features a lot of female vocalists and I still do enjoy it. I'm not very aware of females in the extreme metal scene, because almost every band from that part of metal I listen to is male-fronted. The only gal that has me kicking is Cadaveria, I love her wicked vocal abilites.

All in all, throught the years I got to discover that I have become more and more critical to female vocals in general. And suma summarum, when I draw the line, the gal I admire, love and respect the most is Anneke Van Giersbergen. The later The Gathering were not metal though, neither is her current work, but whenever she does guest vocals on any metal band/album/song, she sounds absolutely divine and contributes a whole lot to it.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
11.10.2011 - 10:02
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl

I'm not entirely sure he counts as death vocals, though the few songs I've heard with him are definatly harsh vocals. I won't name names but because I couldn't stand his voice (and remember, I listen to Gallhammer) I havn't got to hear much of the great Dimebag Darrell.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
25.01.2012 - 03:14
lordchadi
Written by Yohan on 10.10.2011 at 23:46

Well I don't mind female vocalists, but I prefer having a male singer. Personally I enjoy Music that have a male singer as main vocal, and a female singer as backup as it brings a nice touch.

u take the words of my mouth
i agree with u 100%
& i think with backing vocals they are good in Operatic style as nightwish & epica & others
09.10.2014 - 19:41
I don't think women CAN'T do death metal. I think few can do it well. I see quite a few people using Angela (ex-Arch Enemy) as an example of not doing it well and I think that they are fucking crazy. She is one of the female growlers that I can actually get into. She has the power and MUCH more importantly, the articulation to not sound like a psycho-babbling moron like half of the growling males do. That's one reason I like Lamb of God. Randy articulates much better than most, in my opinion.
----
Like female-fronted power metal? Check out Heliosaga.
heliosaga.com
https://www.facebook.com/Heliosaga
Metal Storm review: http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=12934
09.10.2014 - 22:46
Ganondox
Written by M C Vice on 11.10.2011 at 10:02

I'm not entirely sure he counts as death vocals, though the few songs I've heard with him are definatly harsh vocals. I won't name names but because I couldn't stand his voice (and remember, I listen to Gallhammer) I havn't got to hear much of the great Dimebag Darrell.

If you a speaking about who I think you are speaking about, I totally agree with you, though the main thing keeping me away from Darrel is his guitar tone.
11.11.2014 - 23:00
_deepblack
It depends on the vocalist i like arch enemy old vocals but u know thats diffrent i dont like other vocals like Otep or i dunno Female Vocalist can be singing Power and symphonic and gothic and etc as long as they have the clean voice i dont talk about anger or anything but most of the times female harsh vocals just doesnt fits in the music
12.11.2014 - 00:34
Wingtorte
I think the title to this thread is a bit of a blanket statement. There are some female vocalists that are great and some that are really poor. There are certainly great female death, black and thrash vocalists out there.

Rachel Heyzer ex-Sinister
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Ay6m39jpc

Onielar from Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fa-KJOIKd8

and a vocalist who's vocal talent is pretty broad and spans between gutteral and clean who does it very, very well is Masha Scream from Arkona. I really like both her gutteral vocals and her clean vocals. She has a really unique voice I think. Also having seen her live I can say her stage presence is just absolutely immense!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR4LVp9wjN4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRo-LPKAko8
25.11.2014 - 16:40
anmarsaval
FAETHOM - Female-fronted Blackened Heavy Metal from Fort Lauderdale, FL. New video for "Thou Shall Follow" directed by Dan Jackson. Check it out! \m/

25.11.2014 - 22:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by anmarsaval on 25.11.2014 at 16:40

FAETHOM - Female-fronted Blackened Heavy Metal from Fort Lauderdale, FL. New video for "Thou Shall Follow" directed by Dan Jackson. Check it out! \m/

if its new video, add it as MS news and if you're band member, help us build page and make it visible, give us info about old aka name (cant remember) and now, member years and so on ... 100% good edit

http://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=7411&bandname=Faethom
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.11.2014 - 06:50
Ganondox
Just realized I haven't replied to the question in this particular thread. I for one love female vocalists in metal (well, like any vocalist, as long as they don't suck), but I do prefer symphonic metal to death metal. Regardless, some women are better death metal vocalists than most men, like Som Pluijmers from Cerebral Bore, and the comment about women being less able to express anger is complete BS. Women have the same range of emotions as men, and just because they tend to have higher voices and thus less able to do death growls doesn't mean they can't express anger other ways, such as other screaming styles. Death growls have never even sounded angry, TBH, just menacing at best and stupid at worst.
05.12.2014 - 01:17
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Most of the music I listen to has male vocals, but there's nothing wrong with having female singers in metal bands (Beyond the Bridge and Anathema are a few examples I know of). Just because a majority of singers in metal happen to be men, doesn't mean that women should be discriminated from joining in the fun. Everyone should be free to pursue their passions.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
07.12.2014 - 23:33
Don't give a shit. Can't hear a difference between female screams and male screams.
----
Abortion isn't murder. It's a perfectly good way to make smoothies.
08.12.2014 - 01:00
Zombie94
I oddly have yet to hear a female-fronted metal band that I like. Strange considering most of my favourite pop songs are sung by women.
08.01.2015 - 17:57
Nomad@
If she sings like Tristessa or Angela Gossow..... Yeah, i like female vokals on metal bands
10.01.2015 - 16:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by adrenalectomized on 07.12.2014 at 23:33

Don't give a shit. Can't hear a difference between female screams and male screams.

truth , you can not
----

apos;'
[image]
10.01.2015 - 19:46
Amy
I liked Som when she was with Cerebral Bore and I like the singer from the prog metal band Beyond Creation but that's pretty much it. I'm not really into gothic or symphonic metal and I don't really like Arch Enemy or the Agonist, so I guess I'm not a huge fan of female fronted bands. I just find that female fronted bands use their front woman as a crutch to get more fans and if they had a male singer they would not get nearly as much attention and possibly labeled generic. Its not that I don't like other women in metal (obviously, since I am female and clearly like metal) I just don't like how in bands with female vocalists the focus often shifts from the music to the woman.
----
\m/
10.01.2015 - 21:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 10.01.2015 at 16:31
truth , you can not

I would argue that in most cases you can tell the difference based on depth, but there are exceptions with some women being able to hit some guttural lows that make them indistinguishable from their male counterparts.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.01.2015 - 21:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.01.2015 at 21:47

truth , you can not

I would argue that in most cases you can tell the difference based on depth, but there are exceptions with some women being able to hit some guttural lows that make them indistinguishable from their male counterparts.

well if you know the band, but sometimes blindly I find some unknown band, I cant tell growler, screamer are men or women
----

apos;'
[image]
10.01.2015 - 22:05
Ganondox

truth , you can not

There are some men who don't go as deep either, so it's not an absolute way of telling. Then there are high pitched screams, where obviously most women have no problem going high.
10.01.2015 - 22:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ganondox on 10.01.2015 at 22:05
There are some men who don't go as deep either, so it's not an absolute way of telling. Then there are high pitched screams, where obviously most women have no problem going high.

I meant more so in terms of natural depth. Like listening to men and women speak, men generally have deeper voices and that carries over into singing (both clean and extreme). Or at least I find it easy to discern. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.01.2015 - 22:23
Ganondox
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.01.2015 at 22:07

Written by Ganondox on 10.01.2015 at 22:05

I meant more so in terms of natural depth. Like listening to men and women speak, men generally have deeper voices and that carries over into singing (both clean and extreme). Or at least I find it easy to discern. :/

Of course, but some women can still go lower than most men, and some men higher than most women.
10.01.2015 - 22:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ganondox on 10.01.2015 at 22:23
Of course, but some women can still go lower than most men, and some men higher than most women.

Hence, "generally".
----
10.01.2015 - 23:17
Totenlieder
Written by Bad English on 10.01.2015 at 21:55

truth , you can not

well if you know the band, but sometimes blindly I find some unknown band, I cant tell growler, screamer are men or women

The first time I heard Mythic I thought it was a guy on vocals.
But it turns out they are an all female band.
Sometimes its really hard to tell.
Others not so much.
----
Blut & Krieg