Metal Storm logo
Death/Doom Appreciation

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 13.09.2006 - 01:15
This thread was created to pay homeage to great Death Metal bands who add Doom Metal elements to their sonic assaults. These bands include the greats such as Autopsy, Morbid Angel, Incantation and dISEMBOWELMENT to lesser knowns such as Mausoleum and Coffins. Discuss, recomend and appreciate great Death/Doom bands
15.09.2006 - 00:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 15.09.2006 at 00:05

Written by Bad English on 13.09.2006 at 14:55

Written by Guest on 13.09.2006 at 14:50

My Dying Bride are one of my favourite bands ever, but I haven't heard much other Doom/Death stuff.

One band you should check out if you can is Mael Mordha - they're Irish, they play a style of music that they call Gaelic Doom Metal. It's very good. You could probably hear some of their songs on Dvblinia Radio - just request one of their songs on it and it'll get played straight away.

if we talking about Irish death/doom metal you shood try Morning Beloved thay are just unique and poeticall irsih band ever only some poems about Sinn Fein and IRA are poetical how this band

PS there was one more irish band but i forgot nme sorry :

I've heard a lot of good things about Mourning Beloveth, I've never heard them though. I'll check them out soon, thanks for the recommendation.

I tried to get a Mael Mordha CD yesterday in Sentinel (the only Irish metal store really), but they didn't have them for some reason. Ah well. I'll look at getting some Mourning Beloveth there... any spefiic recommendations? Which Mourning Beloveth album should I get?

By the way, this is off-topic - but you're from Latvia, right? The Irish metal scene is fairly underground in Ireland - I would never have thought that it'd have spread much outside of Ireland - how big is Irish metal outside of Ireland do you know? And are Primordial the other band you were going to mention? They're very good - they're sort of black metal with a doomy vibe, particularly on their debut album "Imrama".

Its be hard to get Morning beloved albums, you shood concatct whit bnd or try in amazon or ebay, or you can get only last album 'A Murderous Circus' 2005 and I dont think you get demo and 2 albums 'Dusk'' and 'The Sullen Sulcus' thay are older and you cn dounloud them

I know Mael Mórdha good band

Ok man Im from Latvia

I know Prinmodorian, Think Lizzy, Mourning Belowed and there was some bvands what I like Cruachan, Celtic legacy, Waylander, Sweet Savage and there wa ssome morre bands but I cant know them all
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.09.2006 - 01:04
Sidragasum
Account deleted
Oh, I can get any Irish metal album easily (I'm Irish) - we have a shop in town called Sentinel that stock lots of Irish bands.

I was asking, is the Irish metal scene big outside of Ireland? I mean, are there a lot of people in Latvia (or wherever) that would listen to Irish metal? I thought it was onl an Irish thing (and even in Ireland it's pretty underground).
15.09.2006 - 01:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 15.09.2006 at 01:04

Oh, I can get any Irish metal album easily (I'm Irish) - we have a shop in town called Sentinel that stock lots of Irish bands.

I was asking, is the Irish metal scene big outside of Ireland? I mean, are there a lot of people in Latvia (or wherever) that would listen to Irish metal? I thought it was onl an Irish thing (and even in Ireland it's pretty underground).

About it read my PM nd I know also Irish bands like this Gaasa, lunar gate
I know you shood tr this band From a Great Height its doom
http://www.mp3.com.au/FromaGreatHeight/

and good old school death/doom band Arcane Sun but you wpont get CD, try dounloud, even its gard to find it, I once get it
----

apos;'
[image]
18.09.2006 - 00:16
CianideDeath
Account deleted
he was asking about Irish metal in general
18.09.2006 - 00:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Beck to topic you all shood try this german band Dark Millennium ist so old school and rear getible, such amazibg band
----

apos;'
[image]
18.09.2006 - 00:45
ylside
Staff
Written by Bad English on 18.09.2006 at 00:36

Beck to topic you all shood try this german band Dark Millennium ist so old school and rear getible, such amazibg band

Yes... Actually I never thought of them being really Doom/Death, but they do.. lol. Both albums are in fact great doom/death, however it doesn't really have the "Growls" you'll expect from a Doom Death band. Clearly a nice recommendation like Kariasakis told you. I second it fully
18.09.2006 - 00:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ylside on 18.09.2006 at 00:45

Written by Bad English on 18.09.2006 at 00:36

Yes... Actually I never thought of them being really Doom/Death, but they do.. lol. Both albums are in fact great doom/death, however it doesn't really have the "Growls" you'll expect from a Doom Death band. Clearly a nice recommendation like Kariasakis told you. I second it fully

Not ll death/doom band sshood be grols, for example Anathema early vocals and My Dying Bride its not growls, maybe lil but but this band are simmilar, but Paradise Lost, Katatonia there are growls also good band are Fall Of Emyrium, its not clear death/doom, but still whit fiew death metal elements
----

apos;'
[image]
18.09.2006 - 00:57
ylside
Staff
It's just that Dark Millennium's vocals in both albums is a bit weak sometimes, it would have been MUCH more pleasant to hear (especially for the first album) if it has some sewer vox
But yeah you're right there.
18.09.2006 - 01:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Ylside - i like vocls in dark millenium and but yes maybe sometime sit can be stronger but still ban lyrics are like death/doom and almoust all here are
----

apos;'
[image]
24.09.2006 - 12:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
You ll shood check Distress from France, band are in MS too
In home page are 3 songs
Ive Seen...
Searching Extsy
Your Turn(Baneath The Black Sun)
ban dr egood and its death/blck/doom metal some times I cn hear there female vocals and band are good and I serch them lyrics ower 3 yera snow and I cant get them
----

apos;'
[image]
11.01.2007 - 19:10
ylside
Staff
Another british doom death band that is worth it, Decomposed. Deceased long ago however their only album (Hope Finally Died) is really great.
11.01.2007 - 21:15
Sunioj
I only really heard Novembers Doom, but other than that I dont really know where to start, recommendations?
11.01.2007 - 23:19
Southern Wind
Account deleted
it's always better to start by the classics.. Winter, Dusk, Decomposed, Asphyx
11.01.2007 - 23:34
ylside
Staff
Didn't know that Decomposed was a classic!
12.01.2007 - 04:49
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by ylside on 11.01.2007 at 23:34

Didn't know that Decomposed was a classic!

they are not but they SHOULD... I'm just helping to create the myth
12.01.2007 - 19:09
ylside
Staff
Yes indeed they do! About Asphyx, their only doom death album is their self titled "Asphyx" right ? I've heard 4 albums and that's the Doom/DM one, which happens to be my fav Asphyx anyway!
12.01.2007 - 19:56
Mikkh
Account deleted
well about Doom.. there's a Funeral Dom metal band Called Skepticism.. they have some very good stuff... im not a doom fan but i like some of it... the "Stormcrow fleet" album... has a song called "The rising flames".. is very good.. very slow.. very... I dunno i just like it xD
13.01.2007 - 01:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 12.01.2007 at 19:56

well about Doom.. there's a Funeral Dom metal band Called Skepticism.. they have some very good stuff... im not a doom fan but i like some of it... the "Stormcrow fleet" album... has a song called "The rising flames".. is very good.. very slow.. very... I dunno i just like it xD

Good band werry good and I love it and BTW band lives in London now, but ist funeral doom, but this is death/doom tread
----

apos;'
[image]
13.01.2007 - 04:19
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by ylside on 12.01.2007 at 19:09

Yes indeed they do! About Asphyx, their only doom death album is their self titled "Asphyx" right ? I've heard 4 albums and that's the Doom/DM one, which happens to be my fav Asphyx anyway!

well, unfortunately I had never lsitened to their self-titled, but all what I had heard have a doomer touch... of course they always considered themselves as a straight death metal band, but they involuntarily helped to shape the death/doom genre...

Many will disagree with me and call me ignorant, but another band that shouldn't be overlooked in this thread are Septic Flesh
13.01.2007 - 10:27
DOOM
Account deleted
I wondered why i used to visit here... now i know, you guys know some great bands! Downloaded a few of the afforementioned, liked what i heard. I also love the genera. MDB's 'Turn Loose the Swan' is still the mildstone for me personally.
01.02.2007 - 01:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
http://www.frozenpain.com/
Awsoem Brazilian band what I just discovere now thay has demo and album and demo are for free there + 2 songs of album, chech out
----

apos;'
[image]
02.02.2007 - 06:10
DOOM
Account deleted
Morgion.

EDIT:
But, well, what other band is there that compares to Opeth in the death/doom class? Ok., this appears to have turned into a whos who is the undergroun unknown underground acts. But, who is better than Opeth at death/doom? Well the piano... wow, that kills me.
03.02.2007 - 22:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 03.02.2007 at 22:01

But, well, what other band is there that compares to Opeth in the death/doom class? Ok., this appears to have turned into a whos who is the undergroun unknown underground acts. But, who is better than Opeth at death/doom? Well the piano... wow, that kills me.

Opeth to death doom
There are no death doom melodies its not so slow its more death metal melodies how doom in Opeth music
----

apos;'
[image]
20.02.2007 - 07:46
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
@CianideDeath: Why the hell did you put Autopsy, Morbid Angel and Incantation as bands that play Death/Doom in the opening post? They dont play anything like Death/Doom just straight Death Metal...

My favourites of this genre would be My Dying Bride and one of the first bands on this scene Disembowelment. Suprised that not much has been said about Disembowelment in this thread actually.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
20.02.2007 - 13:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Xtreme Jax on 20.02.2007 at 07:46

@CianideDeath: Why the hell did you put Autopsy, Morbid Angel and Incantation as bands that play Death/Doom in the opening post? They dont play anything like Death/Doom just straight Death Metal...

My favourites of this genre would be My Dying Bride and one of the first bands on this scene Disembowelment. Suprised that not much has been said about Disembowelment in this thread actually.

Hahhaa god point why I didnt saw it but well those bands has such old school sound specely in demos and fisrt album, even if its not death/doom but still ist old school,
----

apos;'
[image]
20.02.2007 - 19:16
ylside
Staff
Autopsy's Mental Funeral album DOES have doom moments.
21.02.2007 - 04:22
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Would you say its enought to actually call them Death/Doom though? I havnt heard anything from that album, but the other stuff from the albums Ive heard dont sound like they would fit into this genre.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
21.02.2007 - 17:11
ylside
Staff
Then just listen to the whole Mental Funeral album, it's actually their most known and all. You'll easily get the "doom" in it. But yeah I won't call them doom/death, it was just to answer your question about why did the thread creator talked about them.
22.02.2007 - 03:40
W-Lash
Metal Master
As someone said, Swallow The Sun is good example here. Actually it isn't death with doom elements but doom with death elements but it sounds good (i'm not sure about their last album but first two were really good).
22.02.2007 - 04:05
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
I discovered Swallow the sun of a Promotion CD that I got with a Napalm Death Cd. They are actually a very good band, and like lash said, theyre doom with death elements, no doubt about that.