08. The Lord Of Wolves
09. Sons Of Immortal Fire
10. Stardust
11. Dance Of Flames
12. To The Island Of Immortal Fire
13. Beyond The Space, Beyond The Time
14. What If...
15. Forever Young [Alphaville cover] [Japanese bonus]

Power metal children, come here, the food's ready! So what's for today? Beyond The Space Beyond The Time is. This is a long, elaborate and refined power metal release by a Polish act Pathfinder who have been around since 2006. This one is their first full length release. And for a first release, one has to admit, this is a long and complex album. For that, the band has done an impressive job. The musicians have not just tried to surprise the audiences with a mere debut album but a masterpiece at once.

This release is a classic power metal release heavily loaded with symphonic instrumental elements, fast guitar solos, choirs, clean and clear male vocals, power metal screams and last but not least, female operatic vocals. The standards are set even higher since the special guests Roberto Tiranti from Labyrinth, Michal Jelonek fom Hunter, Matias Kupiainen from Stratovarius and Bob Katsionis from Firewind all add their touch to this enormous symphonic musical painting. The compositions are grand and show professional level on a large scale. Elements from Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" add a lot to the classical romantic style of the release. The vocalists do a fine job, there is the main male singer who doesn't use that much cliché squealing as some power metal singers tend to do but performs with his natural clear and strong voice and the atmosphere would not be the same without the band's special "Moonlight" choir led by the operatic vocalist Agata.

Therefore, the positive sides of the album lie in its composition and beautiful musical moments that are present all around. The negative side might be that the band might balance on the borders of the "cliché flower metal" category. Then again, the dreamy fantasy lovers will surely adore the style. Another minus might be that the album is not an easy nut to crack and requires many listens to get familiar with, to find all the bright pearls amidst the songs for the album flows constantly onwards and some among the audience might get lost among the complexity.

The best examples from this album would be the introduction with "The Whisper Of Ancient Rocks", the two following tracks based on Beethoven's music and "All The Mornings Of The World". Noteworthy is also the pleasant tune of "Dance Of Flames" and nobody could ever miss the title track which solemnly concludes the entire album. This is a large and tasty dish from the power metal kitchen which will satisfy the appetite of any listener who appreciates some symphonic power on their table.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by Ernis | 30.08.2010

Comments

Comments: 13   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 219 users
31.08.2010 - 11:57
Inlé
The demo is brilliant and I knew a full-length was in the works but this has taken me by surprise!

I totally look forward to "acquiring" and listening to this today. Hope it's as good as the demo, and this review suggests
31.08.2010 - 19:37
Edmund Fogg
Nice review.It sounds really promissing.Hope it doesn't dive to deep in the flower clichés.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
31.08.2010 - 23:14
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Sounds interesting, but I'm having a hard time getting over their really shitty band name. You'd think I'd be used to PM being covered in lame sauce by now. -_-
01.09.2010 - 00:22
DrM
DreaMutilated
Don't know if I should expect much from a power band, let alone one named after a weak Nissan...

Not a fan of Power in general (unless it blends Prog), however the complexity bit in your review did catch my eye.

Then I went to their Myspace page only to find the complexity equivalent of a Nintendo game (Dragonforce anyone?) ruining one of the very few "pop" songs I actually like (and I don't even know who the original performer is!).

Sorry, but that's a thumbs down from me.
08.10.2010 - 00:35
fade
Son of Sweden
staff
Get over the band name... there are worse bandnames out there... *cough*Edguy*cough*
----
The troubles of avoiding horseshit.
My Music database: http://www.racksandtags.com/northernsky/
08.10.2010 - 22:26
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by DrM on 01.09.2010 at 00:22

Don't know if I should expect much from a power band, let alone one named after a weak Nissan...

Pathfinder is for me a DnD RPG universe (and that sounds much more fitting for power metal, right?)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
01.11.2010 - 20:03
Rating: 8
FeskarN
This album is one of the best debut power metal I have heard in a long time. Really impressed by the songwriting and the performance. The vocals are so amazing, love his high screams. I recommend this album to anyone that likes power metal or symphonic metal. Looking forward for more material from this band!
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
03.11.2010 - 07:42
Rating: 5
Scream8tor
I'm a fan of Symphonic Power metal. I love old Rhapsody and Dragonforce. But Pathfinder has a long way to go before they reach the level of Fairyland's "Score to a New Beginning". Lots of notes do not always equal good music. The music feels very contrived and disjointed at times which leave me with an emotional void. And it doesn't help that the lead vocals fall flat for me. Some of the musical interludes lift me up and I start to think I'm being too harsh on these guys, but then the vocals come in and send me spiraling back down. After a few of these songs, I'm ready to toss it aside and put on some Dragonland "Astronomy".
26.05.2011 - 08:59
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Scream8tor on 03.11.2010 at 07:42

I'm a fan of Symphonic Power metal. I love old Rhapsody and Dragonforce. But Pathfinder has a long way to go before they reach the level of Fairyland's "Score to a New Beginning". Lots of notes do not always equal good music. The music feels very contrived and disjointed at times which leave me with an emotional void. And it doesn't help that the lead vocals fall flat for me. Some of the musical interludes lift me up and I start to think I'm being too harsh on these guys, but then the vocals come in and send me spiraling back down. After a few of these songs, I'm ready to toss it aside and put on some Dragonland "Astronomy".

Agreed. Whereas Pathfinder is catchy and complex and all, Score is a masterpiece of song craftsmanship. It just feels like Pathfinder's musical ideas are overall less creative than Fairyland's.

But I can only listen to older bands so much until they release new albums. Pathfinder is a welcome addition to the Symphonic elite.
26.05.2011 - 08:59
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Scream8tor on 03.11.2010 at 07:42

Agreed. Whereas Pathfinder is catchy and complex and all, Score is a masterpiece of song craftsmanship. It just feels like Pathfinder's musical ideas are overall less creative than Fairyland's.

But I can only listen to older bands so much until they release new albums. Pathfinder is a welcome addition to the Symphonic elite.
20.07.2011 - 19:36
Rating: 4
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
"There is the main male singer who doesn't use that much cliché squealing as some power metal singers tend to do"
Yeah, and the first two lines of the title track disprove this. Not to mention that I think he's trying to conjure Daniel Heiman throughout the verses. And fails.
----
7.0 means the album is good
31.12.2011 - 09:36
Crème fraiche
Holy crap, how did i miss this power metal gem???? This band just saved power metal for me!
12.04.2012 - 10:10
Rating: 9
Wes
I love this album. Definitely one of my all time favorite power metal albums.

Hits total: 12535 | This month: 13