Metal Storm logo
Danzig

Original post

Posted by Darth Satanious, 17.05.2006 - 23:43
Here is the thread for the band of such an influential person as Danzig has been. His works with The Misfits have been covered by great bands such as "Guns N' Roses" and "Metallica" (James Hetfield acknowledges that he saw Danzig voice as an inspiration in order to develop an original voice as unique as his). Danzig's voice is one of the greatest out there, at least for me. He was first known for working with the Punk band: The Misfits. Leaving them after considering he was growing musically too fast for his band mates to keep up with him. Then he created Samhain and after that he created his own solo band which was intended to be since a long time ago but for some reasons he didn't rushed to put it out.

My favorite songs from them are: "Am I Demon", "How The Gods Kill" (love the video too ) and his most known song and often hated: "Mother".

What do you think of this band?
03.10.2007 - 08:34
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.10.2007 at 08:17

Written by Doc G. on 15.09.2007 at 00:36

@K7

Am I Demon
Mother
She Rides
Twist Of Cain
Killer Wolf
I Dont Mind The Pain
Cantspeak
How The Gods Kill
Bodies
Dirty Black Summer
Kiss The Skull
Wicked Pussycat
Sistinas
Five Finger Crawl
Under Her Black Wings
Its Coming Down
Crawl Across Your Killing Floor
Im The One
Circle Of Snakes
Devils Plaything

That should be all of them.

BTW-Watch Chuck Biscuits (the drummer) in 'She Rides' and 'Am I Demon' and you'll understand why hes my favorite drummer/idol...

I remember seeing Danzig in the early nineties live with Chuck Biscuits and Chuck was standing up the entire duration of the concert. That was the first time I ever saw a drummer standing up while playing.

whoa, like actually standing? cus you'll notice in the videos he has his seat really high so hes almost standing, but seriously standing? thats wierd, howd he play the bass drum?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.10.2007 - 08:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@Rock, yes actually standing. You can play the bassdrum with one foot of course, even though you might have it sound like double bass.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.10.2007 - 23:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@Marcel
Thats really wierd, he must be pretty fast if he play songs like 'The Hunter' with one foot.
----
- George Carlin
04.10.2007 - 00:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
'The Hunter' makes me laugh. Was one of my favorite Danzig songs until I picked up an old Albert King cd...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.10.2007 - 07:35
TokiGodSlayer
Account deleted
I LOVE DANZIG! IM GONNA GO SEE THE MISFITS NOV. 24 JUST TO SEE HIM AND SEE IF THEY PLAY AND DANZIG SONGS WHICH IM SURE THEY WILL CUZ MOST BANDS DO THAT LIKE OZZY WITH BLACK SABBATH AND SUCH.
10.10.2007 - 02:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=26286] on 09.10.2007 at 07:35

I LOVE DANZIG! IM GONNA GO SEE THE MISFITS NOV. 24 JUST TO SEE HIM AND SEE IF THEY PLAY AND DANZIG SONGS WHICH IM SURE THEY WILL CUZ MOST BANDS DO THAT LIKE OZZY WITH BLACK SABBATH AND SUCH.

Ok buddy, the caps lock really makes your post that much better. But why anyone would want to see misfits without danzig beats the hell out of me. Michael Graves misfits sounds pretty emo to me.
----
- George Carlin
10.10.2007 - 09:14
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Sony Legacy will reissue the following five Danzig albums on November 13:

"Danzig" (1988)
"Danzig II: Lucifuge" (1990)
"Danzig III: How the Gods Kill" (1992)
"Thrall - DemonSweatLive" (1993)
"Danzig IV" (1994)

But the reissues are not expected to include any bonus tracks or new material.
10.10.2007 - 09:55
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
meh, have them all, so no need to spend any more coin.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.10.2007 - 16:04
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Doc G. on 10.10.2007 at 02:35

Written by [user id=26286] on 09.10.2007 at 07:35

Ok buddy, the caps lock really makes your post that much better. But why anyone would want to see misfits without danzig beats the hell out of me. Michael Graves misfits sounds pretty emo to me.

Can't disagree more with you here. Michale Graves has excellent pipes and I don't know why there is so much bashing against him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LN6RLGambA

I guess it could possibly be because he was meant to fill the place for Danzig, and anyone due to do such thing was likely to find rejection. And the NY Ranger song is not anything to bitch that much about. Moreover, the Graves era spawned one of my all time favorite tracks from Misfits which comes to be a Metal song.

By the way, when did Graves return to Misfits? I haven't found any information on that. He still seems to be focused in solo projects and Misfits seems to be a three piece of Jerry Only (bass, vocals), Dez Cadena (guitars) and ROBO (drums).
----
Christless
09.11.2007 - 21:23
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Danzig's little problem on stage here.
09.11.2007 - 23:37
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by White Winter Sun on 10.10.2007 at 09:14

"Danzig" (1988)
"Danzig IV" (1994)

That's a good thing. Means there's no need to shell out another 15 bucks for two or three stupid covers. Get his compilation for bonuses.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
13.11.2007 - 00:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lucas on 09.11.2007 at 23:37

Written by White Winter Sun on 10.10.2007 at 09:14

"Danzig" (1988)
"Danzig IV" (1994)

That's a good thing. Means there's no need to shell out another 15 bucks for two or three stupid covers. Get his compilation for bonuses.

Im just glad I bought 1-4 before this, because soon its gonna be hard to get the original CDs.
----
- George Carlin
23.01.2008 - 18:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
----

24.01.2008 - 06:41
deadset61
Account deleted
I've only heard his first album which I thought was pretty cool. Haven't heard many good things about the others so I havent bothered. I do like what he did with the misfits too though.
24.01.2008 - 07:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=27188] on 24.01.2008 at 06:41

I've only heard his first album which I thought was pretty cool. Haven't heard many good things about the others so I havent bothered. I do like what he did with the misfits too though.

If you liked the first album, you'll definitly like II: Lucifuge. I also enjoyed 3 & 4, but after that without Chuck Biscuits, Eerie Von, and John Christ, the music starts to suffer. Which is a shame considering Danzig 1-4 are some of my favorite albums of all time.
----
- George Carlin
24.01.2008 - 14:58
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@BitterCOld: he looks plowed!
25.01.2008 - 00:33
deadset61
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 24.01.2008 at 07:10

Written by [user id=27188] on 24.01.2008 at 06:41

If you liked the first album, you'll definitly like II: Lucifuge. I also enjoyed 3 & 4, but after that without Chuck Biscuits, Eerie Von, and John Christ, the music starts to suffer. Which is a shame considering Danzig 1-4 are some of my favorite albums of all time.

Thanks maybe ill check them out now
29.01.2008 - 22:51
I am somewhat surprised at the lack of appreciation for IV on this thread. I didn't care for BlackAcidDevil much, but IV is excellent.
30.01.2008 - 04:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by theflyingmachine on 29.01.2008 at 22:51

I am somewhat surprised at the lack of appreciation for IV on this thread. I didn't care for BlackAcidDevil much, but IV is excellent.

Yeah, it is good but I bought it at the same time as 2 and 3, and played them in consecutive order, and after going through Lucifuge and How The Gods Kill, IV just didn't impact me as hard, other than 'Cantspeak' and 'I Don't Mind The Pain' nothing on the album really moved me nearly as much as the stuff from the first 3. But its still great, relatively speaking its not as good though.
----
- George Carlin
04.02.2008 - 23:59
stigma77
Account deleted
The first four albums are great but, after that, nothing stands out.

I've heard the new compilation (Last Tracks) is very good though!!!
07.02.2008 - 01:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=28860] on 04.02.2008 at 23:59

The first four albums are great but, after that, nothing stands out.

I've heard the new compilation (Last Tracks) is very good though!!!

I'm not sure great is exactly the word to describe it, its more interesting and educational for Danzig fans who are looking for hidden stuff than actually released stuff, as I think I previously said, theres some stuff on there thats no question as to why it didn't make it onto an album, but its still very interesting to hear if your already a Danzig fan. Wouldn't recommend it if your just starting to get into Danzig.
----
- George Carlin
19.10.2008 - 23:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I jsut lsiten this band now and soemhow his voice remainds me lil Jim Morrison voice from The Doors his voice is deep, natuaraly deep(Jim wa smore from smokeing and drinking)
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.10.2008 - 03:03
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by White Winter Sun on 09.11.2007 at 21:23

Danzig's little problem on stage here.

, well at least he got up alright.
20.10.2008 - 09:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like only early Danzig albums firts 3 or 4 , leither seems he starts experments and even nowdays he play same type of music I dont like it, it isnt classical Danzig like he was at firts albums
----

apos;'
[image]
20.10.2008 - 19:10
Branzig
I am a die hard Danzig fan. My user name is a play on his name and my own haha. He was really the first artist to get me into heavy music.

One of my first, and possible my all time favorite bands, was the original Misfits. I just loved how their lyrics were filled with so much gore-filled-fun, and how their singer was more melodic than many other "whiny" punk singers. I feel in love with their catalog and naturally went out to search the other members works...turns out only Danzig's shit was worth anything (besides the Undead). From Misfits I went on to Samhain, and from there to his solo act, Danzig. I have pretty much every album he or one of his respective bands have put out. I've also seen him live 3 times, once with the original bassist of Samhain in which they did an entire encore of Samhan songs. It was fucking incredible.
----
In Grind We Crust
25.10.2008 - 22:43
Gigginova
Account deleted
@Bad English: yeah, it seemed like he was tryign to copy Nine Inch Nails when he changed into a more electronic sound, he's returning to more hard rovk, but still not the blues rock sound we knew and loved of the band. Wow and his cover of Elvis Presley's "Trouble" was fantastic!

@Branzig: When I first joined the site in like '03, my username was danzig111 . The music is addictive because it's so unique in a way
09.02.2011 - 14:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Simmilar band from Chile, werry interesting
Skeletan Horseman
http://www.myspace.com/skeletalhorsemenband
----

apos;'
[image]
03.01.2012 - 19:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I listened to "How the Gods Kill", awesome song.

Out of curiosity (everyone keeps saying that his voice has gone shit over the past years) I listened to "Hammer of the Gods" off the last album, wow, even I could do a better vocal performance than that.
04.01.2012 - 22:57
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
I saw Danzig live ahwile back and they are fucking righteous. Way better live than in the studio i think, the distortion of the guitars was way heavy and every song was done perfect. One of the best mosh pits ive ever been in too. Danzig is an awesome band.
10.01.2014 - 22:54
DyingWorld
I'm not sure why this is in the rock section as Danzig is pretty much a metal band. Anyway, I love his time with the Misfits and Samhain. The first four Danzig albums are amazing too. I just got done listening to "How The Gods Kill", one of my favorite albums. I also think this guy gets way too much shit. I'm not drooling fanboy but come on, he's paid his dues. Got to see him last October and it was one of the greatest shows I've ever been to.