Metal Storm logo
Nasty Savage - Drummer Undergoes Surgery For Brain Tumor

Audrey Y Beeson-Michael, the older sister of Curtis Beeson, former drummer of the '80s/'90s metal bands Nasty Savage, Massacre, Fester and Denial Fiend, has sent the following letter to Blabbermouth.net:

"On Monday, June 28, 2010, we found out that Curtis had a massive brain tumor. Curtis had been complaining of headaches and losing the vision in his right eye for about five months. Being a "man", he did not go immediately to the hospital. My mother and my other brother Sanford (former singer of Low Brow) kind of "dragged" him to Tampa General Hospital on that Monday. After explaining to the ER staff his symptoms, they immediately send him for a CT Scan and MRI. They found a massive tumor, over and behind his right eye. They scheduled him for surgery for Friday, July 2 at 8 a.m. After 16 hours of surgery, his doctor finally came out and said that they had removed all of the tumor. The tumor was the size of a softball.

His doctor did not know the extent of the damage the tumor had caused, but earlier in the week, the ophthalmologist, after looking at his CT, said that he was probably blind in his right eye. His doctor said that after the surgery we would have to wait and see about his vision. He said the tumor had been pushing so far on his eye that the optic nerve might have been completely damaged.

The staff said he is making tremendous progress, even after a few hours. He was up talking and walking, which was a good sign. He told my mother that the first thing he checked were his legs to see if they still worked. I believe he was more worried about that than his vision. He can play the drums blind, but has to have his legs. Later on during the day, he said that the vision in his right eye seemed to be coming back, which was a very good sign.

He's on the road to recovery. We don't know how long it will be, but like the staff said, he's making great progress and has a great attitude towards all of it. I know that once he is well enough, he will want to get back to playing his drums.

Our family wants to thank everyone for all of their thoughts, prayers and support through this rough time. We would especially like to thank Dr. Eric Sauvageau, neurosurgeon of Tampa General Hospital and all of the staff for their wonderful job."

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Nasty Savage
Posted: 06.07.2010 by Carl Berg

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 3   Visited by: 35 users
06.07.2010 - 12:24
DayFly

Lucky bastard, if it didn't metastasize...
06.07.2010 - 13:26
flamesoficarus

Woah.
dont know of him / his band, but that doesnt matter.
one lucky bastard, and good to hear of some positive news in regard to musicians health
06.07.2010 - 23:59
Symmachus

I'm not that familiar with this man either, but it is unfortunate about his tumor. However, I find it very fortunate that he seems to be improving with remarkable progress. Best of wishes to him and his family.

Hits total: 2734 | This month: 5