Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Reveal Concept For Upcoming Album

Official press release

In the midst of recording a new album, Nightwish has been preparing a movie.

"Imaginarium" is a music fantasy - film based on the forthcoming Nightwish album of the same title and its 13 songs.

The protagonist of the film is a songwriter with an otherworldly imagination. He is an old man who still thinks he's a young boy. While asleep he travels into his distant past where his dreams of old come back to him mixed to the young boy's world of fantasy and music.

In his dreams the old man fights to find the memories most important to him.

This never-done-before project originates to more than two years in the past when Tuomas first introduced his ambitious idea of the "Imaginarium" - concept to the fellow band members and to Mr. Stobe Harju, the director behind "The Islander" - music video. He will be the director of this full-length feature. The film will be produced by Solar Films Inc. together with Nightwish.

The shootings for "Imaginarium" will begin this spring, it will have its premiere in 2012 and the album it's based on will be released in an undefined point in time.

Nightwish will hold a press conference related to this project at the end of February.

[Also thanks to Elodie Artour for the news!]

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 10.02.2011 by Dominus

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 68   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 504 users
11.02.2011 - 06:51
Sunioj
So the concept of this is based on Michael Jackson?
11.02.2011 - 06:52
Slyfang
Oh come on. i'm pretty damn sure he came up with this "idea" after watching The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
11.02.2011 - 10:22
Bitch Boy
Written by Sunioj on 11.02.2011 at 06:51

So the concept of this is based on Michael Jackson?

hahahaha wasn't expecting this But the overall idea of the film sounds cool to me.
11.02.2011 - 12:37
schwanderen
Written by Anno Dine on 10.02.2011 at 23:55

Written by annodomini on 10.02.2011 at 23:32

Why should Tuomas go back to the old stuff? He is evolving as a composer. Maybe he had grown his metal t-shirt up. Maybe he is now more in symphonic.cinematic stuff. I believe in Tuomas and his creativity, cause every single album is different and amazing at the same time. And here we will get a new chapter in music. This could be something as Pink Floyds - The Wall.

No, he shouldn't go back to the old stuff, but at least I would approve if he "evolved" out of whatever phase he's been in recently. Yes, I do realize many wouldn't. (I don't care that much anyway, TBH.) You said it - The Wall. A lot will depend on how they carry this idea out. As it stands it's nothing special and fans should hope that the film isn't there to distract from the music.

Haha! Nicely catched with The Wall: "This never-done-before project", jesus christ thats embarrasing. And im totally with you on the ego-trip thats been Nightwish in their latest albums. Would include Century Child though.
11.02.2011 - 16:04
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Susan on 11.02.2011 at 01:30

Another Nightwish story about a poet and his inner struggles.... thanks.

He even considered entitling DPP "The Poet And The Pendulum"... Follow-uo to "Imaginarium" (to be released around 2048): "Tuomas, the Dark Poet - Part 7: The Boy who dressed like Jack Sparrow".
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
11.02.2011 - 16:47
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by MétalNoir on 11.02.2011 at 16:04

Another Nightwish story about a poet and his inner struggles.... thanks.

He even considered entitling DPP "The Poet And The Pendulum"... Follow-uo to "Imaginarium" (to be released around 2048): "Tuomas, the Dark Poet - Part 7: The Boy who dressed like Jack Sparrow".

----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
11.02.2011 - 16:50
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Great. Tuomas once did songs about himself. Now he's gonna do an entire album/film about himself. Way to go, boy.
----
7.0 means the album is good
11.02.2011 - 17:51
IronAngel
Haha, this can go wrong in so many ways. The story sounds horrible, Solar Films is known for garbage (Dark Floors, anyone?) and it looks like they're heading farther into territory I'd rather they steered clear of. Here's hoping, though.
11.02.2011 - 18:13
Written by schwanderen on 11.02.2011 at 12:37

Written by Anno Dine on 10.02.2011 at 23:55

Written by annodomini on 10.02.2011 at 23:32

Why should Tuomas go back to the old stuff? He is evolving as a composer. Maybe he had grown his metal t-shirt up. Maybe he is now more in symphonic.cinematic stuff. I believe in Tuomas and his creativity, cause every single album is different and amazing at the same time. And here we will get a new chapter in music. This could be something as Pink Floyds - The Wall.

No, he shouldn't go back to the old stuff, but at least I would approve if he "evolved" out of whatever phase he's been in recently. Yes, I do realize many wouldn't. (I don't care that much anyway, TBH.) You said it - The Wall. A lot will depend on how they carry this idea out. As it stands it's nothing special and fans should hope that the film isn't there to distract from the music.

Haha! Nicely catched with The Wall: "This never-done-before project", jesus christ thats embarrasing. And im totally with you on the ego-trip thats been Nightwish in their latest albums. Would include Century Child though.

The way I perceived it was that this project has never been done before by Nightwish. I'm sure they're not trying to say that they're the first band ever in history to come up with a movie idea. But rather, this is a first for Nightwish themselves, and it's very exciting for them because this is a chance to be more creative than usual. But anyway, I totally called it. I remember about a year ago, Tuomas posted something about a different approach to the next album and right away I was like "rock opera." lol
11.02.2011 - 22:01
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by [user id=39762] on 11.02.2011 at 03:38

Hey wow... now that's an incredibly original concept, especially coming from Nightwish. And yes,

Tuomas is THE most narcissistic person in metal

I totally agree...

So you both know Tuomas and every other man/woman in metal personally then?
11.02.2011 - 22:04
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 11.02.2011 at 16:50

Great. Tuomas once did songs about himself. Now he's gonna do an entire album/film about himself. Way to go, boy.

I don't see how this is a problem, really. Dead Boy's Poem, The Beauty Of The Beast and The Poet And The Pendulum are the best songs Nightwish has ever done. Why does it matter that they are about Tuomas if the music is excellent?
12.02.2011 - 00:02
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I think a lot of us here who have been listening to this kind of metal for awhile just get bored of the stories and concepts that some artists put out. I just want to here good music. Lyrics to me are not important and i am getting tired of music drowned by an orchestra and choirs. It's fine as far as adding depth, but some bands overuse it.
12.02.2011 - 04:22
BlankFile
What?? Well it sounds ambitious...
12.02.2011 - 18:57
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by [user id=105293] on 11.02.2011 at 22:04

I don't see how this is a problem, really. Dead Boy's Poem, The Beauty Of The Beast and The Poet And The Pendulum are the best songs Nightwish has ever done. Why does it matter that they are about Tuomas if the music is excellent?

Well, I don't know, one thing I dread most is people writing 'epic' stories about themselves, or characters based on their own personality, 'cos that's the easiest thing you can do as a writer. Tuomas could do better than that. Maybe he's just self-centered, I don't wanna sound like a bitch, or judge him for that, but I'd like to see him come up with something more mature.
----
7.0 means the album is good
13.02.2011 - 00:37
RavenKing
Written by [user id=105293] on 10.02.2011 at 22:48

Written by MétalNoir on 10.02.2011 at 22:22

Written by [user id=105293] on 10.02.2011 at 21:31

Fingers crossed, hoping that the greatest symphonic metal band in the world doesn't fall from grace.

Known they've already lost most of their "grace" since DPP, they're not allowed to release anything under very good, otherwise they'll effectively loose any kind of credibility...

Right, they lost their grace by firing a faux-opera singer that they couldn't work with anymore. Never mind the fact that the creative core remained intact.

Fanboys...

Shut the fuck up. You're the fanboy when it comes to Nightwish. I had the pleasure to witness how the "Fuck, I wish they'd disband before it gets even worse" thread went completely off-topic only because you couldn't live with a few negative comments targeted at Nightwish.
I wish to mention that this attitude (not being able to deal with criticism) is typical of Powermetal fans but, from my own experience, Nightwish fanboys are the worst of the bunch. The most arrogant, oversensitive and stupid.

As for the concept, it makes me think of this:
"Mister Miles, lay down on the animus, so we can gain access to the right memory block"!
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
13.02.2011 - 08:41
Symmachus
Oh, so they're making a movie too, eh? I will not make any predetermined judgements on this, but I'd like to see it.
13.02.2011 - 10:11
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 13.02.2011 at 00:37

Shut the fuck up.

He came without his kiddie gloves!!!

Quote:

You're the fanboy when it comes to Nightwish.

A fanboy is someone who loves a band or bandmember beyond question, not someone who asks backing evidence for a statement such as "Anette is no better than Britney Spears, Nightwish's next album will be pop!"

Just because you turn a blind eye to stupidity, doesn't mean others should too.

Quote:

I had the pleasure to witness how the "Fuck, I wish they'd disband before it gets even worse" thread went completely off-topic only because you couldn't live with a few negative comments targeted at Nightwish.

I have no problem with criticism of bands I like, but when that criticism takes on a rock-stupid form, I have as much right to call people on it as they have to say such stupid things in the first place. I do not suffer stupidity and I don't apologize for it.
13.02.2011 - 10:42
Slayer666
Written by [user id=105293] on 11.02.2011 at 22:04

Allright, unless you post a picture of you kissing some girl, I'll be 100% convinced you're gay and madly in love with Tuomas.
The ammount of hate and idiotic responds that anyone who mentiones Nightwish (or Tuomas) in a negative context gets from you is simply astounding. Jessus Christ, man, get some air.
13.02.2011 - 10:57
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 13.02.2011 at 10:42

Allright, unless you post a picture of you kissing some girl, I'll be 100% convinced you're gay and madly in love with Tuomas.

The gay joke is God's gift to the witless.

Quote:

The ammount of hate and idiotic responds that anyone who mentiones Nightwish (or Tuomas) in a negative context gets from you is simply astounding. Jessus Christ, man, get some air.

This thread was created to discuss Nightwish, so either address my points about Nightwish or if you cannot, then just stay silent. I am not here to talk about me.
13.02.2011 - 11:04
Slayer666
Written by [user id=105293] on 13.02.2011 at 10:57

Written by Slayer666 on 13.02.2011 at 10:42

The gay joke is God's gift to the witless.

Quote:

This thread was created to discuss Nightwish, so either address my points about Nightwish or if you cannot, then just stay silent. I am not here to talk about me.

Right, because "This is offtopic" deffence is clearly only for those extremely gifted.
Man, you fanboys make Internet fun!
13.02.2011 - 11:17
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 13.02.2011 at 11:04

Right, because "This is offtopic" deffence is clearly only for those extremely gifted.
Man, you fanboys make Internet fun!

If you feel my points are invalid, then you should be able to demonstrate that in some way. Please do that, if you can. I like to be proven wrong, because that means I have the opportuniy learn something.

So then, got anything?
13.02.2011 - 12:26
Slayer666
Written by [user id=105293] on 10.02.2011 at 22:48

Written by MétalNoir on 10.02.2011 at 22:22

Written by [user id=105293] on 10.02.2011 at 21:31

Fingers crossed, hoping that the greatest symphonic metal band in the world doesn't fall from grace.

Known they've already lost most of their "grace" since DPP, they're not allowed to release anything under very good, otherwise they'll effectively loose any kind of credibility...

Right, they lost their grace by firing a faux-opera singer that they couldn't work with anymore. Never mind the fact that the creative core remained intact.

Fanboys...

Quoted this post, per your request to find your faulty arguments.
No, firing Tarja didn't make them "loose their grace". No one ever said that, yet, like a good fanboy, you automatically jumped to conclusions and called that guy a fanboy for something he didn't even say. Beyond stupid.
Next thing. In the eyes of many, they indeed did loose their grace, simply because DPP sounds like a purely Disney version of what Nightwish should sound. "For The Heart I Once Had", "7 Days to The Wolves", "Bye-Bye Beautiful", "Cadence of Her Last Breath" and mostly everything serve to prove this point. Exceptions like "Master Passion Greed" aren't enough to make the whole album worthwhile.
I never liked Nightwish. Yet, I have much respect for their old albums, and I see why people do like them. Good stuff, really, but not for me. DPP is a travesty. Of course, opinions probably vary, but we are on a site called "Metal Storm", right? DPP does indeed sound like somewhat heavier and darker pop. If you like it, it's cool, no one gives two flying fucks. But saying that Nightwish didn't loose grace with DPP implies that this album is on a level quality even somewhere near old albums, which is just plain ridiculous.
I could give you a ton more of examples (mostly from "Fuck, I wish they would disband before it gets even worse" topic), but I've better things to do.
13.02.2011 - 12:45
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 13.02.2011 at 12:26

Quoted this post, per your request to find your faulty arguments.
No, firing Tarja didn't make them "loose their grace". No one ever said that, yet, like a good fanboy, you automatically jumped to conclusions and called that guy a fanboy for something he didn't even say.

He presented his opinon as fact without clarification. I was purposefully rude to shock him out of complacency. I do that. Had he proven me wrong, I would have gladly apologized, I like intelligent people.

Quote:

Next thing. In the eyes of many, they indeed did loose their grace, simply because DPP sounds like a purely Disney version of what Nightwish should sound. "For The Heart I Once Had", "7 Days to The Wolves", "Bye-Bye Beautiful", "Cadence of Her Last Breath" and mostly everything serve to prove this point.

And this is what I expected to get from him, but I got it from you. There's absolutely no qualitative gap between the commercial singles
from Once and the commercial singles from DPP. Amaranth and Nemo, Wish I Had An Angel and Bye Bye Beautiful are along the exact same vein. So since the music didn't change, what's this about if not about the fact that Tarja is no longer in the band?

Quote:

Exceptions like "Master Passion Greed" aren't enough to make the whole album worthwhile.

Nightwish has had fillers on every albums since Wishmaster. DPP is no exception. Why didn't anyone have a problem with "Forever Yours" or "Dead Gardens"? Why does Once get away with filler crap, but DPP doesn't? What's this about if not about the fact that Tarja is no longer in the band?

Quote:

DPP is a travesty.

Despite featuring two of the heaviest songs they've ever done and being the first album where a full symphonic orchestra plays on every song. What's wrong with it, other than the fact that Tarja's no longer in the band?

Quote:

DPP does indeed sound like somewhat heavier and darker pop.

I am going to bet 10 bucks that your knowledge of pop can be summed up in less than 1 sentence.

Quote:

But saying that Nightwish didn't loose grace with DPP implies that this album is on a level quality even somewhere near old albums, which is just plain ridiculous.

There you go, presenting your opinion as fact and revealing the true reason for your attack.
13.02.2011 - 12:57
Slayer666
Good god, you're stubborn. If Toumas himself came to you, and told you exactly what I did, you'd still probably think exactly the same way. Not to mention your rather unique talent to completely forgo the real meaning of sentence and bend it in a way that suits your arguments.
I give up, dude, you win. DPP rules, Tarja is a talentless skank and Tuomas is god. You're just way too much for me.
13.02.2011 - 14:47
RavenKing
Written by Slayer666 on 13.02.2011 at 12:57

Good god, you're stubborn. If Toumas himself came to you, and told you exactly what I did, you'd still probably think exactly the same way. Not to mention your rather unique talent to completely forgo the real meaning of sentence and bend it in a way that suits your arguments.
I give up, dude, you win. DPP rules, Tarja is a talentless skank and Tuomas is god. You're just way too much for me.

Slayer666: Don't loose your time arguing with him. This guy is hopeless, at least as far as Nightwish is concerned. It will only end up as a few pages of stupid comments from him, like it happened on the other thread.
----
13.02.2011 - 18:25
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 13.02.2011 at 12:57

Good god, you're stubborn. If Toumas himself came to you, and told you exactly what I did, you'd still probably think exactly the same way.

You do have trouble staying on topic, don't ya? I asked you what is the difference between commercial singles from Once (the ones you like) and commercial singles from DPP. Why don't you explain yourself instead of resorting to red herrings about what Tuomas might think.

Quote:

Not to mention your rather unique talent to completely forgo the real meaning of sentence and bend it in a way that suits your arguments.

You know, projecting is an unhealthy habit.

Quote:

I never said DPP rules, Tarja is talentless or Tuomas is god, you little liar. I said that there's no difference between two commercial singles and that there's no reason to hate DPP for having them, when Once get's away with it. Be a man, stop crying about "opinions" and back up your statements.
13.02.2011 - 18:33
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Irritable Ted on 13.02.2011 at 13:27

I liked DDP. IN MY OPINION it was the best work that they had ever done. IN MY OPINION it was not pop.

The question isn't really whether DPP was pop or not (and that's not a question of opinions, if somebody thinks The Beatles were metal, they have the right to think so, but they ARE wrong), the question is: why does having commercial singles make DPP pop, but not Once? This is why Tarja fanboys fail so pathetically in their objections to Dark Passion Play, because when they condemn Bye Bye Beautiful and Amaranth for their commercial appeal, then they have to do so with Wish I Had An Angel and Nemo as well, because those singles too were played on radio stations and tv music channels across Europe.
13.02.2011 - 20:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=105293] on 13.02.2011 at 18:33

...the question is: why does having commercial singles make DPP pop, but not Once?

Since nobody seems to be able to answer this/you, I'll give it a shot.

DPP was, in spite of featuring commercial singles, considerably less "structured" than Once (in terms of consistency, even though, as previously stated, Once too had its own bits of filler). Regardless of the vocalist, DPP wouldn't have been any better even if Tarja herself loaned her voice. It felt lacking in direction (which may be contradictory, because it was so direct in its delivery), but Once seemed more complete with a little more variation.

What makes DPP more "pop" than Once is completely subjective, but I suppose my opinion on the matter would be the lack of Tarja. Annette has a very...pop-driven voice, not like Britney Spears (laughed at those comments). The music itself may not be more "pop" than on Once, but the feel (as a result of the vocals) is.

I don't know if I can offer a better explanation than that, but I'm guessing that's why Tarja "fanboys" claim DPP was such a piece of crap when they won't say the same for Once.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.02.2011 - 20:43
RavenKing
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.02.2011 at 20:26

Annette has a very...pop-driven voice, not like Britney Spears

She doesn't sound like Britney Spears but she definitely sounds very reminiscent of Dolores O'Riordan, Imo.
Though I prefer Dolores, since at least her voice was original when The Cranberries started and I think she's a better singer than Anette.
----
13.02.2011 - 20:53
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.02.2011 at 20:26

What makes DPP more "pop" than Once is completely subjective, but I suppose my opinion on the matter would be the lack of Tarja.

That's my point actually, it has nothing to do with the music. Master Passion Greed and Whoever Brings The Night are the heaviest songs they've ever done, The Poet And The Pendulum is the most symphonic song they've ever done and Marco was always a better metal singer than Tarja.

Hits total: 6918 | This month: 7