03. Mother Of Mercy
04. Coming Home
05. The Alchemist
06. Isle Of Avalon
07. Starblind
08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Iron Maiden have had ups and downs, but they consistently stuck to their unique style. 2006's A Matter of Life and Death saw a serious departure from that style towards a darker, more progressive sound - it was only a partial success. Unfortunately, Steve Harris and Co. felt encouraged, and decided to go further in their departures. The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows. Departure from style my ass. If they wanted to depart again, the previous album was the way to do it.

'Sounds like shit' - this was my first thought when I heard the longish introduction to the album. "Satellite 15..." is so unlike anything that Iron Maiden have ever recorded. A crude, repeating drum pattern, distorted, spacy sounds, drunken guitars that go nowhere. Even the vocals, when they enter, sound strange. Not only does that intro suck, but it also sounds really weird. Fortunately, the song changes radically after 4 minutes into a remote semblance of a good song.

'What the hell have they done to Iron Maiden?' - that was my second thought. The opening tracks are decent enough for thousands of obscure bands who would be proud to have recorded them, but for Iron Maiden standards, they are sodding poor, and I mean really poor. "The Apparition" poor. "The Final Frontier" isn't utterly abysmal - resurrecting the spirit of the 70's metal, with a catchy chorus, it is remotely palatable. But to balance it, "Coming Home" is an Iron Maiden fan nightmare, sounding like it was recorded during the Fear of the Dark session, which, in my opinion, is the worst Iron Maiden album, with only 2 good songs.

The next six tracks brought back some of my faith in Iron Maiden. Long songs, catchy choruses, melodic solos, everything is seemingly in place. Seemingly - Maiden fans can at last feel at home, and utter a sigh of relief, because there will be no more experiments until the end of the album, at least not as blatantly obvious ones as the intro. But what follows isn't top-notch Maiden, it's mid-range most of the time. Solos aren't too memorable, vocal lines aren't too melodic, riffs don't stick in my head.

Only the last song, "When the Wild Wind Blows," can be honestly called excellent. The riffs supported by simple, but powerful drumming somewhere in the 7th minute of the song - in that solitary moment Maiden sounds really classy. The song isn't quite as good as Maiden's best classic tracks, but it's on a par with the good songs from the later period. Maybe the leading vocal theme sounds too joyful and optimistic, in spite of telling a grim tale, but the song is deliciously complex and rich, a real treat to end this album.

Having died during the first 4 abysmal songs, I was partially resurrected by some good ones that followed, of which, sadly, only one is brilliant. The Final Frontier clocks in at over 76 minutes, and most of these minutes are well spent, assuming you have a pair of paddles handy to shock you back to life after the cardiac arrest that you will undergo at the onset of this album. Better yet, start listening from "The Alchemist." You should be at least partially satisfied.
How do I rank this? I could try to turn a blind eye on the beginning of The Final Frontier. But 4 terrible songs out of 10 is quite a lot. Sorry guys, not this time around. I can't ignore 40% of the album. 1 point up for the last track.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 6

Written on 16.08.2010 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
It seems like it's become trendy to dislike any music that becomes even somewhat mainstream. I am by no means bitter; I'm guilty of this prejudice quite often. So, when I saw the album votes go the way they did for The Final Frontier I wasn't shocked. But, in all honesty, I thought this album was pretty hard! This is one of Maiden's most successful albums to date and for a damn good reason. While it does sound different from anything they've done before, that doesn't make it worse. Do you really want three albums that sound exactly like Brave New World?

Read more ››
published 18.01.2011 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album that skirts the title of worst album in Iron Maiden discography by fortune of existing in a world where Dance of Death exists, The Final Frontier is a well-intentioned album that seems stuck on autopilot for the most of its running time, bravely going where the band had not gone before... mediocrity. If you want a quick and concise description of this album, think "The Angel And The Gambler" in seven new guises!

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Comments page 7 / 9

Comments: 253   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 1045 users
19.08.2010 - 19:06
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
WHO CARES ABOUT POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE REVIEWS? It doesn't change your own opinion unless you can't think for yourself. Just because 10 reviewers think the album rules, it doesn't have to be good to everybody, and probably wont convince the haters to make a 180 degree turn either.
19.08.2010 - 19:31
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
LordMaiden versus Hidden_Dictator

good versus evil...

evil versus good...

To be or not to be that is the question...
19.08.2010 - 20:57
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
OK LordMaiden...tell me exactly how Iron Maiden are progressing and innovating with this album. What haven't they already done on A Matter of Life and Death, Dance of Death, etc.? I now hold all modern albums by classic bands like IM, Slayer, Metallica, etc. to the standards of King Crimson's Power to Believe album; THAT IS HOW AN OLD BAND SHOULD INNOVATE AND REMAIN A VITAL ROLE TO THEIR GENRE. And TFF is no PTB. Anyone who wants a comprehensive review of the album should check out allmusic's review.

Maybe it's because I have very very high expectations; I dig Alcest, Persefone, Riverside and the new Ihsahn because they innovate and surprise me with interesting turns in their music and compositions.

But anyway, type up exactly what they do with the instruments or the composition or the lyrics to make them unique! This should be interesting to read.
19.08.2010 - 21:21
Demon Heart
It is not that much bad, I liked it.
----
It's a black cloud over head
That's me
And the poison ivy chokes the tree
Again it's me
19.08.2010 - 21:28
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
LordMaiden is on an extended leave of absence instigated by the staff. Let him return wiser and more relaxed in 30 days.
19.08.2010 - 21:55
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
20.08.2010 - 01:34
x-avier
20.08.2010 - 01:54
Butters49
Quote:
The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows

I think Maiden is starting to make songs that all sound the same,
so if anything... making songs that dont sound like their usual stuff is probably a good thing
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond
20.08.2010 - 02:14
Rating: 2
RavenKing
About the positive reviews. Not that I want to undermine the credibility of those positive reviews, I'm sure a few ones are genuine but we must not forget that, when it comes to bands as famous as Maiden, the official, paid reviewers can't say whatever they want. They have to tone down to a certain extent. Even if a reviewer from a famous magazine doesn't like an album at all, he will most likely do his best to hide it, because a negative review could have a negative impact on his career.
And if he really likes the album, he will probably exaggerate his positive comments.
That's the way the industry works and there's nothing we can do about it.
Personnally, I trust much more reviews from people on this board, for example, than reviewers from famous magazines.

I totally agree with Spyroid's comment. Positive reviews don't mean an album is great. And negative reviews don't mean the album sucks.

I also must say I have rarely seen people so divided about an album. And no, those who like the album are not idiots at all for liking it. If the album can make them happy, fine.
I posted a few harsh comments but I think I owe an explanation to people. Do not ever believe that when I talked of the "Maiden fanboys", it included all Maiden fans or all those who like TFF. It was specifically targeted at a few ones and only included those few ones (3-4 guys, maybe) who came on this board specifically to "tell people here how idiotic they are". And you're not one of them, Everonn, in case you wonder. My apologies for having thought you could have been one of them. I realize now that they were other guys, not you.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
20.08.2010 - 03:54
yaddayadda
Too bad none of those reviews came from famous magazines.
20.08.2010 - 05:35
Rating: 5
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by yaddayadda on 20.08.2010 at 03:54

Ya because they're totally unbiased.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.08.2010 - 07:16
un4givendemon
Well I just got the album today. After listening to my free copy of El Dorado from their site, which I received several weeks ago, I became relatively excited for the full experience that only a sparkly new Maiden LP can bring. El Dorado is good, that I will say, but it took 3+ listens for me to think so. Having given the LP a few spins, El Dorado is still the only one I can deem good. Given it took a few listens to El Dorado, I will certainly hold judgment until I listen in some more. I have loved all of Maiden's stuff since Bruce's return, til now. I am highly discouraged after two listens. I am also mildly concerned this may be the last Maiden release.
20.08.2010 - 11:39
Rating: 10
Papa_Ray
Written by yaddayadda on 20.08.2010 at 03:54

Ha
20.08.2010 - 12:36
INÆRIS
It seems like Maiden has tried to make every new song a new "Rime of the Ancient Mariner", but always fall short. I miss the days of songs like Prowler, Twilight Zone, Invaders, and Flight of Icarus.
----
Still Life, Still Death
20.08.2010 - 16:08
JohnDoe
Account deleted
^ well, don't forget Maiden are not in their 20s or even 30s anymore like they were in the 80s, their period of glory...so expecting them to be as creative as they were back then is asking the impossible. Surely Maiden has established some high standards and now they can't live up to them anymore.
20.08.2010 - 16:45
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 20.08.2010 at 16:08

^ well, don't forget Maiden are not in their 20s or even 30s anymore like they were in the 80s, their period of glory...so expecting them to be as creative as they were back then is asking the impossible. Surely Maiden has established some high standards and now they can't live up to them anymore.

That's pretty much how I feel about Maiden. And I have a feeling the quality of their 80s material backfires at them, to a certain extent.

But the same can be said about countless bands. Every band reaches a peak at some point that they will never be able to top. That's why most of the time people prefer their older albums to the most recent ones. Many bands fall into complete oblivion at some point, though it has never been Maiden's case (but it was leading in this direction during the Blaze era).
Also, it's not too much of a problem with Maiden because their music is not fast, but in more extreme genres the musicians reach a point at which it's simply impossible to catch up physically. When they get older, they simply can't play as fast as in their young days.
----
20.08.2010 - 17:16
JohnDoe
Account deleted
^ everything is relative and everuone has different expectations; the new album for me at least is really enjoyable, a nice listen, but nothing extraordinary. I was more disappointed with albums like No Prayer (which seemed really uninspired after the excellent Seventh Son), Virtual XI (which surprisingly i enjoyed at first but it got old really really fast and Dance of death (with quite a few repetitive songs to the point of frustration - No More lies and Montsegur especially). Elitists will always stop in 1988 with Maiden...
20.08.2010 - 17:28
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 20.08.2010 at 17:16

Elitists will always stop in 1988 with Maiden...

In my case, it's not elitism but a matter of musical tastes.
I like the new Immortal, which is seen by lots of elitists as poser stuff.
I like more melodic Black Metal like old Catamenia and Lord Belial, which is often mocked by 'tr00 kvlt' people.
And I enjoy Krallice, a band despised by most 'tr00 kvlt' Black Metal fans.

I also still like some old melodic Speed Metal, like early Blind Guardian. The only thing about me that can be seen as elitism, imo, is my general dislike for modern day Powermetal (that I usually call flowermetal) but I can tell my reasons.
----
20.08.2010 - 17:36
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 20.08.2010 at 17:28

Written by Guest on 20.08.2010 at 17:16

Elitists will always stop in 1988 with Maiden...

In my case, it's not elitism but a matter of musical tastes.
I like the new Immortal, which is seen by lots of elitists as poser stuff.
I like more melodic Black Metal like old Catamenia and Lord Belial, which is often mocked by 'tr00 kvlt' people.
And I enjoy Krallice, a band despised by most 'tr00 kvlt' Black Metal fans.

I also still like some old melodic Speed Metal, like early Blind Guardian. The only thing about me that can be seen as elitism, imo, is my general dislike for modern day Powermetal (that I usually call flowermetal) but I can tell my reasons.

i wasn't calling you an elitist, just saying in general.
20.08.2010 - 17:46
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 20.08.2010 at 17:36

i wasn't calling you an elitist, just saying in general.

I know. I felt no accusation of any kind.
----
20.08.2010 - 17:51
yaddayadda
Look who is acting civil now. How many PM's did you get from the mods?
20.08.2010 - 18:21
RavenKing
@yaddayadda: Not a single one.

The reason I've been harsh a few times recently was only to show that everyone can be harsh and there's no merit in posting insults. I received no pm from mods. Only a few insulting pms from a few members, YOU being one of them. You have no lesson of civility to teach to anyone. I can get over it and simply ignore you but keep your false accusations for yourself.
----
20.08.2010 - 18:30
yaddayadda
Really, you're going to justify your vile just to say "Here...this is what vile is so don't do it."

You're a fake joke.

Chess and mate.
20.08.2010 - 19:08
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by yaddayadda on 20.08.2010 at 18:30

Really, you're going to justify your vile just to say "Here...this is what vile is so don't do it."

You're a fake joke.

Chess and mate.

enough with the insults; unless you talk about music, bashers or praisers, don't bother writing...
20.08.2010 - 19:42
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 20.08.2010 at 19:08

enough with the insults; unless you talk about music, bashers or praisers, don't bother writing...

He seems unable to do anything more constructive, sadly. And I must say people like him who not only insult you on board but also take the time to send pms to members to insult them sink really low.
----
21.08.2010 - 14:34
slaytanic12
I personally liked El Dorado...in a way it kind of reminded me of powerslave
22.08.2010 - 00:06
Rating: 4
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Oh ho! Seems like Kindergarten is in session again! -_-
22.08.2010 - 05:11
Rating: 8
Shangri-la

You're a fake joke.

Chess and mate.

I think you mean "check and mate"
22.08.2010 - 06:02
Rating: 10
Papa_Ray
Written by Shangri-la on 22.08.2010 at 05:11

You're a fake joke.

Chess and mate.

I think you mean "check and mate"

You are a little late to the conversation, pal
22.08.2010 - 13:05
Rating: 5
Hardin
Boring album actually, with few nice tracks like Alchemist and Starblind, but the rest is just average. Long, slow la la la songs with melodic riffs and lame solos... Just like DoD and AMOLAD. I'm really sick of this "epic" stuff. Short, HEAVY album would be more than welcome!

Hits total: 47812 | This month: 63